Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP FIVE: Um Mm Zip Kaufman (Teh Cassette Crew)

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:
20. I recognised this, but it took me ages to place it.....Was just at the right age to appreciate the Hulk, bit slow for the fire section tho

Bonus 21. {unknown} Quite an interesting track, very spacey

Favourite Element: I think its definately wind, although fire had its moments.

20. The "Closing Theme" from The Incredible Hulk wasn't really part of the FIRE section. I just thought it was a nice track to end with, and now it always reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Stewie walks away wearing a backpack and they play a bit of that music.
[hr]
STOP THE PRESSES! Someone just told me that Family Guy is coming back to television!
[hr]
I'd also like to point out that the Family Guy theme music was written by Walter Murphy. Yes, the same Walter Murphy who put together "A Fifth Of Beethoven."*
*Note: The above piece of information is about five years old.

21. The bonus track is "Track 2" by Stilluppsteypa. Here's a link if interested: Stilluppsteypa

I think it's interesting that WIND was your favorite element when there were two songs from it that you didn't much care for.
[hr]
I'm working on a review of "Time Well Spent." Thanks for sideswapping.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

5-26-04 10:21am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

quote:
I'm going to send mmyers' cd out as mine for the next swap.

Seriously--that was great, and strangely, sounded precisely like what I thought it would. I was actually going to put the same Madlib song on my CD, but couldn't find a place for it and decided to save it for the next one...Oh well, I guess Madlib goes in the same other-strippers-have-sent-this pile with Boards of Canada.

Great minds think alike, eh? I think we'll have to add you and umfum into jes_l's and my "Twin sons of different mothers" clique. Quadruplet sons from different mothers?

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

5-26-04 11:22am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Some attitudechicks should start a punk band named Broads Of Canada.

How about the Quad Squad?

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

5-26-04 2:59pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

[b]TheBlairZip's
Happiness And Harmony[/b]

1. Shpadoinkle! - I'm not a big fan of this musical but I think this song is pretty funny and a good opener.

2. Kick Your Ass - I have actually considered doing this as an audition piece for when I audition for the Debbie Does Dallas musical. We'll see if I have the guts. great song.

3. Tank! - I love this song. it makes me want to exercise.

4. Since You've Been Gone - I didn't send out a Weird Al song but I do feel like I'm not part of some cool cult. Not a big Al fan, but this song rules it.

5. Call Me Calmly - I liked the first album and dismissed this album after one listen. This makes me think I should go back and check it out again.

6. Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Makes me want to run in place.

7. Hungarian Dance #5 - I'm doing this from memory and can't place this song. Take that however.

8. Carrie - Not my cup of tea.

9. Hyaku Go Ju Ichi - If there is a hell and I am forced to go to this hell, and in this hell, before you burn, you ride in a little cart having to watch videos of all your misdeeds and this music plays in the background, I think all my misdeeds will have been worth it. I love this song. It's sooooo happy.

10. Wig In A Box - I'm just not a big fan of musicals. I've seen the movie and been told I should see it live instead.

11. Fraggle Rock - Love it! Love Muppets! Did you knwo that a lot of their names were taken from lighting instruments? Traveling Mat, Gobo, I forget the others.

12. Space Channel 5 - This song makes me want to fight ninjas.

13. United States Of Whatever - Loved it.

14. Belleville Rendez-vous - Haven't seen this movie, yet, but I want to. This song hops.

15. Brazil - Just saw this for the first time the other day. How did I miss this?? Awesome movie and fun song.

16. Carmen Sandiego - Did you know that Billy Joel's The Longest Time was done without instruments too?

17. Mnemonics - Literaly, I laughed outloud.

18. Herod's Song - Alice Cooper nevers fails to impress me.

19. Eastbound And Down - Way better from the song from Smokey and the Bandit two

20. Everybody's A Little Bit Rascist - Two drunk friends sang this to me at a bar a few motnhs ago. I like your version better.

21. Pure Imagination - My wife LOVES this movie, so this is one of her favorite parts of your mix, BlairZip.

22. Happy - Never heard this before, but I really liked it.

23. Super Mario Medley - I envision Mario and Princess Toadstool waltzing to this.

24. Love Handles - Jimmy Hart Plastic!

25. Happiness Hotel - I called the misses up and played this over the phone and she cackled with glee.

26. Suddenly Seymour - I think you missed your calling, Zip. You should do musical theatre! I enjoyed this one and it was a solid closer.

This mix definitely lived up to the title. Great fun.

---

6-04-04 8:33am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Music to Strip by
Tape 1: Characters

[list=1][*]Asian Girl -- Beatles: Ballad of John and Yoko. 2:47
One of my favorite Beatles songs (actually from one of my favorite Beatles albums). This was one of the first bass lines I learned to play.

[*]Cowboy -- Steve Miller Band: Space Cowboy. 4:45
I had no idea this was a Steve Miller song, then Abracadabra, Kaufman shows me the way.

[*]Feetforears -- Percy Sledge When a Man Loves a Woman. 2:47
It took me a moment to get it, but when I did, then came the tears.

[*]Clown -- Everly Brothers: Cathy's Clown. 2:29
A song that I enjoy that I would probably never have the access to listen to unless it comes on the radio. I love the chorus to this song. A complete change, like it's two different songs.

[*]Little Girl -- The Who: Sally Simpson. 5:13
I'll say this quietly so as not to offend anyone. I'm not a fan of the Who and I've never seen Tommy.

[*]Dog ... -- The Singing Dogs: Jingle Bells. 1:40
I laughed outloud at work listening to this the first go around. The Christmas dogs barking and my maniacal laughter made everyone agree that I'm indeed 'off'. i love the solo.

[*]... on a Ball -- Weird Al Yankovic: The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. 6:31
I envision this being the Kaufman bible.

[*]Kid -- Blues Brothers: Messing with the Kid. 2:51
There it was, staring me in the face. Kaufman and I have a generational gap. He likes old SNL and I like the early 90s. I enjoy the harmonica in this ditty.

[*]Jesus -- Grateful Dead: And We Bid You Goodnight. 3:26
I've never gotten into the Dead, although I know a lot of folks who have and are. One day, I'll take a road trip with Ken Kaufman and we'll listen to the Dead the whole way and I'll get it. I liked the vocal harmonies in this one.

[*]Clango -- Beatles: Maxwell's Silver Hammer. 3:39
Abbey Road Outtake version
I barely recognized this one at first. I really love this version though. I think this one has a good foreshadowing of Wings to come.

[*]Pants -- Guess Who: These Eyes. 3:34
I sing this song constantly to myself, especially when I hear someone say "The Aye's have it".

[*]Stickman -- Trini Lopez: If I Had a Hammer. 2:53
If it's wrong to love this song, I don't wanna be right. This is a song for white people.
--------------------------------------------
[*]Hooker -- Tom Waits: Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis. 1:37
Three out of four CD swappers agree, Tom Waits should be in the mix.

[*]Diablo --> Cthulhu -- Little Feat: Dixie Chicken --> Tripe Face Boogie. 18:09
with Bonnie Raitt and J.D. Sothern, Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA, May 23, 1975
Fun song. And I should add, I've performed on that stage but Little Feat, Bonnie, and JD were long gone by that time. I always thought they were saying Dixie Chili. If I'm ever held at gunpoint and the guy says, "You can listen to one song before I shoot you" I'll choose this one because this song will afford me enough time to think of a plan.

[*]Bird -- Al Biles Virtual Quintet: Lady Bird. 5:47
I recognized it once it started but didn't know it by name. This is great intermission music.

[*]Captain -- Elvis Costello: Ship of Fools. 5:09
I'm a huge EC fan, did i mention that? Great freaking song. I like to pretend that I'm EC and Kaufman is Jerry Garcia, except I don't make a horrible comment about Ray Charles.

[*]Geek -- Weird Al Yankovic: It's All About the Pentiums. 3:31
Big fun. Hate the original, love the Weird Al version.

[*]Rocker -- Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone. 5:56
It's Dylan, man.

[*]Kaufman -- John DuRant: The Cat Came Back. 3:31
My wife didn't believe me that this song really existed, but here it is. Eat my dust, honey! Great choice.

I'll come back and do tape 2 after lunch.

---

6-04-04 9:44am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Tape 2: Backgrounds
[list=1][*]Diesel -- The Folksmen: Blood on the Coal. 2:59
The adult in me likes the song because of the story, but the kid giggles because he says went in the wrong hole.

[*]Wall -- Pink Floyd: Hey You. 4:40
I can’t hear Pink Floyd without thinking of Pink Floyd the Barber, a bit they used to do on one of the morning shows where they’d have Floyd the Barber from Andy Griffith do Pink Floyd songs.

[*]Apocalypse -- Grateful Dead: Morning Dew. 10:21
Ventura (CA) Fairgrounds, July 22, 1984
I’m beginning to think you’re a hippy, Kaufman. My ADD makes this one a little hard to get through.

[*]Graveyard -- Crosby Stills and Nash: Cathedral. 5:03
Something about this song reminded me of yes. Haunting was a good word for it, Kaufman.

[*]Prison 1 -- Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues. 2:35
Classic. I love the prisoners reactions to this one. “Shot ‘em? YEAHHHHHH!”

[*]Spaceship -- William Shatner: Rocket Man. 4:10
Recorded live, 1978
I heard that this song was recorded without their tongue being inserted in their cheek. How is that possible?

[*]Moonscape -- The Marcels: Blue Moon 2:10
I’m all about the Sha-Na-Na version, but this one will do in a pinch.

[*]Hell -- Flash and the Pan: Hey St. Peter. 4:18
What a weird song. It’s almost familiar but then not quite. It’s elusive like that. The piano bridge was nice, though.

[*]Field -- Bruce Hornsby: Fields of Gray. 5:50
The Paramount, Springfield, MA, November 24, 1993
Very pretty.

[*]Police -- The Clash: Police on My Back. 3:15
I’m surprised that you didn’t go with Sting on this but I’m glad you didn’t.
--------------------------------------------

[*]Bombs -- Country Joe and the Fish: The Fish Cheer / I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die-Rag. 3:33
I’ve heard this song recently in a movie that I can’t place. Very appropriate song for the times, I think.

[*]Clouds -- Traffic: Rainmaker. 7:04
Best use of pan flute this side of Jethro Tull.

[*]Planet -- Frank Zappa: Cozmic Debris. 4:28
Blossom Music Theater, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, August 12, 1984
I remember seeing the video for My Guitar wants to kill your Mama and it just blew my mind. What an insane, brilliant guy.

[*]Rocks -- Grateful Dead: Throwing Stones. 9:24
Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA, July 8, 1990
This song is all at once what I like and don’t like about the Dead. The song is fun and the crowd is digging it. That’s fun. I’m a sucker for the crowd participation lines. It’s ‘the jam’ that’s always about to happen that I don’t like. And it just keeps going. Still, overall, I give the song a B or B+.

[*]Bedroom -- Linda Ronstadt: We Will Rock You. 1:27
Yet I love it.

[*]Prison 2 -- Big Brother and the Holding Company: Ball and Chain. 8:48
Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA, July 12, 1967
Kaufman said “Janis had a couple great lungs. I love the way she screams her heart out in this version.”
Mmyers agrees. A friend once confided in me that Janis’ voice makes her want to have sex and since then I can think of no other thing when I hear her sing.

[*]Green -- Booker T. and the MGs: Green Onions. 5:05
From the Concert for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, OH, 1995
Nice closer and a testament to how cool they are is that it doesn’t sound live at all. My mom had this 45 when I was a kid and I listened to it over and over.

[*]"Hidden" Outro -- Joe Loss & His Orchestra: The Stripper. 2:11
From the Soundtrack of The Full Monty
Great, now I’m naked.
[/list]

This was a lot of fun K-dog. My favorite tape would have to be the characters one, as it is more of a good time music mix. Tape two is a little more introspective, yet it has its merits too. I meant to bring these tapes with me to the beach when we were there because I thought they'd make great 'on the beach' music, but I forgot them.

---

6-04-04 12:37pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

A HUGE envelope clogged my mailbox the other day. Turns out it was from mmyers. I haven't gotten into the tapes yet, but I had to read the story. Full commentary will come in a while. I still owe fuzzyman a review.

---

6-06-04 8:36pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Glad you got it. Kaufman, did you ever receive your package?

---

6-06-04 9:26pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

You all make me feel so whitebread.

Dammit, I'm rye! RYE, I tell you! With seeds!

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

6-07-04 3:13am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Some attitudechicks should start a punk band named Broads Of Canada.

I wish I was a girl, just so I could start the Broads of Canada.

quote:

How about the Quad Squad?

I like it. I'll see if I can source us a secret headquarters in Bermuda. Failing that, Talahassee. Failing that, the boxroom in my flat.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

6-07-04 4:11am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Earth Wind and Fire, was a Sideswap to myself some months ago. It's my own fault for not commenting before now.

-----------

1. Crystal Frontiers - I'm surprised to see this sort of track on an umfum compilation, but it's a track I have good memories of. Oh Yes.

2. Camino y Vereda - This is great, it took me a while to figure out which langauge the vocals were in, and I still find that the highlight when I hear it.

3. Filming the Desert - Ah. Possibly my favourite track on this album, this is more like what I've come to expect from umfum. I went out and bought Boxharp's The Tailored Soldier, because I liked this track so much. If I had to label it, I'd call it "alternative post country/folk" but more properly "excellence"

4. Telephone call from Istanbul - Tom Waits is a legend. The lyrics are brilliantly zany.

5. Ten Second News - This strikes me as being quite a personal track, but it's friendly on the ear.

6. The Wizard - Ah, ya can't beat a good bit of Sabbath. An offering to the Gods of Rock that pleases.

7. Little Wing - I'm not a big fan of Neil Young, but this is another track that leaves a little echo in the soul.

8. Show Your Face - Good lyrics again, I can identify with the first verse. Reminiscent of one of my favourite bands, Low, so this gets a hearty two thumbs up from me.

9. Wood and Glue - "Jingle jangle, I am an indie hipster song, and I make even the most cynical feel some small modicum of happiness." Reminds me of when I was (a small) part of "The Scene" in Scotland.

10. Not Over You - The break where his buddy is changing the radio channel and getting love songs all the time makes this track, coz I've been that guy, and I suspect a lot of us have too. 3rd favourite track.

11. Creepin' - Aw yes, Mr. Wonder. Smooooth. Good choice, very nice track. I prefer his livelier stuff, but this is very nice background music for getting the drawers off to.

12. Once Around the Block - Can't say I'm a fan of Damon Gough but this is definitley my favourite track by him; the fltered acoustic guitar intro is of legend, and the melody and time sig skip along like two teenagers who fancy each other but don't know it.

PS: 3 words. Twisted Nerve Records.

13. Theme to Parked Cars - The chord sequence has been done to death but this is very well put together; bit like a junior Orbital. Refreshing.

14. Speakers Push the Air - *moshing* Reminiscent of My Vitriol, and if I was gonna be harsh, the male singer isn't great. Pretty darn good though.

15. Mistakes and Regrets - I should really listen to this band more, if the rest of their stuff has been as emo-rockin' as this. Are they still around?

16. Redneck Wonderland - A fair kicking piece of production; the lyrics sound like they were written by a guy from The Hamptons rather than the Ozarks. Irony, maybe?

17. Kan-non Power - New school prog rock! I'm more into the old school prog, but this didn't make me cringe at all, heck I even nodded my head a few times despite the gratuitous use of synthesizers. Verdict: Rock.

18. Honey on a Biscuit - A band I know called Keiretsu write music like this. I wondered when we might see some jazz (on this disc) ;-)

19. Time's Running Out -
Myself and the gf practiced being Howard Dean to this track, so much so, that I have an MP3 with Dean's infamous "YEEEAGH!!!1" moment over the top of that track. 2nd favourite track. Rewl.

20. See ya, Dr. Banner. :-(

----------

With great respect, given all that has gone on in the life of Mr. Umfumdisi in the last year, I'm not surprised that this compilation, in my opinion, has had a more reflective, introspective feel to it than previous volumes. But, as usual, every track was sterling. Thanks as always.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

6-11-04 5:10pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Okay, jes has caught me out with his "reflective/introspective" comment. It's been five months since my father passed away. We were very close, and I miss him like hell. One of my favorite things to do for him was make CDs of music he either wouldn't normally buy/listen to or of his old favorites. And sometimes I'd make compilations of both. He was only 52, and he still enjoyed making noise on his electric guitar, so he was very open to some of the newer stuff.

Anyway, after his death, I jumped right back into the CD Swap because I felt the obligation of running the thing for Brad (and, of course, I enjoy doing it). I was tempted to make a disc of music my Dad would have loved, but my heart just wasn't in it. Instead, I decided to quietly insert some songs on "Earth, Wind, & Fire" that brought him to mind. That way, I could still send out a themed disc to other folks that held a special resonance for me.

So, here's the suite of five songs with a bit of explanation:

7. Little Wing - Dad was a big Neil Young fan, so I get it honest. I remember him playing the cassette version of "Hawks & Doves" when we'd ride to school in the mornings. When four Young discs debuted on CD for the first time last year, I was going to make him copies of each one. Didn't get to do so...

8. Show Your Face - My Mom and I were by Dad's side when life left his body in the bland hospital room. I was the first to notice that he'd stopped breathing. For a while, all I could remember when I thought of him was a glassy-eyed stare. A month ago, I had a pleasant dream in which we were at Dad's funeral, and he stood a few feet behind us. He couldn't speak, but his face and smile assured me that everything would be okay. That's the face I remember now.

9. Wood and Glue - Dad was a woodworker. He built our entire house and filled it with incredible funrniture. Most of his other jobs consisted of making custom cabinets for people. His main ingredients? Wood and Glue.

10. Not Over You - The song is about a guy and girl relationship, but the sentiment rings true for me. Dad and I should have had 20 more years together. More importantly, he should have had that time to spend with my son--the new grandson he'd wanted so badly.

11. Creepin' - "...in my dreams..." Again, more of a boy/girl song, but this one soothes me, and it has become more appropriate recently as Dad has been "creeping" 'round my dreams more often (in a good way).

So there it is. I didn't want to bring people down by putting all this in the liners, and you've had time to make your own associations with this music. Someday I will make that CD of "Dad's music," but it will be for me only.

---

6-11-04 11:03pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Jarvis and the Jesus Tape:

EELS - Sound Of Fear -- Offbeat and cheery. The organ lends an authentic feel. Very good beginning.

THE DECEMBRISTS - Billy Liar -- Could have used more of the cool effects found later in the song, but a nice, wistful piece for Jarvis.

BADLY DRAWN BOY - The Further I Slip -- Perfect music for making friends with a giant penguin! I like BDB whenever I hear him.

ELLIOT SMITH - Lost And Found -- I've tried to DL some of ES, but I haven't had much luck yet. I like this one pretty well. I had a chance to buy a used copy of "X/O" the other week, but I chose ZAPPA's "Hot Rats" instead only because I'd been looking for it longer.

MADLIB - Slim's Return -- I'm old enough to remember when BLUE NOTE gave rap group US3 the key to their vaults. A couple of popular songs resulted. I like this mix, but, being a Jazz fan, I'd probably rather hear the originals.

THE MOMMYHEADS - Hiawatha's Lullaby -- Nice retro feel. I don't think a band would want to sound like this all the time, but the song is well done.

THE WALKMAN - We've Been Had -- Rather dreamlike, it almost sounds like depressing carnival music.

JOHNATHAN FIRE*EATER -- "Trippy ROLLING STONES" about takes care of this one!

THE DARKTOWN HOUSE BAND -- I would have liked a longer snip :D

TOM WAITS -- Love it!! Note: "Grinding Up Penguins For Energy" will be the name of my first album.

FISH - Mr. Scruff -- Ha! I love this one, too. If my wife heard it, she'd say, "What the hell are you listening to?" The "Fish" chant makes my day.

ELVIS COSTELLO - Let Me Tell You About Her -- Can someone name me a better singer/songwriter from the past 25 years? I didn't think so. Poor girl.

TIN HAT TRIO with TOM WAITS -- Why have I never heard of the Tin Hat Trio? I will hear more now. Having Tom Waits "play" Baron Blande is most intriguing.

SEAN LENNON with MEDESKI MARTIN AND WOOD - Photosynthesis -- Hard to go wrong with MMW. The rhythm part reminds me of SUGARLOAF's "Green Eyed Lady."

BILLY BRAGG and WILCO featuring NATALIE MERCHANT - Birds And Ships -- Nice choice for Dehlila although I imagined her as more of a soft soprano. On a side note, I once told a friend that MARGO TIMMINS of COWBOY JUNKIES hasd the kind of voice you'd want to hear sing your child to sleep.

NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea -- A good song for leaving yet not ending. My family had 18 different addresses before I turned 10 years old, so it's no surprise that I'm fond of "travel" songs.

PIERRE JEUNET - Pas Si Simple -- Actually, I don't own the Amelie soundtrack. I don't know why. It's one of my favorite visual movies. Perhaps I was too distracted by the subtitles.

ELVIS COSTELLO and THE BRODSKY QUARTET - Romeo's Seance -- Almost anything from this album would make good music for rolling credits. Unfortunately, this track didn't show up on my cassette. Luckily, I have "The Juliet Letters" on cassette, so I know what you intended. :)

[hr]

Being the super-creative type person that he is, mmyers sent out not only a mix tape, but a tape of songs as the soundtrack to his short story "Jarvis and the Jesus Penguin." Such is the reason for all the references to penguins and people you other readers know nothing about. The story is a bittersweet tale of a lonely boy, the giant penguin whom he befriends (or vice versa), an evil(?) Baron who grinds up penguins for energy, and the madcap adventures they have when Fate moves them into a two-bedroom apartment. Sorry, that last bit was about "Three's Company."

Actually, it's a great story with vibrant, original artwork. And the mix tape brings it all together. Excellent Tape Swap, Mr. Myers!

---

8-02-04 8:30am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

quote:

ELLIOT SMITH - Lost And Found -- I've tried to DL some of ES, but I haven't had much luck yet. I like this one pretty well. I had a chance to buy a used copy of "X/O" the other week, but I chose ZAPPA's "Hot Rats" instead only because I'd been looking for it longer.

"X/O" is very worth purchasing but shouldn't be too hard to find. I agree, when you find good Zappa used, Dooo eeet!

quote:

MADLIB - Slim's Return -- I'm old enough to remember when BLUE NOTE gave rap group US3 the key to their vaults. A couple of popular songs resulted. I like this mix, but, being a Jazz fan, I'd probably rather hear the originals.

Good album to get the young kids into Blue Note, but if you own some of the originals (vinyl daddy!), it doesn't have the same effect.

quote:

THE WALKMAN - We've Been Had -- Rather dreamlike, it almost sounds like depressing carnival music.

My thoughts exactly.

quote:

FISH - Mr. Scruff -- Ha! I love this one, too. If my wife heard it, she'd say, "What the hell are you listening to?" The "Fish" chant makes my day.

It's nice to know I've passed on the curse of hearing that chant.

quote:

TIN HAT TRIO with TOM WAITS -- Why have I never heard of the Tin Hat Trio? I will hear more now. Having Tom Waits "play" Baron Blande is most intriguing.

Check 'em out. You will not be dissapointed.

quote:

On a side note, I once told a friend that MARGO TIMMINS of COWBOY JUNKIES hasd the kind of voice you'd want to hear sing your child to sleep.
I feel the same way about the girl who sings for the Sundays. An angel's voice.

quote:

PIERRE JEUNET - Pas Si Simple -- Actually, I don't own the Amelie soundtrack. I don't know why. It's one of my favorite visual movies. Perhaps I was too distracted by the subtitles.
I'm a sucker for accordion.

quote:

ELVIS COSTELLO and THE BRODSKY QUARTET - Romeo's Seance -- Almost anything from this album would make good music for rolling credits. Unfortunately, this track didn't show up on my cassette. Luckily, I have "The Juliet Letters" on cassette, so I know what you intended. :)
I considered trying to get into the next CD swap, but I had such a high degree of technical troubles with this one that i might wait a bit.

You know I'm going to steal this, right?

quote:

Actually, it's a great story with vibrant, original artwork. And the mix tape brings it all together. Excellent Tape Swap, Mr. Myers!
Thanks. I was so nervous when I sent them out, since it was stuff I drew and mostly painted and songs that had some meaning to me, so thanks for being so cool about it and for trading music with me.

---

8-02-04 8:58am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

BONU$ TAPE from mmyers:

Side A:
-------

1st RYAN ADAMS - "To Be Young Is To Be High." I think I've heard this song before. I didn't have any Ryan Adams songs until a friend of mine gave me a disc full of mp3s with a couple of his songs on it. I don't have this one; it's very cool.

2nd RYAN ADAMS - "Come Pick Me Up." As it turns out, I'm using one of those mp3s for CD Swap #5. Hey, this guy's pretty good!

3rd KINGS OF CONVENIENCE - "Toxic Girl." I finally had to look up the name of the Jack Black/Gwyneth Paltrow movie. It's "Shallow Hal." I could not remember the name of the damn movie even though my wife and I saw it (or parts thereof) about 50 times while we were on a cruise a couple of years ago! They had three movie channels on the ship, and the other two were showing "A Night To Remember" and "The Poseidon Adventure," so we didn't really want to watch either. Anyway, as much as I tried to NOT watch the movie, I ended up seeing the whole thing by the end of the trip. I don't think I laughed at any of the parts I saw. Ugh. *Oh, and this track didn't really interest me in any specific way.

4th THE EELS - "Daisy Through Concrete." More Eelish goodness. I'm beginning to see why you like this guy.

5th DANIEL JOHNSTON - "Favorite Darling Girl." Well, his voice sounds unbalanced! This one is sort of like The Beatles would have sounded had Emo Philips ever been their lead singer.

6th THE DECEMBRISTS - "Red Right Ankle." I started cracking up, but then it turned serious. I mena, think it turned serious or else...

7th " - "The Soldiering Life." ...I was confused and thought this song was the second part of #6th. Either way, they're both darn good.

8th DARK TOWN HOUSE BAND - "Packaging." Maybe a small taste on the last tape was better. This one seemed a bit goofy to me.

[this is the end of side one. please turn the cassette over to resume program]

B Side:
-------

Once HARRY CONNICK, JR. - "A Wink And A Smile." Who IS this guy? ; + ) = ;) (Interesting side note: my wife doesn't like him because she says he can't sing. He doesn't do much with this song, that's for sure. His pianoing is quite nice, though)

Twice EVAN DANDO - "Hard Drive." I never go into the Lemonheads unless you count the candies. But I do like Dando. Go figure.

Thrice NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL - "Holland, 1945." Noisy and raucous. Thank you!!

Frice DAVID DANDERO - "The Stars Are My Chandelier." His voice seems a little thin to me, but the music is really good, and he knows how to turn a phrase.

Mice ELVIS COSTELLO - "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away." Harry Connick? Elvis Costello?? Who the HELL are these people??? Speaking of mp3s (as I was a long time ago at the beginning of this review), I gave my friend a bunch of Costello songs on disc. He was unimpressed. Weird.

Ice? Okay, there's a pop type song here not listed on the track listing. Maybe it's an intro to the JELLYFISH song? It doesn't sound like it, but...

Sice JELLYFISH - "All Is Forgiven." Wow. This really does rock. I only remember the Jellyfish from their "Baby's Coming Back" song in the early 90s. Much better.

Sevice THE JAM - "In The Midnight Hour." My Canadian college roommate had a bunch of JAM stuff, but I was never really that excited by the sound. Same goes now.

exice AKROBATIK - "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle." Pretty good. Thanks for the intro.

Nice THE MILLS BROTHERS - "Opus One." Hey, I DID put the baby to sleep with this one. Pop stuff like this is good to hear once in a while.

OLIVIA TREMOR CONTROL - "The Sylvan Screen." Smart rock? Art rock? The problem with collage type musicians is that sometimes the noise drowns out the collage. TREMOR CONTROL got it right!

[hr]

Mucho excelente collection, mmyers. Thanks for the sideswap. Siht, I'm falling asleep. I'll finish my thoughts later....

---

8-14-04 9:55pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Boy, am I a slacky bitch, but here it is. The umfum review. I'm using the track list that jes typed up because the original one is in my car. Any mistakes are jes'.;)

1. Crystal Frontiers - I wasn't familiar with this tune until I heard this mix, but I like it a great deal. It gets me pumped up for some action. I'd like this song to play as I blow up my cube and ride away on a motorcycle.

2. Camino y Vereda - I wasn't a big fan of this tune. It kind of made me think of 80's movies when they have something set in the future and try to make futuristic sounding music. I do enjoy it more if I see those orange muppet things from Labriynth that pop off their heads dancing to it.

3. Filming the Desert - I love songs that set a mood and this one works brilliantly. It tells a story unto itself. It reminds me of Brazil (the movie) for some reason. Maybe it's the dreaminess.

4. Telephone call from Istanbul - I love Tom Waits. I was slumbering home after a long day of work and rehearsal and this struck a chord with me like you wouldn't believe and put me in the best mood. I love the bit where he says "Whoo!" like he couldn't control himself. I read an interview about this song once where he mentioned that the organ was really old and that they were only allowed to use it for two takes because its care taker didn't want it to die (wear out).

5. Ten Second News - Umfum is to Jay Farrar as I am to Jeff Tweedy, except we get along better. I really enjoyed this song. It's a bit of a downer after the Waits number but that's ok. Peaks and valleys. Wilco is my preference but SonVolt (or Farrar solo) will do in a pinch.

6. The Wizard - I was never a big Sabbath fan (besides the big songs) but this song rocks it. It sounds all bluesy. I definitely need to check back into them. I've been missing something, i think.

7. Little Wing - I've never really understood the Neil Young thing, but this song get's props because I know how much it means to umfum. I'm a sucker for harmonica.

8. Show Your Face - Some songs marinate in my brain ooze for awhile and then strike me one day while I'm walking along. I have to wonder if this is one of them.

9. Wood and Glue - What a sweet little tune. Her voice is like honey to me. It almost goes out of tune a couple of times but instead of making you squint, it just endears her more. Driving on the backroads.

10. Not Over You - "The break where his buddy is changing the radio channel and getting love songs all the time makes this track," Agreed. The song could get monotonous without that part but it comes in just in time and keeps you going.

11. Creepin' - It's smooth and I like smooth. I probably couldn't listen to it all the time, but it's a nice transition song. If I came over to your place and you put this on, though, I might get a little 'creeped' out.

12. Once Around the Block - As I'm sure you already know, I dig the Badly Drawn One. He's fun, playful, and tells a great story. This song goes with a rainy day or a sunny day.

13. Theme to Parked Cars - Fun video game music.

14. Speakers Push the Air - I'm 50/50 with this song. I kind of like it (the lead guitar, the driving style of the song, and it reminds me of Mates of State) and I don't like some of it (lyrically and vocally). Anyway, it conjurs up feelings and emotions and as any starving artist will tell you, that's what you want to do.

15. Mistakes and Regrets - I think this song is pretty good but what it really makes me think it that this band is awesome live. I could be off on this, but some bands sound good in the studio but phenominal live. I bet these guys qualify.

16. Redneck Wonderland - This end of the mix is definitely the rocker. This song is fun. Funny, it doesn't sound at all rednecky to me. Maybe I can't see the forrest for the trees.

17. Kan-non Power - More mood music. I really enjoy this style of music because it helps me write because it's evocative without spelling it out for you.

18. Honey on a Biscuit - Kind of reminds me of Mr Bungle, without the oddity that is Mike Patton.

19. Time's Running Out -
This is what i like to call 'doin' it' music, because it's fast and it makes me seem like I go longer. I kid. I generally listen to your mix in the office, which is a good thing because if I was behind the wheel with this song playing, i'd be dangerous.

20. End theme to the Hulk- I can't walk down the side of the road with cars passing me by without hearing this song. Also, i hear it when people shun me. Now I hear it at the end of your mix.

I need to fish the tape out of my car and review the extras, but i'm such a slack ass that it might take awhile.
----------

I loved doing this tape swap deally. I just think we need to visit each other one day and just play music all night and play cards or something. Maybe a roadtrip or something. Anyway, i loved the mix and I loved discovering music I'd never heard. Best.
mmyers

---

8-25-04 9:41am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Hah! I've still got two reviews to post. No, haven't forgotten -- life just keeps getting in the way. I hope to have at least one done next week -- I'll have the house to myself.

Indeed! Not to mention that we're all ... funny.

Anyway, you mention roadtrip and cards; I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that next summer's bridge nationals will be held in the backyard of two of us in Beautiful Downtown Hotlanta. You three learn to play and I'll be happy to form a team with you for some event :D

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

8-25-04 9:54am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

That broke me up while rereading my own review. There were several errors in the text, but that one conveys exactly how I felt at the moment--very tired.

[hr]

hey, mmyers there are bonu$ tracks on that cassette!!

[hr]

Has anybody seen the bridge? I'm just trying to find the bridge. Where's that confounded bridge?

I don't know how to play Bridge, but I do like to read about the Bridge hands when they have them in the newspaper (if papers even do that anymore). Were it a ROOK tournament, then I'd be better off.

---

8-25-04 8:47pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

I don't know how to play either but I'm willing to look like an idiot learning.

"Under the bridge downtown..."

---

8-30-04 9:35am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

I don't know how to play either but I'm willing to look like an idiot learning.

And you can even do it in the privacy of your own house

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

8-30-04 11:43am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Happiness and Harmony

[list=1][*] Shpadoinkle: As promised, a sweet opener. And properly weird.
[*] Kick Your Ass: Music to buttonman by?
[*] Tank!: Classy & Cool. And didn't end too early.
[*] Since You've Been Gone: Makes me wish I could take up a capella.
[*] Call Me Calmly: Probably would be a bit more effective a touch slower.
[*] Somewhere Over the Rainbow: Hahaha. Just for that, next time you're up here, I'll show you the "Surrender Dorothy" bridge.
[*] Hungarian Dance #5: Drop your knickers, Sir William!
[*] Carrie: Didn't really grab me, but not nearly so bad I'd burn down my prom if it were playing there.
[*] Hyaku Go Ju Ichi: Man of Hebrew faith / Has to scratch himself all over / Suggestive title.
[*] Wig in a Box: Good and catchy.
[*] Fraggle Rock Theme: You may need to turn me in. I was never very into muppets/fraggles. But not due to that song.
[*] Space Channel 5 Theme: Dead ringer for Quinn Martin.
[*] United States of Whatever: Whatever :-)
[*] Belleville Rendez-vous: Not familiar with the film; nice song.
[*] Brazil: This movie I saw ages ago. More good soundtrackin'.
[*] Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?: Fond memories of some of the software. Clever song.
[*] Mnemonics: Completely Laughable And Successively Sleazy, I Claim.
[*] Herod's Song: My mom had the JCS soundtrack on 8-track, so I was quite familiar with this piece. AC version's a hoot.
[*] Eastbound and Down: Another cinematic experience I've managed to miss. Quite appropriate music, I'm sure.
[*] Everyone's a Little Bit Racist: Not bad for a song written by a something-or-other.
[*] Pure Imagination: I might have chosen the oompa-loompa song from WW, but that's ok.
[*] Happy: Could be lengthened.
[*] Super Mario Medley: Makes me want to hammer something!
[*] Love Handles: The book was better :-)
[*] Happiness Hotel: Fits beautifully.
[*] Suddenly Semour: Ends on the right note. Excellent job. [/list]

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

8-30-04 6:43pm (new)

MikeyG
Shoots the shit and often misses

Member Rated:

Animated film, not really about America per say, but definitely takes a good couple of shots at the French and the Americans.

---
The giant three-phallused phallus of Uzbekistan will one day squirt the cosmic jizz of revenge all over Canada.

8-31-04 10:34am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

So there I was, unable to complete my contractual obligation because of having misplaced mmyers' CD in the flotsam of the family room, when it was here all the time, just on a completely unmarked disk that I made the effort to find and draw an inferior penguin on, so I'd never misplace it again. So now, finally, before 2004 sinks in the west, here is:

[i]Jarvis and the Jesus Penguin -- Soundtrack
(version chock full of bonus summer rerun tracks)[/i]

[list=1][*] The Sound of Fear: A friendly beginning. Makes me want to listen more.
[*]The Sound of Fear: Ph33r the Phlashbax0r!
[*]Billy Liar: Keeps the peppy mood up.
[*]The Further I Slip: Didn't really grab me.
[*]Lost and Found: Liner notes are right on about the keyboard.
[*]Eliot's Return: Rolling in the funk now ...
[*]Hiawatha's Lullaby: For some reason the last song flows into this one, defying all logic ...
[*]We've Been Had: Very familiar-sounding, but I haven't put my finger on what it so much resembles.
[*]Jonathan Fire*Eater: A fun mating of Brit-rock and an undercoating of psychedelia.
[*]Darktown House Band I didn't recognize it as a separate cut -- makes a good coda to JFE.
[*]Tom Waits Lyrics by Linda Blair.
[*]Fish: Makes a great companion piece to "Fish Heads." Can someone do an All About Fish CD?
[*]Let Me Tell You About Her: Take a deep breath ...
[*]Let Me Tell You About Her: Mmyers was right -- It needs to be played twice in a row.
[*]Helium: And then into the dissonance. There is some irony associating Mr. Waits with anything called "Helium," no?
[*]Photosynthesis: Instruments seem a bit out of tune with one another. Intentional?
[*]Birds and Ships: Nice.
[*]In the Aeroplane over the Sea: Again, extremely effective ...
[*]Pas si Simple: Winding down to earth now ...
[*]Romeo's Seance: Reeks of bonus-trackness -- definitely an outlyer. But pleasant.
[*]The Sound of Fear: I want this album in 8-track! Then I can hear TSoF 3 times in a row!!!![/list]
Very nice concept album, often fitting very well with the "libretto." I am impressed.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-28-04 7:47pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Hey Kaufman, we were considering doing another tape swap if this is something you might be interested in.

Also, I think Photosynthesis is out of tune as well. I can only imagine that it was an intentional thing. It's just off enough to catch your ear but just in tune enough to be melodious.

---

11-02-04 8:44am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

I might, though I fear my creativity wad may have been shot for now. Keep me informed.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

11-02-04 9:36am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP FIVE: Um Mm Zip Kaufman (Teh Cassette Crew)

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests