Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » eSwap 1.0

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Samples & Loops, Phones & Heartbreak

This first swap after the long layoff was supposed to be a warm-up, and there jes goes making his own damn music! Er, well, making someone else's music his own. Whatever!

1. Your stage name is DJ Jazzy Jes. So it is written; so it is done.

2. You could have titled this Beauty & Death because of all the beautiful tracks and the Napalm...

00 -- Ulster Television Ident
01 -- (UTV orchestra) -- The Antrim Road

Great intro! Also, scared the shit out of me earlier today when the last track faded out and then Ulster TV chimed in. Also, too, I can't see UTI without thinking of Urinary Tract Infection. You're welcome.

02 -- Mister Nick -- Axelrod Speaks
03 -- David Axelrod -- The Human Abstract

I know who David Axelrod is because he's shown up on previous jes swaps. Ace.

04 -- Pekka Pohjola -- Sekoilu Seestyy (Madness Subsides)
04a -- Midnight In A(n) (im)Perfect World

Love that first track of the pair -- not that I don't love the one after. Excellent work, jes.

05 -- Napalm Death -- The Kill
06 -- The Winstons -- Amen Brother

I've heard the Amen Break with lyrics, so glad to have this version.

06a -- N.W.A -- Straight Outta Compton

"And because I'm unobservant."

Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not, so don't feel bad, evil. Some samples I get right away and others buzz right over my dome. Great track. Whatever happened to MC Ren? Did he meet up with DJ Stimpy?

07 --  Patrick Troughton as Doctor Who
07a -- Delia Derbyshire -- ZIWZIH ZIWZIH OO-OO

I watched the Doctor back in the '80s on public television. I've seen the Tardis referenced more in the past five years than in the 20 before them.

08a -- Adele and Lionel Richie answer the phone

"Just to be clear, this track is supposed to be 11 seconds long, right?  I'm pretty sure it is."

Ha, I thought this one was going to be longer -- like a conversation. Then Homer jumped in...

08b -- Homer Simpson and the snack related mishap

D'oh!

08c -- Robin The Fog - I Answered The Phone...

Yeah, this one is a bit weird. Started off okay and then went haywire. Might be the point with the drugs and all.

09 -- And So I Watch You From Afar - S Is For Salamander
09a -- DOOM -- Gazzillion Ear (Thom Yorke Remix)

Salamander is great -- my favorite track here. Include more of this band in all future swaps. Thanks!

What evil said about Doom and Thom except I recognized the Thom remix almost instant potatoesly. Hard to miss that stuff now that he's done Atoms For Peace and such.

10 -- Ray Parker Jr. / Will Smith / jes_lawson -- The Fresh Ghostbuster of Bel-Air

Who listens to Ghostbusters and thinks a chipmunked Fresh Prince song would go with it? Jes Lawson, that's who!

11 -- Drew Fairweather -- Making Beats In The Studio With Charles

Charles Barkley? Charles M. Schulz? I like what they did here.

11a -- Glenn Campbell -- Wichita Lineman

"This seems like it's probably a classic, but I hadn't heard it before."

Love this one, too. Last year I played it for the guys at work (both older than me), and they'd never heard it before. Those strings gets me; the whole thing is sad beautiful.

12 -- Napalm Death - Deceiver
13 -- Guy Mitchell -- Heartache by The Numbers

Was waiting for Don Gibson's "Sea of Heartbreak" to sneak it's way into this mix. Instead, I was napalmed to death. :)

14 -- Sufjan Stevens -- Casimir Pulaski Day

Remember when Sufjan was going to release an album of themed songs for each of the 50 US states? Yeah, he probably doesn't either. I seldom have patience for hippie type music -- can't stand Deerhoof, Fleet Foxes or Devandra Bernhardt, for example.

Sufjan, however, radiates a certain warmth and realness that resonates with me. Or maybe it's the banjo. Either way, great pick from a great album.

15 -- Travis -- The Cage
16 -- Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game

The Travis song is growing on me, but it either sounds too much like Elliott Smith or The Beatles for comfort (ironic, huh?).

I think it's Amy's delivery that gets me, and I happen to like that "smoke-filled" room vibe in small doses. I still don't own any of her stuff, but I like everything of hers I've heard, so I'll dive in at some point. Had no idea she was anorexic. I just assumed the drink and drugs did her in.

17 --  M.I.A. / Adele / The Clash / jes_lawson -- Send My Love To You On A Paper Plane

"I don't think I've heard any of these songs before, which leaves me free to regard this as the authoritative version of them.  I love it."

I've heard all of these before, and I almost feel the same. "Straight to Hell" by The Clash is damned good on its own, though. My wife wanted the Adele song as her ringtone (briefly); otherwise, I wouldn't have heard that one.

18 -- Napalm Death --  Dead (pt1.)

"An instant classic."

Agreed.

77 -- Duke Special -- Love is a Series of Scars
99 -- ...

"Another one where I have to turn the volume way up to hear anything."

Had a little problem with volume earlier in the mix, but this one came through well for me. Been listening in the car; don't know if that makes any difference. Sorry about your bird, jes.

[hr]

If this was rushed, I'd hate to see what you'd do with a little time on your hands! Great mixes from you and evil d. As I said earlier, I thought this eSwap might be a little rough, but you guys have answered the bell so far.

I know TheGov always has good stuff to offer, so we have that to look forward to, as well. Haven't heard crap from not_Scyess, so who knows. Bryce just says he's busy, so we'll give him more time.

I have an idea for the future of the eSwap, but I'm going to post it below this, so please read and let me know what guys you think about the idea...

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

2-21-17 10:59pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Future of the eSwap?

Why don't we just keep this thing open and send each other new mixes once in a while?

Do you guys think that would be better or worse?

On the positive tip, the only real cost to sending these mixes is time. On the negative tip, if I don't remind us all that the swap is happening once in a while, we may forget.

[hr]

Continued but maybe not totally related thoughts...

Given that sc.com in general seems to have a smaller set of users than its heyday, I don't think it would be too overwhelming to just let people join in if they want to share music. We had people sign up before and not come through, so I'm not worried about that part. But I do want to continue to hear music from evil, jes and TheGov on a regular basis. And if we gather some other folks along the way, all the better.

Another negative could be the mixes taking up DropBox space, but that could be avoided by putting them up if other users ask for them specifically. Again, the smaller number of users helps here.

My reason for posting this is that I want to put up another mix this weekend, and hearing what you guys have cooked up has given me ideas for tracks I want to include on yet another mix. I just don't want to overwhelm the eSwap by frontloading. So, I'll relax and wait a while on the third one. No big deal.

[hr]

Thanks for reading.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

2-21-17 11:12pm (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

I'm not philosophically opposed to the idea of an open-ended swap, but I know that without some kind of pressure, I'll never actually deliver anything.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

2-22-17 7:51am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

The motion carries.

umfumdisi

Wikipedia has surprisingly little on him since the '90s, but apparently he released an album in 2009 and is maybe working on another one?

umfumdisi

John Linnell of They Might Be Giants put out an album called State Songs, but it only covers 15 states, and it might be a stretch to say that all of them are "about" those states.  (I haven't actually heard the album, and I'm a little surprised to see that it's fairly pricey on Amazon.)

umfumdisi

I copied a Fleet Foxes album from a friend, didn't really like it, but kept it on my computer for years because apparently I am some kind of digital hoarder.  I'm happy to report that I finally deleted it within the past month or so.

---

2-22-17 8:09am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

A very brief semi-live review of umfum's Solar Flair, as I listened to it in work a few days ago.

1 - Space age, even for a track that must be 50 odd years old.  We begin our voyage...
2 - Love this.  Love Mercury Rev.  Beautiful. 
3 - I was expecting something very different when I saw it was Ladytron! 
4 - Classic Rock and Roll.  Do we get comets in between Venus and Earth?  No matter, Bill Hayley is one far-out cosmic dude :-)
5 - Ah, you can't beat a bit of Rush.  Canada's finest prog rockers.  Oh, just noticed they were signed to the Moon and Mercury record labels too, fitting!
6 - I'm usually a Bon Iver fan but this didn't grab me, probably the only track I didn't enjoy 100%, but then I probably need to relisten a few times...
7 - Oh I reckon this is easily my favourite given the departure of Mr. Ziggy Stardust for the next dimension last year.  Absolute class, absolutely fantastic arrangement, love it!
8 & 9 - Wouldn't be an umfum swap without some great jazz!  2 very different artists but great fun. 
10 - Nice.  Reminds me of Elbow or Damian Rice, or some of the Irish artists I used to listen to when I lived in Dublin. 
11 - Glitchy experimental electronica, right up my street!  I'm not a huge fan of Bjórk but I enjoy her in small doses, and her trademark craziness just adds excellence to this bleep festival.  Our starship is sending encrypted messages...
12 - I remember laughing at a really bad Voivod video back in the early 90s - this however, is nothing short of epic.  Overdramatic, but epic.  To infinity, and beyond...
13 - O.K... The Black Hole...I get it... I should have seen this coming since it's Parliament. Innuendo and out the other, compressed into a singularity of groovy P-Funk.
14 - I am a big fan of all sorts of old 70s, 80's synth music and this is bang on what I love listening to of an evening.  Oh wait... it's turning into glitch step! Our cosmic journey's getting an realtime update uploaded from our nearest star!  Possible joint favourite!
15 - And some pretty sweet prog rock to finish our journey into the unknown.  Fitting lyrics.

And beyond..?

I would have added this track as a hidden bonus - If I haven't played it before on a previous swap: Dave Clarke - NGC 3628
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc8DpnHoero  Think that's one of the most distant globular clusters there is, or was, anyway in 1996...

Another great work from Mr. umfumdisi.  Interstellar even.  I reckon there's definitely more music to share and explore in online collaborations, but we'll come to that when everyone's finished this one, but for sure I am on for more tune swapping online.

evil_d is up next and I noticed TheGovernor has uploaded something so yes, eeeexcellent, more tunes....  Gov - you might need to do something or share something or send a password or something; I confess I am very poor with Dropbox as I can see you've uploaded but not what you've uploaded!

I'll read your reviews and comments on my mix soon, had a quick browse and thanks for the feedback, all will be explained, but back to Earth for now...  Over and Out.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

3-03-17 8:25am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Hey so I finally managed to sort my mix out. I've pinged it currently to Umfum, Jes and evil_d as I have their emails 

Bryce, Scyess, et al, could you ping me a pm with your d-box email and I'll share it out.

Password to the zip is 12345 , which is amazing as I have the same combination on my luggage. 

3-09-17 3:31pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Downloaded and extracted Gov's tracks last night; should have time for a listen over the weekend.

---

3-10-17 7:26am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Listened a couple of times so far.  First impression is that this is a pretty swinging mix.  Screamin' Jay Hawkins is an early favorite.

---

3-13-17 8:12am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

TheGovernor wrote:

Password to the zip is 12345 , which is amazing as I have the same combination on my luggage. 

*opens luggage* ah, boxer briefs; well then

[hr]

DLed the tracks and spied the tracklist. Looks groovy. Glad to see Tame Impala on there -- haven't heard much of their stuff. Saw some familiar stones to guide my way -- Glad ;) about that.

I won't get to listen until later. We're heading out of town for several days, and I need to be asleep...right now.

Thanks, Guv!

---

3-14-17 9:31pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

As for the e(ternal)swapshine of the spotless pants sisterhood, I guess we'll stick with a concentrated group effort with announced happenings for future swaps. That way we'll get off our collective (soul) duffs and actually do something rather than relying on random swap postings.

I'll be the ringleader unless someone gets the itchy swap urge before whatever time I start one again. Let's just aim for July.

That said, keep your swappages handy in case some lonely fool wants to join our crew and harkens to hear tales and wonders of swaps past. We'll pass them a cup o' grog and sing sea shanties 'til the wenches drop their panties!

[In some form of English, I mean keep your stuff in DropBox if possible in case somebody wants to join the swap and hear the previous tracklists. If you can't do that because of space, no prob, we'll fix it up somehow.]

Ok, I'm really gone now. G'night.

---

3-14-17 9:43pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

1.  Hey Gov, can you ping me the password for your mix?

2.  I could easily have created 4 CDs on the themes of samples, loops and telephones outright.  I haven't shared music with folks in... well... a very long time. 

It turned into a bit of a skit-fest what with the Simpsons and Robin The Fog answering the phone while on drugs making an appearance, but the original intention was to make this a live mix, akin to one of my old radio shows or podcasts. 

The heartache kind of reflects my new job programming software for cardiac science, but also for, halfway through compiling this mix, we lost one little bird who was never meant to fly... so... sorry if it got a bit maudlin...

I reckon I'll be back in the groove by July  - If anyone has any requests let me know.  More ASIWYFA can happen.  I could probably do two CDs worth of music by then.

umfum is more than welcome, nay , positively unanimously elected, to call the ball on the dates and format.

Digging the dang out of evil_d's mix, full review later.

Meantime Gov's password would be handy...

---

3-23-17 5:19am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

jes_lawson

Don't know what to say about that, but hopefully "sorry" will do.

jes_lawson

It's a few posts up in this thread.

Still listening to (and enjoying) Gov's mix, but haven't started compiling my thoughts yet.

---

3-23-17 8:14am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Cool - will check. 

Thanks folks, I'm... I'm OK with things now...

Also further comments - Yep, Amy Winehouse didn't do herself any favours with the drink and the drugs but if you habitually don't eat for a long time, fall off the wagon and nail a quarter bottle of vodka, that's what did her in :-(   But what a voice...

Oh and Duke Special's wife was at Art College with my ex.  She's great and Peter is a very talented dude.  I'll hoik a bunch of NI and Irish artists on the next swap in July.

Oh also re: all the Napalm Death short tracks - easter Eggs for brycekain :-)  Is he still taking part?

Also, thanks for tolerating my mashups!

---

3-24-17 7:10am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

I feel like it's time I stopped procrastinating on this, so here you go.

[hr] 

Assume the Position

01 Assume the Position - Lafayette Gilchrist

Kind of a weird title for an instrumental song.  Is there a story behind it?

02 Just What I Need - Nikki & the Corvettes
03 The Cat with the Cream - Belle & Sebastian
04 Bad Habits - The Last Shadow Puppets

One of my favorites in here.  Pretty rockin'.

05 The Less I Know the Better - Tame Impala

Love the rhymes in this one -- the way they commit to it even when it's slightly awkward -- and the trippy, bouncy music.

06 In the Mirror - Field Music

This sounds so much like Sebadoh that I looked the band up on Wikipedia to see if there was any overlap between the groups' members.  But there doesn't seem to be.  Anyway, I like this song for the same reasons that like Sebadoh.  Sort of a plaintive proto-emo rock song.

07 Itty Bitty Pretty One - Screaming Jay Hawkins

This is pretty great.  I was about to ask why more musicians don't just shout nonsense during their songs... then I realized that a lot of them do.

08 The English Ruse - Gaz Coombes

I like this song, one of my favorites in the list, but I kind of have the feeling that there's some message in it that I'm missing.

09 What Exactly Have you Done? - King Creosote
10 Politics in America - Bill Hicks
11 James K. Polk - They Might Be Giants

Always enjoy some TMBG.

12 JFK + Defector - Muse

I like some Muse songs, but this one is weird.  The teenage-rebellion lyrics are an odd fit for their usual "everything is epic all the time" aesthetic.

13 F10-D-A - Ben Folds with yMusic

I'm beginning to suspect that there's some innuendo in this song.  Was a little surprised to see it was Ben Folds, but maybe I shouldn't be.

14 Two Bites of Cherry - Cardiacs
15 Keep Yourself Alive (De Lane Lea Demo) - Queen

Normally I don't understand what all the fuss is about with Queen, but I rather like this song.

16 My Mistake - Eleanor Friedberger
17 Glad - Traffic
18 Collaborations Don’t Work - Franz Ferdinand & Sparks

An anthem for anyone who hated being assigned a lab partner in high school science classes.

19 Never Get Old - David Bowie

Similar to what I said about Queen -- I don't really like or hate Bowie, but this song is alright.

20 Be Right Back - Dutch Uncles

A fitting message for the final track, especially since my music player is probably just going to start the list over at the beginning.

---

4-10-17 11:13am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Full review of evil_D's to follow, digged the heck out of it. So far Gov's mix is sounding like an indie film soundtrack. That's a good thing.

---

5-05-17 8:54am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

TheGov - Assume The Position

01. Lafayette Gilchrist - ATP -- Funkified Jazztopia. Lurve it!

02. Nikki + Corvettes - Just What I Need -- Fun pink punk.

03. Belle & Sebastian - The Cat with the Cream -- Still on the fence about this band as I haven't heard anything by them that has really stirred me, but this song is growing on me, so we shall see. I'm just now getting into Genesis, so some bands simply take longer to register than others. Steven Wright once joked, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" That sort of sums up my attitude towards music now. There's so much stuff out there that I know I'd like, but I can't listen to everything. I don't have room for it all in my mind/heart/soul.

04. Last Shadow Puppets - Bad Habits -- See, this is an example of the above. I never would have heard of this if not for the swap, but I really like it. Short and to the point with great orchestration.

05. Tame Impala - The Less I Know the Better -- Many Radiohead fans seem to like this band, as well. So far, I haven't heard much of their stuff, but I intend to listen to more, and I do like this one pretty well.

06. Field Music - In the Mirror -- This one seems a bit more lo-fi, which I tend to equate with higher integrity for some reason. It's pretty basic, but I really like it - reminds me of Wire just a bit.

07. Screaming Jay Hawkins - Itty Bitty Pretty -- F'in classic.

08. Gaz Coombes - The English Ruse -- I'm going to say I like this better than Supergrass as I was never really able to get fully into them, but this track really does it for me. Thanks.

09. King Creosote - What Exactly Have You Done? -- Sounds good, but not overwhelmingly so.

10. Bill Hicks - Politics in America -- Spot on, as usual.

11. TMBG - James K. Polk -- This is funny, because Tennesse is one state where JKP is pretty well known and celebrated. Still, he is overlooked even though he accomplished much during a critical time in US history.

12. Muse - JFK + Defector -- I like Muse, but Drlones struck me as a bit too self-reductive when I first heard it. I might need to give it another go, because I do like Defector really well. Also, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't put Muse next to Queen since they are the modern-day Queen. :)

13. Ben Folds - F10-D-A -- Ben Folds is crazy brilliant.

14. Cardiacs - Two Bites of Cherry -- At first I read this artist name as Cardigans, so I was quite confused when the song started. Then I realized I was an idiot and enjoyed the wild ride. TheGov is great at finding odd songs that sound good.

15. Queen - Keep Yrslf Alive -- I like this demo because it sounds just a bit more urgent than the studio version. Someone on the Radiohead subreddit recently pointed out that the beginning of Queen's "Now I'm Here" from Sheer Heart Attack sounds similar to the beginning of Radiohead's "Palo Alto". I mostly here the similarities in the vocal parts, but both songs start out slowly and then build to something else.

16. Eleanor Friedberger - My Mistake -- It took me until the third listen to realize this was the lady from Fiery Furnaces when it should have been obvious from the beginning. My mistake. Didn't know they'd been on hiatus for six years now -- that's a long hiatus.

17. Traffic - Glad -- Ashamed to say I had to leave this song off when I made a CD copy, but that's only because it's well-known and loved around the Gable house (and it left enough room to actually make a CD), so thanks for including it. Their arrangement of "John Barleycorn (Must Die)" is one of my favorite Traffic tracks.

18. Franz Ferdinand & Sparks - Collaborations Don't Work -- Sadly, this one didn't work for me the first time. Then it got better. Then I thought it went on too long. Now I like most of it but wish it was shorter. :)

19. Bowie - Never Get Old -- Great track from an underrated album. And now tinged with sadness.

20. Dutch Uncles - Be Right Back -- This is what I always thought Franz Ferdinand should have sounded like, if that makes any sense. I really like this track, and it's a good one to end with (unlike the preposition at the end of this sentence <-- back there, not now).

[hr]

Sincere apologies to TheGov for my lateness with this review, but I've had a heck of a couple of months. Thus my absence from sc. I won't go into the boring details. Suffice to say that a deer running into my car and causing $2500 worth of damage was the least of my problems over the past two-and-a-half months. So, I have been listening to all the compilations --  just haven't had a real enough opportunity until now to sit down and write about this one. Thanks for all the great tunes, everyone. I've bolded my favorites from TheGov above.

[hr]

I must also add that the highlight of my time away from sc was seeing Radiohead live (for the first time) in Atlanta. The band was in great form, Thom sounded really good (compared to some other live dates I'd listened to online), and they played a shit-ton of songs, including ones I didn't think it was going to be possible to hear (Pyramid Song, Myxomatosis, Bodysnatchers and Subterranean Homesick Alien -- all great to me, but the last being a highly personal favorite). And now they're releasing a 20th anniversary OK Computer with bonus tracks in June. Holy shit, what a time to be alive!

---

5-14-17 9:09pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

So, I just want to go ahead and put it out there that I have two compilations ready to upload. It's basically two discs worth of music from the band Wire.

I don't know how familiar you guys are with Wire -- especially Jes and TheGov -- since they are an English band, so I'll just upload the zips and send invites. You can get them or not. No big deal.

This isn't an official swap. I just wanted to put them out there. I have something else in mind for the next swap. But Wire has created a lot of diverse music over their 40-year history, and I want to share my favorites with you guys.

Lastly, jes mentioned July as a swapportunity, and that seems fine. I'll likely announce the next one in late June so we'll have some new music to enjoy in the summertime (when the weather is hot -- according to Mungo Jerry).

---

5-14-17 9:24pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

It's cold in July.

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

5-23-17 2:47am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Thanks umfum! I saw you uploaded some new material, so I started compiling more track lists. July is a grand time for the next swap but as I'll be on holiday avoiding silly season here,  it'll be start of July from me. Got a theme for one, the other will just be a whole bunch of music I like.

Also I need to pull my finger out and write my appreciation for Gov and evil_D's swaps. 

PS dcom, July in AU's is practically what we call taps aff weather here :p

---

5-23-17 11:47am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

dcomposed wrote:

It's cold in July.

Dang backwards, upside-down Aussies.

[hr]

In other news, I'll post something this weekend. dcomposed is in!

---

7-10-17 10:16pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Apologies for not getting my Gov and evil_d reviews in, I've been laid up with a back injury for the last 6 weeks

But you can expect a cross between an e swap and a radio show in my next mix, and I've to try and  mop my floor before Monday if I am to avoid eviction

But music keeps me hoing, um.

. going. If you have requests, send 'em in ! 

---

7-13-17 11:32am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Solar Flare
Really love the theme to this mix, you could say it’s out of this world -(boom-tish)

Set Controls for the Heart of the Sun - Pink Floyd
Very cool version  (where did you get it from? I was under the impression the album version is 5 or so minutes, this version is very cool though).

Holes - Mercury Rev
Listened to this and thought that’s very Flaming Lips like, so no surprise to read up that there’s a bit of intermingling there with the same producer. Enjoyable track.

Ladytron - The Venus in Furs
Haven’t seen Velvet Goldmine, but have added it to my to-watch list. Prefer this version to the original now.

Razzle Dazzle - Bill Haley and his Comets
Timeless.

Earthshine - Rush
Hits me right up the proverbials.  Rush are a band I’ve always wanted to dig into the back catalogue of.

Moon Water - Bon Iver
Not overly keen on this, but it’s alright.

Life on Mars - The Bad Plus
Since you were the one who introduced me to the Bad Plus a few swaps ago I’ll just say cheers again.  I bought Prog shortly after that swap, and this is a favourite.

By Jupiter - Dave Brubeck Quartet
Loved this.  Pushed all the right buttons.

Saturn - Sun Ra
Ditto.

Neptune - Sleeping at Last
Digging the mellow vibe of this.

Pluto - Bjork
Got a lot of time for that wee Icelandic princess.  

Astonomy Domine - Voivod
Awesome.  If you’re going to do a cover go big or go home.  Firmly meets that criteria.

Theme from the Black Hole - Parliament
Groovy.

Alpha Centauri - Noisia
Wasn’t overly keen on this, but more a personal preference than anything.

Pleiades - King’s X
Great proggy tune to finish with.  Hadn’t been very aware of the King’s X before if I’m honest, deffo something to delve into.

7-26-17 7:43am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Evil_d   -  Genius idea for the artwork btw.

01 ROLLINS BAND Ghostrider  

Dark and dirty, rocky goodness, love it.  

02 CLUTCH Firebirds  

This is most excellent, added Clutch as something to check out

03 CAPTAIN DAN & THE SCURVY CREW Shore Leave

Wow. (in a good way).  

04 MC CHRIS Check the Ring, Yo

Not really my jam, but it’s got enough about it, and the bass undertone is very infectious.

05 WYNONIE HARRIS Grandma Plays the Numbers  

You know I was thinking when I first heard this that it would sit well on a fallout games’ soundtrack (haven’t played 4 yet). Digging it.

06 THE THRILLING ADVENTURE HOUR Trouble in My Place  

Fascinating.  Would never have guessed that it was Joshua Malina

07 THE MINT JULEP JAZZ BAND You Can’t Live in Harlem  

Now this is my jam! Give me some sweet jazz with a soft female vocal any day of the week.

08 A SKILLZ (feat Kymberly Kennedy) Dead Ringer  

This sounds like it’s going in a whole different direction and then bam.  Digging it.

09 THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS The Lady and the Tiger  

I saw TMBG live last year at a pokey little club in Newcastle, and never have I felt such a click with a band before, it was like suddenly my whole life made sense and I was at one with the universe or at least at one with the local interstellar cluster. Then the gig ended and I went back to just being me.  Bloody brilliant, do catch them live if you can.   Hadn’t heard this song before, but it’s an instant favourite.  

10 DEX DUBIOUS In Space  

This is aceness.

11 MEGA RAN & STORYVILLE (feat. Wise Intelligent) I Know Who I Am

This was alright, not my normal thing.

12 MEGA RAN (feat. D&D Sluggers) Infinite Lives

Really digging this, kind of have a thing for VG music and thought I recognised the underlying track,  or at least its inspiration.  Gotta say it’s a very catchy tune. Here's a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

13 ONE DAY AS A LION If You Fear Dying

Hadn’t heard of this post RATM collaboration before, added to my check it out pile.  

14 BUDDY WAKEFIELD Convenience Stores

I found this very enjoyable, glad you included it.   

15 SAGE FRANCIS Slow Down Gandhi

Again not my jam really, but the lyric is very good, and I appreciate rap more when they have something to say.

Awesome mix of tunes,  obvious favourites include TMBG, but really liked the second Mega Ran song, Mint Julep and the Pirate rap song (can’t wait to delve into the other ones). As with umfums I’ve got a few new things added to my listen-to pile also.

8-30-17 2:34am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

TheGovernor wrote:
09 THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS The Lady and the Tiger  

I saw TMBG live last year at a pokey little club in Newcastle, and never have I felt such a click with a band before, it was like suddenly my whole life made sense and I was at one with the universe or at least at one with the local interstellar cluster. Then the gig ended and I went back to just being me.  Bloody brilliant, do catch them live if you can.   Hadn’t heard this song before, but it’s an instant favourite.

I don't go to a lot of concerts, but I've seen TMBG three or four times. In fact I think they're the only band I've ever seen more than once.

TheGovernor wrote:
12 MEGA RAN (feat. D&D Sluggers) Infinite Lives

Really digging this, kind of have a thing for VG music and thought I recognised the underlying track,  or at least its inspiration.  Gotta say it’s a very catchy tune. Here's a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

I'm certain you're right about this, though I didn't realize it before (never played that game myself).

If you like VG music then you might be interested in a lot of Mega Ran's work, especially this album.

I'm a big fan of video game music myself.  Will see if I can dig up anything interesting for the next swap.

---

9-06-17 7:57am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

A (semi-) live review of Assume the Position
Another classic listen from The Gov.  Sorry it's taken so long to respond - bit difficult when you're strung out on back medecine.

1.  Funky stuff, found myself humming this at home.
2.  Great new wave 80s pop with punk attitude, reminds me of the Ramones.  Cracking fun. 
3.  Aah...beautiful, I really love Belle and Sebastian
4.  Had to look up who The Last Shadow Puppets were, "baroque pop",  Alex Turner from Arctic Monkeys, this could have been released 30 years ago and still sound fresh.  Epic.
5.  Niiice track - I really don't listen to enough Tame Impala.  Hall and Oates for for the 2010's, smooth but modern.
6.   Another band I don't listen to enough - crackin'
7.  Classic!  Had no idea what this tune was called even though you hear it everywhere!  Cool as!
8.  Love this - Can't beat a bit of electro-Supergrass.  Why have I no heard this?! It's killer!
9.  Haven't listened to a lot of King Creosote although I kknow the name.  Not what I expected - but very "of its era"  Reminds me of The Waterboys and some other Irish bands for some reason.  Jaunty.  Oh wait, just looked it up - he's Scottish!
10.  Nice, a little vocal break!  Good old foul mouthed George Carlin.
11.  ... and a nice segue into some topical (and history educational) TMBG.
12.  More politics from when Muse were good.  One band that you really have to see live to get the full effect.
13. HAHAHAHA!  Genius!
14. Nice!  Love a bit of offset punk spirited rock.  Might have to look up this band.
15.  This is rocking - this is the best Queen track I've never heard!  I'm guessing this is one of their early works, it lists Brian May as the composer, it certainly doesn't sound like Freddie wrote it.  This is really prog, love it.
16.  Plods along in the background but kinda brings you back every now and then.   a bit like dipping your feet in a warm sea, you get used to it and zone out, but the odd wave hits you and makes you appreciate the experience.  Reminds me of a band called Beirut.  (Might put one of their tracks on my next swap when I can)
17.  The name of the band rings a bell, it sounds like it could be a theme from a 70's sit-com like Taxi or a detective show.  Therefore, I am grooving in my chair at work to this.  Wow, this turned into a real jam!  Brilliant!
18. Heh-heh - a little a bit of wry humour.  Oddly enough I nearly ended up working for a musical collaboration website in Dublin, run by one of 10CC no less.  But I didn't.  But this is a fun and incitefully true song.
19.  The late Mr. Stardust speaks the truth.  I hate ageing, but it's part of the human condition.  I love the way the recording has the guitar and bass panned on different sides.
20.  I really dug this - Dutch Uncles remind me of MGMT, this was really groovy.  More chair rocking.

This is a compilation I can listen to repeatedly.  Why I didn't stick it on when I was laid up is beyond me.  Maybe had something to do with the stereo being out of reach when I was immobilised.

I'll aim to get something shared by end of September if not before.  Plus Evil_d is due his review, but on first listen, it was properly on point.

---

9-15-17 6:50am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » eSwap 1.0

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help