Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Group 3: Jes, Umfum, UnknownEric, TheGov

Author

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Im off to invade france for about a week but afterwards I promise to get these puppies in the mail.

Managed to salvage most of the songs, and the ones I lost won't be missed really anyway.

8-30-07 11:37pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

Hey, guess what I just did?  That's right, the CDs are finally in the mail/post!  I'm not a total stiff after all!

As I was typing up the super secret track lists (open at your own peril), I realized the irony of me sending to jes and Gov in the UK mix CDs made mostly of UK artists (especially the "pawp" CD which, I think, has only one non-Brit/Scot act on it).  Oh well, hopefully they're obscure enough that you don't already have their catalogues, but good enough that you'll enjoy them.  And what can I say... the UK makes the best indiepop!

---
I has a flavor!

9-06-07 6:12pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Yay, music from Unkle E!

I've included a few Brit acts myself. Feel like I'm punting the pitch, but imitation is the sincerest form of flatulence.

Still working on the second disc. And have acquired a song I want to use in replacement of one on the first disc. So, delays abound. Sorry. I'm not going to France or anything, but I promise you'll have packages from me before Halloween.

And putting these discs together has interrupted my review of the jesly discs, but I have enjoyed them, sir!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

9-07-07 11:05pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Huzzah! I was beginning to think I had swapped too soon and been forgotten!

I'll post some comments about my tracks I'm keen to make when you've all dispatched yours, as I'm aware all I sent out was a pretty basic A4 playlist. I also look forward to receiving some Unknown music.

Also, umfum, it seems Fuj has a copy of one of your swap CDs from the last round here, I'm going to listen to that to keep me going until this round's missives appear.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

9-10-07 2:04pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Got the Unknown music not so long ago. Nice!

The Pawp disc was like listening to all the best bits of obscure British indie pop from ten yers ago, it surprised even me with how many bands I hadn't heard of. A tremendous antidote to the approaching cold and gloom of autumn. I'll get round to the Rawk shortly.

---

9-18-07 12:23pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Posting on Monday, (Post office strikes notwithstanding)

Sorry for the delay guys.

10-13-07 5:33am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Sorry guys. Started a part-time job a month or so ago and have been too busy for much of anything.

Still, I have solidified the track list for disc #2. And I finished a review of mmyers' Summer CD. So, reviews for jes and UE are due next. Need to do those before Gov's get here else I'll really be backed up. Should be able to send out discs not this but next Mon or Wed!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-13-07 10:23pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Gov's CD arrived yesterday (thanks a lot Royal Mail) - a review  to follow when I get a free evening.

---

10-18-07 11:00am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson's BLUE:

01) TRACER -> Already well-known for his consistently brilliant opening numbers, Mr. L amazes once again with a vibrant piece that's both atmospheric and jaunty.

02) GLASS -> Second offering finds Mr. L delving into familiar waters with a wonderful selection what ends too suddenly.

03) AFAR -> Voiceless, indeed. Stunning track which at once leads us forward while echoing the past of track one.

04) ARLO -> Turning the tables, Mr. L presents a song relying almost totally on the strength of its vocalist. Sublime.

05) NEWSOM -> Speaking of voices, hers must be one of the most unique I've ever heard. Pleasantly weird. Well played, Mr. L.

06) LOW -> And now Mr. L's theme presents itself within the lyric "sometimes your voice is not enough." Brilliant.

07) BIFF -> Again, Mr. L pulls out the rug from under our tapping feet with a wistful vocal performance that's at once sad and funny ... like a clown.

08) MOGWAI -> This track builds and builds your anticipation until forming a vast wall which hangs in the air much like bricks don't.

09) LOW -> Perhaps the last track was Mr. L preparing us for take off to ... Belarus!

10) MOGWAI -> Stop Coming to My House for Close Encounters! Here, Mr. L fills us with a sense of distance more linear than the verticality what came before.

11) LENNON -> And now we are thoroughly grounded by a known voice. Note: Is it just me or do certain piano notes in this song echo bits from "A Day in the Life"?

12) CLARKE -> And now a fascinating "air" that feels as if it's a part of something bigger. Mr. L gives and yet leaves us wanting more.

13) CLANNAD -> Lilting and beautiful like floating upon the sea.

14) SEEFEEL -> Now we're getting practically ethereal rising from sea to sky.

15) ORBITAL -> The voyage complete(?), Mr. L leaves us drifting upon infinity with affinity.

-> I don't know if this disc was themed intentionally or not. I know that I requested some LOW and MOGWAI. Maybe that had something to do with it. At any rate, the compilation threatens to float away at certain points and actually does at others. But it's all in a good way. Thanks for the trip, jes!

---

10-18-07 10:21pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I know I promised packages by Halloween, but that was before my CD burner died. I'll miss ya, buddy. We made a lot of great discs together. In fact, it was in the process of creating the first of the second set of discs for you guys when it went -- brave soldier, that.

Anyway, I'm mulling over buying a new burner. In the meantime, I do have a backup computer with a burner. However, the process of transferring the tunes over to that unit will be a bit more difficult since that disc was unfinished.

I still might get the discs posted by All Hallows' Eve, but don't fret, pets, if I'm later than promised.

---

10-18-07 10:28pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson's RED:

01) ORBITAL -> End with Orbital; begin with Orbital -- sounds good either way!

02) ONLY -> Conquering space, one hot alien chick at a time.

03) PEANUTS -> Is this on a Tarantino soundtrack somewhere? If not, it should be.

04) METRIC -> Great lyrical and musical hooks.

05) SLIP -> Love the big guitar sound and awesome licks.

06) AFAR -> More excellent grinding and grooving from Afar.

07) TEEGAH -> Don't love this a ton ... or even a Reggaeton.

08) BLONDES -> They sound as blonde as the four non-blondes didn't. Nice lyric.

09) M.I.A. -> Saw this video on MTV who knows when. Liked the song then. Love it now that I can hear it over and over.

10) LOSTPROPHETS -> Starts a bit slow but takes off just in time. Good sound.

11) ????? -> Took a while, bit I figured out this isn't Low. They don't record fast songs, anyway. ;) Maybe this song wasn't even supposed to be on the disc as it's all scratchy. Shame. Sounded like a good track.

12) LOW -> Response to my previous swap discs or just an excuse for more Low? Either way, funny.

13) DUKE -> Neat message in the lyrics and a cool composition.

14) CAT -> Three words: X. Quiz. It.

15) BUDD -> Can't tell you how many times I've listened to this one. Awe and then some, as I like to say. From the soundtrack to Fear Is the Key. Gotta watch that sometime. Also, you can't fucking drive normally when this music pours out of your car speakers. It's impossible.

16) SCOTT -> I could listen to cool shit like this all day long.

17) ATWELL -> Charleston Chewy! Nice arrangement.

18) ISAAC -> Damn, that's a sad lyric. Good song, though.

19) FARDON -> Didn't expect a track titled "Belfast Boy" to sound like a basic rocker w/ horns. Chorus kind of reminds me of Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World," but otherwise it didn't make much of an impression on me.

20) NINA -> Well, you knew I'd like this one. Makes me laugh every time.

-> It seems I didn't write as much about the individual tracks here as I did on the last disc, but I liked these very much. I guess the difference lies in how I relate to them. The first one to me seemed like a journey. This one is what you listen to while you're on a journey. As if that makes any fucking sense. Anyway, as the Guiness Guys say, "Brilliant!" work, jes.

---

10-20-07 10:25pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

"The first one to me seemed like a journey. This one is what you listen to while you're on a journey.

As good a name for them - those are what I'll call them now.  In my mind they were the untitled unofficial sequels to the Introspective and Outrospective CDs I swapped some years ago.    You even spotted the tunes that in retrospect I should have second guessed myself on, eg. the West African one.  But very glad you enjoyed them.  

I could write all day about some of the bands I included, I'll spare you for now, I should really listen to Gov's disc...

---

10-22-07 1:53pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson

Aside from a few tracks, you never really know what people will like/love/hate/ignore. It's fun to take chances and throw in something different once in a while. If it doesn't work, so what.

I wish people would write more about the bands they included. There's not nearly enough of that in this forum, IMHO. I usually do so in the pages I send along with the discs.

Oh, and I got the Gov discs, too. What's up with you Englishters and you're svelte packaging?

Shit, gotta go. Squidbillies is on!

---

10-24-07 9:04pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Mine were a rush job this year, not up to my usual high standards, but I was pleased with the outcome nontheless. I was going to include a 'quiz' sheet and sellotape the booklet to 'score' shut and have a movie quiz but after the computer crash I just wanted to get them out really.

Got a pile of swapped cds sitting on my desk at work. Currently Jes's Blue is getting its share of air time (Ive had to wait for someone else to post first, simply cos Ive lost the track list and, apart from the odd one or two, didn't recognise many of the song. Track 2 (Philip Glass?) is one I keep coming back to time and again though.

Reviews forthcoming (though I think I owe choad one first)

10-25-07 8:18am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Dang I'll have to dig up the tracklisting and remind myself what I put on so I can give you the full skinny. Off the top of my head, I'll start with the Clannad Track title translating to "The Green Stubble-fields of the Autumn"

I've also listend to Gov's Score CD - result!  Instrumental music, especially soundtracks, are my favourite kind of orchestrated music and after looking at the tracklist I near soiled my popcorn and conductor's baton.  The version of John Barry's Space March was perfect - I put a version on my 1st or 2nd swap CD back in the day but this one won hands down.  Full, review to follow but excellent stuff again.  

---

10-26-07 11:30am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Before I post my reviews I'll say a few things about the tracks on the discs I sent out:

Tracer AMC In Rivers - Yep I stll love Tracer,one of the best bands to come out of NI for years. I saw them play a gig in the Catalys Arts Centre in Belfast, it was tiny and during the day. It was rather special to be sitting with only twenty other people, sitting on a windowsill, looking out over the city towards the hills to the west, when they played this tune.

Phillip Glass The Illusionist - As I've said I really dig soundtracks, especially ones with wonderfully powerful dark opening sequences like this. I think PG will go down along with other modern composers such as Copeland and Sibelius in history.

And So I Watch You From Afar And The Voiceless

Currently my favourite local band. They're going to be quite big I think. This is their Magnus Opus.

Arlo Guthrie Gabriel's Mother's Hiway Ballad #16 Blues

Ah yes, I wanted to bring things down a notch and what better way than with this. Just some real nice Americana.

Joanna Newsom Swansea

I saw her in late April at All Tomorrow's Parties, she's a pixie-like as you expect from her voice. She's about 4'8" and wears a big white flowing dress, while playing the harp. To my mind if you're going to write alt-folk, you need to stand out, and she certainly does.

Low Silver Rider

"Sometimes your voice is not enough."
Nearly brings me to tears. The Album is The Great Destroyer, this was the highlight track.
Biff Rose Molly

My dad got me into Biff Rose, he made a bunch of albums in the 70s that sounded like they were recorded in the Twenties. This is another sad one, it was between this and Just Like a Man which is almost too sad to put on a swap CD.

Mogwai Stop Coming To My House

I really like the electronic beeps that you can hear over the top of the piano at the start and end. I think Mogwai had a new album out recently...

Low Belarus

From the "Drums and Guns" album, Low take a different tack on this album and use lots of looping pedals and some sound modules to go a bit more high-tech while keeping the simple vocal harmonies and melodies that we love.

Mogwai Close Encounters

Again I love the intro - a simple melody that sounds awesome on the elecric piano. We saw Mogwai at Somerset House in London in the summer and this was one of the highlights for me, to hear it live.

John Lennon Jealous Guy

This isn't the kind of track I usually put on a swap CD but I felt it worked. He shares my initials and JL was something of a hero for me when I was young. You can't fail to be moved by this track.

Dave Clarke Adagio for M3

I've put Mr.Clarke's wild yet solid techno on some other discs, this was some of his earliest work from the mid 90s. Like having a requiem in space...

Clannad Coínleach Glas An Fhómhair

Again, not something I'd usually add to the disc but I'm exploring folk much more since I moved back to NI. I shall include some more contemporary and traditional stuff on the next disc methinks.

Seefeel Time To Find Me (Come Inside)

This track to me is the music that would be played in the waiting room of the future, complete with a giant 3D countdown timer that says "Please Wait..."

Orbital Attatched
You know how much I dig Orbital. This is perfect ambinet music for me, building slowly, then surprising you with the strings and the tenor voice. "aaaaAAAAAh" - I heard it in bed as a teenager one night and had to go and find out what it was

I'll have to comment on the second disc later, I'm needed elsewhere...

---

10-28-07 9:57am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

jes_lawson

Cool, me too, this was a proper labour of love putting together. The compilation did start off as a general film soundtrack cd, but once I realised how much orchestral music I had that I wanted to put on it veered down that route (and I had enough really for two cds worth, so culling it down to 20 or so tracks was a stretch even after I disgarded the likes of Jerry Reed's Smokey and the Bandit theme (I'll save that one for future swaps))

The Space March is from Barry's excellent You only live twice , which is possibly my favourite Bond soundtrack, If you keep an eye out in HMV at the student sales they usually sell these off at under a fiver, and if you're into Barry Id definately recommend this or OHMSS.

10-29-07 3:37am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Just finished listening to "Eclectic" by Gov, that's certainly the best way to put it!

Every, and I mean every track had me reaching for the inlay to see what it was, I'm going to need another listen to it to fully appreciate the subtleties but I'm so far liking of course Paul Hartnoll and Joanna Newsom (that track you included was nearly the one to go on mine but for a coin toss), but also Sophie Solomon, Flook! and William D Drake. I can also now say I've heard Bat For Lashes (for some reason if someone blows up really quick I tend to ignore them) and I'm pleased she is the genuine article. I also like the slightly Slavic/Ashkenazi/Russian folk vibe going through the disc, it kind of provides an exotic port of departure that the listener can keep returning to.

More follows...

---

10-29-07 2:34pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson

Was it the one with "Kiss My Irish Ass"?

Fuj or somebody commented that you would have liked that track.

---

11-10-07 10:41pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Since Unknown_Eric sent these discs with blank inserts*, I decided to listen to them while wearing earmuffs. Sorry, that didn't read as funny as it sounded in my head. Anyway, I'm still working on PAWP, but here's RAWK:

*NOTE: I've listened to this disc without looking at the tracklist until ......................... right now! So keep that in mind.

01) REPLACEMENTS -> Doesn't sound quite like the Replacements. Maybe it's just Westerberg. Love the brief horn interluden. Wish there were more of it.

02) DENTISTS -> Vocalist sounds familiar, but don't know who it is. A nice, laid-back groove.

03) JESUS AND MARY CHAIN -> Oh My Bleeding Ears!! Excellent!

04) LOUD FAMILY -> Like the lo-fi "feel" of this one even though they're clearly using clever production techniques. As TheGov says, "Ace".

05) WEATHER PROPHETS -> I'm digging the counterpoint of the punchy gtr lick vs. the subdued lyric.

06) MENDOZA LINE -> Dylanesque. That's a good thing, BTW.

07) WEEZER -> I like the band name WEEZER because you can type it all with your left hand. Aside from the fact I kept expecting them to sing, "Suzanne, you're all that I wanted in a MAN", I like it.

08) PINK FLOYD -> Professor Waters: "Class, this is the perfect example of someone tapdancing the thin line between genius and madness".

09) DEMICS -> Is this New York Dolls or David Johanssen(sson?). Sort of sounds like his voice. I know this song, but not the band. It sticks in your head.

10) CENTROMATIC -> Cool slam-on-you set to appropriate musical background.

11) BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD -> A-ha! The payoff comes at the end.

12) HUSSALONIA -> Unlike the previous songs, this one just didn't resonate with me...

13) CROWDED HOUSE -> ...as opposed to this song which stays with me long after I hear it. Sweet. And now I found out it's Crowded House!

14) VERSUS -> Nice transition from the previous track, but not quite as much impact. Still good.

15) GRAHAM PARKER -> Vocals sound a bit like Elvis Costello. Music puts me in an autumn mood.

16) ADORABLE -> A bit draggy, but the jammin' parts and cool ending saved it.

17) SUEDE -> The lyric is a bit too repetitive, but the guitar part is great.

18) GUIDED BY VOICES -> Fits well with the latter half of the disc, but didn't quite do "it" for me.

19) KING MISSILE -> Sometimes I think he wrote this lyric just to get to the corny joke at the end. Reminds me of college. Good times.

---

11-10-07 11:20pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

PAWP*:

*NOTE: I've listened to this disc without looking at the tracklist until ......................... right now! So keep that in mind.

01) BLUE STARS -> Nice lyric. Though, if you're not paying full attention, you begin wondering why they're singing about "dry ice."

02) TALULAH GOSH -> Good beat, but I can't dance to it. That's more of a reflection on me...

03) BOYRACER -> What is it with you and these raucous #3 tracks? Love it.

04) SLOAN -> Another big beat, but this one doesn't stick to my ribs for some reason.

05) SEA URCHINS ->Reminds me of Fables-era R.E.M.

06) ORCHIDS -> At this point, I'm unsure that this disc is the PAWP one. Seems pretty RAWKin. to me. Great track.

07) BELLE AND SEABASS -> Interestingly complex atmosphere. Now that I know it's B&S, I can see why I was torn by the track.

08) ORANGE JUICE -> Thought I'd heard this one before, but I'm not sure now looking at the name. Really dig that bass line.

09) DARREN HYMAN -> Most romantic porn song ever. Er, song about a pornstar ever. Er, damn good.

10) POOH STICKS -> Seems creepily linked to #9. ;)

11) BMX BANDITS -> Ah, now we've entered the realm of PAWP. And don't we all need some serious drugs (once in a while)?

12) SIDDELEYS -> This one actually scares me a bit. That one set of vocals pops right out of the speakers and sounds like someone is in the room with you!

13) BIFF BANG POW! -> Soothing -- especially after the last track.

14) AURBISONS -> "Holy Cow, that's all I think of you now." HA!

15) RAZORCUTS -> Like #4, just can't get into it.

16) ACID HOUSE KINGS -> Okay, you're insane. Great pick. Soothing and confusing at the same time.

17) MELODIE GROUP -> Makes me feel introspective.

18) BIG GUN -> Song seems really good, but the sound is a little "hot." I'm afraid one of my tracks will turn out the same way.

19) EDSON -> More like Edsel. Sorry.

20) CINERAMA -> Great track. Absolutely perfect and excellent ending to this disc.

[hr]

Overall, I liked RAWK better than PAWP. To be honest, it took several listens before I really heard anything I liked a lot on PAWP. It may sound strange, but as the weather here turned colder, I started liking PAWP more. That said, they're both solid discs. I guess I prefer a bit more variety in genre, but that wasn't the point of these discs. Finally, I found a lot of cool stuff that I'd never heard before, and that, to me, IS a big part of these swaps. So, thanks for that and a slew of new music.

---

11-15-07 11:49pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

The discs are almost ready. Seriously.

However, I've deleted the email with your addresses.

Please send them to me via pm or my gmail address. I'll be sending the gmail addy in pms. Thanks.

Discs shall be mailed on Monday.

---

11-15-07 11:53pm (new)

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Ripped from vinyl.  I still haven't got the hang of that yet.

Glad you found so much you liked!  I'm still hoping to get some damned free time so I can review jes & gov's discs!

---
I has a flavor!

11-16-07 9:30am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

UnknownEric

Ah, kudos for the effort then.

My track is merely from a newer CD. At least a couple of songs on it can be difficult to listen to because of the recording methods used.

I also meant to add that I like that fact you put the year of recording on the tracks. I like knowing that kind of stuff.

---

11-16-07 8:59pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Was it the one with "Kiss My Irish Ass"?

Fuj or somebody commented that you would have liked that track.

He was right, I did. I really enjoyed that disc, it made great early evening cooking listening. Your PM's should have our address by the way.

---

11-18-07 5:52pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Group 3: Jes, Umfum, UnknownEric, TheGov

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests