Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » DALLAS WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Author

DragonXero
I'm Here, You're Queer, Get Used to it

Member Rated:

I remember when I posted a shitty, tasteless comic based on a tragedy.
It was not recieved well, and I apologized wholeheartedly for it.
I thought it was funny at the time. Then I found out how fucking serious it was.
On the other hand, a space shuttle EXPLODING is not funny, in any way. Before 9/11, a plane crashing into a building might have been construed as funny. I had no idea what had really happened, I thought it was some moron pilot who got his bearings wrong and hit the building. For all I really knew, there was one fatality, and it probably could have been added to the Darwin awards. Then shit went down, and I apologized, repeatedly, individually, and very sincerely.

Astronauts put their lives on the line every time they step into one of those 30-year old rust-buckets with pringles for chips and black & white TVs for monitors. Even if the mission isn't important, every man and woman who has ever strapped him/herself into a flaming casket of death to go hopping around in space has earned my undying respect, and more so for the ones who've given their lives to further our understanding of the world around us.
This loss was even greater than challenger. It was a multicultural event, people from many backgrounds coming together to strap themselves into a flying death machine. That takes balls.
Unlike the juvenile comics above, which merely take a few stray brain cells and a desire to fuck up once more.

---
Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants.

2-11-03 9:32am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

quote:
I remember when I posted a shitty, tasteless comic based on a tragedy.
It was not recieved well, and I apologized wholeheartedly for it.
I thought it was funny at the time. Then I found out how fucking serious it was.
On the other hand, a space shuttle EXPLODING is not funny, in any way. Before 9/11, a plane crashing into a building might have been construed as funny. I had no idea what had really happened, I thought it was some moron pilot who got his bearings wrong and hit the building. For all I really knew, there was one fatality, and it probably could have been added to the Darwin awards. Then shit went down, and I apologized, repeatedly, individually, and very sincerely.

Astronauts put their lives on the line every time they step into one of those 30-year old rust-buckets with pringles for chips and black & white TVs for monitors. Even if the mission isn't important, every man and woman who has ever strapped him/herself into a flaming casket of death to go hopping around in space has earned my undying respect, and more so for the ones who've given their lives to further our understanding of the world around us.
This loss was even greater than challenger. It was a multicultural event, people from many backgrounds coming together to strap themselves into a flying death machine. That takes balls.
Unlike the juvenile comics above, which merely take a few stray brain cells and a desire to fuck up once more.

If I may respectfully disagree with some of what you posted ...

First what I don't disagree with: your characterization of the astronauts and your admiration for them and what they do. Everyone ought to read The Right Stuff.

That said, I will support one's right to make jokes about any subject, no matter how sensitive. The Shuttle, 9/11, the Holocaust, Celine Dion, whatever. However:

[list=1][*]Shitty, juvenile jokes are shitty and juvenile no matter what the subject matter.

[*]Whenever jokes are made about a sensitive subject, they must be delicately timed and more delicately presented, and not indiscriminately presented. However, I'd hope that on this site we have a "few-holds-barred" audience.[/list=1]

I remember distinctly that cartoon of yours you alluded to, and the flap that surrounded it. What I did not remember was that it was you who made it, and I certainly don't think less of you for having pushed the envelope then, even if you may have gone too far.

Oh, and to me Challenger was a bigger deal than Columbia. The multicultural aspect doesn't affect me much -- it was seven lives either way. But with Challenger, it was the first time, and we thought it couldn't happen; now we know such things are a plausible risk. Furthermore, with all going on right now, we may be so jaded or concerned about other things that the loss of a Shuttle may not stand out as it would have 17 years ago.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

2-11-03 10:01am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

When you say an exploding space shuttle is NEVER funny, some part of me wants to prove you wrong. ("Would it be funny if it exploded with a cargo bay full of weasels? Clowns? The Bush administration?")

Anyway, NASA doesn't kid the astronauts or their families about the risk. They know they're sitting on a gigantic explosion that's supposed to fling them into an environment that could instantly kill them, and if all goes perfectly well then they'll hurtle back to Earth in one flaming piece instead of many. They do it for the ride. Most of them have been aviation geeks all their lives. They'd literally die to take the ride.

So it's tragic, yes, but what really hacks me off is the enormous waste involved in a manned space program that serves no scientific purpose.

---
What others say about boorite!

2-11-03 10:09am (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

I think they'll get the joke without you clubbing them over the head with it like that. :-P

2-11-03 10:22am (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

The losses were probably avoidable. The only risk to the astronauts are those dingbats at NASA who are all too eager to send a shuttle to space, whether it's ready or not.

If I remember correctly, the Challenger went down because they let ice form at the rocket exhausts.

I'd like to see what took out the Columbia. Probably some dumbass mistake, like someone forgetting to empty out the toilet.

2-11-03 10:28am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

A baby seal walks into a bar. Bartender says "what'll you have?" The seal says "anything but a Canadian Club."

Yeah, I mean what's so inherently risky about combusting a zillion tons of liquid hydrogen and riding it into outer space?

Nope. What happened was the cold fucked up these gaskets (O-rings) which caused a small leak which caused the detonation of a zillion tons of liquid hydrogen.

quote:
I'd like to see what took out the Columbia. Probably some dumbass mistake, like someone forgetting to empty out the toilet.

Or like sending humans into low Earth orbit for no good reason.

BTW, one of my favorite shuttle disaster news moments was a newscaster repeatedly stressing that the shuttle is fueled by, and I quote, "a substance known as hydrogen." Yes, I have heard of this exotic substance!

---

2-11-03 11:15am (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

About Challenger, I seem to recall that they knew about the problem, but since it cost so much, they couldn't afford to abort. So what do they do...?

2-11-03 11:34am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Well, they knew about the problem in that some of their engineers had discovered it and tried to alert the brass to it. They had a slide show and everything. Showed blowed-up pics of eroded O-rings that had been frozen. On launch day, there were icicles hanging off the gantry-- very unusual weather for Canaveral. No previous shuttle had ever lifted off at below 50 degrees F.

Delaying launch and replacing the O-rings would have cost no more than any other launch scrub, plus like ten bucks for parts. They are literally just rubber gaskets.

I have a feeling not_Scyess knows more about this than I do.

---

2-11-03 1:13pm (new)

not_Scyess
not laughing with you

Member Rated:

I actually know exactly as much about it as you do. Unless you know more than you've posted, in which case I know actually less than you do.

Obviously I'm not who you think I am. ;> Good guess, though.

I also agree with you about the waste that is the space program. It would be one thing if they had a goal in all this stuff: setting up colonies on the moon, looking for signs of ancient life on Mars, etc.... but they seem to be sending people up just kinda so they keep going up.

Currently, the space shuttle is a huge, enormously complicated flying bomb with liquid and powdered pure hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. Until they somehow mange to find a simpler, safer, more advanced method of going into space, we're just going to have to face that there's a chance it might blow up.

Boeing is actually working on an airplane-type design that will take regular passengers to what is considered "space." We might see it in about 20 years. This is a step in the right direction, I think -- away from enormously complicated very detail-oriented launces where anything can go wrong to a more standard, easily controlled flight.

---
peddling the funny around since 09/24/2002

2-11-03 1:32pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

OK, I'm just gonna keep going til I get it:

I have a feeling not_Scyess has purpler hair and a publicker library job than mine!

---

2-11-03 2:13pm (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

quote:

Until they somehow mange to find a simpler, safer, more advanced method of going into space, we're just going to have to face that there's a chance it might blow up.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned levitation?

---
dcomposed:11-06-05: If I was a viking invading your village, you'd be the first to get raped.
Crabby: 10/5/06: i would love to feed you fresh fruit while bathing you.

2-11-03 2:19pm (new)

Tarantula_boy
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

The shuttles have been in use for 25 years or so and for only 2 of them to disintegrate in a fireworks display more impressive than the fireworks display over Edinburgh castle on Millenium Hogmanay is quite a good safety record, especially given that they are fuelled by liquid hydrogen.

Maybe it is time to consider replacing them or at least start using them for good reasons rather than just because they can and NASA would lose their budget if they didn't.

---
My nuts look disturbingly like cooking apples. Should I see a doctor about it?

2-11-03 3:01pm (new)

not_Scyess
not laughing with you

Member Rated:

Well, one of the problems with the shuttle program is that it is run by the government, and therefore is inclined to waste money. It's also run internally by engineers, who when given as much leeway as the government probably gives them are probably more interested in seeing what cool stuff they can make than what useful stuff they can do.

Oh, well.

---
peddling the funny around since 09/24/2002

2-11-03 3:17pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

If I ran the shuttle program, its purpose would be to drop shit on Kajun's house from outer space.

---

2-11-03 3:31pm (new)

DragonXero

Member Rated:

Personally, I think it's time to spend all that money they're putting into pointless missions on that new prototype ship. Hell, they could put a single Athlon on the ship and it'd have more computing power than the current model.
Space exploration is one field in which things NEED to move quickly, new technology and such. Aviation in general is not quite the same. Old Raptors and even biplanes still run fine, they don't need the latest laser-guided sensors, hell, even the stealths are pretty nifty today. Space shuttles, however, can ALWAYS benefit from the latest breakthroughs. I've heard there is a model in the works that will be able to take off and land without any extra support, like a jet. Wouldn't that be a nice little drop in the neccesary funds to hurl someone into space?
If the space travel technology moved as fast as home computers, we'd be checking out what's under the ice on Europa already, and finding big black monoliths. That'd be cool.
Anyway, I still think it's pretty brave to get on one of those shuttles, and for me personally, it's a bigger blow that THIS shuttle turned into a flaming wreck than when the Challenger did. You'd think those smarty-pants scientists at NASA would know what to check for by now!

---

2-12-03 4:32am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Fuck that. Have you ever even BEEN to Europa? It's cold as a bitch and dead as a doornail. Think Erie, Pennsylvania without the cultural advantages.

---

2-12-03 7:32am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Now look what you've done. A corner of my brain has gone off and started splicing together 2010 and That Thing You Do. I don't think I'll ever get it back.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

2-12-03 7:40am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

My God, it's full of schmaltz.

---

2-12-03 7:54am (new)

DragonXero

Member Rated:

Never seen either of them, though I did read 3001.
Good book.

---

2-12-03 8:37am (new)

punkrockskaboy
Defender of the Liquor Cabinet

Member Rated:

I would gladly risk my life to be a part of that great mission.

*salutes*

Also, may I add...freedom of speech allows freedom of speech even to the juvenile and crass. However, it also allows us the right to be annoyed and voice OUR opinion about the crap.

---
Welcome to Bohemia. Population: a lot Cash flow: a little

2-12-03 11:23am (new)

Tarantula_boy
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

quote:
If I ran the shuttle program, its purpose would be to drop shit on Kajun's house from outer space.

Can you see Kajun's house from space?

---

2-13-03 8:34am (new)

wirthling
supercalifragilisticexpialadosucks

Member Rated:

quote:
quote:

Can you see Kajun's house from space?

No, but you can see the mountain of empty whiskey bottles next to it.

---
"And Wirthling isn't worth the paper he isn't printed on."

2-13-03 8:39am (new)

Tarantula_boy
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

I just thought it would be masked by a huge cloud of thick ganja smoke.

---

2-13-03 8:53am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

We know Kajun's house is in a country called Scotland which (our intelligence reports say) is near England. We figure if we drop enough shit on this Scotland, we might eventually hit Kajun's house. Some (Scotland) have questioned the fairness of this policy, but I say to Scotland that if you harbor Kajun then you are Kajun. No safe harbor for Kajun or those who harbor him.

---

2-13-03 9:00am (new)

Tarantula_boy
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

Surely you must have some laser-guiding technology which will spare the rest of us Scots from suffering the injustice of being shat on from space?

---

2-13-03 9:06am (new)

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » DALLAS WE HAVE A PROBLEM

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help