Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » No Country For Ol' MannZilla

Author

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

AngryAmerican

I'm actually embarrassed to have them play in my car.

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

4-12-08 4:00am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

AngryAmerican
Here at least 3 times a year

Member Rated:

a short list:

Eluveitie-metal and folk blended. if you don't like harsh vocals, this probably isn't the euro-folk-metal band for you. if you don't mind that kind of stuff, when used wisely, then you just may dig this.

Odroerir-if you're that pussy who can't handle too much metal in your vocals, this is more up your alley. fluency in german also a plus.

Orphaned Land-Middle Eastern flavored metal. You don't get that every day.

Skyclad- The band that pretty much started it all. if double entendres bother you lyrically, avoid this band.

Falkenbach- all rythms from this band are based on 10-11th century Viking folk songs. if viking had huge sound systems in their long boats to terrify their intended victims, they probably would've played something like this...

Finntroll- this band is like the industry leader of this little metal scene. not sure why except they sing about cool Nordic stuff and steal some folk riffs here and there.

there. study and learn young caterpillers...

---
Kill Whitey.

4-12-08 4:16am (new)

themushroom
Eat delicious cookies.

Member Rated:

Time to get off the sidelines:

UnknownEric:   Bingo (re: the barb on Beat Happening).  I have the split disk with the Screaming Trees and I just sat there wondering, first every time I played it, why they couldn't carry a tune in Samsonite.

Manz: I fully agree with the genre list.  Since I am exposed to plenty of country music (I married her?!) I thought I'd be naming some subgenre that you missed but no, that's actually a complete list AFAIK.  The chicks have more balls than the guys, except the redneck poli-sci majors of the world who have more balls than brains.  Seriously, Toby Keith and crew makes the Charlie Daniels that I grew up with look liberal, and you can fully picture Gretchen Wilson slapping Tammy Wynette upside the head and commanding "bitch, make me a pot pie."

I too get weary of country remakes of pop songs - especially those which spent time on the black music charts or sound like they want to get on those charts.  But I suppose you can only sing about your wife leaving you, your dog, your mama, your rightwing love of country, or getting blitzed in so many ways before you have to start borrowing cups of sugar from the neighbors.  In college I met this young blond buck who listened to Cathy Dennison and was a total latent ditz, and one day we were sitting around talking and he showed me his notebook of lyrics -- that's what he did for funds, he sold words to artists.  He half-proudly said that he had sold lyrics to a major artist and he had credits and royalties.  I asked who, and he wouldn't name names.  Sheepishly he said, "It wasn't a pop singer, like I'd written it for, it was a country singer.  But it's still money and a credit!"

---
Say something cryptic then leave snickering.

4-13-08 2:18pm (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

Speaking of music, I thought I saw Scyess twice last night at a three-band show. Turns out there are a lot more people who look like him than I thought in St. Louis.

---
Mediocrity at its most average.

4-13-08 4:14pm (new)

Rabid_Weasle
Professional style cramper

Member Rated:

My fuck-clones keep escaping.

---
Poop.

4-14-08 12:06am (new)

AngryAmerican
Here at least 3 times a year

Member Rated:

I had the same problem. Then I had them tagged. Now they realize escape is futile.

---
Kill Whitey.

4-14-08 2:02am (new)

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

themushroom

The first time my wife heard Beat Happening she asked, "Umm... are they retarded or something?"  :)

---
I has a flavor!

4-14-08 8:01am (new)

themushroom
Eat delicious cookies.

Member Rated:

UnknownEric

This was sooo many years before American Idol and proof that back in the "grunge" days all you had to do was start your own label (K Records, which did eventually produce talent) and SubPop would do the rest.  I blame being from Olympia, which is best known for its unshaven post-teen dykes and the band Sleeter-Kinney (almost the same thing).  Wikipedia:  "Beat Happening were early leaders in the American indie rock and lo-fi movements, noted for their use of primitive recording techniques, disregard for the technical aspects of musicianship, and songs with subject matters of a childish or coy nature."  You don't say?  That's a lot of words for "out-of-tune shit."

But this thread was about country music at some point.

---
Say something cryptic then leave snickering.

4-14-08 11:50pm (new)

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

ZMannZilla

Listening to The Back Country right now.  The chorus of the song is "He's got a way with women; he's got away with mine."  How can you not love that?

---
"Old" is the old new.

4-15-08 8:55am (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

I suggest, Big Z, that you take an objective view and accept, as I have had to, that most of the songs played on the radio are top 40 crap and the good stuff only rarely comes up.

I've got some good country, good recent stuff, that doesn't get radio play. I suppose if it did it would get played to death and everyone would hate it because of that, but anyway...

You'll get a taste in the CD swap.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

4-15-08 10:51am (new)

theburninator
innocent bystander

Member Rated:

Zaster Yeah? Name some bands. I'd like to check it out.

Ditto.

But most of you seem to be forgetting the golden rule of music:

THE RADIO PLAYS THE SHITTIEST CORPORATION-COCKSUCKING MUSIC OF EVERY GENRE.

There's been plenty of good music recently, but the radio isn't where you're going to find it.

---
what happened to my rustic monologue? ...i'm not sleeping with that producer again

4-16-08 6:18pm (new)

ZMannZilla
Ex-Zombie Hunting Dad Creature

Member Rated:

Scyess

I don't think I could explain in a step-by-step fashion, exactly how one could come to hate it, but that's only because I wasn't taking notes whilst in the process of hating it. Besides, it all happened so quickly that I don't think I could have written it down fast enough.

HC, I've already accepted that most, if not all radio is "top 40 crapola", however the diatribe on country music is based on my co-workers forcing me to listen to it. Had I been forced to listen to emo every Wednesday afternoon, my post would have been about girly-boy buttrock instead.

---
"He was cursed with a horrorshow of a face, like Guiseppe Archbold doing a study of mollusk tumors."

4-16-08 9:33pm (new)

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » No Country For Ol' MannZilla

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help