Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » CC 31

Author

PoKeE
Stripcreator Newbie

quote:

PS: It is pronounced 'zed'. Silly Americans.

Zed's dead, baby.

5-23-01 2:58am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

"...of my correcting his grammar." Gerund.

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-23-01 8:32am (new)

Fracture
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: 'Comic Contest #31 I'll take sodomy for 200$']

Ok I messed up the 1st time. It met all the rules but I didn't use a prop. Granted there is no Donkey sodomy in t his one but I did use every letter int he alphabet at least once in there without resorting to using any oddball words, that should count for something :P

5-23-01 9:18am (new)

MatthewEastaugh
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

*big alarm goes off at my house*

I got here as fast as I could.. I've just heard that someone in this here thread insulted the British. Grr. I'm all angry now. Fear my unrelenting wrath, mere comic writer... RAAAAARRR!

*thwack*

Whoops, who put that door there? Try again... RAAAARRRR!!!

---
MatthewEastaugh | He wanders.

5-23-01 11:10am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Actually, it depends... (Please for give the paraphrasing - it's for brevity and simplicity.)

"My boyfriend is sick of me correcting him."
In this sentence, you could argue that the phrase "me correcting him" is a noun, as in, "Here is a photo of me correcting him." "Correcting" in this context is not a gerund (a verb made into a noun by adding -ing, for those who don't know) but a participle verb.

"My boyfriend is sick of my correcting him."
On the other hand, the "my" is an adjective describing "correcting". Since, as you pointed out, "correcting" in this context is a gerund, "correcting him" is ungrammatical, since they are both nouns (well, a noun and a pronoun).

By my linguistic reckoning, if you want to put the "my" in there, the sentence should be this:

"My boyfriend is sick of my correction of him."

...or, in the phraseology of the original quote:

"My boyfriend is very, very sick of my correction of his grammar."

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

5-23-01 11:49am (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

[ Posted comic does not exist ]

---
I wanted my half in the middle and I wound up on the edge.

5-23-01 12:33pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

Or, "...of me, correcting his grammar." Either way, I was wrong. Thank you.

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

5-23-01 1:06pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

Actually, it depends... (Please for give the paraphrasing - it's for brevity and simplicity.)

In this sentence, you could argue that the phrase "me correcting him" is a noun, as in, "Here is a photo of me correcting him." "Correcting" in this context is not a gerund (a verb made into a noun by adding -ing, for those who don't know) but a participle verb.

"My boyfriend is sick of my correcting him."
On the other hand, the "my" is an adjective describing "correcting". Since, as you pointed out, "correcting" in this context is a gerund, "correcting him" is ungrammatical, since they are both nouns (well, a noun and a pronoun).

By my linguistic reckoning, if you want to put the "my" in there, the sentence should be this:

"My boyfriend is sick of my correction of him."

...or, in the phraseology of the original quote:

"My boyfriend is very, very sick of my correction of his grammar."

Or that. :)

---

5-23-01 1:09pm (new)

Scyess

Member Rated:

quote:
In this sentence, you could argue that the phrase "me correcting him" is a noun, as in,
...blah blah blah blah & so on by DexX.

By saying "my boyfriend is sick of me correcting him," she's saying that her boyfriend is sick of HER, and (on an unrelated or loosely related note) she's correcting him. Whether you want the -ing form of "correct" to be a gerund or a participle, she's still guilty at least of a dangling modifier. Hang her!

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-23-01 1:50pm (new)

Scyess

Member Rated:

So does this make me your boyfriend? 8)

Actually, I kind of regret this whole string. I gave up being an active grammar pedant a long time ago because people (including myself) hate people like that. I just enjoyed the ironic fun of correcting that particular sentence. 8)

And, on an unrelated note, I haven't entered this contest yet because I'm illiterate and don't know the entire alphabet.

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-23-01 1:52pm (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

This is the weirdest fucking sidetrack since that whole volatile dictionary debate. I blame DexX for both. No, check that. I blame gabe. No real reason other than precedent.

For all you grammar freaks out there, tell me what this sentence doesn't not not say:

I don't not object to your reverse argument of the fact that no one can not truly not know those that did not not raise them.

---
I ate a hooker half a bottle of knife.

5-23-01 2:25pm (new)

NeoVid
Stripcreator Irregular

Member Rated:

quote:
I got here as fast as I could.. I've just heard that someone in this here thread insulted the British. Grr. I'm all angry now. Fear my unrelenting wrath, mere comic writer... RAAAAARRR!
quote:

That was me. I know I'm a few contests late for limey-bashing, but it was funny.

Also, I'm part Irish and part black, and none of us like the bastard English.

And being black/Irish, I could drink you under the table any day, sassenach.

---
"Only things I approve of should exist." -some guy on the internet

5-23-01 3:16pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

No, but grammar pedantry always gets me a little randy. I thank you for that. :D

quote:

Actually, I kind of regret this whole string. I gave up being an active grammar pedant a long time ago because people (including myself) hate people like that. I just enjoyed the ironic fun of correcting that particular sentence. 8)

While it's true that most people hate grammar pedants, I tend not to mind so much. Intelligence is sexy. Once intelligence is established, however, frequent correction is just fucking annoying.

quote:

And, on an unrelated note, I haven't entered this contest yet because I'm illiterate and don't know the entire alphabet.

You're a very specialized idiot savant. You could get on Letterman.

---

5-23-01 3:17pm (new)

wirthling
supercalifragilisticexpialadosucks

Member Rated:

I couldn't come with any funny ideas, so here's this instead...

[Click to view comic: 'CC31 - When in doubt, use the dog on a ball...']

---
"And Wirthling isn't worth the paper he isn't printed on."

5-23-01 3:26pm (new)

gabe_billings
President and CEO of Wirthlingsux Inc.

Member Rated:

quote:
This is the weirdest fucking sidetrack since that whole volatile dictionary debate. I blame DexX for both. No, check that. I blame gabe. No real reason other than precedent.

For all you grammar freaks out there, tell me what this sentence doesn't not not say:

I don't not object to your reverse argument of the fact that no one can not truly not know those that did not not raise them.

I'll tell you what it means. You're a dick. I think you and wirthling are the same person, since I've grown to loathe you both equally. Since there isn't that much hate in the world for two separate entities, you ergo are one.

I rest my case.

Now I know it'll be easier to blow you up since you're in the same spot.

---
100 pounds of shit in a 25 pound sack.

5-23-01 4:13pm (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

quote:

It'd be cooler if you were black/Russian.

---

5-23-01 4:15pm (new)

MatthewEastaugh
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

quote:
That was me. I know I'm a few contests late for limey-bashing, but it was funny.

It wasn't funny! I'm not a bastard! And why would you want to drink ME under the table? I don't taste very nice.

*boom boom*

Ouch. That hurts. Anyway, yes. I agree entirely. Now what was the question?

---
MatthewEastaugh | He wanders.

5-23-01 4:27pm (new)

Scyess

Member Rated:

Grammar pedants don't show any sign of intelligence... they just show signs of being able to memorize a bunch of rules and apply them to sentence patterns they encounter. Oh, and they also show signs of being left alone at parties.

quote:

You're a very specialized idiot savant. You could get on Letterman.
"Next, on Stupid Idiot Savant Tricks..."

And I, being Chinese/Jewish, might not be able to drink you under the table but I'd sure as hell make sure you bought the drinks.

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-23-01 4:31pm (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

quote:
1a) If the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, he'd better have a *really* funny reason for doing it.

I just wanted to mention that this was really funny.

quote:

It's pretty wide open, so no excuses!

I just wanted to mention that this sounds like Obi's mom.

---

5-23-01 4:37pm (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

This one is dedicated to all my dead homies.

[Click to view comic: 'CC 31 - Live From Las Vegas!']

---

5-23-01 4:39pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

quote:

Well, the two nots in paragraph two cancel out (they were tied into a slipnot), so what we have left is a request to report what paragraph three doesn't say.

To enumerate that fully, of course, is left as an exercise for the interested reader.

==Ken

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

5-23-01 7:44pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Sigh, I guess I'll have to remove my others from contest consideration if this one is funnier. If nothing else it's timelier. And to those of you on the West Coast still watching it, sorry about the spoilers. But then you probably won't read this for another two hours anyway. Screw the Temporal Prime Directive!

[Click to view comic: 'CC31: So long and thanks for all the subspace anomalies']

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

5-23-01 8:11pm (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

Damn, you're on to us. I mean me. It was just a master plan to fuck with anyone geeky enough to set up an email address for his dog. Nothing personal, you see. Your name just happened to come up first.

quote:
Well, the two nots in paragraph two cancel out (they were tied into a slipnot), so what we have left is a request to report what paragraph three doesn't say.

To enumerate that fully, of course, is left as an exercise for the interested reader.

Well, since I was asking for what it didn't say, you could write just about anything and be right. For instance it didn't say gabe wets himself when thinking about the cookie monster. Likewise, it didn't say gabe plays with himself when watching Starsky and Hutch. But both answers are acceptable. Not societally acceptable, granted, but acceptable nonetheless.

---
I ate a hooker half a bottle of knife.

5-23-01 9:45pm (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

I can't help it if they're so hot. And so flaming.

This is a picture of Starsky contemplating pounding that wooden stake into his partner's ass with a mallet.

---

5-24-01 3:28am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Sorry, I still disagree...

What we have here is a sentence in the form "My boyfriend is sick of ." I argue that the phrase "me correcting him" behaves as a noun in this context, in the same way as the noun in this: "Gabe Billings is aroused by ." can be filled by a phrase such as "wirthling sodomising pack-animals". By your argument, that sentence would mean that Gabe is simply aroused by wirthling, and we all know that is just not the case.

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

5-24-01 11:10am (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » CC 31

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help