Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » Did Someone Mention Music?

Author

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

I hate to bring this thread back to life, much less have shit hurled at me for it, but it seems like everyone's saying the same thing, basically. Bunner is going about it the long winded way and uses words I don't really understand, but it seems like he agrees with choad more than he disagrees.

The best classification I can give to my favorite type of music is "Adult contemporary", which I know it isn't. The station I listen to adverstises itself to play "Modern Music", but it's not like the Pop 40 station in any way. It's softer, like soft rock, but still not completely soft rock. When people ask what I listen to, I say "You ever been to STL?" If they reply yes, then I say "The River." People laugh at me all the time, but fuck them. I like what I like. You like what you like. What's the point in making them fit into some stupid catagory?

I think this may be the work of computers, though, too. If you cruise through your winamp and look at the genres you can put your songs into, half of them don't even make any sense. I listen to "Pig Roasted Kettle Corn Rock". At my work, there's a radio system that titles each "station" (cycle of songs that plays at random) in the most obscure ways. It's currently set to "Coffeehouse jazz" something or another. However, if we didn't have these titles for these things, we wouldn't be able to distinguish one from the other.

I suggest a new system. I believe everything in the world is connected directly to numbers, therefore, let's have a number system.

I listen to 6.

---
Mediocrity at its most average.

10-28-03 8:35am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Hmmm. There's a station called "The River" (100.3FM) here in Knoxville, TN. They play what I'd called Lite Modern Rock with some 80s and 90s Pop/Rock thrown in for good measure.

We finally got an Urban station about a year and a half ago. Now there are three such stations (which is two too many since they all play the same music). The original station played harder rap and some old school stuff. But that ended as soon as major advertising $s started rolling in. Corporate Radio bastards.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-28-03 11:07am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Every market has a soft-rock station called "The River" or "Lite one-oh-something FM."

Sometimes I listen to the Lite Jazz station. Have actually heard some good, non-Kenny-G stuff on there.

---
What others say about boorite!

10-28-03 11:15am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Google:

Searched the web for "the river" fm. Results 1 - 10 of about 102,000.

---

10-28-03 11:22am (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

There are only 7 commercial FM radio stations. they are all satellite fed to every major market on the continent and they are all owned by Clear Channel Communications. And if you don't like it, go see the cool, new indie band at the cool local not-big-enough-for-an-arena-tour venue.

I mean, Clear Channel owns those, too, but... It's INDIE!

The radio, the venues, the labels....

Oh, by jingo! We have been screww-heww-heewwed!

*snark*

---
I wanted my half in the middle and I wound up on the edge.

10-29-03 6:36pm (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

No.. I mean seriously.

---

10-29-03 6:50pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I heard Peter Buck on the radio today, he said, "Talking about music is like whistling about chickens or dancing about architecture."

10-29-03 10:50pm (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

True. But since architecture has been called frozen music, I guess the architecture dance is just not moving.

---

10-29-03 10:58pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

*whistles "Turkey in the Straw"*

---

10-30-03 8:14am (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

I went to play some pool (billiards) with some friends back home this weekend and while there i ran into a guy who used to frequent the record store I worked in. Someone decided to load the jukebox up with the complete Smashing Pumpkins catalogue, starting at Gish (their first album) and going on from there (I left somewhere around Siamese Dream). I remarked that listening to that band makes me nostalgic and reminds me of a particular time (early 90s, college, mall jobs) so I went around the room and asked my friends what they thought of while hearing the Smashing Pumpkins. It was a lot of the same crap I was saying but the guy from the record store starts going off about how he NEVER listened to them, and never liked ANY band that came out after he was born, and he was very proud of his music tastes differing from what all the other kids in school liked and being deemed 'so weird' by his friends. I think he did mention that he liked Nine Inch Nails and New order but that was it, so just like that, 2 and half decades of music sucked to him. Apparently, he had heard it all and it all sucked.

Anyway, I could see where this was going and having generally had my fill of arguing about music lately, I let him go off on the tangent that he felt he needed to make. After a few minutes, though, he said, "I don't understand how anyone could listen to grunge rock or alternative music or the Pixies. It all sounds like noise to me. Matt, you like the Pixies. What's the big deal about the them?" I tried for a minute or two to explain the enjoyment I get out of the Pixies to which he said, "But it sounds like noise" and "It's not like they're the second coming or anything." I shrugged it off and said, "Well, maybe that's the problem is that you're looking at them through hype colored glasses and so all you're getting is the 'this isn't as good as everyone says' vibe." He concluded by reminding me that "They sound like crap."

Well, on the way home I was talking to my wife and I began to realize that women never argue about music. I've never heard two women anywhere bicker about who brought punk rock to the states or Public Image Ltd was better than the Sex Pistols, only guys. And I've seen several times where the conversations heated up into full fledged fights. What the fuck? And it's not like I haven't heard women argue over some trivial business, but it's never music. I thought back on my record store days and realized that there were a ton of guys who came in and had to have every CD single, b-side, bootleg, and soundtrack that had band A on it (particularly guys into Guided by Voices, Yo La Tengo, Jim O'Rourke) but only about one or two girls who were that into any band (the two instances I can think of are the "Tori Amos" girl and a couple of Ani Difranco avids).

So my question for you all is this, why are guys so obsessed with music but not so much women? Why the need to collect them all? I think the answer to this make strike at the reason why there are so many sub-genres of music now, because to collect is to classify and distinguish. I yearn for your thoughts.

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

10-30-03 9:34am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

quote:

So my question for you all is this, why are guys so obsessed with music but not so much women?

I beg to differ. I am totally obsessed with women.

---

10-30-03 10:44am (new)

DMSO
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

The "dancing about architecture" bit came from Frank Zappa, I believe.

---
Absorbed directly through the skin.

10-30-03 12:43pm (new)

attitudechicka
is never bored.

Member Rated:

quote:

So my question for you all is this, why are guys so obsessed with music but not so much women?

I'm obsessed with music. However, I don't think it's worth arguing over. I say "I like this." I don't say, "Hey listen to this new punk techno grunge pop." It's not worth being an ass over.

And we don't buy CD's so much because we spend all our money on clothes. Don't you know that by now?

---
Mediocrity at its most average.

10-30-03 3:39pm (new)

mmyers
Passing through.

Member Rated:

Am I any less of a man if I say that women are still a mystery to me? I totally forgot about the clothes and the shoes thing. I won't tell the other girls that you're betraying all their secrets, Chicka.

---
Peeing sitting down is the gift you give yourself.

10-31-03 12:02pm (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

I dunno... I spend more money on CD's than I do on clothes or any of the like. I also enjoy getting into musical debates, because then I get to hear how enthusiatic people are over their musical tastes. The only thing I get pissed off about when having these musical debates is when people say "blah blah sucks", especially if its one of my favorite bands. I have music posters on my walls, and people constantly want to set fire to one of them because THEY don't like it, to which i end up getting REALLY mad, because obviously i like them, or i wouldn't have the poster on the wall. I mean, I listen to other people talk about how awesome their music is and what they like and blah blah blah... Anyway, that's my contribuition to this, and i leave with these words : to each their own.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

10-31-03 2:13pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Hey young folks: Ya see how hip bunner, kaufman, and I are? See how jazzy fresh our taste in tunes is? Well, you're looking at your future. Yes, one day you'll put on your favorite record and some urchin just out of knee pants will declare he hasn't heard this old crap since like forever. Then you'll realize that everything you condsider cool is suddenly being presented as retro-kitsch on VH-1. Yes, smug celebrities you never heard of will be smirking at your culture. You will wonder how a just and loving God could permit this to happen. You will find yourself remarking that music these days sounds like noise. Go ahead and deny it. It will happen.

Then will come that fateful day when you find yourself doing your taxes, itemizing your deductions, piles of receipts all around-- with the classical music station on.

Happy Halloween, kids!

---

10-31-03 8:53pm (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

Or shopping at the all night Super-K for socks and underwear, driving in a Medicare sled sedan with Mozart playing on your bitchin', two subwoofer car system.

Bwaaaahahahahahahahah!

Dip your bread in the gravy while you can, kids, because one of these days; you're going to be the next batch of old, fat, full-of-shit, uncool senior discount card holders. Only with a lot more piercings and tattoos.

If you're lucky.

On the upside, I like a lot of new music, too. Not because it's "hip". I just like it or I don't. And If I don't.... I DON'T CARE!

See?

Getting old has it's advantages, too.

---

10-31-03 11:54pm (new)

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » Did Someone Mention Music?

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests