Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP FIVE: Um Mm Zip Kaufman (Teh Cassette Crew)

Author

TheBlairZip
Makes a Great Meal

Member Rated:

I had an unsullied listen, and my head almost exploded. You truly are a magnificent bastard. I should have guessed which song you would choose for feetforears, but I didn't and almost ran off the road when it started playing. Well done, kaufman.

---
If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all. D'OH!

4-07-04 10:29am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

It took me a second to get the Feet for Ears reference, but once I did, the laughs came a coming. I tried to explain the joke to my wife. Note to self: some things are not meant to be known.

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

4-07-04 11:56am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Ok, by popular demand, here's what I really inflicted on you folks.
-----------------
Song List and Notes for Music to Strip By: A double-tape collection inspired by the elements of Stripcreator. In Tape 1, each song is connected to an individual character; in Tape 2, each one to a different background. Selecting the music was not trivial -- many SC elements could be tied to several songs I had access to, and many songs could be tied to several characters or backgrounds. Well, I tried to make an interesting collection, with some things you won't find familiar. I have rock, jazz, country and folk represented, as well as six decades (the 50s to the 00s). All running times approximate. Hope you enjoy!

Tape 1: Characters

[list=1][*]Asian Girl -- Beatles: Ballad of John and Yoko. 2:47
Shortly after the title couple met and fell in love, John Lennon wrote this autobiographical ditty. As far as Asian Girls go, Yoko Ono is most often described by the words "sucky-sucky."

[*]Cowboy -- Steve Miller Band: Space Cowboy. 4:45
This song explains the "space cowboy" and "gangster of love" stuff, but still leaves us dreadfully in the dark regarding Maurice and the pompatii.

[*]Feetforears -- Percy Sledge When a Man Loves a Woman. 2:47
Yes, I know. The first of several songs that make no sense without an SC inside joke. But the fact is, thanks to fuck, a bunch of us will never hear again in the same way this piece that inspired his work.

[*]Clown -- Everly Brothers: Cathy's Clown. 2:29
Topped the pop charts back in 1960. I got to see them live last year, and they haven't aged very well.

[*]Little Girl -- The Who: Sally Simpson. 5:13
from the Soundtrack of the movie Tommy
One of the lesser-known Tommy songs for sure; I find it to be a catchy tune, and prefer the movie version to the original.

[*]Dog ... -- The Singing Dogs: Jingle Bells. 1:40
A Christmas classic. It's a wonder no one's yet set up a site online where you can string together dogs barking different notes to create music. As you hear, this technology's been around 45 years.

[*]... on a Ball -- Weird Al Yankovic: The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. 6:31
A tribute to the cheesy side of American Family travel. In a case of the tail wagging the dog, shortly after tourism to the site increased thanks to this song, they moved the Ball to a pagoda in the center of town. And started making souvenirs as described in the song. Also, all of the other attractions mentioned in the song really exist.

[*]Kid -- Blues Brothers: Messing with the Kid. 2:51
From their first album, back when Saturday Night Live was funny.

[*]Jesus -- Grateful Dead: And We Bid You Goodnight. 3:26
Harpur College, Binghamton, NY, May 2, 1970
Closing out the threereasons set with an adaptation of a traditional Ukranian lullaby. In my opinion, the concert this one's from was as a whole incredible, and this is how they brought the crowd back to earth.

[*]Clango -- Beatles: Maxwell's Silver Hammer. 3:39
Abbey Road Outtake version
Clango clango goes the hammer ... If you're familiar with the Abbey Road version of this song, you can probably hear the difference in the arrangement.

[*]Pants -- Guess Who: These Eyes. 3:34
Though I don't think they were singing about nine of them. Probably, along with "American Woman," the best known song from this band.

[*]Stickman -- Trini Lopez: If I Had a Hammer. 2:53
... I'd drive a nail right into my forehead.
--------------------------------------------
[*]Hooker -- Tom Waits: Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis. 1:37
Seattle, WA, October 7, 1978
They don't make song titles like this any more. Ho ho ho!

[*]Diablo --> Cthulhu -- Little Feat: Dixie Chicken --> Tripe Face Boogie. 18:09
with Bonnie Raitt and J.D. Sothern, Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA, May 23, 1975
Admit it -- you didn't think there were songs out there about Cthulhu, but who else could "tripe face" describe?

[*]Bird -- Al Biles Virtual Quintet: Lady Bird. 5:47
Why "virtual"? Because Al Biles (on trumpet), a professor at the University of Rochester, is the only human musician. The rest of the music is generated by computers trained to jam through genetic algorithms.

[*]Captain -- Elvis Costello: Ship of Fools. 5:09
Elvis Costello and Jerry Garcia comprised a two-man mutual admiration society. Here the former does one of the latter's songs.

[*]Geek -- Weird Al Yankovic: It's All About the Pentiums. 3:31
What can you say about a song that rhymes "AOLer" with "Helen Keller"?

[*]Rocker -- Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone. 5:56
Everybody sing along: Warnce ippoawn a tahm noo drissed so fahn. Yoo trew tuh booms a dahm een noor prahm... Needent Noo?

[*]Kaufman -- John DuRant: The Cat Came Back. 3:31
This singer performs in costume at local Ren Fairs and the like, and also can do a full Irish pub repertoire. This is from an album of his "kids' songs".[/list]

Tape 2: Backgrounds
[list=1][*]Diesel -- The Folksmen: Blood on the Coal. 2:59
From the Soundtrack of A Mighty Wind
So many good truck and train songs to choose from, but this one is so comical and obscure, I had to go with it, even if it meant taking some liberties (the train runs on coal, not diesel).

[*]Wall -- Pink Floyd: Hey You. 4:40
This song is perhaps overshadowed by some of the other songs from The Wall. Be thankful I couldn't find the wife's Luther Wright version of this song -- then you'd have gotten it in C&W glory.

[*]Apocalypse -- Grateful Dead: Morning Dew. 10:21
Ventura (CA) Fairgrounds, July 22, 1984
Remake of a folk song portraying a parent-child conversation from a shelter after a nuclear holocaust.

[*]Graveyard -- Crosby Stills and Nash: Cathedral. 5:03
I find this one haunting and pretty. This was from their 1977 or so "reunion" album, after they'd spent some time on solo projects.

[*]Prison 1 -- Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues. 2:35
"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die."

[*]Spaceship -- William Shatner: Rocket Man. 4:10
Recorded live, 1978
"On second thought, Captain, I think I prefer the agony booth."

[*]Moonscape -- The Marcels: Blue Moon 2:10
Bom-bom-bom-bom, Bom-bom-bom-bom, Bom-bom-bom-bom, Danga-a-dang-dang, Dinga-dong-ding ... Maybe I should have filed this under "bombs". This standard must have been recorded hundreds of times, but this one stands out.

[*]Hell -- Flash and the Pan: Hey St. Peter. 4:18
Probably the biggest hit of this early 80s group who lived up to their name.

[*]Field -- Bruce Hornsby: Fields of Gray. 5:50
The Paramount, Springfield, MA, November 24, 1993
A typical show-closer on the '93 tour, as Bruce was moving to a jazzier sound.

[*]Police -- The Clash: Police on My Back. 3:15
"I've been punning Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ..."
--------------------------------------------

[*]Bombs -- Country Joe and the Fish: The Fish Cheer / I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die-Rag. 3:33
At Woodstock, they didn't spell "fish" at the beginning.

[*]Clouds -- Traffic: Rainmaker. 7:04
I have no clever comment to make here, so I'll just do my impression of a mime trapped in a glass box ...

[*]Planet -- Frank Zappa: Cozmic Debris. 4:28
Blossom Music Theater, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, August 12, 1984
By the way, this is one of Mr. Zappa's more mainstream songs.

[*]Rocks -- Grateful Dead: Throwing Stones. 9:24
Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, July 8, 1990
That rarest of birds: An 80s protest song.

[*]Motion Blur -- Jefferson Airplane: 3/5 of a Mile in Ten Seconds. 3:38
For those of you too lazy to do the math, that comes out to 216 mph, 96.56 meters per second, and 580,608 furlongs per fortnight.

[*]Bedroom -- Linda Ronstadt: We Will Rock You. 1:27
Ms. Ronstadt did a whole album of similar adaptations for her baby. Things like "Be My Baby" and "Dedicated to the One I Love." And this one. You probably never thought this Queen anthem would be remade as a lullaby.

[*]Prison 2 -- Big Brother and the Holding Company: Ball and Chain. 8:48
Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA, July 12, 1967
Janis had a couple great lungs. I love the way she screams her heart out in this version.

[*]Green -- Booker T. and the MGs: Green Onions. 5:05
From the Concert for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH, 1995
Lively rendition of an instrumental standard to close out the song list. But wait, there's more ...

[*]"Hidden" Outro -- Joe Loss & His Orchestra: The Stripper. 2:11
From the Soundtrack of The Full Monty[/list]

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

4-07-04 6:53pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Holy Shinola!

Thanks for the track listing. The theme and concept are cooler than anything that has ever been cool before.

I haven't had time to dive into the cassettes yet because I've been taking care of a sick baby and a recovering-from-surgery wife. However, they will be played!

Excellent work, KK.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

4-08-04 9:38pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Okay, maybe you guys are shy, or maybe you're busy as hell like myself. Either way, I'll break the ice here by commenting on:

> Asian Girl--Beatles: Ballad of John and Yoko.
This song was another one of my Mom's 45s that I used to listen to quite a lot. Great beginning.

> Cowboy--Steve Miller Band: Space Cowboy.
I always forget about this song and just how catchy it is.

> Feetforears--Percy Sledge When a Man Loves a Woman.
Thought you might have chosen TEARS FOR FEARS, but Percy is much more appropos. Classic listen.

> Clown--Everly Brothers: Cathy's Clown.
"I got to see them live last year, and they haven't aged very well." That's why many now refer to them as the ELDERLY BROTHERS. This song has extra meaning for me because Cathy was the name of the ex-wife of a guy I used to work with. His brother worked with us, and he'd always give him hell when this song came on the radio (unfortunately, it was the country version by REBA McENTIRE, I believe.)

> Little Girl--The Who: Sally Simpson.
Top Five Worst Simpsons:
5. Jessica
4. "Lisa" (when little Lisa was replaced by a teenage Lisa during "The Simpsons' Smile Time Variety Hour")
3. Patty
2. OJ
1. Selma

> Dog ...--The Singing Dogs: Jingle Bells.
Arf, Arf, Arf!

> ...on a Ball--Weird Al Yankovic: The Biggest Ball of
> Twine in Minnesota.
Sorry, Weird Al, this one's a little too cheddar for me.

> Kid--Blues Brothers: Messing with the Kid.
"From their first album, back when Saturday Night Live was funny." This one makes me sorry that John passed away, but glad that he wasn't around to witness and/or participate in the abomination that was "Blues Brothers 2000."

> Jesus--Grateful Dead: And We Bid You Goodnight.
> Harpur College, Binghamton, NY, May 2, 1970
Seemed out of place and didn't do much for me.

> Clango--Beatles: Maxwell's Silver Hammer.
> Abbey Road Outtake version
Exactly the sound I'd expect to hear when Clango shuts his jaws! A capital Beatles song.

> Pants--Guess Who: These Eyes.
"Probably, along with 'American Woman,' the best known song from this band." Don't forget "No Time." Another good one. Weren't these guys from Canada?

> Stickman--Trini Lopez: If I Had a Hammer.
If I'd Had A Choice, I'd have chosen INDIGO GIRLS' "Hammer And A Nail."

[u]Side B:[/u]

> Hooker--Tom Waits: Christmas Card from a Hooker in
> Minneapolis. Seattle, WA, October 7, 1978
I give you a "Telephone Call" from Mr. Waits, and you send me a "Christmas Card" from him. Ha.

> Diablo-->Cthulhu--Little Feat: Dixie Chicken-->
> Tripe Face Boogie. 18:09 with Bonnie Raitt
> and J.D. Sothern, Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA, May 23, > 1975
I had time to reread all of my comics while this track was playing--thanks KK! Seriously, though, this is some damn fine boogie.

> Bird--Al Biles Virtual Quintet: Lady Bird.
"The rest of the music is generated by computers trained to jam through 'genetic algorithms.'"
Are you sure those weren't 'generic' algorithms?
Actually, this piece was quite sophisticated and swung well considering it was produced by computers. Excellent.

> Captain--Elvis Costello: Ship of Fools.
I've had this one on cassette since "Deadicated" came out. Great choice.

> Geek--Weird Al Yankovic: It's All About the Pentiums.
Okay, Al has redeemed himself in my eyes. I don't know why I've never heard this song, but it's awesome. "Double clickin' on my mizzouse" is priceless, but wouldn't a true Techie have his OS set to respond to single clicks?

> Rocker--Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone.
Everybody probably groans and says, "Oh, Like A Rolling Stone," but there are some excellently turned phrases in this song.

> Kaufman--John DuRant: The Cat Came Back.
I have to say, "Thanks," again because I've sung this song many times without knowing the full lyrics. Thus, I become stuck in an endless loop of cats leaving and coming back. Ironic ending to a cheeky collection.

[hr]

Overall, this set of songs sounds like something I would have put together (with a couple of exceptions) if I'd had all of these originals to put on a tape. Great job, and I'm ready to listen to Tape 2: Backgrounds

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

4-17-04 9:46pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

quote:
> Bird--Al Biles Virtual Quintet: Lady Bird.
"The rest of the music is generated by computers trained to jam through 'genetic algorithms.'"
Are you sure those weren't 'generic' algorithms?
Actually, this piece was quite sophisticated and swung well considering it was produced by computers. Excellent.
No, I meant genetic. I'd have posted a link if I could find a decent online tutorial, but since you asked, I'll give you the off-topic skinny.

Basically, genetic algorithms (GAs for short) are a method to search through vast search spaces and to converge toward an optimum (hopefully) using the mechanics of Darwinian evolution we observe in nature. Elements of the search space are encoded so that the search space can be represented by "chromosomes" (typically binary strings). An initial population, say of 25 chromosomes, is generated. Then you iterate the following three steps:

[list=1][*]Evaluation: Decode each chromosome in the population, and see how well it performs on the task you're trying to optimize. The result for each individual is called a fitness value.

[*]Selection (of the new population): Repeat until you have a brand new population of the requisite size: Probabilistically select a member of the old population to be the "parent" of the individual you are seeking, with probability proportional to the individual's fitness. Clone the parent into the new population.

[*]Modification: Randomly select "mutation" and/or "crossover" operations to apply to the new population. Mutation basically flips a bit, and crossover exchanges genetic material between the two selected individuals.[/list]Basically, in this album, the program experimented with accompaniments, with the characteristics of "good" jams as evaluated more likely to be passed on to subsequent generations.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

4-18-04 9:14pm (new)

TheBlairZip
Makes a Great Meal

Member Rated:

Hey, guys. Sorry for the delay. The packages were put in the mail today, so hopefully they will arrive sometime next week. I regretfully did not include an actual cassette recording...it's CD only. My tape recorder will only record in super fast speed for some reason. As funny as that would have been, I decided not to delay getting the CDs out any longer than I already have. (Explanations are included in the packages.) Anyways, I hope you enjoy them. I'll be back with my analysis of the other selections soon.

---

4-23-04 12:57pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

I got my copy Saturday. I guess that's the benefit of being in the same city. I was cruising down 75/85 on Sunday on my way to rehearsal and digging the tunes immensely. I'll comment more when you post your stuff. I really love it, though, I'll say that.

---

4-26-04 7:52am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

My BlairZip disc arrived today in excellent shape. Looks promising. Thank you for including "United States of Whatever." Now I won't have to bug/beg evil_d to send me a copy. Further analysis pending...

---

4-26-04 8:43pm (new)

TheBlairZip
Makes a Great Meal

Member Rated:

OK, big post here. First, here's my take on Umfum's CD:

1. Crystal Frontiers - Nice opening. I dig it. Good song to cruise to. The singer needs a bit more emotion in his voice, though...it doesn't match the intensity of the song.

2. Camino y Vereda - Groovy tune. Lots of syncopation. I don't find his voice annoying.

3. Filming the Desert - Good transition.

4. Telephone call from Istanbul - I don't listen to Tom Waits very much, but every now and then it fits the bill. This was one of those times. Nice choice.

5. Ten Second News - It's a good song, but it's not my speed. Sounds more like a Neil Young song.

6. The Wizard - Don't care for Black Sabbath much, but this is one of their better tunes. I dig it. I mean, how many other rock songs are their about silent meandering wizards?

7. Little Wing - And speaking of Neil Young...here he is! I like this one. Nice and sweet.

8. Show Your Face - I agree with your analysis - don't care much for his voice, but the intrumentals are very cool.

9. Wood and Glue - This is a nifty little song. Another good song to cruise to.

10. Not Over You - Can't really get into it. Loved the little bit with "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" in the middle.

11. Creepin' - Not my favorite period for Stevie. I don't really like his slow jams, for some reason.

12. Once Around the Block - Nice little jam. Another cruising song.

13. Theme to Parked Cars - Don't care for electronica much, but that's just me. It was a nice break, though.

14. Speakers Push the Air - This song is much better when the girl is singing. The guy's voice is annoying. Rocker chicks rule!

15. Mistakes and Regrets - Winner of Longest Band Title. The music itself, which I really like, reminds me of Foo Fighters a little. I do not like when the singer actual speak or screams the lyrics.

16. Redneck Wonderland - [i][/i]

17. Kan-non Power - At first, I thought the track was blank. Once the music kicked in, however, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Great music.

18. Honey on a Biscuit - Obviously not the result of the Biscuit Game. ;) But seriously, this is some cool rockin' jazz.

19. Time's Running Out - I wouldn't be able to drive with the opening music playing - it's too intense! Once the funk kicks in, though, it's pretty sweet.

20. End Theme - Why did he have to leave at the end of every episode??? It's too sad, I tell you!!!

--------------------------------------

And now, here is my take on Kaufman's project:

1. Ballad of John and Yoko - Yoko is "sucky-sucky" indeed, but I've always liked this song.

2. Space Cowboy - It's a classic.

3. When a Man Loves a Woman - Seriously, I almost ran off the road when the song started playing. Best use of an SC inside joke EVVAR!

4. Cathy's Clown - Excellent choice. Of all the clown songs out there, I would have chosen this one as well.

5. Sally Simpson - It took me a minute to realize that this was the movie version and not the original. This is my favorite song from Tommy.

6. Jingle Bells - ...the less said, the better.

7. The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota - Honestly, this is one of my favorite Weird Al songs. I don't know why I like it so much, but every time I hear it I have to sing along with it.

8. Messing with the Kid - I hadn't heard this song before. Well done. Gotta love the Blues Brothers.

9. And We Bid You Goodnight - Not a big Grateful Dead fan, but I kinda dig this one. Nice.

10. Maxwell's Silver Hammer. - Hadn't heard this version. Ranks in my top 20 of favorite Beatles songs.

11. These Eyes - Another one that make me almost run off the road. It took a second to make the connection. My absolute favorite Guess Who song.

12. If I Had a Hammer - ...I'd drive a nail right into my forehead, as well. Why Trini? WHY???

13. Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis - It was from this point on that I was not familiar with the majority of songs. I don't listen to Tom Waits very much, but every now and then it fits the bill. This was one of those times.

14. Dixie Chicken --> Tripe Face Boogie - WOO! Great song and a hell of a jam session. The Fox Theatre is a great place for concerts, and this one was a whole year before I was born!

15. Lady Bird - Extremely interesting. Thoroughly enjoyable.

16. Ship of Fools - I like Costello. Don't like Garcia. This is a very interesting mix. Still undecided.

17. It's All About the Pentiums - The video makes the song 10 times better. That and my hatred of P Diddy.

18. Like a Rolling Stone - Ah, I was confused. I thought he was saying "boons a tahm". "booms a dahm" makes me feel much better about the song now. ;)

19. The Cat Came Back - I don't know how I made it through my entire childhood without ever having heard this song. Now that I have, I wish I could have gone my entire adulthood without ever having heard it.

Tape 2: Backgrounds

1. Blood on the Coal - I loved A Mighty Wind. Not my favorite song from The Folksmen, but it's the only one that fits. Nice choice.

2. Hey You - I have Luther Wright's version of 'Another Brick in the Wall', but not this song. That would have ruled. The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album.

3. Morning Dew - Again, I'm not a fan, but it works. It would have been overkill on Weird Al, but I would have used 'Christmas at Ground Zero.'

4. Cathedral - Very nice selection. I didn't even know it was CSN until it was posted here. Quite a surprise.

5. Folsom Prison Blues - Classic. I miss him.

6. Rocket Man - Kaufman, you magnificent bastard. Fortunately, I was not driving when this one came on, or I would have run off the road and probably taken several people with me. I love Shatner, but even as a joke this is excrutiating to listen to. He isn't the man I thought he was at all. Oh no no no.

7. Blue Moon - I still consider the use of this song at the end of An American Werewolf in London to be one of the greatest movie moments of all time. Awesome choice.

8. Hey St. Peter - Not my cup of tea, but not bad.

9. Fields of Gray - Didn't know it was Bruce Hornsby. Nice selection. I really dig it.

10. Police on My Back - The Clash. Hmmm. Well. Yes.

11. The Fish Cheer / I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die-Rag - I really have no feelings about this song one way or the other.

12. Rainmaker - See above.

13. Cozmic Debris - See above.

14. Throwing Stones - Sorry, I just can't do it. I don't like them. I had to fastforward through this one.

15. 3/5 of a Mile in Ten Seconds - Didn't these guys just get named as having the worst song ever? Or was that Jefferson Starship? Or just Starship? I'm confused. Good song, though.

16. We Will Rock You - This one really took me be surprise. At first, I thougth it was a joke. Strangely enough, it works.

17. Ball and Chain - Oh my. Now that's how to belt it out. When I scream, I have a headache for a couple of hours. I'm surprised her head never exploded during a show.

18. Green Onions - One of my favorite instrumentals of all time. Glad to have a live recording of it.

19. The Stripper - My favorite instrumental of all time. Perfect addition.

---

4-27-04 9:24am (new)

MikeyG
Shoots the shit and often misses

Member Rated:

I'd just like to say that as soon as I can wrangle a CD burner, I'd like to sign up to subject you/be subjected to SC User music.

---
The giant three-phallused phallus of Uzbekistan will one day squirt the cosmic jizz of revenge all over Canada.

4-27-04 10:29am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I'm thinking the next swap will be in July. You can sign up then.

[hr]

It's...more reviews!

[b]kaufman's
Tape 2: Backgrounds[/b]

1. Blood on the Coal - I haven't had time to see the movie, but I did catch Best In Show on Comedy Central the other day. I love Fred Willard doing Joe Garagiola. You know what would be cool? A Christopher Guest DVD set including Spinal Tap, Waiting For Guffman, Best In Show, and A Mighty Wind!

2. Hey You - My choice for overlooked Wall song is "Goodbye Blue Sky."

3. Morning Dew - I really tried, KK, but I just couldn't get into this. It didn't help that the vocals were hard to understand.

4. Cathedral - Beautiful. I almost included "Guinnevere" from CSNY on my disc.

5. Folsom Prison Blues - Cold, hard CASH always accepted here :)

6. Rocket Man - I have a copy of this "song." His "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" cover is quite awful, too. Priceless.

7. Blue Moon - One small step for man; a giant leap for doo wop.

8. Hey St. Peter - I barely remember hearing this in the 80s. Probably best forgotten.

9. Fields of Gray - I enjoy the jazzy side of Bruce Hornsby.

10. Police on My Back - The Clash are often hit or miss with me. I prefer their pop-oriented songs to the punk ones, but that could be said of my taste in general.

11. The Fish Cheer / I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die-Rag - I-feel-like-I've-been-trasported-back-in-time. I've always liked this one.

12. Rainmaker - Sounds like early Traffic before they fell into the prog bog.

13. Cozmic Debris - Zappa was savvy enough that he could have sold bajillions of records, but he chose to remain an artist instead of a rock star. Thank you, Francesco.

14. Throwing Stones - I enjoyed this track more than "Morning Dew," but The Dead just aren't my bag.

15. 3/5 of a Mile in Ten Seconds - Title promised more than the track could deliver.

16. We Will Rock You - Thought she might have left out the "mud on your face, big disgrace" part, but she didn't. Too bad Shatner wasn't available. This is still pretty cool.

17. Ball and Chain - Ah, sweet Janis. I used to crack up my college suitemates with my impression of Janis singing, "Didn't I make ya feel...like you...were the only man..." and so on!

18. Green Onions - Normally, I despise onions, but Booker T and the MGs served this one up right, y'all.

19. The Stripper - Joe Loss is my gain.

---------------------------------------

My familiarity with most of the material on this cassette made it less enjoyable than "Characters" to a certain degree, but the song choices were quite apt for the respective backgrounds. Of course, it's all pretty good music to strip by...

---

5-05-04 10:06pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

[b]TheBlairZip's
Happiness And Harmony[/b]

1. Shpadoinkle! - Good, goofy opening. I'm still waiting for the cannibals...

2. Kick Your Ass - "Gonna put my foot sideways. Gonna kick your ass for days." AbFab.

3. Tank! - Sounds like a modernist take on classic 60s TV themes. Energetic and exciting.

4. Since You've Been Gone - If mmyers sends out a Weird Al song, then I know something's up. Silly song, but likable.

5. Call Me Calmly - Aside from "One Week," I don't know any LADIES songs, but this one is endearing and not boring.

6. Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Great cover.

7. Hungarian Dance #5 - My six-month-old son really perked up when this one came on. He likes to hear people whistling. He also like to watch the wind.

8. Carrie - It's great to support your friends, but this track didn't appeal to me.

9. Hyaku Go Ju Ichi - When my wife asks why I'm singing in Japanese, I'll tell her it's the "Curse of the Blair Zip."

10. Wig In A Box - I've read good things about the film. The song is pretty good for Broadway-style rock.

11. Fraggle Rock - I never got into the show, but I've always enjoyed the theme music.

12. Space Channel 5 - An arcade game that makes you burn calories? Back in my day, the only game like that was Konami's "Track And Field." My forearms are cramping just thinking about it.

13. United States Of Whatever - Two words--awe some.

14. Belleville Rendez-vous - Damn catchy.

15. Brazil - Terry Gilliam is a mad genius. Brazil is near the top of my list of "movies to watch." I've seen parts of it, and I taped it one night, but the channel came through all fuzzy for some reason, and I could barely see anything.

16. Carmen Sandiego - Watching "WITWICS" was one of my guilty pleasures back when. Plus, I like to sing the bass parts of this song.

17. Mnemonics - Hilarious! And now I'll always remember Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species!

18. Herod's Song - Alice Cooper and Jesus? I just might have to make a comic...

19. Eastbound And Down - One of my favorite songs ever. If I haven't put this on a swap CD yet, then I surely meant to do so.

20. Everybody's A Little Bit Rascist - I think I saw a little of Avenue Q on TV somewhere. I thought it was Gay Sesame Street or something. Truth + Twist = Humor.

21. Pure Imagination - Another great song from a brilliant movie. The books of Roald Dahl are uniformly excellent, too.

22. Happy - Silly in a good way. I would have gone with Ren & Stimpy's "Happy Happy Joy Joy."

23. Super Mario Medley - You told everything about the song in the liner notes except that it was a FULL ORCHESTRAL VERSION! I'm cracking up, and scenes from Super Mario are running through my head at the same time.

24. Love Handles - San Francisco Biannual? :D Now tell me, what is the movie about?

25. Happiness Hotel - Mmmmm...Muppets.

26. Suddenly Seymour - Once again I will state that The Blues Brothers is the greatest movie musical comedy of all time. Of course, LSOH with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin ranks right up there. Perfect ending.
------------------------------------------------------
Happiness and Harmony feels like a big bear hug from a cousin you've never met in person--with fun music playing in the background. Thanks!

---

5-17-04 11:13am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Oh man, I'm nearly complete after two months of saying that I'm nearly complete. BlairZip and Kaufman, your's went out today. Never fear about the excessive amount of tape. I try to recycle envelopes so tape is a very important ingredient.

Umfum, your's should probably be going out tomorrow as I'm finishing the other mix tape I mentioned. The wife needs to get finished painting it tonight, and if she doesn't, I'll finish it myself. Tomorrow is a good deadline.

I've been hesitant to give feedback on anyone else's CD since mine wasn't finished but now I'll get right on that. In fact, I'll probably do BlairZip's right now.

---

5-19-04 10:56am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Life got in the way. I owe umfum a second listen and a grinning review. I owe Zip a first listen (!) and the appropriate review. Will try to take care of it when I'm back from Florida next week.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

5-19-04 6:41pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Don't forget your sunblock, young man.

---

5-19-04 10:12pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Hey, I'll be in Florida next week too.
Dad??

---

5-20-04 8:08am (new)

TheBlairZip
Makes a Great Meal

Member Rated:

Mmyers, got yours today. Just finished reading the story, and now I'm gonna give the CD a good listening. Kudos to you, my friend. I can't tell you how much I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

---

5-20-04 8:24pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Cool! Man, I was really happy with the idea for the story/mix right up until I started to send them out, then I got nervous. Glad you liked it.=)

---

5-21-04 6:28am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Don't forget your sunblock, young man.

I didn't! Even on the 150-mile ride in the convertible up to the Cape, old Sol only nicked me. By the way, the Saturn V officially joins the Gateway Arch on my List of Coolest Man-made Things. Umfumdisi's recording, while not quite on that level... Aw heck, here's my belated two cents.

1) Crystal Frontiers -- A great start that grabs you. Effects midsong sound like a big cicada accompaniment.

2) Camino y Vereda -- A tiny bit dissonant for my tastes.

3) Filming the Desert -- Nice and fitting.

4) Telephone Call from Istanbul -- It's Tom. Nuff said.

5) Ten Second News -- Reincarnation of Neil Young?

6) The Wizard -- Raw rock.

7) Little Wing -- Didn't grab me.

8) Show Your Face -- Nice tune, could have been stretched out a bit.

9) Wood and Glue -- Smooth and sweet

10) Not Over You -- Pieces fit together very well.

11) Creepin' -- Melts in your ears.

12) Once Around the Block -- Not sure what I think of this song. Purees elements I like and ones I don't care for quire well.

13) Theme to Parked Cars -- Fits perfectly.

14) Speakers Push the Air -- Effective.

15) Mistakes and Regrets -- Solid accompaniment; good soundtrack music.

16) Redneck Wonderland -- Sizzles. Reminiscent of a number of other songs.

17) Kan-non Power -- We're definitely in high gear now. I hear a touch of Pink Floyd in this.

18) Honey on a Biscuit -- Bring on da funk!

19) Time's Running Out -- Might as well face it -- I'm a "fire" person at heart. Turn up the heat!

20) UET -- I'm not familiar with this particular piece, but it sounds like a lot of things A little "Summer of 42," a little "Superheroes" from "Rocky Horror." But it's neither.

--------------------------

BONUS MAGNETIC TRACKS

20.5) MFTCC -- What in the world were you watching????

21) Cat Food -- My cats thank you for the offering.

22) What do you Say to a Naked Lady -- Nice, silly change of pace.

23) Another good instrumental.

24) My uncle used to make OGMs on his answering machine in which the background music would be some cool jazz, then his voice would come on, first saying a long, mellow "Heeeeeeeyyyyyyy," and then requesting the caller leave a message. So, Heeeeeeeeyyyyy.

25) And then a rousing awakening. Outstanding.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

5-23-04 1:23pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:

BONUS MAGNETIC TRACKS

20.5) MFTCC -- What in the world were you watching????

21) Cat Food -- My cats thank you for the offering.

22) What do you Say to a Naked Lady -- Nice, silly change of pace.

23) Another good instrumental.

24) My uncle used to make OGMs on his answering machine in which the background music would be some cool jazz, then his voice would come on, first saying a long, mellow "Heeeeeeeyyyyyyy," and then requesting the caller leave a message. So, Heeeeeeeeyyyyy.

25) And then a rousing awakening. Outstanding.

20.5) I think your bonus material started with an excerpt from the film "Mars Needs Women" wherein one of the Martians must decide if he's going to stay on Earth and send the hot scientist chick he fell in love with back to Mars for "insemination" purposes, or if he's going to set her free and return to Mars with his chorts--bereft of any women at all. A couple of decades after the movie was released, the song "Pump Up The Volume" was released by M.A.R.R.S. featuring the soon-to-be-famous quote, "Mars Needs Women!" The rest of the piece is me flipping through cable channels.

24) Your uncle sounds like a cool guy.

25) If I recall correctly, the ending music was either Reggae or Mexicana recorded from the digital music channels.

---

5-23-04 9:45pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

quote:
25) If I recall correctly, the ending music was either Reggae or Mexicana recorded from the digital music channels.

I wasn't counting that, since it was just a few seconds. I was referring to the Klark Kent.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

5-24-04 10:54am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I'm going to send mmyers' cd out as mine for the next swap.

Seriously--that was great, and strangely, sounded precisely like what I thought it would. I was actually going to put the same Madlib song on my CD, but couldn't find a place for it and decided to save it for the next one...Oh well, I guess Madlib goes in the same other-strippers-have-sent-this pile with Boards of Canada.

5-24-04 10:49pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Oh yeah, "Theme For Kinetic Ritual" is aces. I've lost the piece of paper that listed the bonus tracks for each cassette, so I wasn't sure which tracks to which you were referring.

---

5-25-04 8:01am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Sideswap with Umfumdisi

Earth Wind and Fire

1. Love this song, kicks off the CD brilliantly, very groovy, nice mexican flavour to it I think.
2. This was cool
3. Nice and mellow, good foil to track 2, reminded me a bit of a band called all seeing I
4. I love this, theres something about the rustyness of his vocal skills that make this a favourite, lyrics are great.
5. Bit slow, but not bad
6. Quite cool, loving the guitar, hard not to like Black Sabbath.

7. My initial thoughts were a bit "Meh" for this, but it follows 6 quite well, and does make a nice opener for the wind section, just a bit too slow and rather underdone for my usual tastes.
8. Not my usual cup of tea, bit too MOR, but generally a pleasant listen
9. Really liked this, although not my usual cup of tea either, but I enjoyed it alot, will probably seek out some more of her work.
10. Loved this,
11. Nice Wonder.
12. Loved this track, Badly Drawn Boy are great. A favourite on this compilation
13. Was alright technopop, but didnt care for it too much.
14. I enjoyed this track a good end to the Wind section

15. Cool
16. liked this, bit odd first time I played it, but after a few listens it grows on you
17. Great tune
18. Was alright, enjoyed it.
19. I enjoyed this.
20. I recognised this, but it took me ages to place it.....Was just at the right age to appreciate the Hulk, bit slow for the fire section tho

Bonus 21. {unknown} Quite an interesting track, very spacey

Compilation score: 9/10
Governor's Cup-of-Tea rating: 9/10
Presentation: 9.5/10

Overall: 9/10

Well as a side swap with the master of ceremonies umfum, I was looking forward to this as soon as he pm'd me to offer the swap, and I wasn’t disappointed, this was a great compilation, quite rocky in places, but quite mellow in others, and with a hint of jazz thrown in for good measure, and the tracks follow each other beautifully. I have to say Telephone call from Istanbul by Tom Waits was brilliant and an instant favourite, and I really enjoyed the Annie Hayden track. In fact it was hard to choose a track I disliked, but the honour eventually fell to Neil Young, simply because it was too slow for my tastes, although as an opening to the Wind section I thought it worked really well. As my personal "Cup-of-Tea" rating shows however, I really enjoyed this compilation and it has pride of place in my Car at the moment.
The design is sublime hence the high presentation score, the map of the world in the background of the clear cd case is great, my only slight criticism of the design it the justification on the track listing, and even that lends it a certain flair, other than that its a beautiful package that has obviously had a lot of thought gone into it.
Overall I enjoyed this CD a lot, and if I enter the next swap I'll be honoured to swap with you again if we aren't in the same group.

Gold Star: Badly Drawn Boy - Once around the Block / Tim Waits Telephone call from Istanbul
Weakest Link: Neil Young - Little Wing

Favourite Element: I think its definately wind, although fire had its moments.

5-26-04 8:48am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP FIVE: Um Mm Zip Kaufman (Teh Cassette Crew)

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests