Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #8, Group Three--Umfum TheGov Choad

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I'm all up in this side swap. Make room, gents!

I think I still have your addy unless it's changed. pm me if you need mine.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

7-25-06 10:06pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

appologies guys, I didnt get them finished in time this week. Ive got the cd's printed, and the track notes sorted, but Im off work for a week on holiday, so will have to sort them out when I get back.

I'll also throw a teaser up here once they are in the post. ;)

And Ive also got choads to review. Ive listened through it once on my Ipod, but I think I should give it a few more runs before I comment on it. There are some tracks on there I adore, or should I say J'adore!

7-29-06 4:56am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Choad's CD is perfect listening for a sunny summer day.

7-30-06 6:02am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Due to computer (mis)management issues, things are progressing slowly. However, they are progressing!

I should be mailing packages by early next week.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

8-14-06 8:56pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

A Glaswegian sunny summer day is what we San Diegans call "winter."

8-14-06 9:35pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Will be posting Monday. Woo!

8-19-06 4:24am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

As my discs should be posted tomorrow, I'll go ahead with the three-word descriptions:

01. Not Less Cheeba
02. More Tupelo Honey
03. Know Your Rights
04. The Astro Man
05. Hendrix Love Child?
06. My Evening Tie
07. Treasure This Nutt
08. Crazy Schizophrenic Bastard
09. My Sugar Walls
10. Furry National Anthem?
11. Judy In Disguise
12. Hatfields' Sworn Enemies
13. Gathering No Moss
14. Off-Center Square Guy
15. Swap Seven Out-Take
16. Bringin' Tha Illinoize!
17. A Good Minus
18. Friend Of Linus
19. Rape Me, Dick
20. Hot Buttered Popcorn
21. Not Petula Clark
22. Not Patsy Cline
23. A Foodian Slip
24. Hill Billie Holiday

---

8-22-06 7:34pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Surrender to Choad

Belleville Rendez-Vous -- Perfect kickoff for this compilation and an incredible song in its own right. Is there anyone involved in these swaps who doesn't own this soundtrack? If so, Jetez la vache!

Melodia Tradicional Ecuadoriana -- Amazing that Mr. Richman shows up on this disc. Gotta get me some of that guy's stuff.

Cite Tango -- Sounds like I'm sipping espresso at an intimate cafe...an evil, intimate cafe.

Monsieur Dimitri -- Too short the stylophone.

Ondule -- Disturbingly pleasant.

Bossa Per Due -- Would make great background music for some dance club scene in a movie (or a really slow, involved chase scene:).

Mal o Mains -- Who is this -- the French Elvis? The song gave me a severe case of Jazz Hands.

Muggles Mambo -- Now I can differentiate a Bossa from a Mambo!

The Beat Goes On -- Hot shit, now that's a beat!

Yekermo Sew -- An intricate quilting of sounds. Spellbinding.

Querermos Paz -- Nice sound, but a bit long.

Miserlou -- Trades the energy of the original for drama. Nice.

Menina Moca -- Ah, Mr. Getz, I was wondering when you'd arrive.

Juste Quelqu'un de Bien -- Not as impressive as the songs around it.

Lo Boob Oscillator -- How could I not like a song with "Boob" in the title?

[hr]

Loads of great stuff, as usual. My two favorites are Yekermo Sew and Lo Boob Oscillator, but that sort of thing is right up my alley. I'm sure choad knew that. And I repeat, I surrender!

---

8-22-06 8:16pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Posted mine on monday, so You'll have them in a few days, will give you a teaser track listing for one of them.

[b]
Misirlou
Son of a Preacher Man
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Girl You'll be a Woman Soon
Lets Stay Together
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot me down)
Stuck in the Middle with you
You Never Can Tell
Strawberry Letter 23
A Satisfied Mind
Magic Carpet Ride
Hooked on a feeling
Malaguena Salerosa
Coconut
[/b]

8-23-06 4:02am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Surrender to the Choad

1. Belleville Rendez Vous – Fantastic Song, I have to confess Ive yet to see the film, but its moved up my todo list.
2. Meldia Tradicional Ecudoriana – Beautiful, Im with umfum on Richman,I gotta get me some of this. If I ever progress past basic chords on my acoustic, this is the Exact sound I want to aspire towards..
3. Cite Tango – Love the sense of urgency this song evokes I prepared a pizza to this song, certainly spiced up the process, Chopping vegetables has never been so sinister!
4. Monsieur Dimitri Joue du Stylophone - I can see this being played in the lifts of huge corporations who have their main offices on the 200th floor of the building.
5. Ondule – I like this, I don’t know why, but its my favourite on this compilation, very relaxed tune.
6. Bossa Per Due - Following from Umfums comment, If I were to use this in a film I think it would be the background to an intricate museum heist, involving bypassing the alarms, use of mirrors to get around the laser systems, and probably some sort of pully set-up.
7. Mal o Mains - Ace, J’adore 30s style jazz.
8. Muggles Mambo[/b] – Great tune, the Guv knows how to salsa!
9. The Beat goes on – I thought this was very interesting, nice mix of styles
10. Yekermo Sew – Reminds me of 60s Spy shows for some reason. Not necessarily a bad thing. Great pick.
11. Queremos Paz – Quite a cool track. Very laid back, but intense at the same time.
12. Miserlou – Very intriguing, a great version of this greek classic. I am especially interested for reasons which will be apparent when you receive my cds.
13. Menina Moca – Love this
14. Juste Quelqu’un de bien – Ive no idea what shes saying, but she can say it to me all day. I liked this.
15. Lo Boob Oscillator – Wonderful! C’est Manifique!

This is a fantastic compilation, Favourites include Belleville Rendez Vous, which opens perfectly, Ondule, which is just too cool, and Lo Boob Oscillator, which rounded up a great cd. Surrender to the Choad is a great selection of tunes that are both edgy and layed back at the same time. The Guv approves.

---

Sounds very interesting. I can't wait.

8-23-06 6:18am (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

If anyone is interested in a side swap, let me know.

8-23-06 8:51am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:
Posted mine on monday, so You'll have them in a few days, will give you a teaser track listing for one of them.

[b]
Misirlou
Son of a Preacher Man
Lets Stay Together
You Never Can Tell
Strawberry Letter 23
A Satisfied Mind
Magic Carpet Ride
Hooked on a feeling
Malaguena Salerosa
Coconut
[/b]

Who are you? Quentin Tarantino?

---

8-23-06 8:33pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Oh, I needed to bump up my post count.

No.

I mean, I did post the discs to day. You guys should get them within a week (or less).

---

8-23-06 8:34pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Just received 2 CDs from Umfum and 2 from the Governor at the very same time. And I NEVER get mail! I'll get my ass to work and make some stuff too!

Gov, can you send me your address again? I'm worried I'm not going to get it right from the envelope.

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

8-26-06 9:28am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:
quote:

[b]
Misirlou
Son of a Preacher Man
Lets Stay Together
You Never Can Tell
Strawberry Letter 23
A Satisfied Mind
Magic Carpet Ride
Hooked on a feeling
Malaguena Salerosa
Coconut
[/b]

Who are you? Quentin Tarantino?

Ah, you're the Alternatino!!

Brilliant.

Haven't yet had a chance to listen, but I will.

Seems like I always receive Gov's discs on Saturdays.

---

8-28-06 10:04pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

"Alternatino" is a good listen. Some versions work better than others.

"Silly Title" has some great stuff.

Can't say much more until next week.

---

9-05-06 11:22pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I got both Umfum's and Gov's discs and both have some great tunes on them...I'll reciprocate on the reviews sometime...soon.

I will say this one thing, though--umfum had a song on one of his discs that had me laughing so hard, I had to skip to the next track to keep from crashing on my commute.

9-06-06 6:45pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

I hope to finish my mix this weekend and then I'll be commenting on the disks. They've been the soundtarck to my life this week, that's for sure. Very enjoyable.

---

9-07-06 10:36am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Picked up your CDs today Umfum. Going to give them a listen now.

9-10-06 8:54am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Hmmm...there are a few possiblities, but I'll bet it's the one I'm thinking of. Of course, you said "song," so I'm not sure. I'll wait for the reviews (nudge, nudge).

---

9-14-06 9:06am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

You have to go pick them up?

Anyway, sorry for the delay in posting about yours. I still want to give them another listen or two. I've been unable to do so because we've been out of town.

---

9-14-06 9:08am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Recieved your disks Ivy, giving them a spin now, cheers.

I will be offering some insights on Umfum's quite soon, as for "picking them up", I did exactly that. I could concuct some elaborate and entertaining story as to why this was the case involving spies, ninja's, the odd red robot or two, possibly a pirate, and maybe to a lesser extent gratutitous sex, but Im not going to.

9-27-06 11:19am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:
Recieved your disks Ivy, giving them a spin now, cheers.

I will be offering some insights on Umfum's quite soon, as for "picking them up", I did exactly that. I could concuct some elaborate and entertaining story as to why this was the case involving spies, ninja's, the odd red robot or two, possibly a pirate, and maybe to a lesser extent gratutitous sex, but Im not going to.

Your audience demands, nay begs, for gratuitous spy-ninja-robot-pirate sex. And throw in some zombies while you're at it!

[hr]

Sorry I've been such a slothful slug with reviews, Guv, but I have had no time in which to properly digest your discs. This weekend isn't going to work either. :( I'm shooting for next week.

---

10-05-06 7:10am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

So I've had my mixes done for a couple of weeks now but my printer is shit and I wanted to make up cool covers like you guys did, but sadly I think mine is going to be bump ass. Hope you can forgive me. I think the music is good on the upside. I tried to be smart and creative with the packaging but my computer nonsavy continues to haunt me. I should be sending them out on Saturday.

---

10-05-06 8:52am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

TheGov -- ALTERNATINO:

01. BEACH BOYS - Their "Miserlou" is not as dynamic as the Dick Dale version. Plus, I'm now comparing it to choad's "alternate" take from Surrender. Not fair.

02. NANCY SINATRA - Big band bombast. Wow. Q's choice of Dusty re-kindled my then-forgotten love of this song, so, for me, any comparison is unfair. But it's a damn good song either way.

03. THE ANIMALS - Haven't seen Kill Bill, so that fact skews my view of this track. However, this bluesy Burdon version is quite good. And if he wasn't with them at the time, then consider it "unBurdoned." I slay me.

04. NEIL DIAMOND - I have the UO version on cassette (the same one with "sister Havana" and "Erica Kane," I believe -- good stuff), so I'm partial to it. I do like the pathos of the Diamond original, though. Very, very nice.

05. TINA TURNER - Afore I heard the vocals, I thought this was 'Retha. Very 80s. Al's was 70s, but, yeah, timeless.

06. NANCY again - Fantastic! I bet this song is used to great effect in the movie. I like Nancy's vocal here better than in the first song. Now I want to hear the Cher version to see if it has that Gypsy flair.

07. DA VINCI - I can't hear this song without dancing around and cutting off imaginary ears. Da Vinci version makes me smile, too -- especially da bridge.

08. JOHN PRINE - Seems like ol' John is doing is best at channeling Chuck, but he doesn't quite capture the "French" feel of Berry's. Good straight-up Rock N Roll, though.

09. SHUGGIE OTIS - Oh shit, I shot Shuggie! Great losin'-my-girl-and-can't-do-a-damn-thing-about-it song. Haven't seen Jackie Brown, either. Damn, I suck.

10. PORTER WAGONER - Porter discovered Dolly Parton and helped make her famous, but she probably made him more famous than he had any right to be. By most accounts, though, he is a good guy. I haven't heard the Cash version, but I imagine I'd enjoy it more. Still, Porter does this song great justice and makes it sound like a true Country song.

11. STEPPENWOLF - Heh, how does one "totally forget" about "Magic Carpet Ride?" I guess it's okay since you're about -10 years than me. Plus, they used to be my Mom's favorite group.

12. BJ THOMAS - Sitars keep fallin' on my head.... Not bad, but Blue Suede's much better.

13. MIGUEL MEJIA - I don't speak much Latin, but I like the music. ;) This one's romantic and dramatic in all the right places.

14. SPRUNG MONKEY - Is this the one Coke used for their "Lime in the Coke" ads. Ugh, disgusting stuff -- the soda, that is. Also, I'm quite upset that we could have had a Muppet version instead.

Bonus Tracks...

15. NINA SIMONE - I've always assumed Nina Simone was a woman. If she is, then damn. I wouldn't have guessed who sang this in a million years if not for the liners.

16. TOM JONES BARENAKED - If someone had told me, back in my headbanger days, that I'd be digging on Tom Jones in 15 years, I'd have told them to go fellate themselves.

17. PACO DE LUCIA - As much as I enjoyed Mejia's take, this one's even better. Excellent instrumental. Thanks for the inclusion.

[hr]

Alternatino was an excellent idea and you executed it most, uh, excellently, your excellency. The Beach Boys song was the only one that was disappointing. All the others were interesting, lively or both. And the overall packaging and notes are once again incredible. Thank you so much!

---

10-05-06 7:53pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #8, Group Three--Umfum TheGov Choad

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help