Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP ONE: Kramer_vs Fuzzy Choad Lawson

Author

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

The only thing I've ever heard by Soul Coughing was the track they did with Roni Size on the Spawn soundtrack. Which I would imagine isn't representative of their usual output.

2-25-04 1:41am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

I received choad's and kramer's discs today before I left for work.

Fuzzy - that was another unique piece of work, which worked surprisingly well. Except for Celine Dion and Aguilera [sp?] (she sounds like Whitney Houston circa 1990) all of those versions were cracking, especially the jazzier ones.

Mine will be dispatched in the next couple of days; your patience is appreciated.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

2-26-04 3:25am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

That was quick, I only posted them yesterday.

2-26-04 5:11am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I listened to both CDs last night and I liked what I heard, more comments to come.

---

2-27-04 3:15am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

I listened to Choad's CD on the bus this morning and liked it muchly.

2-27-04 3:50am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the music on Choad's CD, but my wife really enjoys it. I played it for her in the car, asking her, "Okay, so what kind of music is this?"

It's sorty of retro-techno-dancy-loungy-something. There are moments of billiance (yes, Ape Shall Never Kill Ape stands out) and moments of extreme annoyance (and early track with some guy mumbling something I CANNOT FARGING UNDERSTAND).

I can say that Choad has definiely paid a great deal of attention to the order of the songs on the "flow." Nicely done. A more detailed review to come.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

2-27-04 4:06am (new)

MikeyG
Shoots the shit and often misses

Member Rated:

No, it isn't at all. If you check out their album Irresistable Bliss, I'm sure you've heard at least one track on there.

---
The giant three-phallused phallus of Uzbekistan will one day squirt the cosmic jizz of revenge all over Canada.

2-27-04 10:41am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

quote:

It's sorty of retro-techno-dancy-loungy-something. There are moments of billiance (yes, Ape Shall Never Kill Ape stands out) and moments of extreme annoyance (and early track with some guy mumbling something I CANNOT FARGING UNDERSTAND).

He's not mumbling, he's Glaswegian. Whenever I hear that song, I find myself trying to mimic that accent for the rest of the day.

2-27-04 10:21pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

"Promised Much. Delivered Little."

That's going to be written on my tombstone. Also it's accurate, in that I'm only sending out one disc. I weighed up sending out two discs and mix tape copies, versus expediency.

The swap disc is going out on Monday to my group buddies. Anyone who I promised a swap with may have to wait.

---

2-29-04 3:33pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

quote:

The swap disc is going out on Monday to my group buddies. Anyone who I promised a swap with on the side may have to wait only a little longer.

---

3-01-04 3:14am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

I, too, received the Choad CD and i really enjoyed it, mainly because I was familiar with maybe 35% of the bands in the mix but only owned one of the albums (Soul Coughing). It was very upbeat, which made me a tad self conscious about the tone of my mix but lately I've been mellow and so I figure everyone can deal. Anywho, it was fun to try to get a sense of Choad's personality taking in his comics, the music, and the limited info I know of him. Does anyone else think about that?

Also, I really liked the Choad figure on the inside looking at the "How far" sign. Cracked me up.

I think I'll have to purchase the Unkle album. Choad's CD was a good jumping off point for that electro-club sound for me and it's also great to write to because it doesn't bog you down in vocals. Fun stuff.

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

3-01-04 12:26pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Let's see:

Again, like all the swap CD's I've sent and received, they're a microcosm of the creator.

Choad - when I was a DJ, Dmitri from Paris would always make the cheesy disco set. Looper was a blast from the past for me. The UNKLE kicked - hadn't heard it. My kitsch sensors blew out when the Barbarella theme started. I took this to London with me last weekend nad it seemed to strike a chord with Kat and Dani when I took it round. And you're only the third person I know who's into Amon Tobin. And a track I hadn't heard as well. Literally this CD was "Welcome to the world of chaodwarrior"

With kramer's swap Cds (:0 and :|) he seems to have done his own version of what I did last time.

:|, which I listened to first, is the "introspective" pretty haunting, and leaves you with a sense of yoin in places. I get drawn back to some of my own experiences and feelings of living in Scotland. Liked this one the best.

:0 is the "outrospective". Damn you for not providing a tracklisting. The name of that "electroclash" one bugs me like fluck. My biggest surprise was when I looked up the lyrics to that disturbing "Come and dance with me, Michael" track on the 'Net and found it was Franz Ferdinand, and not something recorded 20 years ago. You had a lot of fluff under the needle for your last two tracks, which killed it a bit, but not totally.

All 3 CDs were excellent and deserve many listenings - I might have not liked all the tracks but as far as the CDs go as a whole I'll be listening to them all again; I don't think I'm going to get choad's back though.

Mine are in transit. Liner notes will be posted here, after you get them.

---

3-01-04 4:15pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

kvk's CD has arrived. Much listening shall ensue.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

3-01-04 4:39pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I started listening to instrumental music when I was in high school whenever I had a paper to write or a lot to read. That practice followed me to college for the very same reason you mention above--I need a little noise around me, but if there are vocals, I'll concentrate on that instead of the task at hand.

At work now, I have jazz days and electronic/house days, depending on my mood, the weather, or what I have to get done.

Don't worry about your mellow mix, mm, I'm looking forward to it. All that bouncy music I sent out is what I listen to when I'm trying to keep my energy up. Trust me--I'm not in that mood all the time.

And Jes...I'm happy with your reaction to the CD. Of the 3 official and 1 unofficial swappers in my group, I probably knew most of your taste in music from some discussions during the halcyon days of #stripcreator. While I wasn't necessarily thinking WWJesD while I was drafting the mix, I'm glad it pleased you.

3-01-04 10:07pm (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

quote:
Let's see:
With kramer's swap Cds (:0 and :|) he seems to have done his own version of what I did last time.

:|, which I listened to first, is the "introspective" pretty haunting, and leaves you with a sense of yoin in places. I get drawn back to some of my own experiences and feelings of living in Scotland. Liked this one the best.

:0 is the "outrospective". Damn you for not providing a tracklisting. The name of that "electroclash" one bugs me like fluck. My biggest surprise was when I looked up the lyrics to that disturbing "Come and dance with me, Michael" track on the 'Net and found it was Franz Ferdinand, and not something recorded 20 years ago. You had a lot of fluff under the needle for your last two tracks, which killed it a bit, but not totally.

That was kind of the original plan, to steal your intro/outrospective idea, but it ended up degenerating more into a sort of Downbeat/ Upbeat idea. I would think that the music on :0 says just as much about me as a person as the music on :|. In a sense they're both introspective, although :0 isn't so obviously so.

I'll post a tracklisting once everyone has their copy, as well as proper reviews on Choad and Fuzzy's CDs after I've given them another listen.

3-02-04 1:47am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I got Kramer's cd today, but haven't had time to listen. I'll let you know when I do.

(oh crap...my comic count equals my post count with this..must...make...more...comics...)

3-02-04 5:31pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Nah, you just need to make more posts, choad.

---

3-03-04 2:41pm (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Okay, here's the tracklisting for my CDs.

:|

[list=1]
[*]Dntel - (This is) The Dream of Evan and Chan
Dntel is great. The album "Life is Full of Possibilities" is basically an hour and a bit of static noises with all these lovely tunes floating in and out. This was the main single off of it, and has guest vocals from the guy out of Death Cab for Cutie.
[*]An Pierle - Are Friends Electric?
The original version of this, by Tubeway Army, was number one when I was born. I really like this version, An Pierle is a much better singer than Gary Numan, although that's not really saying much.
[*]The Fieldmice - Emma's House
This is on an indie compilation I have, and I hear it occasionally in indie schmindie clubs. It's quite wistful, I think, about loss or missing someone or whatever.
[*]Cannibal Ox - Iron Galaxy
Dark, dark, tribute to NYC from the Ox. Their album is one of the most unrelentingly grim things I have ever heard. Vast Aire Kramer's verse, in particular, is a far cry from the bling bling glitzy rap you get on MTV. "I rest my head on 115, But miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean".
[*]Soundhog - A Day in Tracy's Life
This is the Kid Loco remix of "Tracy" by Mogwai mixed with "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles. I actually think it sounds better than the original version, there's a kind of dreamy quality here, and the vocals just float in and out. Incidentally, if Choad likes Dimitri from Paris, he'll probably also like Kid Loco, he does the same kind of thing.
[*]Serge Gainborough et Brigitte Bardot - Bonnie and Clyde
Notorious French perv does tribute to notorious criminals. I just love the guitar part to this, it has a kind of swagger to it.
[*]Radiohead - Exit Music (for a film)
Radiohead wrote this for the film Romeo and Juliet, but liked it so much they kept it for their own album. If you listen to the lyrics, they are definitely about the star-crossed lovers and the whole thing is very haunting and a bit sad.
[*]Gus Gus - Is Jesus your Pal?
I guess this song is about knowing there is someone there looking out for you. It is kind of heartwrenching, especially the "la la la" bit at the end. It would fair bring a tear to my eye, if I wasn't all manly like.
[*]Schneider TM - The Light 3000
The Smiths covered by a German with a vocoder. I really hate The Smiths, but I recognise this is a good song, and it sounds good not being sung by that twat Morrissey.
[*]Unkle - What are you to me?
I love Unkle. This is from the second album, when the lineup had settled a bit and they had a full-time singer. I think it's a pretty song.
[*]Blur - You're so great
Very personal, lo-fi track from Graham Coxon, off of Blur's eponymous album. It's fairly obvious that Graham can't really sing, and is shy about being recorded, which adds to the charm of this. It's a shame he got kicked out the band.
[*]The Gza - 4th Chamber (feat. The Rza, Killah Priest and Ghostface Killa)
The Wu Tang Clan used to be great but now they are too bogged down with various solo projects and merchandising deals. This track shows how good they used to be, with very dark Rza beats and that fantastic introductory sample.
[*]Wire - Outdoor Miner
Seminal 80s/90s indie band that inspired a lot of other acts (Elastica just ripped them off wholesale). I think I might be going to see them in May - yay!
[*]Primal Scream - Long Life
I always thought this was the best final track to an album ever. It's off the album "Vanishing Point", which is a very dark, oppressive album, and then this comes on and it's just like "everything's going to be okay".
[/list=1]

3-05-04 1:49am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

:O

[list=1]
[*]The Bug - Killer (feat. the Rootsman and He-Man)
The Bug does almost unlistenable Industrial Dancehall Ragga. I have seen him live twice and it is an incredible experience. Someone described it as "Skinny white boys dancing to big black music".
[*]Turbonegro - I Got Erection
Lovely sing-along hit from everyone's favourite gay Swedish metallers. I saw them at a festival last summer and was totally impressed. For some reason everyone seems to have fallen for The Darkness despite this lot doing the exact same thing, but better, for a lot longer.
[*]Vitalic - La Rock 01
This track is akin to some kind of rollercoaster that goes up and down and up and down. It's guaranteed to get me jumping about like a madman.
[*]The All Seeing I - Walk Like a Panther
The All Seeing I coaxed veteran crooner Tony Christie out of retirement in Germany to sing on this Jarvis Cocker-penned tribute to the city of Sheffield. Contains the most fantastic put-down in a song ever - "Stains that are suspect cover your clothes".
[*]Loki - What we get up to
I was totally surprised to discover Glasgow had an underground hip-hop scene. Most of the rappers are absolutely terrible (something about the accent makes them sound totally unconvincing) but this guy seems quite good, despite being a ned.
[*]Enon - Daughter in the House of Fools
This is Enon's only good song. For some reason I think it sounds a bit like a nursery rhyme, except with dirty great ragga beats. Which can only be a good thing.
[*]Girls Aloud - No Good Advice
This is the best song ever.
[*]80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Psychosis Safari
This record is brilliant, the guys sings in a strange quasi-elvis voice and there's a massive filter break in the middle and twangy guitars. When I saw them live they were absolutely hopeless, although I hear they have improved.
[*]DJ Format - Vicious Battle Raps
Comedy old-school rap from an Englishman and a Canadian. Fantastic live act, they do a thing where somebody has to down a pint before MC Abdominal can finish an 8-bar verse.
[*]Shockheaded Peters - I Bloodbrother Be
Jazz-tinged early 80's post-punk classic about how shagging boys is great because you can't get them pregnant.
[*]Franz Ferdinand - Michael
Franz Ferdinand were the resident band in a pub next to my flat last summer. I could have seen them for a fiver, but I never got around to it and now they are massive and tickets cost three times that. The bastards!
[*]Dizzee Rascal - I Luv U
The big thing in UK "urban" music just now is this guy and his mates. They do a very gritty, uncompromising style of 2-step which is much better than the shallow crap being pumped out by the bling-obsessed major label garage artists. Particularly good about this track is the way he pronounces "wife".
[*]Dr Octagon - I'm Destructive (Instrumentalist version)
Dr Octagon is a rogue gynacologist. This version is off the instrumental album, so instead of the doctor rapping about how he likes flushing frogs down the toilet you get to hear a nice man describing how he killed his own mother.
[*]The Creepers - Baby's on Fire
The Creepers cover an old Brian Eno song and turn it into a pop-disco stomper. It's great when they play it in clubs because you can't really dance to the first bit, so everyone just kind of stands around waiting for the breakdown.
[*]Sons & Daughters - Johnny Cash
This is a local band who I saw a few weeks ago. They do kind of delta-blues music, and are really good. The rhythm section is spot-on.
[*]The Fall - Kurious Oranj
I believe The Fall wrote the Kurious Oranj album as the music for some kind of opera. I'm not an expert in the Fall by any means, but I like this one, even if it does remind me of comedy character The Curious Orange.
[*]Le Tigre - Deceptacon
Decepticons!
[/list=1]

3-05-04 2:39am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

quote:
Okay, here's the tracklisting for my CDs.

:|

I realise what this CD is now. it's like a soundtrack. Humour me:

quote:

[list=1]
[*]Dntel - (This is) The Dream of Evan and Chan

Thought this was Grandaddy. Nice intro - this is the scene where the guy arrives at the airport and answers the phone.

quote:

[*]An Pierle - Are Friends Electric?

I prefer the version I saw Numan play at Reading, which was hella full of crunchy guitars. This is where we see what the guy does - he's a particularly devious and psychotic hitman, and he's just left the A-level student daughter of some mob guy strung up.

quote:

[*]The Fieldmice - Emma's House

This sounds like the Smiths - it depresses me, but again, it fits. This is played in the background in a flashback scene.

quote:

[*]Cannibal Ox - Iron Galaxy

Urban. Back to the present. The guy is driving to another job, which is in a tower block.

quote:

[*]Soundhog - A Day in Tracy's Life

I thought this was Sigur Ros. A really good mash-up.
The guy is remembering an old flame.

quote:

[*]Serge Gainborough et Brigitte Bardot - Bonnie and Clyde
Sampled by MC Solaar on "Noveau Western" 2nd favourite track on this disc. The guy is now gunning some people down in slow motion.

quote:

[*]Radiohead - Exit Music (for a film)
Not my favourite track by the 'Head, but sits nicely.
The guy has run into the old flame.

I thought this was Tricky. Very, very dark. This is the scene where the protragonists shoot up and then fuck.

quote:

[*]Schneider TM - The Light 3000

Favourite track on this. This is the scene where we suspect the guy's real mission is to "take out" the girl he just ran into.

This would also run very well with Radiohead's Idiotecque over the top of it.

quote:

[*]Unkle - What are you to me?

Says it all.

[*]Blur - You're so great

Yes, I like the lo-fi element to it. I don't know how this would fit into the film, it would probably be played in the coffee shop the guy thinks he has escaped.

quote:

[*]The Gza - 4th Chamber (feat. The Rza, Killah Priest and Ghostface Killa)
Killer intro. "Choose the way of the Lord or Know the way of the Sword" Fight music.

quote:

[*]Wire - Outdoor Miner

Didn't do it for me, but again, it fits in well with the mood of the rest of the tracks.

quote:

[*]Primal Scream - Long Life
[/list=1]

Yeah, nice finish. I don't know what happens at the end of the film, I need to drink some more and dream up the ending, but I suspect it would be something involving lots of bullet-time shots and concrete.

---

3-05-04 6:47am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

I got Jes' CD this weekend, so that's me now caught them all. I am like a Pokemon master.

Jes' CD is good, although I can't listen to "Tame" by the Pixies without thinking of the Chris Morris spoof "Motherbanger".

3-08-04 8:18am (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

I just recieved Lawson's CD (ooh, sideswapping...) and laughed at the... well... lack of colour in the cover art (compared to the picture of absinth he sent me last time...), but I have no doubt that the music will make up for it. Review pending.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

3-11-04 3:45pm (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

I would post in depth, but I'll wait till all of you do that (just so I know I'm not ruining a track-list for anyone).

I liked it. There were a few tracks on there that weren't my favourites, but on a whole it was good listenin.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

3-11-04 5:46pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I have not gotten to anyone but choad's CD yet because I keep listening to that Marijuana song over and over again.

---

3-11-04 8:27pm (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

Fuzzyman, I meant to mention this when I first saw your track list but I just kept on forgetting, or got sidetracked by shiny objects.

At Last (the Etta James version) has to be my all-time favourite song to pretend to be a blues singer to. Well, bluesy jazz singer. Regardless, its on my tracklist too. Heh. Thumbs up for an awesome song.

---

3-11-04 8:31pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP ONE: Kramer_vs Fuzzy Choad Lawson

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help