Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #8, Group Three--Umfum TheGov Choad

Author

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

When my printer died a few swaps back I went for good old fashioned pen and paper orginal art work doodling, which actually went down a treat, so I wouldnt worry about the covers.
-----
[sort of quote from memory of umfums post]
Beach Boys Miserlou sucked
[/sort of quote from memory of umfums post]
-----
I actually agree, although I liked it in a 60's surfs up kind of way, it was very bland, and especially after hearing the cover on choads, which kicked ass. If Id had more time I may have been tempted to do a self styled cover of it using a comb and a piece of paper. next time gadget, next time!

I'll post some thoughts about yours soon umfum, just had a lot on at the mo.

10-06-06 7:28am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I hereby promise to review both Gov's and Umfum's discs by Sunday night. I had planned on doing it loooong ago, but, you know. Then I brought the discs in from my car and went out of town for a week.

10-06-06 9:40am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

RE: Beach Boys

Way to read between the lines, Gov. ;)

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-10-06 7:30pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

TheGovernor's ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE INSANE ROBOTIC ELEPHANT OVERLORDS:

The title alone makes me want to listen to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Anyway...

01. ARCADE FIRE - "I really like this song," too. Now.

02. DUNGEN - Where the hell did you find this? Very cool piano, and I love how it sort of merges into...

03. WILLIAM D. DRAKE - ...where it didn't take long at all for the beauty to sink in.

04. FIERY FURNACES - I like every song of theirs I've heard so far on these collective swaps. Quite a group, er, duo...whatever. Excellent.

05. ROBERT PLANT - I believe even a deaf man could tell a Robert Plant song from any other song.

06. KATE BUSH - I want to call this one hauntingly beautiful, but that's such a cliche. How about numerically winsome?

07. BLACK KEYS - I've heard some buzz on this band since I received your disc, and the local college station plays them fairly often. This one sounds like Bad Company...without the suckage.

08. LEONARD COHEN - I see why a certain segment of the population adores this guy. This song seems like the type you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy, yet I liked it right off. The lyrics are very poignant without being melodramatic.

09. GUIDO SOL - Starts out a bit goofy, but becomes better when the music kicks in. Believe I like the song from your previous disc better.

10. STRANGLERS - Classic.

11. WHO - Classicer.

12. BRIGHT EYES - Have heard some about this group as well, but they sounded a bit too derivative of...somebody. Maybe I'm just in the wrong mood for it.

13. KING CREOSOTE - Struck me as similar to the group above yet there's a quality that sets this song apart from that one. Nice.

14. Blind LEMON JELLY Fish - Simple yet effective.

15. CARDIACS - Arresting.

16. YES - Yes, I've been tempted in the make-a-disc-of-all-long-songs department, as well. Bear in mind that the tracks should really, really have something to offer over their eintire course. Like this one.

17. GORKY - Relaxing round-off to an excellent collection of tunes.

[hr]

It's interesting how you come to expect certain sounds and groups after you've swapped with someone numerous times. So, there are surprises and non-surprises, but the beauty of the CD swap lies in really listening to how a disc is arranged. Sometimes as the listener you make connections between songs that the compiler didn't necessarily intend. Other times, you totally miss things. Overall, though, it's the transmission of sounds and even the ideas of certain sounds that fascinates about this process.

So, it comes as a non-surprise that TheGov has delighted me yet again. Same goes for choady. And surely mmyers will prove up to the task. Thanks, gents!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-10-06 8:24pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

I finally got off my duff and sent them out this morning. Expect them soon.

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

10-11-06 8:31am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

One is my regular swap, entitled "Mmyers' bump ass Cd swap" and the other is a bonus CD filled with my aborted attempt at making a collection of songs about Summer, then it became songs about seasons, then when it became too diffuclt to find Fall and Winter songs (besides that damn Tori Amos song), I aborted it. But everyone needs to jam to Mungo Jerry at least once in awhile.

---

10-12-06 8:53am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I try to avoid the Mungo, Jerry.

Seriously, though, I have a cassette around here somewhere. Side A is Summer. Side B is Winter. And, yes, it takes me nine months to listen to the whole thing -- ha-yuck, ha-yuck, ha-yuck!

Two "winter" songs I know are on there: Jimmy Page's "Writes of Winter" and Metallica's "Trapped Under Ice." A lot of the songs have a winter feel (to me) more than being strictly "about" winter. And, no, I didn't include Edgar Winter...or Jonathan Winters...or even Shelley Winters. Damn it.

[hr]

I know I'm looking forward to receiving a "Bump Ass" CD. I can only imagine the level of choad's excitement. ;)

---

10-12-06 9:26pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Did you get it yet? Huh, huh, huh?

---

10-18-06 10:01am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Got it two days ago and have listened to some of the bump-ass disc. Should have known your "ghetto" comment was tongue in cheeks. :)

---

10-18-06 7:34pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Um, ghetto in the way that it's not evry well put together.
Here's my comments.

1. The Supervillains “Intro”- If you didn’t know, I’m a nerd, so I love the Supervillains. Not a lot to their schtick, but it’s fun and nostalgic.
2. The Blackheart Procession “It’s a crime I never told you about the diamonds in your eyes”- Great band if you want moody music. This is an more up-tempo number from this group, part of their concept album “Amore del Tropico”. Concept albums are a lost art.
3. The Decemberists “A Cautionary Tale”- One of the best songs about your mom having sex with strangers.
4. Acid Radio- Kids in the Hall alum Bruce McCullough is very amusing to me. “Somethin’ happened to me…”
5. Grandaddy “Hewllet’s Daughter”- I like the wistful tone and the echoey loneliness of this song. It tells a very specific story that I’m not sure I understand.
6. They might be Giants “We’ve got a world that swings”- A sweet cover that I used to sing to my wife when she woke up.
7. The Lemonheads “Paint”- Probably one of my favorite Lemonheads songs for awhile there. It hasn’t aged as well as I thought it might have but it’s still a great image and a testament to how good Dando was before he cracked his brain out.
8. The Supervillains “Eternia’s greatest”- I know little to nothing about these guys except that my friend Scott hipped me to them. I figured, since I used their swank intro, I’d include a song as well.
9. The Breeders “Lord of the thighs”- It ain’t Aerosmith but it’ll do in a pinch. Love the drums to this.
10. Teenage Fanclub “Like a virgin”- Can you tell that I was going through my singles and EPs? I thought this was also a good attempt on my part to find common ground to the Gov’s mix (Teenage Fanclub- Like a virgin-Reservoir Dogs-Tarrantino: 4 degrees of separation).
11. Ryan Adams “Backstreet Boys cover (live)”- Not much of a version of the song, but it brings up several great points. It’s a conversation piece.
12. Pulp “Help the aged”- My favorite song about having sex with old people.
13. Jellyfish “My best friend”- My favorite song about pulling your pud. I think I may have put this on a previous mix for umfum, so if so, sorry.
14. Pavement “Harness your hopes”- My veritable clearing house continues with this Pavement CD single gem. This was near the end of Pavement. Man, I miss that band.
15. Frank Black-Teenage Fanclub “Handyman”- The late John Peel put together this little session and some great music came from it. This is a Del Shannon cover that they put some stank on.
16. More Acid Radio (Baby Jesus)- This spawned my nickname (mabbybaby) over 10 years ago as my drunk friend tried to act out the skit using my name and messed it up. Back home, I’m still known as the Mabbybaby. Drunk people.
17. The Black Keys “Act nice and gentle to me”- A Kink’s cover. I’m still trying to bridge gaps between all of our mixes.
18. Tribe Called Quest “Luck of Lucien”- I’ve been really into old Tribe Called Quest lately. This song is exactly what I loved about hip-hop back in the day.
19. Homestar Runner “Secret Song”- Hey, they’re local. I have to support them.

---

10-19-06 1:30pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

appols for my lack of commentary, erm I'll try and come up with a good excuse, essentially I was offered a one way ticket to mongolia (outer) to help search for the sacred (well to the peoples of the tribe of umbubu) necklace of mzapan, stolen in the early years of mr Khan's (not The 'wrath of' but the other one) reign. For a tidy prize I was to retrieve said item and return it to the mazaputi conglomorate in Hong Kong, where it would be returned to Oren Ketsikamu, the rightful heir to the ancient kingdom of mzapan.
Well it turned out my accountant had no way of calculating the VAT on such a possession, and as such I had no way to properly bill them for my time and services so essentially the Inland Revenue have been on my backs ever since, Thats not to mention the Innuit Pirates who want their Lesbian princess back (who happens to be a bisexual nymphomaniac, just don't tell them that) and whom they've been keeping for a marriage with a prince Zicawiif of the zumbooboo tribe of North Alaska in order to make their claim on the zumbooboo lands complete (thus giving them access to oil fields they can sell to shell), however she was not taken by the proposal and wished to be clear of the entire business, hence I found her a small token job in Majorca (spain) selling Postcards and bric-a-brac to tourists, so sadly I've yet to have time to properly review both Ivy's masterpieces, nor the works provided by Umfum the great (although all of which have been listened to with great admiration on my pod of many I's). I do promise that on my next adventure I will insist on having a chance to fully comment on the CDs, but at the moment I am currently hurrying off a forum post before embarking on a quest to find the lost Amazonian tribe of T'Zupamen, who apparantly know the secret to chocolate milkshakes, but whom are apparantly stuck in a protracted war with youtube/google over the rights to show celebrity brazilian mud wrestling on the internet, although to be honest I think its a open and shut case.

10-21-06 7:16pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:
appols for my lack of commentary, erm I'll try and come up with a good excuse, essentially I was offered a one way ticket to mongolia (outer) to help search for the sacred (well to the peoples of the tribe of umbubu) necklace of mzapan, stolen in the early years of mr Khan's (not The 'wrath of' but the other one) reign. For a tidy prize I was to retrieve said item and return it to the mazaputi conglomorate in Hong Kong, where it would be returned to Oren Ketsikamu, the rightful heir to the ancient kingdom of mzapan.
Well it turned out my accountant had no way of calculating the VAT on such a possession, and as such I had no way to properly bill them for my time and services so essentially the Inland Revenue have been on my backs ever since, Thats not to mention the Innuit Pirates who want their Lesbian princess back (who happens to be a bisexual nymphomaniac, just don't tell them that) and whom they've been keeping for a marriage with a prince Zicawiif of the zumbooboo tribe of North Alaska in order to make their claim on the zumbooboo lands complete (thus giving them access to oil fields they can sell to shell), however she was not taken by the proposal and wished to be clear of the entire business, hence I found her a small token job in Majorca (spain) selling Postcards and bric-a-brac to tourists, so sadly I've yet to have time to properly review both Ivy's masterpieces, nor the works provided by Umfum the great (although all of which have been listened to with great admiration on my pod of many I's). I do promise that on my next adventure I will insist on having a chance to fully comment on the CDs, but at the moment I am currently hurrying off a forum post before embarking on a quest to find the lost Amazonian tribe of T'Zupamen, who apparantly know the secret to chocolate milkshakes, but whom are apparantly stuck in a protracted war with youtube/google over the rights to show celebrity brazilian mud wrestling on the internet, although to be honest I think its a open and shut case.

Fine. I'll call off Inland Revenue and pay off the Inuit Pirates once you hand over said reviews. Luckily, the IP are quite snowblind and should fall for the ol' pig-dressed-as-a-princess ruse. With the given that our pig don't squeal...

---

10-24-06 11:52am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

quote:
Um, ghetto in the way that it's not evry well put together. Of course, you speak merely of aesthetics, but I quite enjoy the cover shot.
Here's my comments. And here are my comments...

1. The Supervillains “Intro”- If you didn’t know, I’m a nerd, so I love the Supervillains. Not a lot to their schtick, but it’s fun and nostalgic. Nostaligic, yeah, I'll come back to that
2. The Blackheart Procession “It’s a crime I never told you about the diamonds in your eyes”- Great band if you want moody music. This is an more up-tempo number from this group, part of their concept album “Amore del Tropico”. Concept albums are a lost art. Great title, good song.
3. The Decemberists “A Cautionary Tale”- One of the best songs about your mom having sex with strangers. And possibly the only one! Oh, you didn't mean my mom. You'd better not, you son of a bitch!!
4. Acid Radio- Kids in the Hall alum Bruce McCullough is very amusing to me. “Somethin’ happened to me…” I miss KITH...especially Bruce's crazy skits. Thank you.
5. Grandaddy “Hewllet’s Daughter”- I like the wistful tone and the echoey loneliness of this song. It tells a very specific story that I’m not sure I understand. The vocals seemed a bit low in the mix, so I didn't get them all myself. Obviously, this calls for further review (with headphones).
6. They might be Giants “We’ve got a world that swings”- A sweet cover that I used to sing to my wife when she woke up. It IS very sweet. I imagine it would be quite nice waking up to that song.
7. The Lemonheads “Paint”- Probably one of my favorite Lemonheads songs for awhile there. It hasn’t aged as well as I thought it might have but it’s still a great image and a testament to how good Dando was before he cracked his brain out. I don't know about the "aged" part. I mean, you can tell it's an older song, but that's what I like about it. --says the older guy.
8. The Supervillains “Eternia’s greatest”- I know little to nothing about these guys except that my friend Scott hipped me to them. I figured, since I used their swank intro, I’d include a song as well. This one reminded me of Thomas Dolby for some reason. <--Nostalgia.
9. The Breeders “Lord of the thighs”- It ain’t Aerosmith but it’ll do in a pinch. Love the drums to this. Yeah, nice job. The original starts out like it's going to be some sort of epic, sci-fi journey, but it only goes as far as the thighs.
10. Teenage Fanclub “Like a virgin”- Can you tell that I was going through my singles and EPs? I thought this was also a good attempt on my part to find common ground to the Gov’s mix (Teenage Fanclub- Like a virgin-Reservoir Dogs-Tarrantino: 4 degrees of separation). How many "fucks" is that?
11. Ryan Adams “Backstreet Boys cover (live)”- Not much of a version of the song, but it brings up several great points. It’s a conversation piece. True. That's one nice guy in the back there yelling, "You suck!" Reminds me of Thelonious Monk's Live at The IT Club re-issue where you can clearly hear a telephone ringing in the background.
12. Pulp “Help the aged”- My favorite song about having sex with old people. Leave my Moms out of this!
13. Jellyfish “My best friend”- My favorite song about pulling your pud. I think I may have put this on a previous mix for umfum, so if so, sorry. S'okay. Sounds a bit different than the one I'm thinking of on your cassette swap. Maybe not.
14. Pavement “Harness your hopes”- My veritable clearing house continues with this Pavement CD single gem. This was near the end of Pavement. Man, I miss that band. Never really got into Pavement, but I need to give this one a closer listen.
15. Frank Black-Teenage Fanclub “Handyman”- The late John Peel put together this little session and some great music came from it. This is a Del Shannon cover that they put some stank on. I'm so lame. I never had all these "single and B-side" things I'll blame it on the backwards town in which I spent the majority of my formative years. Grrr.
16. More Acid Radio (Baby Jesus)- This spawned my nickname (mabbybaby) over 10 years ago as my drunk friend tried to act out the skit using my name and messed it up. Back home, I’m still known as the Mabbybaby. Drunk people. We've got a world that drinks.... I saw Talladega Nights not too long ago, and Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell) has a great bit in there about how he prefers baby Jesus over the other, later Jesuses.
17. The Black Keys “Act nice and gentle to me”- A Kink’s cover. I’m still trying to bridge gaps between all of our mixes. Sometimes sounding retro is a good thing as long as you're doing your own thing.
18. Tribe Called Quest “Luck of Lucien”- I’ve been really into old Tribe Called Quest lately. This song is exactly what I loved about hip-hop back in the day. I'm right there with ya, mabbybaby. You don't know how close I've come to putting this exact song on a couple of swaps. Hearing it on here only confirms how groovy I thought it was.
19. Homestar Runner “Secret Song”- Hey, they’re local. I have to support them. Good for you. And funny, too!

Excellent mix of musics and mayhem here. Wouldn't expect anything less. It's funny how all these songs are different, yet many of them sound similar. Guess that's what I liked so much about "alternative" music back in the day.

---

11-03-06 8:52pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Cool, thanks umfum.

Instead of going really thematic with this mix, I figured I'd treat it like a cartrip and play songs I thought were interesting. My wife and I did a thing one trip where we played one song from each of the CDs we had in the car. A kind of 'best of'.

I swear I'll get off my ass soon and write some stuff about you guy's mixes.

---

11-06-06 8:27am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

me too, Ive had yours, umfums (and Ivy's) sitting on my Ipod for a while now, and all are ace, but I reckon I owe you a few words on 'em.

11-30-06 1:21am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Okay, I've been a flake on my reviews of Gov's and Umfum's swap CDs (which Umfum reminded me of last night). Here's Umfum:

You Above Everything

1. Ain't We Crazy-Son's of the Pioneers: Nice little old timey start.
  2. Jelly Man Kelly-James Taylor: This hasn't changed my opinion of James Taylor. The only good thing I can say about this is it's less than 2 minutes long.
  3. She Don't Use Jelly-Flaming Lips: I always liked this song. Still do.
  4. Fuses-Stereolab: J'adore Stereolab. I've seen them in some pretty challenging venues, but they still pull off the richness of their studio sound live. See further comment below.
  5. Black Satin-Miles Davis: While I love Miles, and his portrait hangs in my office, his fusion period isn't my favorite. I much prefer his 1950's recordings. This song is a good compliment to Track 4 above though, as I was thinking when I heard that, "This is what it would sound like if John Coltrane had a vocalist during his avante-garde period."
  6. The Only One I Know-Charlatans UK: I like the beat and the keyboards on this one...the muddy vocals kinda spoil it a bit, but not enough to dislike the track.
  7. Big Country-Big Country: From the album "Big Country." They win the Donald Trump Award for Self Promotion. I've always liked this song, even when it's used in car commercials.
  8. Kiss My Irish Ass-Big Green Sea: This is actually the kind of music I imagine that Umfum listens to on Sunday mornings as he reads the newspaper. I don't know why, but it is.
  9. Dolly Parton's Tits-Tom T. Hall: Sounds like something you'd hear in a piano bar. I saw Dolly on TV the other night and thought, "I'll bet people would actually be more repulsed than aroused if she showed them." I'm not just talking about now that she's in her 60's (?), but in any era. I'll bet they're all veiny.
  10. Hips and Abdomen-Cathi Stout: OKAY! This was the song that had me laughing so hard, I had to skip to the next track on my commute to keep from crashing. It's a work-out track set to Christian music. As the musicians are singing about Jesus walking on water, she's commanding, "IN OUT IN OUT IN OUT and UP now KICK. Bring both knees to your chesst! IN OUT UP DOWN UP DOWN! Push your abdomen down and tuck in your chin! Work it! Don't Stop! Hang in there, we're almost there." I told one my my trainers about this song and she said it sounded so wrong that I was never allowed to play it for her.
  11. Birdhouse in Your Soul-They Might Be Giants: I'm not sure what could follow that last track, but I'll listen to TMBG any time.
  12. Cabaret Hoover-Ben Charest: This sounds like it could be the opening credits to a 60's sci fi movie about a vaguely latino mad scientist.
  13. Eh Cumpari-Julius LaRosa: This has to be an Italian drinking song. It's too happy not to be.
  14. Sentimental-Joan Sebastian: Is this a typo? Should it be "Juan?" Either way, I like it. I've always liked mariachi/ranchero music.
  15. Hypocrite-Antibalas: My favorite "serious" track on this disc. Great horns and guitar.
  16. East of the River Nile-Augustus Pablo: A nice intrumental.
  17. Pueblo Nuevo-Buena Vista Social Club: I had a few BVSC tracks in my short list for my swap CD. I played around with the tracklist quite a bit to try and figure out where to put them. In the end, they didn't match what I was going for on that one, but I still really like this band. This one has a lot more piano and less horns than most of their songs that I know...and where are the vocals? Still good, though.
  18. Echos of Time-R. Carlos Nakal: Suddenly, we're in a Kill Bill movie.
  19. Gymnopedie No. 2-Erik Satie: Sorry, too slow for me.
  20. Energy Fools the Magician-Brian Eno: Okay, now the CD has ground to a halt.
  21. The Energy Blues-Biz Markie: I'll have to unpack my adjectives to write about this one. Biz Markie is brilliant. He's like the black Leon Redbone. His cover of Benny and the Jets is one of two covers of that song that forever ruined Elton's original for me. Once again, this song sounds like it was written for him. Al Gore should take Biz on tour and have him open for him with this song. You gotta love those Schoolhouse Rock jingles--catchy and educational. Some of my other favorite covers of Schoolhouse Rock songs include Lemonheads (of course) covering My Hero, Zero, and Blind Melon doing Three is a Magic Number.
  22. Big Fran's Baby-Lennie Niehaus: And then we come back around with that old timey music again.

Umfum's Pendulum

1. Diggin a Watery Grave-Morcheeba: "A drifter comes into a small Texas town" music.
  2. Damn Shame-Jay Farrar: I'm indifferent to this one.
  3. Right to Bear Guitars-Harvey Birdman: I'LL TAKE THE CASE!
  4. Freedom-Jimi Hendrix: Great song.
  5. My Love-Lenny Kravitz: Will Lenny ever escape the shadow of comparison with Jimi?
  6. It Beats for You-My Morning Jacket: It beats for you whenever I have my morning jack it. Er, I mean I like this song.
  7. Boylife in America-Cody Chetnutt: This reminds me of Ween, which is a good thing.
  8. Rock and Roll McDonald's-Wesley Willis: I'm not lovin' it. This song demonstrates why Biz Markie is so good even when he's singing badly. Biz puts his soul into his singing, whereas this guy is just making a fool of himself.
  9. Rock Music Lyrics-Dr. James Dobson and Susan Baker: Ugh, how can you make me listen to these hate mongers? Anyway, From what I heard, Karenna Gore turned out okay, even though she listened to a Prince song which sent Tipper out on her censorship spree. I'm sure there were a few people out there in 2000 who voted Bush just because they hated Tipper Gore. F-word it all. F-word, no regrets.
  10. Fur-Sesame Street: It's impossible to hate a Sesame Street song (even if you disagree with the message that being covered in fur is beautiful...for those of you who disagree, I have two words to say to you: Robin Williams).
  11. Judy in the Sky-John Fred and the Playboys: A decent 50's song. I wonder if Dr. Dobson ever danced to this.
  12. Hang on Sloopy-The McCoys: This is one of those unfortunate songs that we had to sing as nauseum in my 7th grade music class, so it's in the same category as Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald of songs I can't listen to.
  13. Jig-Saw Puzzle-The Rolling Stones: I've never been much of a Stones fan. Even in my classic rock days, I never owned anything they recorded.
  14. Fairy or Pixie-Paul Lynde: Paul was both. :)
  15. The Flyer-Nanci Griffith: I like it, even though it reminds me of Indigo Girls.
  16. Come On! Feel the Illinoise!-Sufjan Stevens: I really like this song--the music is just so bouncy in a Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard kinda way.
  17. Anthem for the Ernest-Bad Plus: This is what Joe Jackson would have sounded like if he hadn't been so somber.
  18. The Charlie Brown Theme-Vince Guraldi Trio: When I decided I needed to get into jazz, I bought this album since I knew of the cartoon score. I wonder how many other people got into jazz because of Charlie Brown cartoons.
  19. Rape Me-Richard Cheese: Some friends of mine kicked around the idea of doing this kind of schtick with me singing back in the 90's, but after Cheese started getting more airplay, we decided we'd sound like we were ripping off his gag.
  20. Popcorn-Hot Butter: Wow! I remember this song from the 70's. It always made me bounce up and down spastically. My sister had this on a K-Tel record along with Hocus Pocus that I would play over and over.
  21. Downtown-Peaches: I wonder if you went Downtown with Peaches if you'd encounter the fuzz.
  22. Crazy-Gnarls Barkley: Since I don't listen to music on the radio anymore, I think I discovered this song after everyone else was sick of it.
  23. Pound Your Meat-Emeril Lagasse: You would too if you looked like Emeril.
  24. Solace For the Lonely-Robin Ella: Ditto what I said about track 2.
Okay...TheGovernor: I'll get to you soon.

12-24-06 4:31pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

me added stuffs in eye-talicks 

choadwarrior

thanks, choad, that was an excellent Christmas present. wow, it's almost midnight! see ya later, i've got some chimneys to come down! ;)

---

12-24-06 8:59pm (new)

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

---
"Old" is the old new.

12-25-06 4:45pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Scyess

Yes! It' simple, soft-core, and fun. That's about it.

Maybe you guys would have enjoyed a James Brown version instead. Speaking of, did James Brown really die? My wife told me he had passed, but I've heard nor read anyhing of it. Maybe Gerald Ford's death ("torn apart by wolves today at the age of...") kicked James off the headlines. Figures.

---

12-29-06 8:46pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Why yes, I read about it here:

The Soul of the Godfather of Soul by choadwarrior
12-25-06
WHAAAAAAAA!
I FEEL DEAD!

12-30-06 11:02am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Umfums Pendulum

1. Diggin a Watery Grave – Very cool opener, love that bluesy guitar sound

2. Damn Shame – Mellow like a Beck song, but enough bite that Id expect to hear it in a cool indie film.

3. Right to Bear Guitars – Amen Brother

4. Freedom – Nothing finer than a bit of Jimi

5. My Love – Great Pick,

6. It Beats for You - Bass stands out for me here, I like it

7. Boylife in America – Does have a Ween-ness about it, which is a good thing.

8. Rock and Roll McDonalds – Like the idea, but it starts sounding like an advert after a while and the message is lost.

9. Rock Music Lyrics – Conservative Christians, anyone who gets their knickers in a twist over shit like that should be shot, thus alleviating the problem no?

10. Fur! - Keeps you warm when you're brrrr, Ace.

11. Judy in the Sky – I liked this

12. Hang on Sloopy – If your girl's called sloopy, it may be time to find a new girl.

13. Jig-Saw Puzzle – I fink as a britisha like, I should like Rolling Stones more, fact is most of their catalogue just washes off me, this song is alright. More of a Beatles Man I suppose, not that I support the argument you either like one or 'tother, just happens to be true in my case.

14. Fairy or Pixie – I thought it sounded like Uncle Arthur from Bewitched, if Choad hadn't mentioned Paul Lynde I wouldn't have been sure, I don't think that has any influence on the argument of Fairy or Pixie however.

15. The Flyer – Enjoyed this.

16. Come on Feel the Illinoise – Been recommended Sufjan Stevens a few times on Amazon based on previous purchases, tho this is the first Ive heard him, and I've got to say I like what I hear. Certainly up my street.

17. Anthem for the Ernest – Brilliant, definitely a favourite from this cd. It just works!

18. The Charlie Brown Theme – Ace!

19. Rape Me – Someone mentioned to me a while back that a band were doing covers of rock songs in the lounge style, I thought they were called Lounge against the Machine or something I just laughed. Then after listening to this I laughed some more. Great stuff. I guess LATM are a Richard Cheese thing too?

20. Popcorn – Has a warm spot in my heart, tho I wouldn't necessarily admit that in public.

21. Downtown – wasn't that keen

22. Crazy – Gotta say its a good song, and he's got a great voice, he appeared on an english music TV show doing some sort of Cabin Crew montage, looked pretty cool!

23. Pound your meat – Sadly we're in European Union now so our meat just comes in kilos!

24. Solace for the Lonely – Great end, Im a sucker for a pretty voice.

You Above Everything

1. Ain't We Crazy – Canny (which is Governor speak for good)

2. Jelly Man Kelly – I've got to say I liked this, maybe the Tea aspect

3. She Don't Use Jelly – First heard this song as a Ben Folds Cover on the Brick Single, loved it then, love it now. Do prefer the Ben Folds version for the style, thats not to take anything away from the original cos its still ace.

4. Fuses – This is wonderful, never been big on Steroelab till this swap, what with this and Choads Lo Boob Oscillator, definitely a band I'll be snooping at in the future

5. Black Satin – Can't really go wrong with Miles, bought Sketches of Spain the other day, one of those artists Id sell my mother for a time machine to see live.

6. The only one I know – Not really into the CharlyTwins, for no other reason than I had a ticket for one of their gigs, but couldn't go because of work, and my flat mates at the time wouldn't shut up about them afterwards.

7. Big Country – Canny

8. Kiss My Irish Ass – Jes would love you for this one, I thought it was pretty special too, especially the guitar.

9. Dolly Partons Tits – I don't really want to see them, but I guess for scientific purposes....

10. Hips and Abdomen – Plain Wrong, but I guess even Christians need to be good shape for all that moralising.

11. Birdhouse in your Soul – Great track

12. Cabaret Hoover – Belleville has become one of my favourite films now.

13. Eh Cumpari – Italian “I am the Music Man”, greatness.

14. Sentimental – I like this.

15. Hypocrite – Ace

16. East of the River Nile – Interesting, wasn't overly taken with it, but quite a mellow groove

17. Pueblo Nuevo - I really like this, dont listen to Buena Vista Social Club enough

18. Echoes of Time – I am a wolf in the moonlight crossing over the dark forest . I am a leaf on the wind of life, I need another beer! If I ever need to meditate I know what song to choose now!

19. Gymnopedie No 2 – This has been sorely missing from my collection, cheers.

20. Enery Fools the Magician – Usually a bigger fan of Eno, but this didn't really strike me.

21. The Energy Blues – I like this, and its perfect for a compilation Im doing for another friend.

22. Big Fran's Baby – This just reminded me of that bizarre Don Hertzfeldt cartoon where the little guy is happy then his anus begins to bleed.

1-23-07 5:47am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

TheGovernor

Does he say, "My anus is bleeding."?

[hr]

Thanks for the 'views, guys. Much appreciated as always. Always hope to turn people on to new stuff or remind them of old stuff they'd maybe forgotten.

Also, I guess I'm the odd lot what likes me Beatles and me Stones in equal measure.

---

1-23-07 8:52pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Okay, I'm a slacker. I'm months late on this, but I think I explained that I moved awhile back and the CDs were packed up. I always meant to review these two CDs because I have a little rule--no ripping tracks from swap discs until I tell the sender what I think. Also, I didn't want to post my reviews of sseycs' and smurph's Swap 9 discs until I met this obligation:

Escape from the Planet of the Insane Robotic Elephant Overlords

1. Neighbourhood 1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire. Great intro. I really like the vocalist's plaintiff wailing.
  2. Det Du Tanker I Dag Ar Du I Morgon - Dungen. A good instrumental. I like how the piano and flute are sweet and mellow, but the drums and guitar add some rock edge to keep it from being too easy listening.
  3. Ivy Dun - William D. Drake. This song didn't do much for me until the drum track kicked in.
  4. Teach Me Sweetheart - The Fiery Furnaces. I didn't care much for the random bleeping, but I did like the vocalist's voice and the more melodic parts.
  5. Freedom Fries - Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation. I'd like to raise my glass and give this song a freedom toast, but I wish you would have put some Zep on here instead.
  6. Pi - Kate Bush. Mmmmmm. Pi.
  7. Stack Shot Billy - Black Keys. Very good. I big blues fan for a long time. I saw my boss's blues band last week and I told him that it's very easy to do the blues horribly. He didn't, and neither did this song. Quite nice.
  8. Suzanne - Leonard Cohen. I've always liked this song too.
  9. The Wounded Small Girl in the Grass - Guido Sol. Not a fan of this one, either the spoken word or the singing.
  10. Get a Grip (On Yourself) - The Stranglers. I just did, as a matter of fact. This song grew on me.
  11. I Can See for Miles - The Who. I was a huge fan of The Who for most of my teens. I'll listen to them any time. I this is the best opening chord in rawk history.
  12. Take it Easy - Bright Eyes. I really like this song and will probably seek out more music by this band.
  13. So Forlorn - King Creosote. A decent track--it belongs in a road movie.
  14. The Staunton Lick - Lemon Jelly. I like the Staunton Lick. A nice blend of acoustic and electronic elements.
  15. A Little Man and a House - Cardiacs. An enjoyable song. I like how it continues to build and build.
  16. Starship Trooper - Yes. I was also a big fan of Yes in my teen years, but honestly, I don't think their music has aged well. 70's prog rock just sounds too pretentious to me now (and I'm a pretentious guy to begin with). I always liked the music of this song much more than the lyrics.
  17. This Summer's Been Good - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. While a good song, I thought it was a little out of place following Starship Trooper and the other tracks on this disc.
Overall, a very good compilation with many tracks I'll be adding to my collection and a few new bands for me to discover. Well done.

Alternativo

Excellent theme--alternate versions of songs that were in Tarantino films.

1. Misirlou - The Beach Boys. Funny how a traditional Greek song is most associated with surf music. The track I sent was closer to the traditional version, but I live at the beach, so I'll take surf guitar any day.
  2. Son of a Preacher Man - Nancy Sinatra. Nancy's great--she probably should have been more successful than she was. This is a fun version.
  3. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - The Animals. I like this original better than the cover in Kill Bill Vol 1. Eric Burdon played the San Diego County Fair last week--my boss and a co-worker said he sounds just as good as he did 45 years ago (and they'd remember).
  4. Girl You'll be a Woman Soon - Neil Diamond. I've learned to appreciate Neil much more in my adult years, and I have the Pulp Fiction version of this song to thank for that. I liked it so much, I sought out the original.
  5. Lets Stay Together - Tina Turner. I love Tina Turner, but you're right--this version is a little too 80's. If she would have been a little more edgy on this, this would kick Al Green's ass.
  6. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot me down) - Cher. I prefer the Nancy Sinatra version from the film--it's more dramatic.
  7. Stuck in the Middle with you - Da Vinci's Notebook. Can anyone hear this song without thinking of that scene Reservoir Dogs? Too doo woppy for me.
  8. You Never Can Tell - John Prine. A decent version, but compared to Chuck Berry, it sounds like a bar/wedding band cover.
  9. Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis. Nothing wrong with this at all, but I think I like the cover from the film better.
  10. A Satisfied Mind - Porter Wagoners. I have a Jonathan Richman version of this song too. It's a great song--I love the lyrics.
  11. Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf.
  12. Hooked on a feeling - B.J. Thomas. B.J. Thomas? Don't mind if I do. I forgot about the sitar in the original.
  13. Malaguena - Miguel Aceves Mejia. Me gusta. Another acoustic track I have a Jonathan Richman cover of.
  14. Coconut - Sprung Monkey. This band is from San Diego, so they got a lot of airplay here. They were a fun band, and this iremains a fun song to listen to.
  15. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Nina Simone. What a masculine voice. Sounds like it was recorded by a tranny.
  16. Little Green Bag - Tom Jones and the Barenaked Ladies. My love of Tom Jones is well documented. God, I love his voice. This might be my favourite track on this disc.
  17. Malaquena Salerosa - Paco de Lucia. Lo me gusta, tambien.

6-23-07 3:10pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

MMyers' Presents My Ghetto Ass CD Swap!

1. Supervillains - Whats not to like?, ace opener.
  2. Blackheart Procession - Great piano, got a soft spot for this trac, and any track that uses the old ivory to good effect.
  3. Decemberists - Great lyric driven moral tale, loved it.
  4. Acid Radio - "Maybe you'll turn gay..." Ace
  5. Grandaddy - I liked this, but I couldn't really tell you why.
  6. They Might be Giants - liked this a lot, sort of a grown up nursery rhyme.
  7. The lemonheads - Twas good, but I think you're right definately an era song.
  8. Supervillains Eternias Greatest - Marvellous! Id never heard of them before, but I dig their voodoo, so to speak.
  9. Breeders - Great, but lacking something, tho Im not quite sure what, perhaps a more funky bassline would have took it to that next echelon, although this sentence was only written so I could use the word echelon. Echelon.
  10. Teenage Fanclub - This cover did nothing for me, didn't really add anything to the already bland Madonna song, although I did like your thinking.
  11. Backstreet Boys Cover - Ryan Adams - This however I thought was hilarious.
  12. Pulp - One of my favourite tracks from one of my favourite bands, I love Jarvis' Macabre humour and down to earth lyrics. this song captures Pulp in all their glory. I bought the single of this song, it had the wonderful Tommorrow never Lies song as a b-side (which was turned down by the good people who run the Bond franchise, but in my opinion was superior to Sheryl Crow's effort, check it out if you have the chance, may even include it on a swap if I haven't already)
  13. Jellyfish - Great song. Loved this, apart from the Supervillains this is my favourite on the album
  14. Pavement - Pavement are one of those bands I wish I could see live just once. Great track, definately up my street (no pun)
  15. Frank Black - Teenage Fanclub - "Handyman" - Cool
  16. More Acid Radio - Great
  17. Black Keys - Good pick, Black keys are currently one of the bands at the top of my playlists at the moment, I love the raw simplicity of the sound they have going on.
  18. A Tribe Called Quest - Ditto yours and Umfums comments.
  19. Sheecret Shong - Homestar Runner's one of those sites that make the whole world wide tinterweb almost seem worth the effort. Aceness
Ive got to say Ive had this sat in the car stereo for ages (well while I had a car anyway), and its a brilliant compilation, Supervillains are genius, especially that he-man one, will deffo be checking them out. The strongest compliment I can pay you (and umfum and choad) is that I'll be including some of the songs off this on compilations I give to other people, so cheers for the inspiration.

7-13-07 11:07am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Seasons change, but it's supposed to be in the 80s here this week, so I'll give my ... "Summer"ization of mmyers disc:

01) MUNGO -> For better or worse -- okay, worse -- this song reminds me more of the BP commercial than the original ... or the summer. "Cool" sumer track.

02) BELLE -> For better or worse. That describes how I feel about Belle & Sebastian. Every time I hear a good song by them, I soon after hear a bad one. Do like the faux-country sound of this one.

03) JAZZY -> In my book, could hardly be a summertime compilation without this song.

04) DOG -> Great track for those days when it's so freaking hot outside that you just want to stay inside wearing your popsicle undies.

05) WAYNE -> Great fuzzy guitar makes me feel the humidity (not the heat).

06) ACE -> Given how closely it resembles the original, I'd rather have heard Bananarama. First rule of remakes: Make it your own!

07) HOLIDAY -> Chill Billie out to springtime makin' daisies pop like babies.

08) RICHMAN -> Mr. J readies us for strolls through Central Park and Strawberry Fields. Nothing is real.

09) DONDERO -> Cause summertime is painless ... it brings so many changes ... and I can hum the M*A*S*H theme if I try...

10) CUTIE -> Haven't heard overly much by these guys, but this is my fave of what I have heard. Perfectly captures the desolate side of summer.

11) COSTELLO -> And here's Elvis with The Other Side of Summer. Literally. I'm bummed because I tried getting one of my friends into Mr. Costello, but it didn't take.

12) MONTREAL -> Silly sounding song springs!

13) WAITS -> And Tom caps things off with the perfect coda for the summer season and this summer session. Summer Sanders. Summer Cummings. Susan Somers. Pat Summerall. Summer Cum Laude.

---

10-13-07 10:16pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #8, Group Three--Umfum TheGov Choad

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help