Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP THREE: Xuanwu Attitude Governor Kitty

Author

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Received: some time midweek when I was on holiday - Canadia and Picnic Basket of Melody

Review: Canadia
1. Good start, eh?
2. This rocked. I'm quite into Prog.
3. Rock. What's happened to P.O.D.?
4. Heh heh heh. Of course I'm gonna like this one.
5. Ruled. So far, this has been one rocking compilation.
6. A Nickleback song that sounds different? Bonus.
7. More rock chick action, reminds me of Hole.
8. Made me laugh very hard. The ending is priceless. I am liking this compilation very much so far...
9. I'm now psyched for fighting. And maybe some hockey.
10. Hmm...kind of 80s MOR but not too bad.
11. Good lyrics, a very insightful song.
12. Not bad
13. Urm...OK...
14. *skkrrrrt*AAAAGH! WTF? Sorry, kitty, but one of my many visions of hell is undergoing major root canal dental work by a myopic dentist with halitosis, while Celine Dion is being played through a very low quality speaker. I did however give it a chance and it was, well, I won't lie, I intend to skip it from now on.
15. Urgh...not my cup of tea, but it kind of fits the mood of the disc well, and it's not bad background music for getting the drawers off to...
16. Now this was a bit better...
17. Sounds a bit better on its second listen but it's not my kind of music really...
18. Nice. Very nice. Reminds me of "Brick" by Ben folds Five for some reason. I do like the Barenaked Ladies....
19. Ah, a nice bit of acoustic rock to finish.

Overall, a rocking start, a creamy middle, and despite one or two evil songs towards the end, this was still a true taste of the mighty Canadian music machine. Nice work, k.

Picnic Basket of Melody.
1. A'right! A'right! A'right! A'right! Nice start - this tune always reminds me of New Year '03/'04 when I went to a club in Belfast with my cousin and she started "Shakin' it like a Polaroid picture"
2. I shouldn't like this, but I do.
3. Nelly's alright as R'n'B artists go, this is quite funky.
4. I love this song. I had no idea what it was but I knew I liked the chorus. It reminds me of a band called St. Ettiene who did the rounds in the 90's over here. Cheers kitty.
5. Punk rawkin'!
6. Ha ha! Great song, great lyrics.
7. More rock. I'm liking it...
8. I love the ska flavour and the ragga vocals. Excellent.
9. Good lyrics again...
10. A classic. Scroe! I'm rocking out.
11. I usually find Linkin Park whiny, nasal and annoying but this one is good -I identify with the lyrics and it has a drum and bass style beat (which is always good)
12. Sounds like Justin Timerlake a bit
13. Ah, yes. I reviewed a pre-release copy of this when I was a college radio DJ. This has a bit more metal than the original. Needless to say I like it.
14. HA HA HA HA HA! I will NEVER get tired of hearing that...
15. You've been pre-empted by fuzzyman, but this is still my favourite version.
16. Showtunes, *ack*, but this was pretty good as far as showtunes go. Fitted the character of the disc.
17. Oh man, listening to this for the first time now and loving it.
18. Another fucking brilliant song with lyrics I identify with.
19. Good track to finish.

Rocking. Cheers kitty, that was excellent - I'm now shortlisting tracks for...well, that's a bit enthusiastic but kitty's CD has got me buzzing now...

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

4-16-04 1:25pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

quote:

3. Rock. What's happened to P.O.D.?
You know, I have absolutely no clue. Which is weird, because I have their CD (Satellite) and they've, like, completely dropped off the face of the earth.
quote:

8. Made me laugh very hard. The ending is priceless. I am liking this compilation very much so far...
Its so great because at ceilidh's and stuff, the DJ would always play this song... and all of us would know the words...
quote:

14. *skkrrrrt*AAAAGH! WTF? Sorry, kitty, but one of my many visions of hell is undergoing major root canal dental work by a myopic dentist with halitosis, while Celine Dion is being played through a very low quality speaker. I did however give it a chance and it was, well, I won't lie, I intend to skip it from now on.
hahaha... as I said before, I hated myself for putting this on. But seeing as she is so controversial, I had to. But now that I think about it, maybe I should have substituted Wide Mouth Mason or something... there was another band I thought of this morning too... meh.
quote:

