Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #7: Group Two--Phreaky Chi Choad

Author

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Lavish me with praise and chat about your CDs here.

8-31-05 8:24pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

Ok, so I sent this out via e-mail before realising that perhaps the forum thread would be a more appropriate place (and avoids the problems of forgetting to click 'Reply All' etc.)

Can I just canvas some vague genres from people so I have an idea about what music you like and what you passionately despise? Evidently the purpose of the swap is to share tastes and broaden horizons etc. But! I don't want to send out a CD which neither of you chooses to ever listen to again after the courtesy listening upon arrival.

Is there any sort of music which you just cannot stand?

For your info....

I like pretty much anything, but I do draw the line at:

Rap.
Hip-Hop.
R&B.

I'm open to suggestion if you really think you have hip-hop or r&b music that will blow me away, but try as you might, you won't woo me with rap. Which is not to say you can't include it, just that I don't like it.

9-01-05 5:31am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Chi...since you sent a song by Boards of Canada on your last swap, that gives you carte blanche to send me whatever you want.

9-01-05 9:18pm (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

Thanks: those beautiful Canadian Boards will no doubt be gracing the track listings once again.

In the last swap, I told everyone what was on my CD before despatch. This time I'm going to be more secretive... it'll be a surprise! And, taking my lead from the Old Master of Swaps, I have found my Concept.

9-02-05 12:28am (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

Hey boys.

I will refrain from putting any R&B or hip-hop on my CD unless absolutely necessary.

As for my taste in music, I like pretty much anything. Choad, you know better than Chi how broad my tastes are.

I give you both freedom to send me whatever you like.

Also, when am I getting your addresses?

---
dcomposed:11-06-05: If I was a viking invading your village, you'd be the first to get raped.
Crabby: 10/5/06: i would love to feed you fresh fruit while bathing you.

9-10-05 6:53pm (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

quote:

Also, when am I getting your addresses?

Hmm, how strange... I have yours and Choad's address because he sent them to me via e-mail. I had assumed he sent them to you also? You might need to nudge him - or, if you have an e-mail address I can forward them on to you.

9-10-05 7:46pm (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

I got them. It was just at an email address I haven't checked in a few weeks. Thanks though.

---
dcomposed:11-06-05: If I was a viking invading your village, you'd be the first to get raped.

9-11-05 6:01am (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

Is there any particular theme we are going to adhere to or do I have free reign of terror here?

---

9-14-05 5:02pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Whatever you like m'dear. I'm going to send out two discs this time around. Disc One should be burned by the end of the weekend, but Disc Two is turning out to be a bitch. Perhaps by the end of the month I'll get them both done.

9-14-05 8:33pm (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

Well, in the meantime, you can both listen to the cynic's choice: my double-disc-themed-extravaganza is being shipped out today...

9-14-05 11:04pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Sideswap groupcrash!

I'm nearly ready to post comments on Chi's discs, is it safe to do so or shall I wait another couple of days?

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

9-19-05 4:26pm (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

GET OUT OF OUR THREAD, JES! DAMNIT.

---

9-19-05 7:52pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

No. Make me.

---

9-19-05 9:09pm (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

I, uhh, already crashed his thread... he's just repaying like for like.

Have my CDs still not arrived over in yon Rhode Island and Golden State?

9-19-05 10:54pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Chi--

Got your CD today. I'm listening to track two on Yin and I'm ready to declare this disc a winner. I'll give both discs a listen tomorrow as I'll be driving around quite a bit and will have time.

9-20-05 5:26pm (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

I got Chi's CDs today as well. I am listening to them now and will review later. The track lists look promising.

---

9-20-05 5:50pm (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

PS- I just LOVE getting "Royal Mail". Makes me feel important.

---

9-20-05 5:51pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Sideswappery! Reviewed!

Chi - Yin/Yang

Disc 1 - Yin
[list=1]
[*]Bob Holroyd - A very mellow start, as you would expect on a disc like this. Reminds me of Harold Budd and of the little known Stalker ambient project.
[*]Kinobe - A classic! This must be one of the all time great tracks for tension relief.
[*]Cousteau - I used to cane this track on my radio show when it first came out nearly 6 years ago. Wow, has it been that long? One of my favourite tracks, it never fails to evoke wistful memories of the end of the summer.
[*] Jack Johnson - Singer/Songwriter-tastic. A little sacchariny for my taste, but then I have very nearly put Ben&Jason onto compilations in a fit of angst.
[*] Rufus Wainwright - Now this is very Ben & Jason. More singer/songwriter musings, this is a little edgier and speaks to me.
[*] Clannad - I've always regarded liking Clánnad as being a bit uncool, especially when you're from Ireland, but this track is great. I wish I spoke a bit of Gaelic, but I think not understanding the lyrics makes it a more interesting piece to listen to.
[*] De-Phazz - Tongue-in-cheek update of the Mambo. I've got a track like this on a CD called Kinky Beats, which is essentially modern beat merchants updating swinging 60's and Spaghetti Western tracks. Swing it.
[*] Tegan and Sarah - Hints of PJ Harvey and other female artists in here. Doesn't quite get going for me, but we're still in the groove.
[*] Magnet - Aha! Heard this song on the radio over the last few months. Don't like Dylan but this is an exceptional cover. The tempo is perfect, the lyrics are delivered with an original and sincere style, but the female vocalist (who is she?) makes it for me. Great track.
[*] Emiliana Torrini - Another, slightly haunting, acoustic guitar number. She's got a lovely voice, a little bit like Beth Hirsch.
[*] Moby - Not his best track but you can't go wrong with a bit of the old bald techno wizard. Quite an uplifting number, I was feeling pretty good by the ned of the track.
[*] Coldplay - You can't go wrong with Coldplay either. This is one of my favourite tracks from the new album, good choice.
[*] 13 Senses - This sounds very familiar, there's a few bands that have this sound that you can hear when listening to any good radio station in the UK. That said, this is a great track and I could listen to this sort of stuff all day; I will be keeping my eyes out for more by this band.
[*] Chris DeBurgh - OK I really shouldn't like this, but it somehow works. Ah, I know why, it's great background music for playing WoW.
[*] GSO and Dinu Radu - more superb background music, this time with a quite haunting flavour of the Orient.
[*] Boards of Canada - Ahh, I will never tire of hearing this song. Probably the best track they've done, although Pete Standing Alone, A Beautiful Place Out in the Country and Music is Math run it close IMHO. New album out imminently!
[*] Kenji Kawai - Another really atmospheric, track to close the disc, has a little bit of an edge that I rather like, very evocative.
[/list=1]

Sterling stuff, well chosen, a good mix of flavours. Listening to Chi's swap discs is often better accompanied to doing something else, as it makes a superb soundtrack. That said, some of the tracks jump out at you, particularly the ones I'm more familiar with. Another winner to add to the collection, thanks Chi.

OK, review of the Yang disc to follow (well you can't have one eith out the other can you?)

---

9-27-05 11:41am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I've been tied up with work stuff at home, but I've been listening to your CD in my car Chi, and I love them both. I'll post a proper review at some proper time.

9-27-05 6:09pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I burned disc 1 today. I'm getting sick of disc 2...we'll see in the next couple of days if I have the mindset to finish it. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of artwork and should get this/these out soon.

10-23-05 12:22pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Disc 1 - Yin

Earthwatching Bob Holroyd - A nice, mellow start. I immediately knew what the mood of the rest of the disc would be.

Slip Into Something More Comfortable Kinobe - Another perfect instrumental.

Last Good Day of the Year Cousteau - Wow, what a great song. It has that somber 60's love movie soundtrack feel to it.

Better Together Jack Johnson - I've never been a fan of Jack Johnson. I don't hate him, I don't know why he doesn't do it for me. Oh well.

Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk Rufus Wainwright - I've got a Rufus Wainwright song on my disc I burned today. He's someone I wished I liked better, but I can only take his wailing for so long before I want to change tracks. This is one of the songs of his I like a lot, though. I finally saw The Aviator a couple weeks ago and when there was the early scene in the Cocanut Grove opening with the crooner, I thought, "This guy sounds really, really gay." Then they showed the singer's face and it was Rufus. What can I say...gaydar is gaydar.

Dulaman Clannad - This sounds like a church choir doing warm up exercises.

Mambo Craze De-Phazz - This is my favourite song on this disc. I had the line, "Space cake break at the Titicaca Lake" going through my head all day when I first heard it. What a great blend of mambo, sampling, and drum track. This sounds like a lot of the songs I put on one of my discs for Swap 5.

My Number Tegan and Sarah - Hooray Lilith Faire!

Lay Lady Lay Magnet - This is a great song, and this is the best cover I've ever heard of it.

Sunny Road Emiliana Torrini - Every time this comes on, I think "I don't remember a Scarborough Faire cover on this disc." I like it, though.

The Rafters Moby - Okay, now that the church choir warmed up with Dulaman, they belt it out on this one. Yeah, this one sounds like it came out of a black gospel choir backed with an electric band. Maybe I wouldn't have grown up an atheist if my parents took me to a church with music like this.

Fix You Coldplay - People either love or hate Coldplay. Next.

Into the Fire 13 Senses - I love the piano and how the intro builds on this track. While it sounds a bit like something you'd hear in the background of a WB teen angst drama, what can I say? I'm a sucker for tracks like that.

When Winter Comes Chris DeBurgh - A nice bridge, and it blends so seamlessly into the next track I thought they were one song.

Dark Side of the Sun GSO and Dinu Radu - I'm surprised it took you this long to put something which sounded Asian on the disc.

Aquarius Boards of Canada - I am so glad BoC has finally released a new disc. I almost put this song on another swap CD. It always confuses me that this song is not the one called Sixtyten on that CD.

Nightstalker Kenji Kawai - Jes was right, a lot of this disc sounds like a soundtrack, especially this and Dark Side of the Sun. Maybe its because I only hear music like these two tracks in Asian movie soundtracks. Either way, I like them.

As I've told you in IRC, Chi, well done! I like both discs quite a bit and I'll post a review of the Yang tracks within the next week.

10-23-05 3:24pm (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

Chi, I won't go through your discs song by song, but just know that I thought they were both A++ with my favorite tunes being "Last Good Day of the Year" by Cousteau(it's just a really chill song) and while Muse is one of my favorite bands, the Aphex Twin(another fav band of mine) wins on the second disc.

I made my disc and will be mailing them sometime this week.

---

10-24-05 5:48am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

"Yang" - Disc 2 of Chi's CDs

Quick review:

Great track as an intro, is it from a film? Wait, I just Googled it - Matrix:Revolutions.
The UNKLE track was brilliant, loved the "Equilibrium" reference. Good choice of Prodigy track, I feel ashamed they are originally from a town 6 miles from my flat and I've never once put one of their tracks on a swap CD. We continue with more moody breakbeat and I even like the Evanescence and J-pop track. Also good to hear a J-M J track I hadn't heard before. Favourite track has to be "Bathtime in Clerkenwell". Good finish to the disc.

So in short, another great piece of fiery swap action which balances disc 1 perfectly. Cheers.

---

10-24-05 6:07am (new)

PhreakyChinchilla
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Member Rated:

I was a good girl and mailed my CD today.

Track list to follow your first listen.

---

11-05-05 9:34am (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

Marvellous!

11-05-05 2:36pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #7: Group Two--Phreaky Chi Choad

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply