Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » Comic Cup IX Sign-up

Author

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

Another option is to randomly draw for a By each round. (And if someone was the By last round, they aren't in the drawing this round.) Or draw for a 3-person battle each round.

Well, for 17, that would work anyway. For 19 (or more) you'd need either multiple By's or a couple of 3-person battles each round, or some combination.

That's damn cool. What are you having the code do? Randomly select contestants? Or does VB.NET actually let the prog post to the site?

I took VB for the first time last semester and now enjoy programming so much, I realize I should have been a computer engineering major instead of an aerospace one.

---
I ate a hooker half a bottle of knife.

6-06-02 2:27pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

wirthling
supercalifragilisticexpialadosucks

Member Rated:

Actually, VB.NET can blow me. I spent a couple hours last night trying to work with it, and there are so many changes between VB6 and VB.NET that it was pretty much an exercise in futility. I'm going to need to do some research before I can figure out how to tie in to databases or read/write from/to text files using VB.NET.

For now, I decided to slap this bitch up in VB6. I only have a "Learning Edition" of VB6, which means I can't compile the code into an executable, but I can still run the code from within the development environment. That'll do for now. (Of course, coding anything is not necessary for this cup, but I'm a big, fat dork and I greatly enjoy programming in VB now.)

The program I'm writing takes all the participants and randomizes their order. (Once I have the final list and randomize it, I'll get rid of the randomizing subroutine.) Then, the names get fed into the bracket. I'm using text files to save the seedings and match results. I'll post screenshots of the program.

The way I decided to handle the overflow of participants is to have an extra "qualifying" round at the beginning. If x = the total number of participants, then 16 - ((x - 16) * 2) people will get byes. Whether you get a bye or have to participate in the qualifying round is determined by your position in the randomized seeding.

Ha, ha!

---
"And Wirthling isn't worth the paper he isn't printed on."

6-06-02 4:40pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

If we can get twenty-four, we can have each first-round match a three way battle, leaving eight for the second round.

Hmmm?

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

6-06-02 8:57pm (new)

crabby
I have an awesome avatar.

Member Rated:

1. dcomposed
2. DexX
3. lara7
4. Namgubed
5. Scyess
6. ObiJo
7. Kramer_vs_Etc
8. That Welsh Gimp
9. Kajun "Can Eat an Apple Through a Tennis Racket" Firefly
10. Fuzzyman
11. kaufman
12. TheBlairZip
13. Big Evil Dan
14. Ranma X.
15. pita
16. andydougan
17. Kevin Keegans Perm
18. ok bitch's im back!!
19. TheElPaso
20. crabby

6-06-02 9:27pm (new)

Bazilla
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

With twenty we could have 4 groups of 5, making it last a lot longer, a lot more rules, and everyone gets to make at least 4 comics, then the top of each group can go into the semi finals.

---
I am not 16 going on not 17, I know that I'm naive.

6-07-02 12:28am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

I've already sunk some time into coding this thing, so unless we get 32, I'm going with the qualifier round idea. Suffer.

---

6-07-02 12:45am (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

That makes it doubly bad our times didn't work out for your trip to Arizona. I just got the enterprise edition from a friend. I could have burned it for you.

Thanks.

Shouldn't that be x - ((x-16)*2)? Or maybe just ((x-16) * 2), or shit, I don't know. I just know that if x = 30 players, you'd be giving out -12 byes.

Maybe you can get away with that kind of shit in Maryland, pal, but you try to give me a negative bye, I'll punch you right in the kisser!

---
I ate a hooker half a bottle of knife.

6-07-02 3:58am (new)

Kevin_Keegans_Perm
Bean There, Done That

Member Rated:

If we have 20 , im all for having 4 groups of five , and having each person play the other people in their group once.

And the 4 group winners (who will be the most consistently funny strippers) will then meet in 2 semi finals and a final.

---
"Life Sucks, Then you Die. The bit inbetween isnt very funny either"

6-07-02 7:28am (new)

andydougan
Film critic subordinaire

Member Rated:

That would take forever, and people with short concentration spans would get bored with the big gaps between their matches. My vote, if I had one, would go to the qualification round idea.

6-07-02 7:44am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

Shouldn't that be x - ((x-16)*2)? Or maybe just ((x-16) * 2), or shit, I don't know. I just know that if x = 30 players, you'd be giving out -12 byes.

Maybe you can get away with that kind of shit in Maryland, pal, but you try to give me a negative bye, I'll punch you right in the kisser!

Um, yeah, shoulda said x - ((x - 16) * 2). I blame the media.

Anyway, it looks like we have 20, which means that 12 people get byes while the other 8 people compete for the other 4 spots in the round of 16.

I was intending to go with the original one-on-one format for this cup--i.e. the qualifier round with 8 participants consists of 4 matches, the round of 16 has 8 matches, the round of 8 has 4 matches, and so on. Or will ya'll get too bored waiting for your matches that way? I was trying to avoid the survivor-style melee of the last couple cups, but I suppose I can try to do it that way if that's what the unwashed masses want.

---

6-07-02 8:56am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

By the way, where's JiminyCricketNate? He must've gotten grounded for surfing pagan web sites or something.

---

6-07-02 9:02am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

Thanks, but I think I'm going to try to fight my way through VB.NET since it's the new thing and we'll all be expected to use it in the coming years, thanks to Herr Gates. *sigh* VB6 seems so intuitive. VB.NET is quite the opposite.

---

6-07-02 9:08am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

Here's what the brackets look like now:

If more people sign up, I'll rerandomize and rework the brackets. Also, if the popular demand is for multiple-participant matches intead of one-on-one, I'll rework the brackets accordingly.

---

6-07-02 9:17am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Uh, why is Scyess in two places?

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

6-07-02 9:27am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

Shut up, you.

Oy. I must have had Scyess listed twice in the text file I'm reading from. Looks like fuzzyman was the unfortunate victim. I'll fix that and rerandomize.

---

6-07-02 9:34am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

Hmmm. Scyess was in there only once. There appears to be a bug in my code. I'll work on it.

---

6-07-02 9:36am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Pure talent.

---

6-07-02 9:44am (new)

Kevin_Keegans_Perm
Bean There, Done That

Member Rated:

Excellent work

And may i say that Crabby v Fuck is one of those "Dream matches" in the same way as "Tyson v Ali" or "Tiger Woods v Jack Nicklaus"

---
"Life Sucks, Then you Die. The bit inbetween isnt very funny either"

6-07-02 10:02am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Pauly Shore vs Carrot Top?

---

6-07-02 10:15am (new)

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

Damn it, I was looking forward to competing with myself in the final round.

Oh, well.

---
"Old" is the old new.

6-07-02 10:31am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I appear to be missing.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

6-07-02 10:41am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Ah, never mind. I see where wirthling caught it.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

6-07-02 10:42am (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

Fuck sake, by the looks of things I'll actually beat my own record and go out BEFORE Round 1. :-(

---
Dad was flammable

6-07-02 10:52am (new)

wirthling

Member Rated:

Thanks to kaufman and his big, fat, stupid mouth, I need to rework things and I'll have to randomize the seedings again, so ignore the brackets I posted earlier. (I was excited about the crabby vs. fuck match, too.)

---

6-07-02 11:03am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

I was excited about having a bye, then facing Bazilla.

*sigh*

---

6-07-02 11:09am (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » Comic Cup IX Sign-up

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help