2. I shouldn't like this, but I do.

That's exactly how I am. My best friend (who got me into punk) has now got me into Hip Hop/rap stuff.
quote:

12. Sounds like Justin Timerlake a bit
That's what I thought when I had first downloaded it... and so I had to look up information tomake sure that he wasn't doing a semi-cameo in a band (ie: Eminem in D12).
quote:

14. HA HA HA HA HA! I will NEVER get tired of hearing that...
If you see it on the episode, its about 10 billion times funnier.
quote:

17. Oh man, listening to this for the first time now and loving it.
18. Another fucking brilliant song with lyrics I identify with.
These are my 2 all time favourite songs. I may say differently from time to time, but in the end these two are it.
quote:

19. Good track to finish.
Finger 11 is actually Canadian... its just that I didn't have enough room on the Canadia disc... or maybe I forgot... Bah, whatevs.
quote:

Rocking. Cheers kitty, that was excellent - I'm now shortlisting tracks for...well, that's a bit enthusiastic but kitty's CD has got me buzzing now...

I already know what sort of "theme" I'm doing for my next CD... muah hahaha. its goign to be wicked sweet. Also, I'm glad you liked it. I think it shows what kind of broad musical taste I have... but I didn't put any country or classical on there... just to save all ofyou from trying to rip off your ears. :)

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

4-18-04 2:16pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Hi Kitty, I got your CDs last week, thanks, Appols for not writing sooner but Ive been on a last minute holiday, so Ive yet to give the CDs a good looking over. Expect a full review quite soon.

4-20-04 7:49am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

Received your disc, Gov. Review pending.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

4-22-04 2:06pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Presenting TheGovernor's "Time Well Spent"
A brief run down of the tracks and why I picked them.

David Axelrod - The Mental Traveler
I didnt know much about Axelrod, but a friend lent me one of his records, and well its fantastic. Picked for its Haunting guitar, and because I think it opens the CD nicely

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battle the Pink Robots pt 1
Presently one of my favourite bands at the moment, and this song is just brilliant, full of dark humour and just ace.

Pulp - Bar Italia
Nuff said. Jarvis Cocker is a legend

Supergrass - Grace
Recent one from Supergrass, They are an excellent band, and certainly underated, thier last album life on other planets is fantastic, and I highly recommend it.

King Creosote - Homeboy
A fairly unknown Scottish singer, whom thanks to a friend I managed to see for free (a guest list of one (me) in a small bar in Newcastle) I got the CD from my friend as well. Very talented, and great live.

Muse - Bliss
I love this song. Hence its inclusion

David Bowie - Sound and Vision
This is just pure class, was going to include Space Oddity instead, but this one seemed to fit the mood of the CD better.

Tim Smith - Savour
Off the Lead singer of the Cardiacs solo album, Fantastic record.

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting
I loved the video to this as a youngin, It had Donald Southerland in it, building a weather machine, Great song also.

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - The Game of Eyes
Got this on a compilation tape from my Girlfriend, and well it fell into my favourites straight away, so I decided to share it with you

R.E.M - Man on the Moon
You cant go wrong with REM.

Cherry, Nenah & Trout - 1,2,3,4,5
An interesting find, whilst looking for songs to shortlist, I came across this song on an compilation album called Help, which was a charity record released to raise funds for the children of war-torn Yugoslavia.

The Doors - Break on Through
I love this song, I once had a recurring dream about it where I was on stage playing bass with the doors in a small school assembely hall filled with screaming kids. We opened with this song, it went down a treat.

Electric 6 - Danger (High Voltage)
I dont know why I like this song, I just do.

Feeder - Seven Days in the Sun
Great Feeder track. What they do, they do well.

Manic Street Preachers - Black Holes for the Young
Manics B-Side which I thought was particularly brilliant

Blur - The Universal
Unfathomably Excellent. One of my favourite bands of all time.

Cardiacs - Blind in Safety and Leafy in Love
I was introduced to the Cardiacs almost by accident late last year (I found a cd my friend had borrowed from another friend called Sing to God Pt 1, and well after that I couldnt get enough of them. An Excellent Prog Rock band, often described as the best kept secret in British Music, due to them not pandering to the usual record company crap. I went to see them live last October and they were fantastic.

Howard Shore (ft Emilla Torrini) - Gollums Song
This is perhaps the best of the best of Howard Shores masterful music score for that trilogy of films, I forget the name, something to do with a Ring or something. I love this song, and Ive often commented that if you put a strong bass line on it, you've got a James Bond opening track aswell.

Combustable Edison - Vertigogo
A good ending song, from the Four Rooms Soundtrack, I read once that it wasnt allowed to be nominated for an original song in the oscars because the judges couldnt make out the words. Feh!

Kitty your review is coming soon.

4-24-04 5:19am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

This isn't my thread but I'm posting in it anyway. I got the new D12 thing (ain't officially released yet but stores apparently don't care about release dates these days), not because I enjoy D12's music, but because the hip-hop that's available here is very limited. Anyway, after listening to it I've decided that Eminem isn't doing a cameo, he's letting D12 do one. The guy has like 90% of the vocals, he has the longest verses, he does the choruses, you basically can't get away from him. I guess it's alright though, because he's a much better MC than the other guys. Also, he's a member of the group, not just doing cameos, I believe.

I will now get out of your thread.

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

4-24-04 5:32am (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

Gov, sorry it's taking so long to get a good review going. I basically listen to CDs while en route somewhere. So I've gotten through the first three tracks so far (yeah, I don't leave often). So far, the CD is kind of depressing, I hope it picks up a bit. I liked the second track. The first track, being lyricless, really didn't suit my tastes, but was a good intro. The third track... kind of odd. More to come!

---
Mediocrity at its most average.

4-24-04 9:24am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

I think you're right... I just couldn't think of another band that had an artist cameo ... I mean, One COULD say that Santana does a lot of cameos... but the thing is, *he* doesn't do the cameo, is the other artist that does, as its usually Santana ft. ______.

---

4-26-04 1:03pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Santana is a glory hog. Maybe Jam Master Jay did cameos on Run DMC? Even though he was technically on every track. Also, a lot of rock bands will have a changing lineup, ie: three guitarists working at different times.

---

4-26-04 11:06pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Canadia
1. great opening song, reminded me of "A Mighty Wind"
4. Nice, this one reminded me a little of "Whose line is it anyway, the ho-down round"
6. Not Bad
8. Loved this one
9. Could very easily be the opening theme to a cartoon aswell as hockey. Some kind of "Teenage Super Justice mega action hero trio" or somic
11. Nice
12. liked this one

Compilation score: 6/10
Governor's Cup-of-Tea rating: 7/10
Presentation: 9/10

Overall: 7/10

There are some fantastic songs on here, and some truely unique stuff, The opening song is wonderful and is an instant favourite (and I dont even like hockey that much aside from the odd game of NHL I played as a kid on me Mega Drive), and the one from Captain Tractor is great, after track 12 though things start to come off the rails a bit. I think Dion slows the tempo of the CD too much, which up until that point had been quite sparky. Still though, I thought other than that it was quite a good compilation, and the artwork was cool, but like Canada you need to lose Celine (give her to the swiss or something) and youd be on to a winner.

Gold Star: Captaion Tractor - Last Saskatchewan Pirate
Weakest Link: Celine Dion

Picnic Basket of Melody

1. Another great opening song. I love it.
2. Liked it
4. No Doubt are great. good choice.
5. Love this song
7. Like it
8. Great
10. Fantastic tune, and fitting the CD nicely, Basket case is great. Greenday rock!
12. Liked this, may have to check them out.
13. Fab Tune, was overplayed for a while, but has finally settled. Great choice.
14. Excellent, I remember the episode had me in fits. Hilarious
15. I wasnt sure whether this change in tone of the CD worked at first, but on second listen I think its the perfect foil, good choice.
16. I wasnt that big a fan of chicago, but watching the trailers I thought Id probably like this song in full more than I do, maybe it was because when I was on holiday last week it got murdered by the Holiday entertainments staff on a nightly basis, or my growing dislike of the bitchy welsh strumpet Catherine Zeta Jones, either way Im not that keen on it.
17. liked this
18. Very good
19. Good ending song

Compilation score: 9/10
Governor's Cup-of-Tea rating: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10

Overall: 9/10

Well what can I say? As the score shows this CD was right up my street, I enjoyed it loads. Like I said last Swap, the best compliment I can pay people is the fact that their CD is likely to be played quite often in the future and this one certainly fits that bill. Some fantastic tunes, and a great compilation, love the artwork, was that off one of those cheesy 70s cartoons or something? Anyway Ive got nothing really bad to say about it, Ive my own reasons for not liking that Chicago musical track, due to the fact my hotel room was like 200 yrds from the Entertainments tent which had an annoying loud PA, anyway because of this, that song has lost any small charm it may have ever had in my book, and you can thank the Airtours Reps for that one, bloody pop-idol rejects the lot of them.
Anyway thank you Kitty you've put together a couple of classic cds which I have enjoyed loads.

Gold Star: Goldfinger - Superman
Weakest Link: Chicago - All That Jazz

4-29-04 7:16am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

I only have a generalised comment for TheGov's cd... It was a different beat than what I normally listen to, but I'm always trying to be diverse, so I'll definitely listen to it again. When I can actually get off my lazy arse to write a full out critique of the cd, I will do so... but yeah. I thumbs up you, Gov.

---

5-02-04 10:32am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Actually kitty I think I went a bit downbeat this swap, certainly the tracks I picked are more mellow, which is odd because my cd for the third swap was quite cheerful. If I ever get some more money, I'll run off a copy of the 3rd one for you, and you can compare.
I think the swap for me is definately a measure of my mood at the time, and had I done it today it would have come out very different (apart from Game of Eyes, I think Id have picked that one either way)

5-02-04 4:29pm (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

Scroe. If you are going to do that, let me email you a new address, as I have moved since the last swap.

---

5-02-04 9:15pm (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

Thanks to kitty for pointing out that the mail service sucks.

Re-burning and re-sending of CDs to come, please email with any address changes. Xuanwu, where the hell are you?

---

5-16-04 3:04pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I'm going to steal TheGov's format and use it against him! With a little umflavor thrown in, of course...
[hr]

Sideswap with TheGovernor:

Time Well Spent

1. AXELROD - Sounds like something they'd play over the PA system at K-Mart if K-Mart was cool as hell!!

2. FLAMING LIPS - I was anxious to hear some Lips as I've read a small bit about their music. This track is from a recent release, and it's much different than what I'd expected. Still, it's one of my favorites here. Also, I think the singer sounds a bit like Ray Davies.

3. PULP - Pleasant trasition piece--perks up a bit late in the song.

4. SUPERGRASS - Excellent. At first, I thought they were singing, "See your monkey-fried chicken." Upon further review, I think it's, "Save your money for the children." I'm getting a definite feel from this mix.
Coke(s)
5. KING CREOSOTE - Okay, I've noticed a few words in common in some of the songs on this CD. I'm putting them between the songs where they appear. I'm sure I'll find more in the future. Anyway, "Homeboy" is repetitive in a good way and strangely effective. I like his voice.

6. MUSE - Makes me totally "Bliss"ful. I really like it, and the intro sounds like a more subdued version of the intro to OUTKAST's "Bombs Over Baghdad."

7. BOWIE - Like you need me to tell you this is a classic. It does fit the overall theme better than "Space Oddity" would have, I feel.

8. TIM SMITH - This guy sounds like David Bowie, and the track echoes the dramatic quality of many of Bowie's songs. Very good.

9. KATE BUSH - Probably the only song of hers I've ever heard. I remember the video, as well. Sounds a bit too 80s for her.

10. GORKY'S - Johnny Carson would call this one, "Weird, wild, and wacky." Then Ed McMahon would say, "Yes!" The music is intriguing.
Game
11. REM - Not-so-oldie-but-quite-goodie. It feels like the mix is going in a different direction now...

12. NENAH TROUT - Very nice. I tend to give Nenah a break because of her father's chops. Can't say the same for old Eagle Eye.

13. DOORS - Another gooderun (check your Southern slang dictionary). I will use this space to say that Mr. Morrison was damn lucky to have such a fine group bakcing up his overblown lyrics. Of course, those same musicians didn't do much without the Lizard King, now did they? Hmmm.
High
14. ELECTRIC G - Can I call this "Fun-adelic?" With a name like Electric G, you'd better be good.

15. FEEDER - You're right, they're pretty good for what they do.
Sun
16. MANIC STREET - I always thought they were a hip hop/rap group. Wrong! The keyboard part is pretty cool.

17. BLUR - I don't like this song. I don't like Blur.

18. CARDIACS - Goofy, yet acceptable.

19. SHORE/TORRINI - Nice, epic quality. I don't usually care for songs like this, but Emila's voice makes it work for me.

20. COMBUSTIBLE EDISON - I expected quirky and jumpy from the title, and that's what I gots. If Muzak was this cool, I'd spend more time in elevators!

Compilation score: 9.5/10
Umfum's Dizzy-ness rating: 9/10
Presentation: 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10

Presentation...receives a perfect score because TheGov sent me the original artwork. The handwritten song list was a nice personal touch.

Dizzy-ness...suffered a bit due to my personal taste. The first five tracks kicked my arse. The next five were darn-tootin'. The next five were good. The last five were okay.

Compilation...receives a higher rating because the tracks flowed extremely well even if some of them weren't to my liking.

Overall...I requested the sideswap because I was intrigued by the songlist posted by TheGov. The mix is rich and diverse with just enough humor thrown in to keep things loose. I truly enjoy the CD and admire the thought and effort put into it. And the title is quite apt! We will swap again.

Gold Star: Axelrod, Flaming Lips, Supergrass, King Creosote, Electric G
Weakest Link: Blur

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

5-27-04 10:48pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Well its been a few weeks, I was just wondering if there has been any progress on the Xuanwu or Chicka CDs?

6-11-04 10:33am (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

Let me get the baby out first, then I'll resend the CD's. I promise.

---

6-18-04 11:36am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Xuanwu seems to have completely dropped off the face of stripcreator. Sorry about that, but it happens. Xuanwu will not be allowed to participate in further swaps until I hear from chick/Gov/kitty that they've received a Xuanwu CD.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

6-18-04 9:06pm (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

I'd like to propose two options to you: 1. I send kitty and Governor each a dollar and call the whole thing off or 2. You wait until probably the end of the now current CD swap to recieve a CD from me. I'm swamped here and I can't even drive anywhere for 3.5 more weeks. (I don't have a CD burner at home) Tell me which seems more fair to you. Also, with either option, I promise never to participate in a future CD swap, since I screwed this one up so badly.

---

7-21-04 7:11am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

Chicka, how about we just call this thing even, and you don't make the cd. You've got enough on your plate as it is, and I'd rather you be relaxed and not thinking about the CD swap. You can just email me the track list and I'll let you know what I think of the songs. Is that fair?

---

7-24-04 1:37pm (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

No, no. I knew what I was in for when I signed up. I just didn't realize the mail service would lose my CD's. Now I'm questioning whether I put a return address on them or not.

Anyhow, I'll get the discs out soon. I can't drive for about 2 1/2 more weeks, but after that, I shouldn't have anything restricting me.

---

7-25-04 8:52am (new)

MikeyG
Shoots the shit and often misses

Member Rated:

Chicka, you were pregnant. I don't think with whatever sentiment people may harbor over not getting their CD comes the desire to see you never participate in a swap again. But I can't speak for the umfummer.

I say get down on your knees and pray to your almighty gods that the 'Disi is a forgiving gentleman. Which he is. And I love him. We made a couple of puppies together the other day. They didn't live very long because they were made out of silly putty and mashed potatoes.

---
The giant three-phallused phallus of Uzbekistan will one day squirt the cosmic jizz of revenge all over Canada.

7-25-04 1:06pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Ive noticed you havent signed up for the fifth swap chicka. If you want to participate in it then please tell umfum, you shouldnt let circumstances and bad postmen get in the way of the fun. I certainly dont mind any delay on the current CD so take your time and dont rush yourself, and please do not feel like you shouldnt sign up for the next one, I assure you both myself and Im sure kitty aswell wouldn't mind if you did.

7-26-04 3:58pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

chicka is cool. we already discussed things. she wants to try and send out your discs before joining another swap. just give her some time.

---

7-26-04 8:25pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Chicka knew she was pregnant well before she signed up for the swap.

---

7-27-04 7:47pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP THREE: Xuanwu Attitude Governor Kitty

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests