Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #6 Group 1: Choad - Habnem - Ivy - Jes

Author

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Okay...ahem...

So that tech guy was supposed to cancel the work order for a technician to come to my apartment, especially since there's no one around here for them to send, but the other day I got a new motherboard in the mail instead of the empty box to send it back in. So I had a friend put it in for me since I'd rather not inadvertently destroy an entire paycheck's worth of a computer (yeah, not that pricey). After that was over, a guy from Dell called saying HP had sent him the work order and he's been sitting on it a while but no part had showed up so I told him HP was a bunch of morons and it was taken care of so then I had to call yet another guy in India (though he had the best English of all three guys I talked to, yet still not enough) and make sure that work order had been cancelled since it costs me money and I already took care of it myself since I was sick of the whole mess.

And the empty box arrived today.

So anyway, I have the supplemental CD burned, but I still need to make labels and get cases. The main CD, which is turning into a two-disc set, will take a bit longer since I want this to be a work of art. I think you all will like it. Even if it's not your thing, you will have to bow to my CD creating skills. Because I'm just that awesome.

So, give me another week before I get them sent.

Choad, I've had many requests from people for a copy of the CD you made. It's just that awesome.

3-23-05 10:47am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I'm glad you liked it. I'm also glad I ditched the second disc--it would have sounded really bad next to this one.

I was just thinking about the sound of this disc. It kind of sounds like something that a gay guy who grew up in Detroit would make...funk, soul, and house music. Must be why it was so easy for me to throw together.

3-23-05 6:00pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

I agree with ivy, I listened to Choad's disc yesterday and it blew my trunks off. You should like one of the Quincy Jones tracks I put on my second disc, which, along with the 1st disc, is being dispatched this week, 100% true. Not 100% happy with them but hopefully people will enjoy them for what they are.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

4-02-05 6:02am (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

I finished the CDs finally. I'm not as happy with Disc 2 as I am with Disc 1 and there's a few iffy songs that I think I threw in more as filler than anything else, but unless I come up with a Version 2.0 in the next week, I should have them mailed out no later than Friday (day after payday). Or I'll send Jes's first and the rest a week later just to make sure you got them all close to the same time.

4-02-05 4:58pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Discs will be posted tomorrow; sideswappers will have to wait a little longer still.

---

4-12-05 3:33pm (new)

habnem
optical delusion

Member Rated:

Got JES's discs today; officially packaged my one disc to mail Monday. I do hope it'll be worth the wait for all of you (:

---
- christ@myself.com - fuck a cat, kill yourself - my alter ego has five stars

4-16-05 11:32pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Got Jes's today. I'll give them a listen tonight (unless I get sucked into bad TV). I keep putting off making the cover art for the CDs since it requires hard work like plugging in the printer, so it will either be something boringly generic or so awesomely fabulous that it makes everyone's head explode.

I won't have a chance to get to the post office until Monday (unless I really want to use my lunch hour to do it) so that's the earliest they'll go out anyway.

I am The Procrastination Queen.

4-20-05 1:34pm (new)

habnem
optical delusion

Member Rated:

Wuss. I totally used my lunch hour to do it. Then again, the post office is right around the corner from my office.

Do they even have post offices in Wyoming?

---
- christ@myself.com - fuck a cat, kill yourself - my alter ego has five stars

4-20-05 9:09pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

They still use the Pony Express, but, due to downsizing, it's just one old dude riding the mechanical horsey in front of Wal-Mart. Of course, everyone goes to Wal-Mart eventually, so it all works out.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

4-20-05 9:18pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

See, in most places, having a post office means you're an official town. In Wyoming, having a bar means your an official town.

Or in the case of several towns across the state, the post office is in the bar. In Tie Siding the post office, bar, gas station, and antique store are the same building.

It's western efficiency.

4-21-05 6:37am (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Finally got the discs burned and the labels made. Will mail them tomorrow afternoon. Sending them media mail because I'm a cheap bastard. Jes, yours will probably arrive sometime next year at that rate.

4-26-05 5:20pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I'm still having issues with getting my arse to the post office to send out sideswap discs.

---

4-27-05 4:09pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Due to the blizzard we just got (this is Wyoming, I'm not joking), the mail won't go out until the interstate opens up again. This thing is supposed to continue through Monday so I don't know if it will even get out before then.

The Wal-Mart parking lot looks like a freaking truck stop. I went out to my car for lunch and discovered I was literally surrounded by a dozen semis. My poor little Geo was feeling a wee bit insecure.

4-28-05 1:36pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

The interstate is open again so I sent the discs out. Though we'll probably get another one tomorrow.

I sent them media mail, so you'll get them the end of this week at the earliest. Jes's was sent first class, so it won't take a month.

5-02-05 4:00pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Hooray!

I reviewed the discs I burned to send to sideswappers, and they were corrupted, so I'm doing them again. Your patience is my solitaire (appreciated)

---

5-03-05 5:29pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Remaining sideswap discs are sent. Did the rest of you get the ones I sent out months ago or did Synthesizer Patel scare you into never touching a keyboard again?

---

5-08-05 4:24pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

I'm going to be driving to Iowa this week so I can lsiten to the swap CDs on the road.

Of course I'll be going into internet withdrawl. And CSI withdrawl. Even if Grandma's TV could get decent reception, there's no way I could watch TV with my mom, her husband, and my uncle around. They'd just talk through the whole thing, tell me I should be doing something more productive (even though we probably would have spent the day doing nothing but productive and/or exciting things) and mom's husband and my uncle doing the whole snob routine about TV being a waste of time and they'd NEVER bother with it.

Hypocritical bastards.

Ahem...

Anyway, I'll review them in a week!

5-13-05 6:20am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

That's a strange reason to go to Iowa.

quote:
Of course I'll be going into internet withdrawl. And CSI withdrawl. Even if Grandma's TV could get decent reception, there's no way I could watch TV with my mom, her husband, and my uncle around. They'd just talk through the whole thing, tell me I should be doing something more productive (even though we probably would have spent the day doing nothing but productive and/or exciting things) and mom's husband and my uncle doing the whole snob routine about TV being a waste of time and they'd NEVER bother with it.

Hypocritical bastards.

Ahem...

Anyway, I'll review them in a week!

Even though we got a small preview, I can't wait to read ivy's reviews of her family. Won't they be talking and drowning out the music from the CDs, as well?

Bonus joke:
Q: What do you call four Wyomingerians leaving the state?
A: A massive exodus! ;)

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

5-13-05 8:38pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

This Is A Test:

01. DICK DALE - Fun and frolic from The King of the Surf Guitar, plus "Let's Go Trippin'" aptly describes the rest of the disc.

02. STATUS QUO - I think the only song I've ever heard of theirs is "Picture of Matchstick Men," and I don't even remember how it goes. "Down Down" has a nifty, driving beat and is quite infectious. What year was it recorded?

03. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - Even though I listed CB among my picks for the 25 worst bands in another thread, I have to admit that "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" is a cool track--albeit the most listenable one I've ever heard by CB.

04. THE FALL - Due to a technical problem, I was looking at the wrong tracklist while listening to this disc the first couple of times. It didn't help that I thought they were singing, "I'm an edible man, myself." Good tune.

05. JOHN PEEL - See, jes, you can work snippets into a compilation. Excellent. RIP, JP.

06. NAPALM DEATH - Don't care much for their sound, but the band name is one of the best ever.

07. TOM WAITS - Very cleverly humorous. Aces.

08. CONTROL ZONE - Is this The Clash under an assumed name?

09. TRACER AMC - Sublime example of musical distension.

10. IRVINE/BRADY - jes always includes something like "Fred Finn's Reel" that makes me wish I was born across the pond at an earlier time.

11. CUBAN BOYS - Annoying at first, yet I find myself yodeling it at odd moments.

12. TRANS GLOBAL UNDERGROUND - Not as memorable as the previous track, but groovy while it lasts.

13. PLAID - Very nice. Puts me in the mind of a more electronic Medeski Martin & Wood.

14. CALIBRE - A bit too drum-n-bassy for my taste. Didn't seem like much of anything happened.

15. BEATLES - Ah, "Yellow Submarine," Ringo's ode to the life aquatic and fun drugs.

16. LAURA CANTRELL - Sweet 'n' Soothin'.

17. PJ HARVEY - I never thought her songs lived up to the hype of her critical praise, but "Kamikaze" is really good, and a nice choice for this comp.

18. LOW - On the other hand, I always look forward to LOW songs on a jes CD.

19. CAMERA OBSCURA - Even though I am an "Eighties Fan," this song didn't heighten my experience of such.

20. JOHNNY CASH - Like a gutbucket Sinatra, Cash takes most songs he covers and makes them his own.

21. ROY ORBISON - "It's Over." I've always wondered why Roy never made it REALLY big. Maybe it was the glasses. Shouldn't this have been the final track? ;)

22. JOY DIVISION - Thanks for reminding me that "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is an awesome song.

23. THE UNDERTONES - Another chocka-rocka. Good stuff. But shouldn't it have been on "Teenage Dreams?"

As usual, jes provides a varied and distinctive palette splashed across a wide canvas. You've extended my musical horizons yet again.

And, now, a slight complaint...
I received two versions of this disc instead of "Test" and "Teenage Dreams." The tracklist for "Dreams" looked quite smashing, so I'd love to get a copy if you can still make one. However, don't waste postage by shipping another disc. I can wait until the next swap. Thanks.

---

6-01-05 8:40pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Ah yes,

I can only apologise again. I ran out of 90 minute CDs and had to re-jig various tracklists. In the ensuing confusion I must have picked up two copies of the same disc. I'll make amends next time.

Reminds me: feedback for my swap group buddies to follow shortly.

---

6-03-05 12:34pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

OK quick review:

Ivy
Bad Girl Boogie discs one and two were brilliant. I:
- love some of the band names, Jack Off Jill being my favourtite
- never knew how much Joan Jett swore
- thought the whole lot was awesome. I keep them in my office drawer now for short bursts of oestrogen fuelled rock action.

Songs of the Blue Vest, for a disc full of supermarket cheese, was a lot better than I thought. Leo Sayer still gives me nightmares but Roy Orbison and Go West more than made up for that. And the cover gave me a funny feeling in my undercrackers.

habnem
OK so a disc themed on the 12 bar blues admittedly didn't fill me with hope, but this managed to defy expectation and prove non-repetetive, plus a really good listen. I liked your track you did yourself a lot, but my all time favourite is the Indigo Girls track "Girl Trouble" because I'm immature and find the line "Girl Trouble up the ass" hilarious. Excellent work.

I would single out more tracks for praise but my back is going numb for some reason.

Thanks swappers.

---

6-07-05 12:28pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

I should probably do a review or something.

habnem's:
At first I wasn't sure what it was going to be (I don't pay much attention to things) but I absolutely loved it. It was a great driving disc and the theme was clever. I know I wouldn't have had that kind of dedication to work out something so specific. I must say, "If I Leave This Morning" was great. I also loved "Baby I'm Drunk" and "Pleasantly Blue."

jes's:
I wasn't overly sure of what I was getting into when I listened to these (and I shouldn't listen to trance while driving across Nebraska, I soon discovered) but after a few listens I realized how much I enjoyed the two discs. Actually, on the way back from Iowa I kept playing them over and over. Except the last half of Nebraska. In general, I liked disc 2 better than disc 1. There was an interesting variety I really enjoyed. "Knight Rider" was great (I really enjoy Indian pop/rock/etc) and I thought "How To Be Dead" was eerie. On disc 1, I enjoyed seeing some of my old favorites like PJ Harvey, Napalm Death, and Tom Waits. That one, by the way, was hilarious.

I usually prefer driving music that keeps me awake and focused on the road (and played at deafening decibels to keep me awake). These however, are going to permanently live in my travel CD case (and by "CD case" I mean I'll make tape copies because I turned in the rental and my car merely has a tape player that works only on alternate Tuesdays).

The CDs also confounded my brother because he's convinced I listen to nothing but "old" music. Like 80's.

6-07-05 2:41pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #6 Group 1: Choad - Habnem - Ivy - Jes

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests