Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » Comic Cup III -- Enter All Who Dare

Author

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

I have absolutely no idea what's going on. This is too much like work.

I'm pretty sure I lost, though!

I'm going back to something I can understand, like the artwork of Erol Otis.

---
What others say about boorite!

8-13-01 8:52am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Spankling
Looking for love in ALL the wrong places, baby!

Member Rated:

I feel stagnation closing in. Perhaps you should pull a Katherine Harris (AKA: The Maybelline Marauder) and declare a winner before all the votes are in. If it makes things easier had I a vote it would go to DH, even if kaufman's strip is included.

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

8-13-01 11:05am (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Hmmm... Boo's given up his vote appearantly. If I don't hear from Gabe and NastyPope in the next few hours, I'm just going to close the round. Looks like you may have just lost your losing streak Spanks.

8-13-01 12:44pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Yeah, I gave up my vote. I don't really understand the rules. Missed the first two cups.

---
What others say about boorite!

8-13-01 1:05pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

The rules are simple: Vote on which comic you think is funnier: Spankling's or DH-01's. Or don't.

The rest of the stuff is tangential right now.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

8-13-01 1:09pm (new)

NastyPope
His Holiness Archamian the First

Member Rated:

My vote is for DH-01

---
At least im still funny .....looking. http://www.carrionfields.com

8-13-01 1:10pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Well, that's it... We need to get this thing back on the road. Since the last count was 6 - 5 in Spankling's favor, he advances to the semifinals. Personally, I would have voted for DH-01, but there was no tie, so it doesn't matter.

From now on the judging period will be 24 hours, and the vote count at the end of that time period will be the final score.

Give me a moment and I'll post the rules for round 2.

8-13-01 4:20pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Round 2: NastyPope vs crabby

Spankling has finally managed a win in his Comic Cup career, and with that we move on to a match between last Cup's finalist NastyPope and crabby, who seems to be improving as of late.

1) In this round, you will be sent back to the basics. Use only the default asian girls and no background in your comic.

2) Reference a popular ad campaign such as "Oh, what a feeling!" or "Finger lickin' good!"

3) Make the theme of this comic center around online dating. One or both of the asian girls must be involved in a date spawned of the internet.

Good luck, both of you!

8-13-01 4:26pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

quote:

That's absolutely correct, Wirthling. At least that is how it seems to Laura. It does keep turning out the same way, though it is open to debate whether the guys she keeps falling for are truly leftist nuts. She forms the opinion that a guy is a leftist nut only when he asks her to have an abortion. The strip actually lampoons an infamous conservative who makes snap judgements about people.

I understood the leftist nut thing, but the rest is a bit much to expect a person to have absorbed from that one repeated panel.

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

8-13-01 4:37pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

The abortion part was what threw me... I mean, how many kids does this woman have? o_O

8-13-01 4:53pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

I demand a recount! My chad was dangling! The last I saw was 6-5 DH-01. Will someone else count again. His stuff is too good to get Gored.

Either way - keep coming to these DH. I like reading your stuff!

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

8-13-01 6:34pm (new)

fpd
Doctor of Fine Parody

Member Rated:

I demand a recount! My chad was dangling! The last I saw was 6-5 DH-01. Will someone else count again. His stuff is too good to get Gored.

I did a recount, and it confirms the 6-5 in your favor. The six who voted for you were skagg, Graehe, descolada99, wirthling, crabby, and kaufman. The five who voted for DH-01 were me, DexX, ladyjdotnet, evil_d, and NastyPope. Gabe and Boorite did not vote.

---
FPD is the foremost plague on discussion boards. Do your part to stomp out FPD.

8-13-01 7:31pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

nevermind. thanks for screwing up my perfect record.

---

8-13-01 7:36pm (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

None, apparently.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

8-13-01 8:09pm (new)

fpd
Doctor of Fine Parody

Member Rated:

quote:
quote:

That's absolutely correct, Wirthling. At least that is how it seems to Laura. It does keep turning out the same way, though it is open to debate whether the guys she keeps falling for are truly leftist nuts. She forms the opinion that a guy is a leftist nut only when he asks her to have an abortion. The strip actually lampoons an infamous conservative who makes snap judgements about people.

I understood the leftist nut thing, but the rest is a bit much to expect a person to have absorbed from that one repeated panel.

Of course, it would be ridiculous for me to expect everyone to get it. Effective humor relies on a sudden intuitive shift in perspective, which depends on a person's prior knowledge and on how the person's mind pieces together details. I could have written the strip to make it more obvious. For example, I could have called the character Dr. Laura instead of just Laura. But that would have given too much away, because the humor of a joke depends not only on whether a person gets it but also on how much a person has to figure out to get a joke. (Besides that, it wasn't factually accurate about Dr. Laura anyway.) When a person has to figure out more stuff to get a joke, the shift in perspective is greater, and the humor is greater. Thus, effective humor involves a balance between giving someone enough information to get the joke but not so much to dilute the shift in perspective. Unfortunately, there is no perfect balance at which everyone will get a joke and also think it's extremely funny. When information is hidden to strengthen the impact of a joke, it increases the chance that someone won't get it.

---

8-13-01 8:12pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

It's understandable that you're afraid you may have to face the formidable crabby in the semifinals. But we all went into this knowing we might win. Finding out that we weren't total losers was a risk we chose to take.

Anyway, if you ask me, you lost your "completely defeated" record when you beat out seven other strippers for a place in the quarterfinals. So suck it up and take your victory like a man, or at least like a woman with very manly qualities.

---

8-13-01 8:15pm (new)

fpd
Doctor of Fine Parody

Member Rated:

None, apparently.

At least three.

---

8-13-01 8:15pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

None, apparently.

At least three.

Right. Now that I actually bothered to go back and read the strip before posting.

But I could still be right. The strip never explicitly states that Laura has been impregnated by each boyfriend -- just that they want her to have an abortion. The three panels could take place during, say, three consecutive weeks, all within the first trimester of Laura's first pregnancy.

Ah, logic games. So much fun.

---

8-13-01 8:22pm (new)

DH-01
Stripcreator Regular

Member Rated:

Damn. So close, yet so far.

Heh, thanks for actually, y'know, liking me and stuffs. I tried, but apparently it was my DESTINY to give Spanky the duke.

I will have to post a comic in his honor now.

Excuse me. ^_^

-DH1

---
Needs more sodomy.

8-13-01 9:56pm (new)

DH-01
Stripcreator Regular

Member Rated:

8-13-01 10:08pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

For what it's worth, I prefered your comic DH. A lot of good that does you now that you've been reamed by your creations, though...

8-13-01 10:12pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Your reaming was all I really wanted. Winning only ruined my record. Who knows. The next time you deserve to win, maybe you will! Enjoy voting against me later!

---

8-13-01 10:47pm (new)

crabby
I have an awesome avatar.

Member Rated:

8-14-01 5:02am (new)

skagg
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

i liked that

its gonna take a goodie to stop me voting for crabs this time

---
Who knows what fear lurks in the hearts of men? MIKE BOBSICO KNOWS! And if you give him a decent tip when he delivers your mail , he might tell you.

8-14-01 6:43am (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

Yes, but that's the heroin talking.

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

8-14-01 8:43am (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » Comic Cup III -- Enter All Who Dare

reload page with comics