Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » Did someone mention religion?

Author

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

quote:

Yes. However, when its another religion, its not okay to be ridiculed.

[Click to view comic: '"Freedom of Religion" PFFFT! BAHAHAH! Yeah...right....']

The sad thing is, the guy in the first panel is actually saying peices of real conversations I've had with people.

Hold on, though. You imply in this comic you go out witnessing, which brought on these comics. In that case I feel the wiccan guy in the comic is perfectly justified to feel aggrieved. It's one thing to have your own personal beliefs, but to go around trying to convert others and then act surprised when they aren't too happy about that is another thing entirely.

2-25-04 1:56am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Presicely, and that's the difference between most of the pagan people I know and many of the christians I grew up around (though not the ones I currently associate with). The non-Christians didn't evangelize. The Christians generally did. I tolerate evangelism to a point, but it's quite irritating. When I want to know these things, I ask for myself, or I look it up for myself.

I keep forgetting that it was ten years ago that I was in high school and that times can change in that short an ammount of time, but I still suspect that christians are as evangelical as ever, and that pagans are still as resentful of it, but they just have slightly more recourse legally to make Christians leave them alone about it now. The fact still remains though, that Christians need not fear publically advertising their faith or their meetings because they are in the majority, while pagans still must maintain a low profile because of the hateful and potentially violent bigots amongst the ranks of Christians.

If however, that comic strip represents a real encounter with a majority (or even a large number) of the new generation of actual pagans nowadays, then I take this as further proof that people never learn, and that "vengeance" is always a stronger motivator than "reconciliation." As gratifying as it may be to see the tables turned, being on the recieving end of bad treatment seldom seems to make anyone reflective. Instead, it seems more effective in making them retaliatory. And so the circle continues.

2-25-04 5:29am (new)

Zaster
Wait for it...

Member Rated:

OTOH, if we did still live in the days of heresy trials and inquisitors, people's religious sensibilities would rarely be offended. A certain amount of offense is the part of the price you pay for living in a society that values the free exchange of ideas. That's partly why I don't necessarily sympathise with those who read an offensive comic now and then.

Look at it this way... If I'd grown up in some wacky UFO cult, and then grew up to resent that cult and all it stood for, I don't think too many people would bat an eye. In fact, I could probably pour our rivers of scorn and receive nothing but sympathy in return. I might even make a few bucks on the lecture circuit. But things are different when 50+% of the population are also waiting for the mothership to return. Its all relative.

I have resentment, and other people have reason to resent my resentment, and (as Drexle says) the cycle continues. But big deal. I say roll, on Columbia, roll on. Get it all out in the air and hash it out. Its all part of the process. Its only those (on both sides) who are too utterly close-minded to consider alternatives that get in the way of progress.

---
I was gonna send a robot back in time, but I got high.

2-25-04 10:22am (new)

NooniePuuBunny
Horny Female Tentacled Kaiju from Outer Space

Member Rated:

If you read it, you'd notice that wiccan started it. That was actually from actual conversations that were completely unprovoked. I know a group of wiccans that if they even see a cross on someone, they say crap about christianity! First guy was bashing, then the christian was countering.

---
I will rate you hard, and unendingly.

2-25-04 7:25pm (new)

Spankling
Looking for love in ALL the wrong places, baby!

Member Rated:

Sounds unique - backwards to most of what I've seen. I'm sure it happened. I'm just sayin'.

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

2-25-04 7:43pm (new)

NooniePuuBunny

Member Rated:

Sounds unique - backwards to most of what I've seen. I'm sure it happened. I'm just sayin'.

Yeah. You'd think anyway. I don't go up to complete strangers and just witness to em. I don't believe in it. Before I became christian, I hated when people did that. Now if someone starts up a conversation bout religion or starts bashing Jesus, I will open my mouth.

With that comic, I was showing the whole absurdity of the whole situation. I'm waiting for them to not allow kids to wear religious symbols in schools. They've already took that right from the teachers.

But on the other side of the fence, there are those weirdos who threaten to burn down wiccan meeting places, kill people in abortion clinics, and attack jews...all in the good name of Jesus. The church in Europe in the olden days used to burn jews in fact. Killing those jewish people all in the name of Jesus...which is kinda funny, cuz Jesus was a jew. Plus the bible speaks against any racism of any kind.

I do understand most people's viewpoints on this site. A month over a year ago I used to think the exact same way, that christians were these monsters that would attack anything that wasn't christian (I knew a lot of hypocrates that attended my school). In middle school, I was called Satan and VooDoo and whatnot. Some of the bullying kept on during high school (well...until I started lifting weights). By college, I was Jesus-bashing along with that group. So I know it sounds backwards, but any time there's hatred afoot, it goes on both sides of the fence. I just switched sides because I saw the truth.

Now, I'll admit that I've attacked Jesus-bashing cartoons (and racist ones too...), but that was out of babyish temper tantrums that arose from a combination of a bad day and someone rubbing me the wrong way. If I attacked EVERYTHING that was against every moral code, I'd attack virtually EVERYTHING on this site. And I would've been banned months ago because I would have witnessed to every user through PM land and the forums and become quite a nusaince.

---

2-25-04 8:15pm (new)

DragonXero
I'm Here, You're Queer, Get Used to it

Member Rated:

I've seen Wiccans, Atheists, and other non-christian belief systems (yes, I consider athiesm a belief. The only non-belief is one that doesn't claim to know what is or isn't) preaching their ways just as much as Christians. I make fun of them just as much as Christians, though they're not as easy of targets. I've seen some psychotic end-of-the-world guys with breadboards on trying to "convert the heathens", quoting scripture, and I just quoted scripture right back at them, proving everything they said wrong.

"And God created the earth..." "And then he did it again in Genesis II", and so on. At the same time, there is a guy who walks around downtown with a cross on his hat. He doesn't go up to anyone. He doesn't say anything to anyone. He just lets people come up to him if they want to talk. I see nothing wrong with that. He's happy to talk about christianity, but he doesn't preach. He doesn't tell you that you need to stop drinking, or smoking, or swearing, or having sex. He just listens, and helps. Like a religious psychologist.

---
Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants.

2-25-04 8:31pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Wait no more! In some areas it is against regulations to wear head scarves (a religious garb) in schools.

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

2-25-04 8:50pm (new)

DragonXero

Member Rated:

God that's stupid.

---

2-25-04 8:53pm (new)

boinky33
I'm with stupid ^

Member Rated:

Don't blame God.

2-26-04 4:44am (new)

xxausrottenxx
Sock of the walk

Member Rated:

speaking of religion

[Click to view comic: 'satanic satire 3']

i just thought this was worth posting

[Click to view comic: 'satanic stanup 5']

---
xx( o Y o. )xx

2-26-04 5:36pm (new)

OMG_DaGmAr_6481987
Stripcreator Regular

Member Rated:

Wait no more! In some areas it is against regulations to wear head scarves (a religious garb) in schools.

They had a court case about arm bands that promoted peace in the 60's. In the same sense, making it against regulation to wear religious garb in schools is unconstitutional, as it prevents the use of freedom of speech. Don't get me wrong. I do not believe in stomping religion into everyone I see and being protected for it. I just think that if I wanted to wear religious garb, I shouldn't be required to get rid of it.

2-26-04 6:10pm (new)

NooniePuuBunny

Member Rated:

I live in the bible belt of the US (the south). It just recently became a problem with theachers wearing crosses. When it starts happening around here, then I'll know that the world has gone farther to hell than it already is.

---

2-26-04 7:25pm (new)

NooniePuuBunny

Member Rated:

^-^ I'm not one of those that sits around freaking out about the second coming of Jesus. I just try to be good for His sake, taking one day at a time (the only way any christian should, in my own opinion anyway. Makes you less likely to drop over from a heart attack). But there are those weirdos who freak out about the whole ordeal.

[Click to view comic: 'End of the World Celebration']

---

2-26-04 7:35pm (new)

DragonXero

Member Rated:

I didn't blame him, I was simply telling him about it. He's got a right to know, y'know?

---

2-26-04 10:27pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

I live in the bible belt of the US (the south). It just recently became a problem with theachers wearing crosses. When it starts happening around here, then I'll know that the world has gone farther to hell than it already is.

So it doesn't bother you that it is happening to other students in this country... non-christian ones?

---

2-27-04 10:12pm (new)

graykane
as if i knew what i was talking about

Member Rated:

So it doesn't bother you that it is happening to other students in this country... non-christian ones?

let's get this straight. are we talking about banning muslim garb in US schools or solely what's occuring in france? if we are talking about the US, then i'd like to know the specifics as to where.

bomb france. nuke them. it'll make better cheese and less jerry lewis.

---
i want to piss on you

2-27-04 10:27pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/10/11/scarf.reut/

OKLAHOMA CITY, October 11, 2003

---

2-27-04 10:34pm (new)

graykane
as if i knew what i was talking about

Member Rated:

dude, that sucks. i would have never assumed that would fly here.

---
i want to piss on you

2-27-04 10:51pm (new)

DragonXero

Member Rated:

Careful. France is one of the few nations that still tests it's nuclear weapons.

---

2-28-04 3:56am (new)

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

I admit, in my strips I've gotten quite smarmy at times with issues of faith and religion. And if I've offended anyone, then I apologize.

Faith is something I've been struggling with since I was a pre-teen. I was raised Catholic, but was turned off to the Catholic Church by the unbelievably gossipy, bitchy, favorites-playing nuns that ran my grammar school (I was treated shabbily by the nuns because... *gasp*... my mother WORKED. I mean, how dare she provide a better life for me by earning a living in addition to my father's then-meager wage?!?). I tried being an "independent Christian" for a while, but have found it increasingly hard to reconcile belief in a higher power with the endless stream of excrement we deal with here on earth ("we" being the ones throwing the metaphorical poo at that). So I kinda wander back and forth between atheism, agnosticism, apathy, and light sprinklings of belief.

So most of my comics dealing with religion are just me blowing off some philosophical steam.

Oh, and in case this post made anyone think I was going soft... I still hate everybody. Bah. :P

---
I has a flavor!

2-28-04 9:34am (new)

NooniePuuBunny

Member Rated:

It DOES bother me. A lot. And when it finally does trickle to around here, I'm saying I'll know that it wont be long before they ban freedom of religion and send us to the corn field when we dont think happy thoughts. :/

---

2-28-04 6:50pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

quote:
I admit, in my strips I've gotten quite smarmy at times with issues of faith and religion. And if I've offended anyone, then I apologize.

Faith is something I've been struggling with since I was a pre-teen. I was raised Catholic, but was turned off to the Catholic Church by the unbelievably gossipy, bitchy, favorites-playing nuns that ran my grammar school (I was treated shabbily by the nuns because... *gasp*... my mother WORKED. I mean, how dare she provide a better life for me by earning a living in addition to my father's then-meager wage?!?). I tried being an "independent Christian" for a while, but have found it increasingly hard to reconcile belief in a higher power with the endless stream of excrement we deal with here on earth ("we" being the ones throwing the metaphorical poo at that). So I kinda wander back and forth between atheism, agnosticism, apathy, and light sprinklings of belief.

Another Unitarian in the making.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

2-28-04 7:08pm (new)

DragonXero

Member Rated:

My mom and I are the only ones who are working right now, and we barely pay the bills. My dad's going to be 62 this year, so it's damn hard for him to find a job. Sometimes Catholics bug me, at least devout ones.

---

2-29-04 2:21am (new)

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

Amusingly, I did consider Unitarianism for a while. But it seems like organized disorganized religion to me, so I can't quite wrap my head around it. Out of all the branches of Christianity, though, it's probably the one I'm closest to.

---
I has a flavor!

3-01-04 6:37am (new)

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » Did someone mention religion?

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests