Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » Can being fat reach handicap status?

Author

Spankling
Looking for love in ALL the wrong places, baby!

Member Rated:

The reason I bring this up is a fat woman that rides the bus I do seems to expect handicap privileges. She is not the fattest person I’ve ever seen, nor does she carry a cane, but she asks for the chair lift in order to get on the bus rather than walk up the 2 steps. And when people see this, someone always gives up their seat in the handicap preferred section, which she takes without any acknowledgment. She isn’t even old.

Now here’s my point. Why can’t drunks get the same treatment? My mom is an alcoholic. Her situation is caused by a physical problem. It has nothing to do with willpower or self control. Some people just have a harder time refusing a drink than others and it shows. Isn’t that pretty much the same case for this lady?

Is she afraid she’ll blow out a knee climbing the steps? I’ve been shit-faced enough in my life to have the same concern. But somehow I don’t think the world would react the same way. And if they did, I hope I would say thanks now and then.

Tomorrow, I’m not getting up.

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

12-12-02 10:11pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

hevquip
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

the only handicap i see her having is severe "stupid lazy fat bitch" syndrome.

12-12-02 11:27pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

It's not a "handicap," it's "evolution." If this nation rewards and encourages laziness, sloth, and poor eating habits, then isn't this woman just a natural outcome of adaption to her surroundings? When you live in a nation where everyone else increasingly has to accomidate your own girth, the only real motivations for losing weight are self image, the desire to not be made fun of, and the desire to improve your health... and my own life experience has taught me that those motivators by themselves can sometimes be rather weak. More often than not, they just end up crushing you. Speaking personally, it took a big shock to snap me out of my own self-pity and complacency to the point that I actually lost weight conciously. The first time was luck and happenstance. This time it's a concious effort.

12-12-02 11:49pm (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Matt Groening seems to know the answer to Spankling's first question.

According to the Simpsons, being too obese can qualify you for disability. They devoted a whole episode to it.

12-13-02 12:58am (new)

Blackwolf
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

My mom was an alcoholic, and one day she took her life.
Yeah, I'd say that alcoholism is pretty much a disability as much as any.

---
The world is full of crazy people. That is good, because then I wont be the only one.

12-13-02 6:43am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

I'd say it's more an affliction than a disability.

12-13-02 7:29am (new)

hevquip
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

alcoholism runs in my family and is considered a disease now these days. i guess it can be found on genes and isolated or whatever. i dont know how you privelage alcoholics though...give them beer money or something.

12-13-02 8:43am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Has alcohol been proven to cause a chemical dependancy in the brain? You know how like heroin and nicotine are addictive, while E is technically just habit-forming. I'm fairly sure alcohol would be lumped in with the latter otherwise everyone would be hooked after just one drink.

12-13-02 9:46am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

I'm both an alcoholic and a former substance abuse counselor (at the Master's level, not PhD), and here's what I understand about booze:

Alcohol is physically addictive, if that term has any meaning at all. The two hallmarks are tolerance and physical withdrawal symptoms.

Whether alcoholism is best viewed as a disease is controversial (though you wouldn't know it if you live in the US). The physiological basis for it is poorly understood. The genetic basis is far from firmly established. The medical model closely resembles the "demon rum" rhetoric of the Temperance movement (only scientized), and it has difficulty explaining certain things, such as why alcoholics are overwhelmingly likelier than non-alcoholics to be addicted to cigarettes and caffeine, which bear no chemical resemblance to alcohol. Social learning theory provides an alternative view to the disease model.

Still, we see that alcoholism tends to run in families, and the research is getting better. Scientists say that 40-60% of the risk for alcoholism is genetic. My personal experience is that my relationship with alcohol has always been different from that of my non-alcoholic friends-- and my family tree is chock full of drunks.

I think I used alcohol to self-medicate for depression and anxiety; other problem drinkers might use it for something else. So alcoholism(s) may not be one "disease."

On a side note: E is very, very bad for you. Just a tad too much can fuck up your serotonin levels, sometimes for good. MJ, acid, hell even cocaine doesn't do that. I'd stay away from E.

---
What others say about boorite!

12-13-02 10:16am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

So it would either:

a) Make you fearless and foolish.
b) Make you incredibly anxious.

At least that's what I understand serotonin to do.

---
Jesus saves, but everyone else in a 10 foot radius takes full damage from the fireball.

12-13-02 10:22am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Surely alcoholism running in families is also a sociological thing?

12-13-02 10:40am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

quote:
So it would either:

a) Make you fearless and foolish.
b) Make you incredibly anxious.

At least that's what I understand serotonin to do.

a) is low serotonin, b) is high serotonin.

---
Jesus saves, but everyone else in a 10 foot radius takes full damage from the fireball.

12-13-02 10:42am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

That's what I think: There's some of the psychological, some of the sociological, and some of the biological at work here. The shrinks call it "biopsychosocial." That's the kind of information you can only get by going to grad school, I tell ya.

---

12-13-02 10:54am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

I'm doubtful of the extent of the biological effect; only due to the fact that if it "runs in families" then you could say many social problems do too, e.g if the parents are poor, the child tends to be too.

---

12-13-02 11:00am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

On serotonin: E causes massive release of serotonin, temporarily heightening empathy and awareness of emotion. The subsequent depletion of serotonin causes anxiety, paranoia, and depression. Some say it's just a mid-week "mood dip" after weekend E use; others say that E causes serotonin neurotoxic injury resulting in long-term or even permanent aftereffects.

---

12-13-02 11:02am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Ever heard of twin studies?

---

12-13-02 11:03am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

/me is a dumbass

No.

OH! You mean the type where one child is put in a rich family, and another is in a poor family?

---

12-13-02 11:06am (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

They're allowed to do that? What about ethical issues?

12-13-02 11:08am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Or am I thinking of the plotline for a particularly shitty Disney film?

---

12-13-02 11:10am (new)

hevquip
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

that's no disney plot, but now that you've mentioned it, i guess i'll be writing disney and telling them idea thus stealing it from you and getting a sweet, sweet cash cow.

12-13-02 2:38pm (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

There IS a Disney movie where twins were separated at birth because their parents split up, and then they're reunited by a twist of Hollywood magic and they scheme to put their parents back together again. I forget the name of the movie. They made a remix of it though.

12-13-02 4:44pm (new)

Spankling
Looking for love in ALL the wrong places, baby!

Member Rated:

Disney!?!?!? DISNEY????

"The Prince and the Pauper." is one example that predates the "Olson Twins Blow Guys in Different Social Classes" movie or whatever Disney may have done to fuck up the concept.

My favorite rip off of this idea is "Puddin Head Wilson."

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

12-13-02 10:13pm (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

It was called "The Parent Trap" and was out in the 60s, starring Hayley Mills.

12-14-02 4:44am (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

Sorry, man. Truly.

---
I wanted my half in the middle and I wound up on the edge.

12-21-02 11:52pm (new)

Blackwolf
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Thanks man.

---
The world is full of crazy people. That is good, because then I wont be the only one.

12-23-02 9:13am (new)

Stripcreator » Fights Go Here » Can being fat reach handicap status?

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests