Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #7: Group Three--Jes Cpausti BigFrank

Author

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Holy crap!!! Your CD got there ALREADY??? The lady behind the counter said a week to a week and a half! Jeeeze. I need to rethink my lack of faith in the postal service! Well, I hope you enjoy your CD jes.

9-16-05 11:27pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Jes, I got your CD today. It was awesome. Yours too cpaw. Thanks a lot both of you!!!

9-19-05 7:12pm (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

So can I post my review now or what?

9-19-05 10:53pm (new)

cpausti
The Nordic Soulman

Member Rated:

Yeah, I just won't look at this thread until I get Jes' CD. And if Jes has Frank's, can I post my review of his soon?

---
all the wrong things for all the right reasons

9-19-05 11:10pm (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

Chi_The_Cynic reviews jes_lawson's Stripcreator Swap #7 CD

"Gentlemen... welcome to Fight Club."

First of all, I thought the cover was supercool. The inclusion of the second SC asiangirl was subtle, and at the same time very fitting indeed.

Secondly, this CD makes for excellent drivetime music. I would recommend to anyone in this group who drives to stick it in their car CD player and blaze it down the motorway (or "highway" as you folks say) with Fightin' Tracks turned up to 11.

Now, to the music...

The opening two tracks were an inspired choice, given the theme of the CD. I didn't immediately recognise track two, but as soon as I heard "Round One... FIGHT!" I laughed with happy SF2 nostalgia.

"Watch Song" had a good, solid beat to it which I enjoyed. The lyrics, though they be few, were thematically fitting too.

"Fear Is My Ally"/"Duel Of The Fates" are notable as the only good things about the otherwise awful Star Wars Episode I. I have always had a fondness for "Duel of the Fates", and its inclusion here was most welcome.

"Fury Of The Storm" was manic, crazy and zany, reminiscent of certain Japanese pop songs I have heard. I broke the speed limit on this one. Unfortunately my CD broke off abruptly towards the end of this track, but this wasn't sufficient to spoil my enjoyment of it.

"Medieval": nothing I can say could do justice to quality Tarantino dialogue.

Neither "Blue On Blue" nor "Fight The Power" are the sorts of songs I would usually choose to listen to, but I have to admit they weren't bad.

"Ready Or Not" is quite something - I don't think I'll ever listen to Enya in quite the same way again...! Again, not my usual taste, but nevertheless entirely listenable. Is he saying "when I raise my chicken finger"? If so, moh?

"I Predict A Riot", good clean Kaiser Chiefs fun. As they say, another quality product from the House Of Kaiser.

"Fight Test" was one of my favourites on this compilation (in terms of new music I've not heard before). The melody seemed familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. A great song.

"Love Really Changed Me" was OK, though I'd have to say it wasn't especially remarkable. Very easy on the ears, though.

"Apply Some Pressure" started out as a bit of a Greenday moment, and yet in spite of that, I liked it! Also, in fairness, it developed into something much less Greendayish (thus good).

"Crazy Weird Noises" yeah, Jes, what the fuck was that about? I think this must've got recorded instead of the famous "One day, I will come back. Yes, I will come back" Hartnell line - which is a pity. Still, I know the line well enough, and since you're already preaching to the converted...

..."Dr. Who Theme" was good stuff! Yes, it's official, I am a Whovian. And Orbital gave that eerie BBC radiophonic tomfoolery good solid treatment.

"Joy Division Oven Gloves" was a jolly little ditty. The line "Oooooo picalilli shinpads" made me laugh a lot.

"Three Little Words" was immensely enjoyable and eminently listenable - a well placed break from the fightin' talk of the compilation, I felt.

"Blacklist" was a low for me, on an otherwise highly rated album. Sorry.

"Self Suicide" - see, my problem with Goldie Lookin' Chain is that their lyrics are hilarious, but I just can't warm to the actual music which they use. They are very funny, though... "Jesus was nailed up to some wood, two thousand years later and book sales are still good" haw!

"Hard Vanilla" and "Money Runner" were two nicely mellow tracks as the album drew to a close, and I liked them both.

"Zoetrope" - ahh, it wouldn't be a Jes compilation without some Boards of Canada... and lo, they were the grand finale! Excellent.

As you may have gathered, I thought it was a superb compilation overall, and even the so-called "low points" were only really low by comparison to the other tracks they sat alongside.

You have taste, Mr Lawson. But then, I already knew that; and so did you.

8/10

9-20-05 1:12pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Both CDs now received from Stateside swappers - once the Da fires them over here I'll have reviews posted sharpish like.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

9-22-05 4:18pm (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

word yo

9-25-05 12:06am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Got both CDs today - I'm reviewing the discs live, as I read some files about C++.

BigFrank105 - Ultra Megamix 2600 - Yuo Know Yuo Liek It !1!1

1.Tenacious D - Ah, me and Fuj had great fun playing the D when I visited him in August, I loves it.

2.Faith No More - Ah yes, this one, I've heard it a bit and didn't know what it was called. Rocking.

3.Ozzy - Rock on. Punish large while off your face on painkillers, making no sense.

4. Jane's Addiction - Another track I've heard but not known what it was. My opinion of this band just doubled.

5. Kool Moe Dee - Not bad, doesn't jump out at me but this CD is kicking it so far.

6. The Black Mages - Yes, this is my favourite track so far I think. It sounds like the Blade Runner theme got remixed with breakbeat and guitars. Wicked.

7. Outlandish - I'm not a fan of commercial r'n'b but I've learned to not hate it, if that makes sense. This is pretty heartfelt stuff, and I like the way it sounds almost like a demo.

8. Fountains of Wayne - Woo-hah! Haven't listed to much of this band, they remind me of early Ash, except a bit better. I really like the lyrics. ROCK.

9. Lucky Boys Confusion - Kind of generic post-punk post-pop, but it's another quality track so I'm not complaining. I'm now rocking out in my seat.

10. Tommy James and the Shondells - In total contrast, a laid-back little number, sounds like a 50's doo-wop number recorded in the psychedelic 60's. This works well after the rockage.

11. Kanye West - Not his best track I think but this is still a good track.

12. The StrongBad techno - hahahaha!

13. 2Pac, 50Cent, LLoyd Banks - I'm a bit cynical about releasing records with 2Pac on it nearly 10 years after he was killed - I hope his estate is making a lot of money. But he was a quality rapper, and this track bumps along nice.

14. Chiaroscuro - Oh, f'in bring it! I'm not keen on the vocal style but that's only a small point. This rules so much.

15. Blindside - Another rocking slice of rawk. Don't usually listen to this sort of music, but this is very very good and I'm sort of banging my head.

16. Corey Hart - Ah, the original mix. The electroclash remix by Tiga was a staple of the club we go to in Belfast. He sounds a bit like Sting in this one. Uh, oh - I'm having 80s flashbacks...Lovin' it.

17. Dropkick Murphys - Come on! This is definitley more my style of rock. This is the sort of song that should be played loud before going out on the lash.

18. Less Than Jake - I saw them live at Reading a few years ago. It was an intense set. This is an intense track definitley time for some seat pogoing.

19. Metallica - Ah, always end with a classic.

That was a fine fine compilation, it rocked hard and had just enough variation to keep my ears refreshed. The artwork was well good and the personalised CD was a great touch as well. Cheers, BigFrank, that punished!

So, on to

cpausti - cpausti's first mix

1. Steppenwolf - Oh yes, nice start, I agree with the comments. Rocking out, in a classic way.

2. Chicago - More classic rock. The guitar in this is indeed quality, I'm loving it.

3. Daft Punk - I prefer Digital Love from this album but this is an excellent track too. I'm a big fan of the work of both of the guys from Daft Punk, one of them is involved in a record label called Crydamoure which does a lot of loopy French house, which I highly recommend.

4. Pink Floyd - I got very stoned with a lady once in her room at college, and we listened to this, while doing other things. I think I prefer Time, but the whole album is genius.

5. Ten Years After - Good track. Can't really get into it, don't know why, as it reminds me of The Who's Behind Blue Eyes Will give it another listen later.

6. Duke Ellington - This is just the ticket. Not a big fan of Louis Armstrong but Duke's work on this is superb. It's all good.

7. Catch 22 - not really a big fan of new ska in general, I prefer the old bands, but this is pretty damn good. reminds me of Less Than Jake when I saw them. By the end of the track I was really getting into this.

8. 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster - I've found their stuff a bit hit and miss but this one is a hit; good and heavy and pounds along like Iggy Pop on uppers. Heh heh! Nice Shaun of the Dead sample at the end too!

9. Dizzy Gillespie - Oh yes. I like it. A nice piece of old latin jazz, superb!

10. Apples In Stereo - One of Brad's favourite bands, which I also dig the hell out of. Good choice.

11. Jimi Hendrix - Great beats, great bassline, oh yes. This should be played at all good indie discos. Loud.

12. The Eagles - Back to the classic rock. I usually can't stand the Eagles, due to most people only ever playing Tequila Sunrise or Hotel California. This however, I haven't really heard, and it's smooooth with a hint of edge, like a velvet razorblade.

13. There was a documentary on the New York subway system on BBC Radio 4, and they used Ella Fitzgerald singing this song as the title music. So I already dig the hell out of this tune. And I dig it even more now I'm listening to it. So good.

14. Tenacious D - This is a simple song, played by an extraordinary duo, about raunchy fucking. We likes it, we likes the 'D'. Fuck, yeah.

15. Yes - Next to Focus and ELP, one of my fave prog rock bands of all time. Superb playing on this and a superb melody and chord progression. I need more tracks like this.

A splendid splendid first compilation, I look forward to more.

Thanks to both of you guys, those were fantastic discs.

---

9-27-05 10:21am (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Thanks for the kind words Jes. I'm glad my first CD was such a hit. And I do share your thoughts with that 2pac song. I'm such a big fan of 2pac and don't have ANY of his stuff on my laptop and wanted to put something in there. I'm a big fan of rap, so I had to put some in there. Believe me, there were a lot more songs I wanted to but on there. Guess I gotta put our more CD's next time. Anyway, here are my reviews:

Cpausti's Mix

Magic Carpet Ride - When have I never not effing loved this song? I think I saw some bitch butcher it on American Idol one year, but still, you gotta love this classic

25 or 4 to 6 - I've heard of Chicago, but never heard of any of their stuff. This is definitely some high quality shiz-nit.

Aerodynamic - DAFT PUNK! You have any idea how giddy I got when I saw Daft Punk on this CD? Pretty damn giddy. Excellent groove.

Brain Damage - Pink Floyd. Amazing. What else can I say?

I'd Love to Change the World - Hmmm, I wasn't too sure if I liked this one at FIRST. As the song went I really got a liking to it. Like the guitar in this one.

C Jam Blues - Never been into jazz, but I had no trouble enjoying this tune. It was definitely a toe tapper, and a classic from what I hear.

Never Ending Story - Holy. Flurking. Shit. I can't tell you how much I loved this song. I love Ska music, and this is definitely going to be a band I'll be checking out in the future.

Mister Mental - Love the lyrics, love the guitar. Really great sound to this one.

Manteca - "More jazz?" I thought, but seeing as I wasn't dissapointed after your last choice, I gave this one a try. Another catchy tune that I enjoyed.

Strawberryfire - Another song I absolutely loved. These guys have an excellent song to them. My roommate kept thinking this was the Beatles. These guys sound great, and the song is rockin.

Fire - C'mon! It's Hendrix! How could I not like this?

Witchy Woman - See above. The Eagles are great. I was psyched to see this on the CD too. Absolutely love this song.

Take the A Train - Another catchy tune. I definitely have an appreciatation for jazz now, cpausti.

Kielbasa - Cpausti's the man who got me started on Tenacious D. Jack Black makes his stuff work.

Mood For a Day - Great way to finish of the album. I really liked this tune. I've heard a lot of Yes in my day (my mom being a big fan) but haven't heard this.

I really liked the variation of music on your CD, cpaw. A lot of great oldies and new songs I didn't know. And I'm serious about you turning me onto Catch22. Overall, I had a great time with your CD.

Now for Jes's Mix

Jes, you listed 24 tracks but the CD only contained 23 and It took me a while to figure out which ones were which, so let me do my best.

First two tracks - Hearing the "Gentleman. Welcome to Fight Club" immediately got me pumped up. Not to mention the streetfighter tune was extremely bad ass. This was an aesome touch.

Watch Song - Hoo boy, hardrockin right off the bat. This is a serious fightin track, Jes. I'm lovin it.

Duel of the Fates - STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS!!! Loved the movie. This track was very fitting for the CD.

Fury of the Storm - Very excellent guitar, holy shit. I wanted to beat the living hell out of my roommate because it was making me rowdy. I'm lucky I didn't, he could take me easily.

Blue on Blue - Str8 gangsta. This is my type of music. Hell yeah!

Fight the Power - Public Enemy. One of the original old skool rap groups. This song gets better every time I hear it.

Aphrodite - Didn't really like this track, nor did I dislike it. I was unsure what to think... Wasn't very fitting in my opinion, but I liked the beat.

I Predict a Riot - HOLY SHIT! Another amazing track! I really liked the sound and hook on this song. Great stuff!

Fight Test - Ah, a bit of winding down here. This song sounded pretty good as a change of pace. Great vocals too.

Love Really Changed Me - I was unsure of this one at first too, but I liked it in the end. Very interesting blend of instruments in this one.

Apply Some Pressure - Ah! Now we're back on track! I like this type of rock and I really liked this song too. One of my favorites on the CD.

Orbital - very odd techno sounding song that I can say I liked. I enjoyed the intro to it.

Joy Division Oven Gloves - Weird song name, weird band name, very funkay song.

Three Little Words - What the funk? This is definitely old schoo-- well, maybe just old. I thought I should be playing this out of a phonograph.

Blacklist - Nice hip-hop song. Never heard of these guys before but nonetheless enjoyed it.

Self Suicide - Is this a Irish guy trying to pull off Snooop Dogg or something? Sweet jesus, besides being absurd, I fucking LOVED this song!!! It's hilarious and awesome too. I can't wait to blare this out of my car!!!!!!

Focus - Crazy little beat, felt fitting as a little "wrap up" near the end of the disc.

Money Runner - Mister Quincy Jones. Very awesome track. I'm running out of things to say O_o

[Untitled Track] - A nice piano (i think?) track to finish things off. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Jes... awesome fightin tracks to start out with, and a nice way to mellow it out at the end. Very nice, but I guess that's what is to be expected with a CD swap vet. I'm glad I got your CD, you have good taste. And to think that I once thought that the people in Northern Ireland had no taste in music! Bah!!

Oh, and thanks to the both of you, again. My first CD swap was excellent!

9-27-05 4:03pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Using Fight Test again, jes? You must really dig that tune. I'm assuming it's the Flaming Lips song.

Anyway, Chi, the melody may be familiar because of the chord progression. It's not an uncommon choice. However, as mentioned in another thread somewhere that I can't find, "Fight Test" sounds somewhat similar to "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens (now Yusef Islam). Stevens/Islam won a judgement against The Lips for copyright infringement, and they had to give over some money.

"Father and Son" is pretty good in its own right and worth DLing. FWIW, The Lips claim they had never really heard Stevens' song but admit that theirs makes a pretty good sequel. I'm surprised someone hasn't paired the songs on a swap, yet. I'll probably do it if I can find another similar song. Brad mentioned that Crazy Horse had recorded one. I think it was titled "Mr. Chips" or something like that.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

9-29-05 9:09pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Yeah, I decided to recycle a lot of songs for this swap, seeing as half way through making the last one I realised I could half-theme a CD.

"Find a girl, settle down, if you want, you can marry,
For to lose I could accept, but to surrender I just wept..."

Etcetera.

---

9-30-05 6:32am (new)

cpausti
The Nordic Soulman

Member Rated:

I now have both CDs, Jes, yours came in yesterday. Listening to it now. Reviews to be up sometime this week.

---

10-02-05 6:41pm (new)

cpausti
The Nordic Soulman

Member Rated:

Ahhh. Review time. Sorry this is so late, this week has been intense, we're moving tomorrow and I had 7 tests. Stupid school.

BigFrank105's ULTRA MEGAMIX 2600 The Marquette Golden Eagle Edition

Nice cover, like the penguin.

1. Tenacious D - Fuck Her Gently; I fucking love this song... gently. Jack Black can sing better than most give him credit for.

2. Faith No More - Midlife Crisis; Never heard of the band.. but I've heard the song before. They sound kind of like Linkin Park without the whining. Not bad.

3. Ozzy Osbourne - Hellraiser; good ol' metal. That's all I can really say, besides I like this song.

4. Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing; Definitely happy poppy yay rock, I've never heard Jane's Addiction before, but I've heard of them.

5. Kool Moe Dee - Are You Wit It?; I was seat-grooving to this one. Not enough to get me out of the seat, but, yeah, I'm wit it.

6. The Black Mages - J-E-N-O-V-A; HOLY SHIT FFVII Awesomeness. Awesome ass band name, too.

7. Outlandish - Aicha; is this that song that the kid recorded the video to on ebaum's? Hilarious.

8. Fountains of Wayne - Maureen; Is Maureen Stacy's mom? Nice use of one-hit wonder's not hit song.

9. Lucky Boys Confusion - Atari; This is BigFrank in a song, if I may assume you like to drink beer and play video games.

10. Tommy James & the Shondells - Crimson and Clover; I love this song. Tommy James has a really high voice, though.

11. Kanye West - Home; the only modern rapper that I enjoy. Good song, hip-hoppin'.

12. The Strong Bad Techno; Me and a few buddies back in middle school used to imitate this, and take it to the next level. Awesome.

13. Tupac, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks - Loyal to the Game; I used this song in a Romeo and Juliet remake I did for english class. How they ressurected Tupac, I don't know.

14. Chiaroscuro - Broken Everything; Sounds like a song used in a Need for Speed game or something, not bad, but not something of my general likings.

15. Blindside - Sleepwalking; I must agree with Jes on this one, not usually what I listen to, but definitely rockin'.

16. Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night; When I saw this on the tracklist, laughter filled my apartment. So so so so 80s. Loved it.

17. Dropkick Murphys - 21 Guitar Song; of these guys and Flogging Molly, I pick these guys (although I've met the lead of Flogging Molly). I love 'em. Especially this song. But I think its name is "21 Guitar Salute."

18. Less Than Jake - Escape from the A-Bomb House; Good old Less than Jake. I saw them once at my first Warped Tour, I think.

19. Metallica - The Unforgiven; I have to say that although Metallica is the most over-rated band ever, this is one of their best.

Great CD, brandonlozzle BigFrank.

Jes_Lawson's Fightin' Tracks

I too love this cover.

Intro; Holy shit! Fight Club clip and then Street Fighter... I kicked my mom in the face.

Shellac - Watch Song; PERFECT right after "round one... FIGHT!"

Maulfear/Duel of the Fates; Complete awesomeness, good quote despite the movie it be from. The perfect space opera light-saber song to follow, kick-ass.

Dragonforce - Fury of the Storm; this song is pure intense Asian fighting theme. Me and a bunch of buddies are shooting a video to it soon enough (none of us are Asian). Soooo good.

"What now, lemme tell you what now.....Medieval on yo ass."

Dave Clarke - Blue on Blue; Great to follow Ving Rhames' badassness. I beat a few honkeys to this.

Public Enemy - Fight the Power; Classic rap, love it.

Aphrodite - Fugees Cover/Remix; wasn't so fighty, wasn't so great of a remix. The Fugees are awesome though.

The Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot; the name says it all. I recommend Kaiser's Orchestra to go along with your Kaiser kaiser kaiser.

The Flaming Lips - Fight Test; I <3 the Flaming Lips, so this was a great contribution.

"Detroit" didn't seem to be on here.

Spooky Tooth - Love Really Changed Me; calming down, nice track. Not much to say about it.

Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure; Started out kind of pop-rockish, but proved me wrong near the end.

Orbital - Dr. Who Theme mix; weird ass beeping thing at the beginning, evolved into an awesome song.

Half Man Half Biscuit- Joy Division Oven Gloves; thank you for putting this song on here. I really liked this one and recently got "Back in the DHSS."

Django Reinhardt - Three Little Words; Old jazziness that I have come to love.

Prefuse 73 - Blacklist; kinda r&b-rap style, not the top of the awesome list, made me feel like I was walking around in LA with a gun.

Goldie Lookin' Chain - Self Suicide; hahahaha so funny. I can something Jimi Hendrix! love the background clarinet. (or whatever)

Hard Vanilla Edit - Focus; I had to convince myself this wasn't CCR until the woopy guitar entered.

Quincy Jones - Money Runner; moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney doo doo doo dooow. Sweet bass line, fo sho.

Untitled Track - Kind of trippy synthesizing and harmonizing. Nice way to fade out.

Awesome CDs both of you. I have to give Choad credit for pairing a veteran with two CD swap noobs. It turned out awesome. Look forward to next year's.

---

10-07-05 2:43pm (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

I double checked their "Singles Vol. 2" CD where its on, and it's sure enough called 21 Guitar Song... I found it a bit odd too.

And yes, that nerd does sing "Aicha" on ebaumsworld. Although he sings it to the European version with piano as the bg music. Outlandish did their own bg music and added a bit more "umph" to it.

10-07-05 10:12pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Thanks for the reviews, especially sideswappers. I think in retrospect I'd have dropped Spooky Tooth (a track I heard on holiday on a classic rock radio station which I liked at the time) and the Aphrodite mix of Fugees (a classic, but I seem to be the only d'n'b head on SC at the moment) but I'm glad everyone liked everything else.

P.S. the bonus "Untitled Track" is called Zoetrope and it's by the Boards of Canada. Also I seriously recommend anything else by Welsh comedy-rap group, the Goldie Lookin' Chain, it's all hilarious shit. cp - the line is "I'm gonna do a Jimi Hendrix! I'm gonna be sick in my sleep!"

---

10-09-05 8:08pm (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

jes, as of now i've got about 10 songs by GLC downloaded on my computer. These guys are one of my new favorite bands.

10-12-05 9:15pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #7: Group Three--Jes Cpausti BigFrank

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests