Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #5 Group 3: Mikey Choad Ivy and Umfum

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I stole choad's template, and I know how to use it!

Mikey's Swap Disc 1:

1.) The Beginning is the End is the Beginning – Smashing Pumpkins. I like Smashing Pumpkins. I have a few of their discs, but I've never seen them live. Is this from Batman?

2.) Ain’t No Sunshine – Bill Withers Great song. Trust me, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know...

3.) Baker Street – Jerry Rafferty Love this song, and love MG for including it. I never could DL a good copy, and he sends one right into my hands.

4.) The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel Not my favorite Simon & Garfunkel song, but still a good one.

5.) Gravity – Perfect Circle "I thought this was Tool." <-- Choad said that. I just wonder why Maynard needs two bands. Good song, though.

6.) Dream On – Aerosmith Classic RAWK!

7.) Why I’m Here – Oleander Smells like success.

8.) Spinal Meningitis – Ween WEEN continually amaze and amuse me with their talent.

9.) Cornflake Girl – Tori Amos Besides that God song, I've never heard much of Tori, but I like this one.

10.) Barrel of a Gun – Depeche Mode Let me show you the world in my eyes.

11.) Baby Bitch - Ween More WEEN. Are you some kind of WEENer? Sorry, that comment sucked ass. VG.

12.) Fuck the Pain Away – Peaches Wow. WOW! I have a copy of "Lovertits," but this track is much better.

13.) Piggy – Nine Inch Nails "I really thought this band would have more longevity." <-- More Choad theft. I did too. Trent wrote some great stuff.

14.) Hell Yeah – Dead Prez Amazing. I haven't heard anyone rap that fast and furious and still make sense since Rakim.

15.) The Bug – Soul Coughing "favourite" <-- Okay, choad has used that word, like, three times, and he insists on misspelling it each time. Also, he said that I had to dis SC in my review of your disc because I did so in his. Here goes: these guys would be great if they concentrated as much on their music as the singer does his purposely "offbeat" lyrics. That said, there are several magical SC songs that I enjoy.

16.) Moaner – Underworld I think I like this one a bit better than the one on choad's disc.

17.) The End is the Beginning is the End – Smashing Pumpkins Hmmm. You sort of made a Pumpkin sandwich, but the Pumpkin is the bread, and your stuffing is a variety of Smashing sounds. Nice.

^The part about the sandwich is my overall review. I truly enjoyed this disc. Grade: A

Impact: Among the four of us in this swap group, we seem to have covered most of the major musical food groups and then some. We missed Reggae, but I did almost include AUGUSTUS PABLO on my "mystery disc," so we're doing pretty well. I also think it's cool that we're from very different areas of the country, yet we managed to find several artists in common. We could play these discs on an Ultimate Swap Group Road Trip, and, I dare say, never have to use the Fast Forward. Of course, you guys may wish to ignore these comments if you hate my discs!

Thanks again to all. This is an excellent group.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-19-04 9:47pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I finally got around to listening to the complete Commercial Music and Mystery Disc. Here it goes...

Commercial Music.
Since there are many soundbites on this disc that I'm not going to comment on, there will be some gaps in track numbers:

02 Tell Me Something Good - RUFUS featuring CHAKA KHAN; Always a great song. I have a Maceo Parker version that rips my face off.

04 My Friend - GROOVE ARMADA; I tried to see Groove Armada once, but their singer was late and Underworld was coming on at another stage. I enjoy listening to them, but I've never really gotten into them. This song is nice.

06 Gravity Rides Everything - MODEST MOUSE; Every Time I hear Modest Mouse, it reminds me that I need to listen to more Modest Mouse.

08 Cannonball – THE BREEDERS; RAWK! I love this song.

10 Si Señor – CONTROL MACHETE; I always liked this song from the commercial--thanks for including the full track. You know I like Spanish language music, and I really like this song now.

12 Mas - KINKY; I discovered Kinky at a listening station about a year and a half before this song started showing up in commercials and soundtracks. Their first album is great...their second album is pretty bland...probably made so by an American producer trying to push them into crossover success. Hopefully their third album will be back to basics. This is a good show to see live, by the way.

14 Sundown – GORDON LIGHTFOOT; I always wondered who did the original version of this. I'll comment on Gordon Lightfoot in the Mystery Disc post.

16 Papa Loves Mambo – PERRY COMO; I never knew this was Perry Como. I like this song, but I loathed my parents' collection of Perry Como records.

18 Sweet Happy Life – PEGGY LEE; fun little number.

20 Frozen Peas Spot – ORSON WELLES; I love the Celebrities at their Worst collections. This one is a real gem. After I first heard this clip, I said, "Unrewarding" for weeks in the place of "No," and any time I disputed something, I'd say, "Get me a jury and show me XXX, and I'll go down on you."

22 Beans and Cornbread – LOUIS JORDAN; not really my style here.

24 Muh-Nah Muh-Nah – THE MUPPETS; HAAAAAA! I LOVE this song. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! All my friends know this song and it has come up in conversation at least 6 times in the last year. Also, In college once, my roommate said, "Phenominal." and I responded with, "doo doooo de doo doo." It's still an inside joke.

26 Flamenco Sketches – MILES DAVIS; Classic. I have a framed poster of Miles from the Kind of Blue sessions in my office and listen to him weekly.

28 Pink Moon - NICK DRAKE; another song I liked from the 30 second clip. Thanks. Good song in its entirety.

30 Paul Quinn College Spot - BARRY WHITE (also from the Celebrities at their Worst collection)

32 Happy Jack - THE WHO; The Who were my favourite band when I was in middle school and high school. I rarely listen to them now, but I still have a soft spot for them. Notwithstanding, I always thought this song and others from this era like Pictures of Lilly too bubblegummy.

33 i'm a viking - The Simpsons (Ralph Wiggum); I've found that merely mentioning Ralph Wiggum in the right company can spark a 20 minute conversation. This quote always comes up.

34 Do You Realize?? – FLAMING LIPS; I like this song. I haven't really listened to any other Flaming Lips songs.

36 Tom's Diner - DNA featuring SUZANNE VEGA; Another song I always liked. A lot of people hate it because the doo doo doo doo's are too catchy.

38 Superfly – CURTIS MAYFIELD; I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard this song before, despite growing up in Motown and having an affinity for funk. When I heard the opening riff, I thought you put the Beastie Boys' Egg Man on here. I should have known better.

39 i thought turkeys could fly - WKRP (Mr. Carlson); I saw that episode the first time it aired. Funny stuff.

10-31-04 3:44pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Umfum’s Disc O’ Mystery

01 Aries 1 – Karlheinz Stockhausen. Reminds me of some stuff Frank Zappa did (I mean that in a good way)

02 Double Bump - Gold Sparkle Band. I like this era of jazz.

03 Before I Die – Mushroomhead. The first thing I did when this came on was turn it down. I was thinking of my neighbors. Not that they'd be annoyed that I was playing this, but I was afraid they would think I meant to put this track on.

04 Dead Man 10 - Neil Young. Dead Man is one of my favorite movies--this is my favorite scene. Every time I see it, I say, "usetacould" for a week, which is Reason #96 I could never live in the south.

05 A Musical Note - Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Nice take on music.

06 Trácate - Los Cuatro Amigos en el Espaci. I like the music, but the vocals are kinda garbled.

07 Honey, You're Wasting Ammo - Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet. Great instrumental. I always liked the Kids In The Hall theme and always wondered what this band's other music sounded like. Before I read your liner notes, I thought this might be a Sonic Youth track.

08 Over My Head - King's X. Another track I didn't want my neighbors thinking I was listening to. I kept wondering throughout this song if the singer kept hearing music, why didn't he try to play what he was listening to? I'm sure it would have been better than this anthem.

09 Ocean Breathes Salty - Modest Mouse. Okay, I'm convinced I need to listen to more Modest Mouse

10 Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Shuffle Demons. Unfortunately, everytime I hear this song, it sends me back to seventh grade when my music teacher made our class sing this song over and over and over again. Can you imagine being a hyper 13 year-old being made to sit still for an hour and sing lyrics like, "The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead/When the skies of November turn gloomy." Oh, the agony. Perhaps we had to sing it because I was living in suburban Detroit, surrounded by Great Lakes, and only 20 or so miles from the old mariner's church mentioned in the song. Whatever the reason, this song still makes my eye twitch.

11 White Knuckle Wedding - Bill Bruford's EARTHWORKS. I always liked the Bill Bruford era of Yes. This was a nice, jazzy, little song.

12 The Carpet Cleaners - Tom Mabe. Pretty funny. I got Caller ID the first week it was available in my area, because I'm passive-agressive and not answering the phone was the best way I could think of to mess with telemarketers.

13 Breathless 1 - Harold Budd (with Zeitgeist). Wow, what a fun track.

14 Guinnevere – CSNY. I liked CSNY growing up and owned this album, but never really cared for this song.

15 Song Of National Defence - Korean Federation. That's exactly what it sounds like.

16 Scoring - Guy Lafleur. AWESOME! This is an original track and not a mix? I would have thought this was a mix of Lafleur and the disco track...was it released by Lafleur just the way it is? If it was, it's my new favorite song.

17 La Vie C'est Chouette - Jodie Foster. HAAAAA! I guessed it! While listening to this before looking at the liner notes, I thought, "Did Jodi Foster put this homage to tomboy love out when nobody thought she was a lesbian?"

18 Cup Cakes - Terry O'Mason. FILTHY!

19 I Am Amway - Paul Harvey. Again, I listened before reading the notes, so I didn't know the title had Amway in it. When he said, "I am Amway" at the end, I laughed out loud.

20 Up And Down - the Mr. T Experience. This song sounds like Sex-Piano.

21 Wasted Rock Ranger - Great White. I cant believe this is Great White. It's a pretty good song. It reminds me of the Beat Farmers.

22 Dead Man 05 - Neil Young. I should get this soundtrack. I love it as much as the movie.

10-31-04 5:29pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I didn't mention it in my notes, but this song is the one that kick-started my desire to make a collection of music from commercials. It also kick-started my desire to hear more Nick Drake--his guitar style is excellent.

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!

The Beasties sampled so much stuff on Paul's Boutique that I don't blame you for thinking it was them. The entire Superfly album is pretty good.

Heh, this one is a wake-up call that you didn't request. I liked the linkage of the "Before I Die" title to the next track being from Dead Man. Plus, the song kicks major ass. I didn't think you guys would like it--except Mikey, maybe. In other news, choad worries about what his neighbors think of his musical selections!

Hmmmm. I thought the movie was a Western. :)

Yeah, but this version doesn't have lyrics. I can see how it would have a negative effect. I still know most of the words to the US service anthems because we sang them so much in grammar school music class: "Over hill, over dale, we will fight(?) the dusty trail, As those caissons keep rolling along...."

Congratulations, this is your new favorite song. Here's a link I titled--LaFleur!--that discusses the album a bit (starting in paragraph six or so). I'll try to find out more as I couldn't find a listing for the album or Guy at allmusic.com.

quote:
22 Dead Man 05 - Neil Young. I should get this soundtrack. I love it as much as the movie.

I think the soundtrack is the movie--without the visuals, of course. ;) Also, I'm proud to say that my Dad was the one who told me to watch this movie; he was a cool guy (but I don't think he would have liked Mushroomhead, either).

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-31-04 10:07pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

quote:
Hmmmm. I thought the movie was a Western. :)

Yeah, I know, but I live in the west, and i've only heard people say usetacould during my very brief adventures in Georgia and the Carolinas.

10-31-04 10:50pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

TENNESSongs
The overall sound of this disc was pretty much what I expected, given the title and theme. As more familiar songs were introduced, I couldn't help but thinking I was listening to some complilation disc advertised on TV. I was wondering where Arrested Development's Tennessee was until ten minutes ago when I read the liner notes.

01. Todd Steed And The Suns Of Phere - Radio Towers: I wish he would have sang about the "pickle park" aspect of Sharp's Ridge. There aren't enough country songs about that.

02. Todd Steed And The Suns Of Phere - New Knoxville Girl: Pretty good.

03. Ryan Adams – Tennessee Sucks: I'll take his word for it, but there's nothing wrong with a lazy summer day.

04. Oneida – Tennessee: This one was a little too subdued for me. Played a little differently, this also could have been a prog-rock song or metal power ballad.

05. Steve Earle – Copperhead Road: Actually, I hadn't heard this song already.

06. Indigo Girls – Nashville: I like the Indigo Girls, mainly because they dispell the stereotype that lesbians are hot.

07. Hank Snow – I’ve Been Everywhere: I keep trying to remember where I've heard this song...it's on a movie soundtrack or a commercial. Oh well. I like the song. And to set the record straight, here are the places I've been that are mentioned in teh song:

Chicago, Minnesota, Toronto, Winslow, Wichita, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Amarillo, Boston, Charleston,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Little Rock, Crater Lake, Louisville, Springfield, Bakersfield, Cadillac, Davenport, Pasadena, Catalina, Colorado, Eldorado, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, and Dodge City

08. Lyle Lovett – I’ve Been To Memphis: I've always appreciated Lyle...never really liked him all that much, but I like how he draws on different styles of music in making his "country" music. My favorite thing he ever did was play the creepy baker in Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" (which was FINALLY released on DVD last week).

09. Johnny Rivers – Memphis, Tennessee: I thought I had heard every cover of this song...I guess not. A classic.

10. Beastie Boys – Johnny Ryall: I've been listening to this song for fifteen years and never caught the Memphis, Tennessee reference.

11. Prince – Alphabet St.: Yes, funky. I've always preferred Prince songs when other people sing them for some reason.

12. Paul Simon – Graceland: Although I haven't popped this disc into my cd player in quite a long time, I still love this album.

13. Glenn Miller Orchestra featuring The Andrews Sisters – Chattanooga Choo-Choo: I have nothing to say about this song. Wait!

14. Tennessee Ernie Ford – Sixteen Tons: I think this is the first time I've ever heard this song all the way through. I always thought it was a country song, but this sounds like something beatniks would listen to.

15. Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed – Tennessee Stud: Always a pleasure to listen to Chet Atkins.

16. Todd Steed And The Suns Of Phere – The World’s Unfair (Since 1982): I liked the music, the vocals killed it for me, though.

17. Osborne Brothers – Rocky Top: I always thought this was a woman singing until I saw the guy singing this on a clip for some bluegrass CD hawked on tv.

18. Robinella and The CCstringband – Tennessee Saturday Night: Jivy.

19. Johnny Cash – Tennessee Flat Top Box
20. Johnny Cash – Tennessee Stud:
Like all rock poseurs, I like Johnny Cash. I had three roommates in the early 90's who loved country music, but would scream at me when I would play Johnny...yeah, country music to them was Garth Brooks, Jon Anderson, George Straight, etc.

21. George Jones – Tennessee Whiskey: I love Tennessee whiskey! This song is okay too.

22. Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves – Tennessee Waltz: Patsy is in the same league as Johnny with me...I'll listen to her and enjoy her any time she's on.

23. Robert Earl Keen, Jr. – Leaving Tennessee: You are now leaving Tennessee, please restore your sister to her original, upright position and spit out your tobacco before crossing the state line. We hope you’ve enjoyed your stay. Y’all come back now, ya hear? I have nothing to say after reading that comment.

11-20-04 11:57am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

ONEIDA plays all types of songs. They don't really have a set style. As you say, this song could have been done several ways.

Watch out, else I'll send Emily and Amy over to rough you up and revoke your rainbow!

It was on a recent car rental commercial, I believe, and done by Johnny Cash. I prefer Hank's version.

Yeah, just ask Sheila E, Appollonia, Sinead, Chaka Khan, et al who wrote their biggest hits.

Whenever I see or hear the word beatniks, I think of the Beverly Hillbillies episode where Jethro turned into a beatnik. Heh, I should have started that sentence with" "You might be a redneck if...."

quote:
19. Johnny Cash – Tennessee Flat Top Box
20. Johnny Cash – Tennessee Stud:
Like all rock poseurs, I like Johnny Cash. I had three roommates in the early 90's who loved country music, but would scream at me when I would play Johnny...yeah, country music to them was Garth Brooks, Jon Anderson, George Straight, etc.

I'm pretty sure that's George "Strait," you rascal. And, as I've said for the past ten years, "Garth Brooks killed Country Music."

---

12-02-04 11:04pm (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Received choady's CD's the other day... have been too busy to listen as of yet, though.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

12-25-04 9:56pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

It's been a while since I received umfum's side-swap discs and I wanted to try and devote more time to giving them a proper review but I've been very busy and AFK, so a quick note to say that they were all awesome and I enjoyed them all, even the obscure film excerpts, the Tenessee "College football song", and the adverts!

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

12-31-04 6:28am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

uh

never got anything from umfum. i was meant to, right?

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

12-31-04 11:38am (new)

MikeyG
Shoots the shit and often misses

Member Rated:

Okay, you feckless anal warts!

I've got the second CD of this long-awaited swap to be sent out at the end of next week (which is when my paycheck comes in).

Ivy - I'll send yours with the side-swap CD from #6.

---
The giant three-phallused phallus of Uzbekistan will one day squirt the cosmic jizz of revenge all over Canada.

5-19-05 3:08pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #5 Group 3: Mikey Choad Ivy and Umfum

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests