Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » More Comic Competitions » Badly Translated Using BabelFish Contest

Author

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

If you for some reason have been reading the religion thread recently, you may notice it's gone rather far south lately... the rules here are as follows:

1. AT LEAST half the strip must be in another language translated from English using Babelfish. The link is here: [url=http://babel.altavista.com][/url]

2. When translated back into English the comic must be mostly incomprehensible, yet still funny.

3. NO ROTOR TURBINES... well maybe one

4. As far as I can tell Babelfish is unable to translate the words "CORNHOLE" "733t" and "WANG"
Just a little warning.

5. I think I'll close this one Thursday-ish and then, depending on the number of participants either pick the winner or tab a vote for them.

---
HAH! GORILLA, right there!

2-05-02 9:59am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

HERE IS THE LINK... WOO-DIDDLEY HOO

---

2-05-02 10:07am (new)

CaptainObvious
Pink Donkey Wrangler

Member Rated:

djsparkydog is unclear on how these comic competitions work.

---
This is my signature.

2-05-02 10:22am (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

It was shit to begin with, it's quite possibly the worst thread I've ever seen here.

p.s. this competition sucks.

---
Dad was flammable

2-05-02 10:27am (new)

Bazilla
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

C'mon don't exaggerate, surely you remember my "Your best comic Cup" No-one will ever defeat that!

And now there are no complaints from you, I've restarted the "What are the rules" contest, and you have now been trying in it. And if it wasn't for me, this small gem would still be hiding, I am your god MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry.

---
I am not 16 going on not 17, I know that I'm naive.

2-05-02 10:53am (new)

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

Oh... I apologize... I'm not allowed to post?
If you don't want to participate don't post. Seems like an awful waste of time to bitch about the fact that I started a thread you didn't want to participate in. As a general rule I tend to ignore threads that don't interest me, instead of telling the people there why I'm not interested.

The trick here would be to go post in something that DOES interest you instead of fistfucking me with your opinion.

Off my soapbox now, no offense Firefly.

---

2-05-02 11:06am (new)

wirthling
supercalifragilisticexpialadosucks

Member Rated:

Post wherever or whatever you want. Just know that you are likely to be ill-received when you monkey with the usual way things are done here. Generally, if one wants to run a contest, you enter a current contest and win it, and then you get to run the next one. If everybody just goes off starting their own contests, then things get chaotic. Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of participation from regulars in this thread. We can be a cranky lot when new folks mess with our traditions.

---
"And Wirthling isn't worth the paper he isn't printed on."

2-05-02 12:13pm (new)

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

Well shit... had I known that was the case I wouldn't have done it... However a handful of my friends expressed an interest so I posted.

Besides my chances of ever winning a CC are nil because I'm new. Oh well damned if you do damned if you don't... maybe I'll just post it in another forum so none of the regulars get pissed.

---

2-05-02 12:21pm (new)

andydougan
Film critic subordinaire

Member Rated:

I can't be bothered writing this in full for the dozenth time, so here's an abridged version.

kramer_vs_kramer...won...first post...recent contests...won by newbies...yer maw was crap...wirthling sucks.

2-05-02 12:42pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

I was a newbie when I won my first contest. It was my entry in that contest that made people like me. Don't blame newbiehood for your lack of style.

(Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Who says anyone likes me. Blah blah blah yackety smackety.)

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

2-05-02 1:07pm (new)

skagg
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

high horse, step off it

---
Who knows what fear lurks in the hearts of men? MIKE BOBSICO KNOWS! And if you give him a decent tip when he delivers your mail , he might tell you.

2-05-02 1:26pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Andy sort-of explained it, sparky. kramer_vs_kramer's very first post on these boards was a CC entry... and he won... with his very first post. Ever. Newbiehood is not an excuse to decide you have no chance to participate with the regulars in our established traditions.

2-05-02 1:39pm (new)

Bazilla
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Which CC was this? so I can wander back and have a look?

---
I am not 16 going on not 17, I know that I'm naive.

2-05-02 1:43pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

CC 62. That was actually one of my favorite contests as well... the rules were really condusive to churning out quality strips.

2-05-02 1:46pm (new)

NeoVid
Stripcreator Irregular

Member Rated:

DH won the second CC he ever entered. I won my third or fourth. New people have a better chance of winning.

Anyone notice I managed a pun on DH's name?

---
"Only things I approve of should exist." -some guy on the internet

2-05-02 3:47pm (new)

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

well hooray then...

Sorry about the post... not exactly like there's a thou shalt not post sign though...

---

2-05-02 4:43pm (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Heh, I thought junior comic technicians were higher rank than vets and regulars. :-P

But anyway, I don't think the argument is whether newcomers win these contests, but who should be allowed to start a contest. While points for both sides are good (if anyone was allowed to start a contest, it would be chaotic; on the other hand, the more people join stripcreator, the harder it is to win a contest), perhaps what should matter is how these comic competitions were meant to be.

2-05-02 4:57pm (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

quote:
Heh, I thought junior comic technicians were higher rank than vets and regulars. :-P

Nah, we've all passed our Senior Comic Technician exams, so we get to eat donuts and watch the other guys do all the work.

---
Dad was flammable

2-05-02 5:20pm (new)

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

doughnut eating that sounds like the test I took to become an Earthlink Senior tech...
Perhaps we should all stop posting this thread and let this miserable thread die the death it deserved in the first place... course who the fuck am I to say

That was the dilemma I was talking about Devin

once again:
w00t r00t b33r... beverage of h4xx0rs everywhere

---

2-05-02 5:23pm (new)

Draconias
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Oh how I love being black listed...
[Click to view comic: 'Slightly Obscure - Mob Rules']

---
"Hit me" "18" "Hit me" "19" "Hit me" "20" "Hit me" "21" "Hit me"

2-05-02 11:44pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

quote:

But anyway, I don't think the argument is whether newcomers win these contests, but who should be allowed to start a contest. While points for both sides are good (if anyone was allowed to start a contest, it would be chaotic; on the other hand, the more people join stripcreator, the harder it is to win a contest), perhaps what should matter is how these comic competitions were meant to be.

Well, see... there were never real ironclad rules about the starting of contests... the whole contest thing grew out of the ingenuity of some bold regulars. However, tradition evolved.

The part about it becoming chaotic is the main reason why the tradition is that the winner makes the new contest... but occasionally, a regular will come up with a new contest idea, and it will work well. This is because the regulars have been here long enough to know what will go over and what won't, and have enough emotional energy invested in the site not to fuck it up with needless spooge.

These are the reasons that newbies and relative newbies are not encouraged to start contests. Capiche?

---

2-06-02 6:02am (new)

Jehovah
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

quote:
well hooray then...

Sorry about the post... not exactly like there's a thou shalt not post sign though...

Thou shalt not post...

---
Shima y Israel Jehovah Elohym Jehovah echad.

2-06-02 9:20am (new)

djsparkydog
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

Thank you Jehovah... had it not been for you, I would not have known. The five or 6 other people who told me not to I ignored, but you... you have brought light and understanding... now can we let this thread just die already?

---

2-06-02 1:48pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

Not until people stop posting to it. That means you, too.

---

2-06-02 3:44pm (new)

Stripcreator » More Comic Competitions » Badly Translated Using BabelFish Contest

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests