Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » Comic Cup VII: The Weakest Strip - R/T League

Author

skagg
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

i count 8 out of 14 for the son of a bitch

---
Who knows what fear lurks in the hearts of men? MIKE BOBSICO KNOWS! And if you give him a decent tip when he delivers your mail , he might tell you.

1-27-02 11:18am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Andydougan, you are the Strongest Link!

Congratulations, Andy! You made consistently good strips throughout. I'm glad that I won't be competing against you in the next Cup. You made your maw proud.

Everyone else: While Andy has collected enough votes to win, I encourage those of you who haven't voted to register your votes. Like ladyj, I think DexX doesn't deserve to be totally creamed -- so if any of you got to this point in the thread and wanted to vote for him, now is your chance.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

1-27-02 1:26pm (new)

skagg
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

do i sign up for the next one now?

---
Who knows what fear lurks in the hearts of men? MIKE BOBSICO KNOWS! And if you give him a decent tip when he delivers your mail , he might tell you.

1-27-02 1:32pm (new)

Spankling
Looking for love in ALL the wrong places, baby!

Member Rated:

Randy Spewgun!

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

1-27-02 1:57pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I'll let Andy run the signup for the next one. He may have some prerequisites for all I know. It's his Cup!

Oh, I wanted to thank you all for participating in this Cup. It was my first time running a competition of any sort on stripcreator, and I appreciate you putting up with me as I figured it out and tried to make the Weakest Strip format work.

I'm not sure if the format really did work, but in the end, the type of competition I wanted came through, I think. Andy and DexX made really good strips throughout and that got them to the final round. They weren't always the funniest strips in their round, but they were always funny, and that was the point.

I think kaufman had a chance to be in the final two, but made a real stinker in the second to last round with those awful potato puns. (In Suvivor terms, he pulled a Lex.)

Okay, it wasn't that bad.

[looks back at kaufman's strip]

Yes it was.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

1-27-02 2:36pm (new)

andydougan
Film critic subordinaire

Member Rated:

Gasp! It's me? No! Oh, wow! *flutters eyelashes*

Actually, I'm not really surprised. When you've got good looks like these, you tend to be pretty successful.

I'd like to thank all my opponents, especially those who dropped out and made things easier for the rest of us. Thanks also to everyone who voted against someone other than me each round. Looks like my Jedi mind training paid off. And most of all, thanks to fuzzyman for devising and running, in my unbiased opinion, the best Cup so far. The format was an interesting depature from the norm, and generally yielded more flexible rules than the usual tournament structure.

As for Comic Cup VIII, well, I think some of us will be glad of a short breather (plus I need a bit of time to think of the latest twist on the Cup format). I'll start a sign-up thread on Tuesday.

[Click to view comic: 'Comic Cup 7 Epilogue']

1-27-02 3:48pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

quote:
I think kaufman had a chance to be in the final two, but made a real stinker in the second to last round with those awful potato puns. (In Suvivor terms, he pulled a Lex.)

Okay, it wasn't that bad.

[looks back at kaufman's strip]

Yes it was.

You're just jealous. It was a masterpiece that will be talked about long after either of its opposing strips! :-)

Or did you really think I needed to shoehorn in that "hash brown" bit I was working on?

Anyway, for the record, put another in the DexX column.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

1-27-02 7:12pm (new)

andydougan
Film critic subordinaire

Member Rated:

Forget the Sex Offenders' Register. There should be an Incorrigible Punsters' Register.

Anyway. Recent Comic Cup hosts have tried to put a unique twist on the rules of their contests, and I have a tentative idea for how this coming one could run.

Much as I liked the Weakest Strip, I propose to return to the tournament format of yore, but I thought I'd mix in a serial comic flavour. One-on-one matches would randomly be drawn up for the first round, which I would kick off by writing the first strip of a serial. Both of the competitors "at bat" would then write alternative continuations to the story, which would also comply with a given rule (I'd make the rules for the first round, while ousted competitors make the rules for the second, third and final rounds). The other contestants then vote on which continuation is better. The winner goes through to the next round, and their winning strip is continued by the next pair whose turn it is. The last pair in the round conclude the story, and I start a new one in round two (and then another in round three, and the final round).

So, assuming we get sixteen players, the first serial would be nine strips long (the eight winning contestants' strips plus my intro), the second five strips long, the third three, and the final two. As well as hopefully being an entertaining contest, this will result in four serial comics which, in theory, don't have as many duff episodes as usual.

Was that in any way intelligible? And if so, would anyone be interested in competing in such a tournament, or does it sound like needlessly complicated rubbish? Lay it on me!

1-28-02 7:29am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

That is scary, I just had that idea yesterday, when I was trying to think of other quiz show formats that would fit comic contests.

1-28-02 7:55am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I like it.

You could continue the serial from round to round rahter than having multiple serials. That way the winner will be the one who concludes the whole shebang.

I'd also suggest having contestants send their rules to you as the price of admission to the contest. Otherwise you'll be waiting for people to submit rules as the contest goes on. Hey, you can learn from my mistakes.

---

1-28-02 2:53pm (new)

andydougan
Film critic subordinaire

Member Rated:

Hmm. I considered that, but thought the story might get stale. All the good ideas could get used up. But I dunno, maybe your way would be better after all.

Point noted about obtaining the rules at the start, though.

1-28-02 6:11pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

A window in the sky opens, and an unshaven, scruffy-looking Australian falls out of it.

Can't stay long - using ^TooL^'s PC.

That was a well-deserved victory, Andy. You made kick-arse strips throughout the competition, including at least one which I consider to be an absolute SC.com classic. Sorry my last strip was not worthy of your competition. *blush*

For those who give a shit, the moving is all done, the keys to the old place have been handed back, and the long, obnoxious process of unpacking all those fucking boxes has begun. My 28th birthday was something of an anticlimax, unfortunately, spent cleaning the old house and carrying shit out to the car. Oh, I also smashed the guttering off the side of the new neighbours' house with the rented truck. Did I mention the new neighbour is also our new landlord? Wheeee...

Anyway, three days until the cable is connected. I will see you all again. Bye for now.

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

2-01-02 8:53am (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » Comic Cup VII: The Weakest Strip - R/T League

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests