Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Group 4: Ivy, Frank, HCRoyall, Twi_Prime

Author

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Alright, the long awaited review to HC's CD, properly titled "Dr. BigFrankenfurter105." Absolutely brilliant.

Big & Rich - Soul Shaker - Okay, let me start off right away by saying that I'm not a fan of country, but I'm pretty tolerant of it and am open to anything (it's kinda hard not being a fan of the stuff in a small Illinois town). I'll admit, I like their "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" song but figured these guys were just a one hit wonder. I actually made fun of one my friends for seeing them in concert at Summerfest, saying "What? Did they just perform their one hit and get off the stage?" She told me that they actually had a lot of good songs as a matter of fact and... Well, she was right. I actually like this song. A lot. This may actually make it into my regular rotation.

Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire - Ahhh... Billy Joel. This man automatically gets props for marrying that tart Christie Brinkley, but I like this song a lot too. Unfortunately his songs remind me a LOT of this bitch I used to date freshman year of college, but I don't let that ruin the experience! Woo!

"Steh Auf" - Holy shit! Is this song in German?! My roommate speaks the languge fluently so I called him up and he explained that "steh auf" kind of means "rise" or something. Anyway, this song reminds me of a good German drinking song. I really liked it, but I'll be honest and say it took me until the chorus to really enjoy it.

"Eddie's Apartment" - There's something growing in Eddie's apartment eh? Who the hell sings this anyway? I'll give it an "eh", but I at least like the creativity of the lyrics.

Wallflowers - God Don't Make Lonely Girls - Okay... more country that I'll admit to liking. But that's it. I won't admit to anymore. You hear me?!

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car - Ehhh... Slower country probably isn't my thing. good song, but not my favorite. Remember, not the biggest country lover here so my opinion probably doesn't mean a WHOLE lot. I could probably see myself throwing this into my chill out mix.

Toby Keith - Nights I'll Never Remember - Okay, I WILL admit that I like Toby Keith and have more than a few of his songs. A guy who endorses Ford trucks and writes songs about drinkin' can't be too bad right? Toby delivers.

Titan A.E. Soundtrack - My Turn to Fly - Oooh, I remember when this movie came out. I never saw it, but I remember the previews. I kind of liked this song... sort of an electronic/country/rock feel to it... I think? Who sings it?

FF8 - Man With a Machine Gun - Okay... I've played Final Fantasy I, II, V, VII, IX, X, and even X-2... But I can honestly say I never played VIII. Not even once. I don't know why, I don't know what it was, but I think I just spent too much time playing VII to notice that VIII had come out. Anyway, I definitely love the tracks that Nobuo Uematsu assembles for the Final Fantasy games and this is DEFINITELY no exception. Absolutely amazing. I know that Uematsu's band "The Black Mages" has a rock cover to this song. I gotta be sure to download that too.

Simon & Garfunkel - Sound of Silence - HAHAHAHAHA I know this song from "Old School" where Frank gets tranquilized and falls into the pool. Oh man, well okay, with that aside I can't say that I've heard this whole song and it actually isn't too bad. I like oldies music, but not the more mellow stuff like that. That being said, I gave this a shot and I liked it.

Shinedown - Simple Man - I really like the voice of the guy from Shinedown. Nice and powerful. I only have two of their songs (45 and Save Me). It's right up there with what I was expecting.

Seal - Love's Divine - People always ask "Seal has the weird thing with his face and no hair... How the hell did he marry Heidi Klum?" I'll tell you how. Cuz the man writes some damn good love songs! Shit, I even wanna get on the guy. He can definitely turn the most heterosexual males gay. Okay... umm... Yeah. Seal rocks.

Santana - Black Magic Woman - Okay, I'm required to like this song. Little back story. St. Patricks Day this year I'm at this greasy burger place on campus with a friend, and this drunk hobo comes in and starts singing this song over and over and before long my buddy joins in with him and quite a few people in the diner start singing along with him. Woo! Drunken hobos are great, and so is this song.

Ozzy Osbourne - Sympathy for the Devil - I was thinking to myself "No way this is a cover..." Yeah. It is. I like Ozzy's take on this song.

Outlaws - Riders in the Sky - This song reminds me of something that you would hear in an old Western movie. I really like it. I feel like I should be drivin' a big as truck down a dusty road in order to really appreciate this song though.

Rent Soundtrack - What You Can - Sorry, I have a predetermined "dislike" towards Rent. Girl I dated last year absolutely loved this musical and made me listen to the whole soundtrack over and over with the promise "I'm gonna take you to see it someday!" Well, she dumped me, and I dumped this album out of my library. This was probably one of the songs that I actually liked on the album. Maybe if I'd listened to the songs on my own time and wasn't forced to I'd enjoy it more :-P

Flogging Molly - Prison - I have most of the Dropkick Murphys library but can't say that I have much by Flogging Molly. Sad, I know. Those Irish can sure make songs about drinkin' I tell ya!

Also, HC, I burned you a copy of Protest the Hero's CD "Kezia". If you can send me your address again in a PM I'll send it out to you tomorrow. 

7-19-07 2:58pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

BigFrank105I got that off my first roommate in college, who spoke German like a native. His translation of the chorus was something like "Stand up when you're on the floor, Stand up when you're feeling low, Stand up because everything will be okay."

Neither of those are Country. The Wallflowers, who to my knowledge only put out one studio album then broke up, were headed byJakob Dylan, son of Bob, and I always thought the style was a blend of Bob Dylan's older music and the light rock of the late 90's. Tracy Chapman just has a unique style that I liken to a mix of soft rock and soul music; she's really heavy on the vocals, and the music is just for flavor.

You'd have to google it. I can't for the life of me find the cd case or booklet.

If you do, don't bother beating it. Get to the last boss and then turn it off. Suffice to say that the gist of the ending is that because of the fucked up time-travel element later in the game, if you (the main character) had just said "Fuck it" at the beginning of the game and gone to live on some remote island until everything blew over, the end boss (evil person from the future) would never have been able to attack the past.

They won't perform in VA anymore because they did that song at their last concert here and all the Skynyrd fans booed them off the stage. So now I have to go out of state if I ever want to see them live.

The Outlaws are a classic rock band from the era when today's country would have been called southern rock and Hank Williams, Sr. was still the only definition of country. Look up a song by them called "Green Grass and High Tides Forever". The studio version is almost 7 minutes long, and the live version, with all the solos and extended instrumentals, is close to 20 minutes. And every second is pure rock ecstasy.

Watch the movie for your own reasons; it's better that way. The cast in the movise, save for two people, is the original broadway cast, and you can tell by the way they mesh so well. When you see the production and the scenes acted out, the music has a lot more meaning than the lyrics convey.

If you want, I can burn you copies of the two albums I have of theirs, 'Drunken Lullabies' and 'Within a Mile of Home'. My brother has two I have yet to burn, as well as a live album; I may have to steal them this weekend and burn them to my computer.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

7-24-07 9:54am (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

HCRoyallYou'd have to google it. I can't for the life of me find the cd case or booklet.

Some band called The Urge. I also have the soundtrack. Been one of my favorites. That song is a perfect driving song.

7-24-07 11:35am (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Shows how much I know my country music I guess. Anyway, I have Protest the Hero's album "Kezia" burned, but all it needs is to be sent in the mail. I'm shooting for the end of this week, because lately it's been skipping my mind because I have a huge test next Monday.

So when you do listen to the album, HC, keep in mind that it tells a story. When I first listened to it, I really didn't understand what the hell everything was about, then I was advised to actually look into the story and read the lyrics, and that definitely made me appreciate the music a lot more. The album is ten songs. The first three are about a Priest who is questioning his 'profession', and has realized that by talking to Kezia that he's lost faith. The second three songs are about a prison guard who believes that Kezia is the Messiah and is destined to save mankind, but has also been told that he must execute her. Next three songs are about Kezia herself, and how the world is in shambles, God is dead, and she's the only thing that can save humanity. And the last song is the conclusion of the story. And the fact that the band members wrote this song in high school is pretty impressive too.

Ya know, just in case you wanted to know.

7-24-07 6:54pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Money is so close and yet, so very far.

7-27-07 9:40am (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

It'd be closer if you robbed a bank with a broken bottle tied at the end of a broom stick.

(HC your other CD is in the mail and you should be getting it tomorrow)

7-29-07 7:31am (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Good news! I got paid today!

They gave me my pay stub on Friday so I could have all weekend staring at money I didn't have yet.

I shall get to the CDs forthwith! Previewing the track list now.

7-30-07 4:40pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Huzzah! Tomorrow before work I shall mail the CDs!

If I am particularly lazy and sleep in, I shall mail them after work.

Either way, they get mailed tomorrow.

8-07-07 4:08pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Just to let you know, at the last minute before mailing, I previewed the CDs and the levels are all fucked up. Somehow, one song is so quiet that it can't be heard, while another is so loud it's ear-grating. So I'm bugging boo to help me fix them before I reburn and mail them.

Six of one...

8-12-07 6:14pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

I'm lazy, I know. Sorry about it. I'll send a second CD or a Thai hooker as compensation for the wait.

8-20-07 11:05am (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Mailed them today. I couldn't find any Thai hookers, so I sent a Disc O' Mystery. Expect excitement and hilarifunity.

8-22-07 1:00pm (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

Hilarifunity is nice and all, but I was really looking forward to that Thai hooker.  She/he/it could've made me a lot of money.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

8-22-07 6:40pm (new)

ivytheplant
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Shoulda gotten them by now. If not, let me know.

The Top 40-listening office of mine continues to make snarky comments about the CDs you guys sent. Which is a good thing.

8-30-07 4:20pm (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Gah, sorry Ivy. I got your CD's a few days ago and plan on listening to them soon whenever I get a free minute in my schedule. Hopefully by the end of this weekend.

8-31-07 11:19pm (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

I got it, but I've been a little sidetracked from listening. I'll try and give it a go this weekend, what with the extra day and all.

---

9-01-07 5:33am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Group 4: Ivy, Frank, HCRoyall, Twi_Prime

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests