Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Group 3: Jes, Umfum, UnknownEric, TheGov

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Is it still 25 posts per page?

Yes, it is. 

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

11-18-07 11:02pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Well, it was according to the preview pane.

Anyway, discs should be posted tomorrow barring a major catastrophe.

Here are my three-word descriptions of each track to keep you curious until the discs arrive.

Clouded Nine:

01 Not Mike Nelson

02 Opposite Meaning Here

03 Rest In Peace

04 A 'Model' Citizen

05 From "The Sopranos"

06 Some Greek Chick

07 Always A Sailor

08 Bovine Barnyard Ballad?

09 Sure Sounds Nasty

10 Brief Banjo Break

11 Also Wrote Siddhartha

12 Spangled Leather Poncho

13 A Bad Minus

14 Meaning Is Unclear

15 Meaning Is Clear

16 From "Club Paradise"

17 From Outer Space

18 The Cover Boy

19 Neutered MILF Motel

20 I'm Just Braggin'

This Shit Hits:

01 Real Fucking Funny

02 Vroom Ex Machina

03 Tangled Asphalt Horns

04 Good Advices One

05 Eddie Mumbles Again

06 Not Mother Hubbard

07 Good Advices Two

08 Big Dumb Song

09 Shake Your Tree

10 Good Advices Three

11 Cocktail Party Record

12 Mucho Bongo Bango

13 A Gold Digger

14 Good Advices Four

15 Hard Times Mississippi

16 More Death Themes

17 Good Advices Five

18 An Orange November?

19 Have Some Rum

20 Good Advices Six

21 Brassy Ad Bouncy

22 Plain White Trash

23 Allied Calcium Inn

24 Good Advices Seven

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

11-18-07 11:44pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

A bit late perhaps, but I thought I'd warn you guys that these discs aren't exactly something you'd want to play while the family was gathered around the yule log, kwanzaa bush, menorah, backbacon, or inverted burning cross.

Please enjoy responsibly.

---

11-26-07 1:38am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Don't worry, Miss Lady's as unshockable as they come and I've no CD player in my car, so when I'm running Granny round to my aunt's there'll be no opportunity for choice language or wind-breaking noises, except if Gran's had too many sprouts...

Now, do I want to say anything about my second disc? Um...may as well...

jes_lawson's RED:

01) ORBITAL

I wanted to make the change of tone on the Red disc plain so you get this amazing key change and soaring vocal over what to my mind sounds like flying saucers over Basingstoke, but lead you in to a more upbeat listening experience.

02) ONLY Ones

This was used on an ad (I seem to get a lot of my tracks from ads...) but I saw them live at... you guessed it...ATP in April. The lead singer looked worse than Keith Richards. He pointed out his dad in the audience and Mr OnlyOne Sr. looked in better health... Grand wee tune though from this Aussie 80s band.

03) PEANUTS -> Is this on a Tarantino soundtrack somewhere? If not, it should be.

I agree. Guaraldi's a genius.  Can't get enough of his work, especially the Peanuts stuff. 

04) METRIC -> Great lyrical and musical hooks.

Nothing special but I quite like playing their tunes out when I DJ. The chicks like it.

05) SLIP -> Love the big guitar sound and awesome licks.

Ah yes, memories of Easter '06 rocking out with my friends, playing PS2... Always good memories associated with this.

06) AFAR -> More excellent grinding and grooving from Afar.

I really really dig these guys. I got to meet them at a local festival in the middle of the Irish countryside, what a sound bunch of lads they were, not like their sound would suggest. I predict big things.

07) TEEGAH -> Don't love this a ton ... or even a Reggaeton.

mmm...yeah...I wish I hadn't put this on now, put it down to experience.

08) BLONDES -> They sound as blonde as the four non-blondes didn't. Nice lyric.

Class little pop-punk track, I still play this in DJ sets...

09) M.I.A. -> Saw this video on MTV who knows when. Liked the song then. Love it now that I can hear it over and over.

Another one that was the soundtrack to the All Tomorrow's Parties Festival I attended in April. She has new material out. Bootstompin'

10) LOSTPROPHETS -> Starts a bit slow but takes off just in time. Good sound.

LP's ability to sound like a US band while still coming from Wales is amazing. I don't usually go for this kind of music but this one spoke to me at the time - Give Life Your All and No Regrets - a clichéd but true epithet.

11) ????? -> Took a while, bit I figured out this isn't Low. They don't record fast songs, anyway. ;) Maybe this song wasn't even supposed to be on the disc as it's all scratchy. Shame. Sounded like a good track.

Ach, shiz... sorry! Not sure what this was, any clues?

12) LOW -> Response to my previous swap discs or just an excuse for more Low? Either way, funny.

Both ;-)

13) DUKE -> Neat message in the lyrics and a cool composition.

Miss Lady went to art college with Duke's wife. What a guy - in a world of singer/songwriters who can't/can't, he stands out like a dreadlocked Cole Porter on a mission to hurt you up with beautiful words and music.

14) CAT -> Three words: X. Quiz. It.

I should really buy more Cat Power, she's powerful powerful good. Thought you might like her.

15) BUDD -> Can't tell you how many times I've listened to this one. Awe and then some, as I like to say. From the soundtrack to Fear Is the Key. Gotta watch that sometime. Also, you can't fucking drive normally when this music pours out of your car speakers. It's impossible.

I knew you and Gov would seriously dig this. I used to play this in my car late at night, driving at dangerously high speed, driving past the Angel of the North near Newcastle, pretending we'd just ripped off a bank... Budd ROCKS.

16) SCOTT -> I could listen to cool shit like this all day long.

Ronnie Scott is for my money THE definitive and the best British jazz musician of the 20th century. His material is very hard and costly to find on vinyl and is the only thing I'll go to the bank for when I go to a record fair. I will put more stuff like this on CDs as long as I can keep finding it.

17) ATWELL -> Charleston Chewy! Nice arrangement.

Carribean meets rag-time meets incredible technique meets East End London meets 1920s Chicago. And if you live in the UK and remember the TV series Pot Black (or if you have access to YouTube...) you can hear the Black-and-white Rag which she's most famous for.

18) ISAAC -> Damn, that's a sad lyric. Good song, though.

Sam Isaac is managed by a friend of mine. Not my sort of thing but sometimes you have to go with what someone else says and I don't regret putting this on, his voice is incredible and yes, powerful stuff.

19) FARDON -> Didn't expect a track titled "Belfast Boy" to sound like a basic rocker w/ horns. Chorus kind of reminds me of Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World," but otherwise it didn't make much of an impression on me.

Mmm...another one I regret putting on, I was looking for the original version of this

20) NINA -> Well, you knew I'd like this one. Makes me laugh every time.

Cracks me up every time I listen to this :D

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

11-27-07 4:09pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

You guys did receive discs from me, right?

I've listened to TheGov's discs a few times each but haven't had any chance to comment. Maybe next year...

---

12-28-07 11:29pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

I certainly did. They blew me away. I've begun a comprehensive review but it's a Herculean task being accomplished on a Jerkulean time budget. 

---

12-29-07 12:02pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson

I certainly did. They blew me away. I've begun a comprehensive review but it's a Herculean task being accomplished on a Jerkulean time budget.

Excellent. Just wanted to make sure. I always worry about the overseas packages.

---

1-01-08 11:04pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Clouded Nine reviewed:

umfumdisi

Niiiice intro

umfumdisi

Very much so. I never knew Willie Nelson could be so deep and meaningful.

umfumdisi

Indeed. I love The Clash and I imagine in a few years or sooner I'll be checking out Joe's back catalogue.

umfumdisi Haha! I've never heard the verse sung by anyone else except Johnny Cash. I never liked this song first time out but this resurrection of the original is very welcome.

umfumdisi

Ah...smooth. I knew a guitarist called Tony Iorio once. We called him Smooth Tony because of his awesome laid back style, and his ability to get away with speding tickets from the poice because he was "Italian" Ah...this brings back good memories....

umfumdisi

Good old Rough Guide - this was eye-opening. Have I included some Django Reinhardt off Rough Guide on a previous swap? Pretty sure I did, I got that from a Rough Guide CD  - they are gold

umfumdisi

Man this is my new favourite song. I am very very much into vocal harmony at the minute and this track, made in Yorkshire, speaks to em like nothing else. It's like The Who sold down their instruments, moved to rural NI or Northumberland, wrote this, then lost it and gave it to these guys. You've got a knack for inspirational tracks Mr. fum.

umfumdisi

On first listen I didn;t like this but on second and third I warmed to it. Mooo.

umfumdisi
"Snake farm, sure sounds nasty. Snake farm. Pretty much is." The YouTube video was epic.

umfumdisi
Ah, a classic. I really like this version, but then I like all instrumentals, latin rhythm sections, and Black Magic Women.

umfumdisi
Shades of Elvis and Arlo Guthrie. Very counterculture, I like it.

umfumdisi
Brazillian moochers wearing your boyfriend's clothes never sounded so smoov. This track is so laid back it's horizontal - the off-the-wall lyrics make it.

umfumdisi
Splendid stuff - jazz drum 'n' bass at it's best. Great tension in the track, I love this.

umfumdisi
I think you did a better job of finding a good African track than I did. I will keep trying. I think what I was looking for was from Mali or West Africa, I think the style is called Hi-Life
umfumdisi
It's like George Clinton got his priortities straight.

umfumdisi
I'm a sucker for this early 80's singer-songwriter stuff.

umfumdisi
A classic umfum style bit of freaky proggish rock. Except it's Parliament. Woah.
umfumdisi
Another one who fell along the way, way too soon. If anyone suited that ethereal double-voiced Lennon style it was him.

umfumdisi
Big and joyous, but doesn't really go anywhere for me. But damn, listen to that wonderful sound...

umfumdisi
Ah, good old Billy Bragg, I rather think he was better writing songs like this rather than making awkward political points. Still sounds really real, raw yet poigniant. And to think I always thought it was "I'm not looking for New England"

Another great collection, it's given me lots of access points of some new music I want to check out.  Just so sorry it took me a couple of months to saying so.  Thanks.   

---

1-14-08 4:09pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes wrote:

"Another great collection, it's given me lots of access points of some new music I want to check out. Just so sorry it took me a couple of months to saying so. Thanks."

[hr]

y'r wlcm

Hell, it took me three months to say so about yours! No problem.

I had to warm up to "Cowgirl" myself, but it now inhabits my head quite often. The music isn't groundbreaking, but it fits perfectly. And the lyrics are just clever enough to pull everything together and make the song endearing.

"Falling Slowly" and "A New England" both came from the Rough Guide to English ... something. Sorry, I can't recall the full title. Found these gem discs at my local library. "Falling Slowly" sounds like it could have been written hundreds of years ago. On the Jazz side of vocal harmonies, The Best of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross is listed as one of the 101 best Jazz albums from the book of the same title. Never heard it myself, but might be worth checking out. No idea if it's on CD.

The Bad Plus' latest disc is titled prog and has more great stuff. I'll be including a track on the next swap disc, of course.

---

1-24-08 10:48am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

The Gov presents SCORE!

SHAWSHANK - Like the elegant stride of the "up" parts and the hopeful note throughout.

CAPSULE - Only problem with this track is that it's not long enough. Immediately puts me in mind of that scene.

CAPONE - If it weren't for the Old World touches in this tune, it would hardly seem music for a gangster. Strange but cool.

TITLES - Just enough Oingo here and Boingo there.

SACRIFICE - Very dramatic. I'm sure seeing the film would intensify the effect.

FIJI - So nice that I almost put this on one of my discs. The overall soundtrack is a bit of a letdown as it doesn't seem as evocative without the film.

MIDDLESEX - Ashamed to say I've never seen this movie about which I've heard loads of good things. Track is short but intriguing.

ARRAKIS - Toto? This...is...TOTO?!? I suppose I should make a joke about not being Kansas anymore, but I won't. Great track from a good movie from an awesome book.

HARMONICA - Can't you just tell when you're in the presence of Ennio? Love it.

HOBBITS - Have seen absolutely seconds of the latest trilogy. Track is hobbitish, though, as I recall them from the animated LOTR.

VALSE - Excellent little valser at that. I really enjoyed Amelie.

KOYAANISQATSI - Native American for "you're creeping the hell out of me!" Isn't there not nothing Philip Glass can't not do?

OVERTURE - Really like the opening mood of this piece. Then things perk up before ending suddenly. Odd.

NERVE - Heh, gotta see that Kill Bill sometime.

ENTERPRISE - My God, it sounds like someone is trying to steal the Enterprise! Oh...

THEME - There's a raunchy little theme I don't remember at all. Nice to hear you again.

GUYS - Quite stirring (though I hedged my bets with the "Rocky" guy).

ALIEN - Been years since I've seen it. Thought this tune would have been darker, more intense.

HAMBURG - It's taut and light on the mayo. Very nice.

KENOBI/ATTACK - Doesn't matter what you think about the three latest SW films, the music is still awesome.

SPARROW - Rollicking grandeur at its best.

-- Another excellent conception and execution. So good, in fact, that I may have to steal the idea and use it for a future swap! Great blending of the well-known and not-so-well-known. Keep raising the bar, and one day you'll be unable to reach it. ;)

Will get to "Eclectic" soon...

---

1-24-08 11:16am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

ECLECTIC:

PEPPER - This could have gotten monotonous, but they ended things soon enough. Nomiated for best use of "Rain" in an animated short.

PURPLE - Have now heard several Gogol songs and want to get a CD of theirs, but don't know where to start. Maybe the one before Super Taranta (sp?)? Like this one as it sounds like they're just having fun. Seems too many groups get wrapped up in trying to be a sound or always being serious. Lighten up once in a damn while.

TURN - Have heard other Yeah songs that didn't do much for me, but this one shows a bit more musical diversity as befits this compilation.

PRICKS - Would have put this one after "Purple," but I'm corny like that. :D Reminds me just a trace of the Asphalt Tangl track I sent.

BITTER - Upon first listen, I thought the beginning of this track was a coda to the end of the previous one. That would have been awesome! Still pretty good on its own, too.

WHITE - Hark, is that early Crimson calling? Love the persistent sax throughout. Excellent track.

INTERVENTION - Have seen them on SNL and Austin City Limits now and love their stuff. Have yet to buy any, but that will change.

SUPERMARKET - What an off-kilter blast. McLovin it!

MOUTH - Like the way it builds right up until the end, but the vocals are a bit weird without being rewardingly so.

BEFORE - Hey, did you sneak over here from the "Score" disc?

FASTER - Interesting piece. The layered vocals add to yet detract from the music. Taken together, though, it's a positive whole.

SEASHELL - Looked for Mr. Drake at my local record store. Sadly, did not find him. Enjoy everything you've sent by him.

TRY - Love this is so many ways, half of them are likely illegal.

REEL - Flookin' Beautiful! Reely.

BRIDGES - Plucked delicate beauty perched upon wisps of clouds mix with that other-worldly voice in an elegant clash. I hear just a tinge of Janis in her voice. Amazing.

CYDONIA - Thanks for working Muse in here. That track fits very well considering its construction and changes. Nice shift from Joanna, too.

COAST - Great touches and sounds off the main melody. Hi, treason.

SIWGR - Another fun one. Sugar, sugar, sugar, ha!

CAKES - Gorgeous. Great band name, too.

WITHIN - Gotta love the Drake!

--As you can surely tell, I've enjoyed and will continue enjoying this disc. Great mix of tunes. The way some tracks melded into others was highly appreciated. Another supremo effort from the house of Gov.

---

1-27-08 9:05pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Even if you gentlemen don't have time for pompous, full-blown swap disc reviews like mine, just drop a list of what you liked and didn't. I like to know for future swaps (one of which is already upon us). Thanks.

---

4-13-08 11:24pm (new)

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

I'm hoping to do a full-blown pompous review ASAP.  :)

---
I has a flavor!

4-14-08 8:03am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Only 6 months late... Im getting better ;)

Jes Lawson - Blue CD Swap Nine

1. AMC In Rivers - Tracer
I liked this, great opener

2. The Illusionist - Philip Glass
I really rate mr Glass, though having watched the film I don't think it does his score justice. This song is beautiful

3. And the Voiceless - and so I watch you from Afar
Very like Tracer, its almost as if you've made a sandwich with a philip glass filling. This is the kind of music I love to see live.

4. Hiway Ballad no16 blues - Arlo Gurhrie Gabriel
Aceness

5. Swansea - Joanna Newsom
I still don't quite know what to make of Joanna. I saw her last year and she was great, but I think Id have to be in an exceptionally weird mood to listen to an entire album in one sitting, though this track is great, she does have one of those voices that just melts me.

6. Silver Rider - Low

I stuck this on a chrimbo compilation for a few friends. Its beautiful.

7. Molly - Biff Rose
This is great on so many levels. I like how it kicks up a notch midway, then fades back into the melody.

8. Stop Coming to my House - Mogwai
'Twas interesting but I think I prefered Close Encounters out of the two Mogwai tracks

9. Belarus - Low
Low are definately a band I need to check out in a big way. Reet up me street.

10. Close Encounters - Mogwai
Mellow and chilled. Me likes.

11. Jealous Guy - Mr Lennon
Hard not to like this, for me the understated bass line really hits home. Still a classic.

12. Adagio for M4 - Dave Clarke
It eats at you until you surrender and just let it happen.

13. Glas An Fhomhair - Clannad Coinleach
Another song I popped on my Chrimbo Compilation, Beautiful is an understatement, Im a sucker for a good female vocal, and hers is A1.

14. Time to Find me - Seefeel

I wasn't really taken by this, perhaps I was still mulling over the Clannad Coinleach track.

15. Attached - Orbital
I really have to be in the right mood to enjoy Orbital, though it could just be the spaciness of this, because some songs like Way Out on your other cd I can listen to anytime.

Great CD, I'll post full notes once I finish reviewing Red. Favourites probably include both the Low Tracks and for some reason the Biff Rose track really stuck in my head. Aceness all round

4-15-08 3:56am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Lost my track listing when I wrote this, so just going off what I know or can guess from the thread.

Jes Lawson Red CD Swap Nine

1. Way out - Orbital
Good for any occasion, One of those 'takes you on a journey' tracks. Love it.

2. Another Girl Another Planet - Only Ones
Alreet, a bit wishy washy though

3. Peanuts - Guaraldi
Agreed, its Genius.

4. Combat Baby - Metric

Enjoyable, but felt it was missing something.

5. Even Rats - Slip
Liked this, guitar stood out, though they sounded like they were building to something at the end then it faded away again.

6 (Track) - And so I watch you from Afar
These guys could definately make it. Great track.

7. (track) - Teegah
Have to agree with umfum, its not really to my taste.

8. 19 - The long Blondes
Got ta say I like it, even if it does make me feel old. Someone should really do a rock cover of Paul Hardcastles tune of the same name, that would be something!

9. Bucky Done Gun - MIA
Not really my thing, but I did think it was interesting.

10. Envy - Ash

Ahh Ash, ace tune!

11. Rooftops - Lost Prophets
They could be great but they sort of aim for the crowd pleasing melodies over unique style, and so they don't really stand out. This track was alright.

12. Hatchet - Low
ACE!

13. Everybody wants a little something - Duke Special
This was cool

14. No Sense - Cat Power
This is brilliant, beautiful voice complimented perfectly by a haunting melody

15. fear is the key, carchase - Roy Budd
No complaints here, Ace track.

16. (track 16) - Ronnie Scott
This is also great, its the kind of tune I look for but don't know where to start looking. Cheers

17. Charlston - Winifred Atwell
I had a History teacher who would do the Charlston on request. Damn this girl was talented, Id give my right lung to be this good on the ivories.

18. Photos in the Dark - Sam Issac
I don't know about this. Hes got a powerful voice but to me I don't think it compliments the folky accoustic guitar style, perhaps a rock style would be more suiting, I don't know, haven't made my mind up totally though.

19 Belfast Boy - Fardon
Its alright, can't say it hooked me though.

20. Straight Outta Compton - Nina Gordon
I dig the idea, had me in stiches.

Another solid Compilation, though I have to admit one or two tracks didn't quite push my buttons, though there was enough variation on here not to care. Stand out tracks included the 'Afar track,Low, Cat Power, and Roy Budd, and definately Nina's cos that shit was ace. In all Ive enjoyed both cds. Im definately going to have to check out low, cos I dig their style. Out of the two I think I prefered the Blue cd slightly more, as it felt a more rounded compilation, though the red has certain tracks on it that still make me go 'cool' when the shuffle gods of my ipod ordain its time to play them. Cheers again for the disks.

4-16-08 4:50am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Glad you enjoyed 'em Gov, one can never have a 100% success rate with tracks or there's something seriously freaky going on, but if I've opened your ears to a few new things and given you a few things you don't mind hearing again, then the swap was successful in my books.

---

4-16-08 3:52pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Amazing the amount that gets done when half the internet is burning.

Clouded Nine By Umfumdisi

Well I took your cryptic crossword clues, mixed in some scooby doo-esque investigating, and came up with a partial track list based on stuff I knew, educated guesses, and google shicanary, and then I looked in the padded envelope you sent and found your actual track notes. Ho hum, serves me right for not looking.

1. Ou Es-Tu Mon Amour? - Willie Nelson
Nice Opening, got a Hotel Calafornia type vibe to it, and leads nicely into..

2. I never cared for you - Willie Nelson

Very cool, perfectly complimentary to track one, one of my fav's on the cd.

3. Get Down Moses - Joe Strummer
Great tune, Id have definately have liked to seen him with the Mescaleros, he went before his time.

4. Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
Im so-so about this tune, somedays I like it, others Im a bit more 'meh', Probably something to do with being about 10 when it came out, or that I have to be in the mood for it.

5. Piove - Lorenzo Jovanotti
Interesting, reminds me Ive still got a couple of seasons of Sopranos still to watch.

6. Trigona - Kristi Stassinopoulou
Very intriguing, sounds like its building towards some big ass greek breakdown, then comes to a halt which felt artificial, I reckon I may look out for her album cos I think I'll get that pay off I was expecting.

7. Falling Slowly - Coope, Boyes and Simpson
Hadn't heard of them before this, very intriguing folky harmony.

8. Id Like to be a Cowgirl - Cathy Fink

Moo!

9. Snake Farm - Ray Wylie Hubbard
Sounds like something that wouldn't be out of place in a Tarrantino / Rodriguez Bar scene. Big fan of that dirty guitar riff. Got a Black keys connotation to it.

10. Black Magic Woman - Hayseed Dixie

And there was me thinking they just did comedy covers. This is actually rather good. Yeah I think it was on that extra disk you sent me a few swaps back, didn't equate it with Hayseed Dixie though.

11. Snowblind Friend - Steppenwolf
Couldn't stop thinking of 'In the Ghetto' From the King himself. Nice song though.

12. Gaucho - Steely Dan
This started too 'moonlighting' for my tastes, but does eventually grow on ya.

13. And here we test our powers of Observation - The Bad Plus

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, can't get enough of em, every Bad plus track has grown on my soul like a leech ever since. The bastards are only playing a couple of gigs in the UK this year, and Im at Glastonbury at the time, bah!

14. Coulibaly - Amadou & Miriam
Nice Tempo'd track, I can see them boring after a while though, not enough change in the song.

15. Laugh like Fuck - The Coup
Not normally to my taste, but I enjoyed this.

16. Seven Day Weekend - Elvis Costello & Jimmy Cliff
When Elvis (Costello) is on form he certainly hits home, enjoyable.

17. Lunchmeataphobia - Parliament
I approve.

18. Coast to Coast - Elliot Smith
Very Intriguing, for an american he seemed to have a very anglocentric 60s-70s style. I dig this.

19. Holland, 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel

Never heard of them before, which is weird cos at the time this came out, it would have been exactly the kind of band I would have wanted to listen to, and even now its not without a certain charm.

20 A New England - Billy Bragg
Classic. 'Nuff Said.

6-04-08 3:02am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Umfum - This Shit Hits

1. Fucking Car - Steve Martin
Hehe. I sometimes forget that Steve Martin used to be funny. Great Film, back when Hughes used to be a good director aswell, and not doling out shite kids flicks and rehashes.

2. Short Ride in a Fast Machine - John Adams
Wow! Aceness. Love it.

3. Fanfare Ciocarlia - Asphalt Tango
Guv Approves.

4. Samurai Code 1 - Forrest Whittaker

Ive not seen Ghost Dog, its now on my list.

5. Red Mosquito - Pearl Jam
Not much to say, other than ace.

6. Kilowatts - Ray Wylie Hubbard
No relation to L Ron then? Think I liked Snake Farm slightly more. This one does grow on ya though.

7. Samurai Code 2

8. Rock Star - Nickelback
Oddly I think this is alright, normally Im allergic to Nickelback

9. Gangster of Love - Geto Boys

Didn't really do it, though I did enjoy the lyrics.

10. Samurai Code 3

11. Chinga Tu Madre - Molotov

Incidentally Im learning Spanish at the mo, though I had to google it, essentially means what you think it means. Interesting song, sort of a Mexican Beastie Boys.

12. Ran Kan Kan - Thunderball Vs. The Fort Knox Five
Yeah!

13. George Bush Don't like black people - The Legendary KO
Hmm, I appreciate the message, but for fucks sake is 'Gold Digger' is this the only bloody backing track available these days? Ive kind of hit my limit on that song, and to be honest if they wanted to make a statement they could have picked a ton of songs better than that shite.

14. Samurai Code 4

15. Living for the City - Stevie Wonder.

A Beaut! Masterful.

16. My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion - Flaming Lips
I like this, Haven't got their latest album yet, but this has smatterings of yoshimi about it.

17. Samurai Code 5

18. Into the Ocean - Blue October
Very Pleasant, the singer has an almost Peter Gabriel quality.

19. Seven Seas of Rhye - Queen

One of my favourite tracks from one of my favourite bands, goes well after Into the Ocean aswell.

20. Samurai Code 6

21. Straight to... Number one - Touch & Go

Hmmm, Very cool, Think I'll be perusing the web for that slower version methinks.

22. Fancy - Bobby Gentry
I like this

23. Untitled - Neutral Milk Hotel
Ace! So different from Holland, I think its my favourite on this disk.

24. Samurai Code 7

Well the Shit certainly did hit! Wow what can I say,another two excellent compilations from Mr Umfum. Great variety in tracks and pace. Neutral Milk Hotel stood out, as do the Bad Plus (but then they always do for me). Loved the Willie Nelson tracks aswell, and I find it hard to choose a favourite between the disks as they both hit the spot nicely, nor can I single out a single track for praise as there was too much on here that pushed the right buttons for me. I Will be checking out Neutral Milk Hotel, and Elliot Smith in the future methinks. John Adams is my kind of composer aswell. Loved how the second disk was interspersed with those quotes from Ghost dog, been meaning to do that (with movie quotes) on a few compilations now, (perhaps for swap 10) Cheers again for the discs. Great swap.

6-04-08 3:06am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Glad you like 'em, Gov. Can't disagree with much of anything stated above. I think Steely Dan is the kind of group that grows on you -- probably as you grow older -- like moss or soemthing. ;)

"Coulibaly" by Amadou & Miriam was the best song on their disc, IMHO. The others were also repetitive, but not in as nearly interesting a way.

I bought Rubber Factory by The Black Keys. It's amazing. I mean, they sound a bit like Bad Company if Bad Company had been able to kick that much ass. Can't wait to check out their latest disc produced by Danger Mouse.

Also have a friend looking for some William D. Drake since the stores around here don't seem to carry any. Maybe I should have looked in the Imports section...

Good luck with Swap 10. I have most of the tracklist in mind, but I have to get all the songs together first.

---

6-15-08 12:51am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Unknown Eric's Rawk

1. Message to the Boys - The Replacements
I liked this, though the Middle 8 seemed a bit out of place.

2. Appetite - The Dentist
good tune, sounded like so many bands I know all rolled into one club sandwich

3. Upside Down - Jesus and Mary Chain
Cool.

4. Don't Respond, She can Tell - Loud Family
Yep, Im going to say 'Ace'

5.Almost Prayed - The Weather Prophets
Melody felt a bit Belle and Sab, though didn't seem to go anywhere. Enjoyable nontheless.

6. The Queen of England - Mendoza Line
You'll never here me say this ever again, because of my bass playing I'll deny writing this if anyone asks, but I reckon this song would be much better without the bass.

7. Suzanne - Weezer
Ahh, Suzanne will always be the Mallrats Chimp to me! I Used to love weezer back in the day, great song.

8. Vegetable Man - Pink Floyd.
Wow. Its weird this song is both of its time and ahead of it as well. I suppose thats what Floyd did best though, especially the Barrett era. Seems to fit in better with tracks on Piper at the Gates of Dawn than saucerful of secrets, so Im guessing probably quite an early recording.

9. New York City - The Demics
Good, singers got a kinda jaggeresque vibe, I likes.

10. D.Boon Free - Centromatic
I like the guitar sound especially.

11. Flying on the Ground is Wrong - Buffalo Springfield

Tis alreet.

12. Time and Place - Hussalonia
Seemed to end far too quickly.

13. Kare Kare - Crowded House
I saw them at Glasto, they kicked ass. Love this tune.

14. Jealous - Versus
A bit meh, guitar solo was alreet though.

15. She never let me down - Graham Parker

Smooth and comfortable like a pair of slippers and a whiskey.

16. Homeboy - Adorable
Reminded me a little of U2 for some reason.

17. My Insatiable One - Suede
Not really up my alley. Do like the odd suede song, this one did seem to drag its heels a bit.

18. The Brides have hit glass - Guided by Voices

I liked this

19. Detachable Penis - King Missile
Larf! Liked the echoey guitar as well as the comedy.

Great Compilation, favourites have to include Loud Family, obviously the floyd as Id never heard that track before, and I really liked the tempered energy in the track by Guided by Voices, though lest we forget the detachable penis! What I liked most though was the fact the cd kept me guessing where you were heading next as the songs seemed to compliment their neighbours really well.

7-16-08 8:44am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Unknown Eric's Pawp

1. The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss - Trembling Blue Stars
Likes it, Nice opening track, Its got a mellow feel which glides you in.

2. The Girl with the Strawberry Hair - Talulah Gosh
I liked the harmonies, but thought the main vocal was a little too soft for the song.

3. Ive got it and its not worth having - Boyracer
Cool but seemed to taper off at end.

4. Deeper than Beauty - Sloan
Hmm I was digging it, till the la's.

5. Pristine Christine - The Sea Urchins

Solid tune.

6. What will we do next - The Orchids
I likes, enjoyable tune.

7. A Century of Fakers - B&S
Can't say a bad word about this, great guitar, love the lyrics, good pace, simply Ace.

8. Falling and Laughing - Orange Juice
Guv Approves, could maybe have lost 30 secs at the end though.

9. Crissy M - Darren Hayman
Loved it.

10. Teenage High - The Pooh Sticks
Beautiful voice. Bit of a shit name though (geddit)

11. Serious Drugs - BMX Bandits
Nice and layed back.

12. Are you still evil when you're sleeping - The Siddeleys

Perfect foil to previous track.

13. The Beat Hotel - Biff Bang Pow!
Check me in. Had a bit of a 60s feel, which considering McGee used to like the Creation isnt so suprising.

14. Holy Cow - The Aurbisons

Liked this.

15. Sorry to Embarrass you - The Razorcuts

Gotta agree with Umfum, though I liked the chorus.

16. Thats because you drive me - Acid House Kings

Similar to B&S but didn't have the same level of immediacy.

17. I do not not love you - Melodie Group
Double negativetastic. Great tune.

18. Heard about Love - The Big Gun

Can't say it grabbed me. Seemed too Morrissey without the intelligence or uniqueness.

19. September - Edson
My favourite month, thought this was alright, but didn't completely grab my interest though.

20. Health and Efficiency - Cinerama

Loved it, sortof reminded me a little of Jarvis Cocker.

Another Solid Compilation, I think I started out liking Rawk more, but on my ipod for train journeys to work Pawp wins out, I loved its relaxed feel, and though there were one or two tracks that didn't quite push my buttons, there were others that I thought were stand out. Will be checking out Melodie Group in the future methinks, and I loved that Cinerama track. Holy Cow from the Aurbisions was ace aswell. In all Ive enjoyed both discs immensely and Im looking forward to finally listening to your cd from the next swap as it has been sitting on my desk taunting me, but I figured I had to get this swap out of the way before listening to it.

Cheers again mate.

7-16-08 8:55am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Group 3: Jes, Umfum, UnknownEric, TheGov

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests