Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Scyess' Mix

Author

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

Don't read this if you don't want a preview!  Below are my tracks and my comments.  If you want some epic multi-disc "my music is so cool" thing with the painstaking cover art and the custom CD top and the wizz-banginess, you're out of luck.

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-23-07 9:50pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Scyess

Member Rated:

Though unintentional, I noticed most of my tracks feature a horn section this time around:  thus the title of the CD.  There's a subtheme of New Orleans music, and of course a sub-sub theme of stuff unrelated to any supertheme.

The Clouds
Bower of Bliss

I got this CD single for free in college.  I liked it so much I bought the full 14-track disc, which of course sucked with the exception of this song.  So here ya go.  (Sorry, no horns on the first track!)

Blood, Sweat & Tears
Spinnin' Wheel

I grew up with this band.  I don't know anything about them, but I always liked this song.

Dr. John
How Come My Dog Don't Bark (when You Come Around)

The first track of my Nawlens subtheme.  I'm not a fan of the big threatening rant at the end, but I like the rest of the song.  And, of course, no one does a Dr. John voice better than Dr. John.

Gangbé Brass Band
Aou Whan

I got this CD free when I donated to KDHX.  I had no idea what I was getting; I normally don't like African stuff, but the brass is an interesting twist on it.  I like several of the tracks, including this one.  And it fits my theme.

Save Ferris
Goodbye

I actually don't remember where I found this band, it's been so long.  The girl has an excellent voice, though.  Too excellent for ska, probably.

Amy Winehouse
You Know I'm no Good

I think this is a popular song right now.  I heard it on the radio.  I love what this girl does with her quirky voice.  I don't even know how to classify it.

Hungarian State Folk Ensemble
Gergely

I bought this CD when they came to town.  It was a rip off at $20; who says you can't teach them capitalism?  But there's some good stuff on there, this being the best (in my opinion).

Bluekilla
The New Ska Age

I bought this CD because they had a ska version of Hava Nagila.  I didn't put it on this one, though, because I'm saving it for may all-Hava-Nagila swap CD.  Oh, yes.  I think this band is German.

George Rose
I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General (from The Pirates of Penzance)

Another one I've liked since I was a kid.  If you don't like it, I'll try to pretend I care.  (But not really.)  An interesting factoid:  Kevin Kline sings the part of the Pirate King on this CD.

Jim Tomlinson and Stacey Kent
If I Were a Bell

I think Stacey Kent's voice is cute.  Some people think it's annoying.  You be the judge.

Cab Calloway
What's Buzzin' Cousin?

Clever lyrics and catchy music from a classic artist.

Harry Choates
Rye Whiskey

A classic artist of a different vein.  I like this song on so many levels.  I'm always bummed out when I can't find it on the list at the karaoke bar (which is every time).

Wanda Jackson
I Gotta Know

Yet another classic artist.  And yet another fun song.

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
Ramblin' Man

I like this pair, but all their songs sound exactly the same for some reason.  Good thing you only have to listen to one track:  a variation on an old country standard.

Amadou & Mariam
Artistiya

Again, I'm not normally into the African stuff, but I heard this and just liked it.  And, for once, the song I heard on the radio isn't the best song on the whole CD, which I appreciate.

Sorry for the odd transition.  To fit everything on my CD, I had to cut out an intro to the next song which would've made a lot of sense here.

Jazz Passengers
Your Ambivalence
I first heard this band in college.  Even though I don't normally like Jazz (some of this CD notwithstanding), I love this CD (In Love).  I haven't heard anything else by this group that I've liked, but maybe I should go back and look again.

Loituma
Leva's Polka
An a capella polka?  How could I not put this on here?  The language is Finnish (although some of it has to be scat).

Lily Allen
Alfie

I heard Lily Allen so much everywhere all the time that I had to get the CD.  This is a fun little song.

Nadka Karadzhova and Svetla Ivanova
Begala Radka

Becuase you don't listen to enough Bulgarian folk music.  Two points for you if you can tell the time signature this is in the first time you listen to it. 

Teresa Bright
Hawaiian War Chant

The Hawaiians were once a race of war-like people, intent on slaughtering and enslaving people from neighbor islands.  This modern-day war chant it is a glorious testiment to what pussies the Hawaiians have become.  Really, a war chant shouldn't make you think of pina coladas and ugly shirts. However, it's really catchy.

The Toasters
You're Gonna Pay

I won a little three-track CD and ended up loving it.  The lyrics sound very poignant.  I can't really be sure, though, since I only understand 40% of them.

Alexander Glazunov
Violin Concerto in A minor, Op. 82- Animando - Allegro - Quasi allegretto - Sempre animando

I have no idea what all those Italian words mean.  To me, it means "the last movement of this concerto".

I've got to apologize for this one; I found out too late that there's a scratch on the CD I ripped this track from.  On most CD players you can barely notice, but on my cheapest, most pathetic CD player it completely crashes the entire track 2 mintues before the CD is over.  I left it in there because it works on 4/5 players I tried it on, you probably have better players than I do, and I didn't want to make y'all wait on my getting a replacement.  If it screws up, let me know and I'll send you the repaired track.

That's it.  Hope you enjoy the CD!

[edited by Scyess on 05-31-07 at 9:05:12pm]

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-23-07 10:21pm (new)

gabe_billings
President and CEO of Wirthlingsux Inc.

Member Rated:

It's shit like this that makes me feel like a musical retard. CDs full of artists I've never even heard of. Now I feel like a dork who sent out a disc full of music that everyone already has.

---
100 pounds of shit in a 25 pound sack.

5-24-07 10:13am (new)

Scyess

Member Rated:

From previous swaps, I can tell you this:  obscurity is not strongly correlated to quality.  In fact, one of the best swap CDs I ever got was PhreakyChichchilla's -- and it was full of songs I already knew but would never think about, like Lime in the Coconut and The Muppet Show Theme Song.

A lot of times people try to put wierd stuff on their CDs and it just ends up turning into a huge mess.  (I'm not excluding myself from that generalization, although this time I stuck mostly to stuff I've been listening to recently.)

But surely you've heard of Blood, Sweat & Tears, Dr. John, The Pirates of Penzance, and Cab Calloway?  And Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse are pretty popular right now.

If you want a side swap, I'm all for it.  We can even swap in person when I'm out your way in August.

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-24-07 10:40am (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

Scyess

Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No. And that's just 'heard of'. I wouldn't know any of their songs if they came up and sodomized me.

Scyess

Yeah, right. How are you planning on swapping CDs when you're on fire?

---

5-24-07 4:01pm (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

Forget I said that last part. It was supposed to be a surprise.

---

5-24-07 4:01pm (new)

Smurph
Visit me in Port Grove

Member Rated:

Uh. Amy Winehouse sings a good song, but she's uglier than a tramp's testicle. A true face for radio. Good addition though.

Urgh.

5-26-07 1:25pm (new)

gabe_billings

Member Rated:

That can be fixed.

---

5-26-07 3:24pm (new)

Scyess

Member Rated:

Smurph

Foruntaely, I'm only sending out audio CDs.  And she only has one face, so I could only shove it into one of the packages.  The others won't have to see it.

Sorry about the blood, by the way.

---
"Old" is the old new.

5-30-07 7:02am (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

The chick from Save Ferris does have an awesome voice... the first time I had heard their music was "10 Things I Hate About You" which I DOUBT is where you had first heard them.

They do a fantastic cover of 'Walking on Sunshine'.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

5-30-07 8:44am (new)

Smurph
Visit me in Port Grove

Member Rated:

The Clouds
Bower of Bliss

This is a great track. Good opening.

Blood, Sweat & Tears
Spinnin' Wheel

This is okay. Unfortunately it was used in an eighties commercial for wallpaper, so wierds me out.

'What goes up, must come down. Super Fresco makes it easy, its by Graham and Brown.' Easy to strip wallpaper. See, wierd?

Dr. John
How Come My Dog Don't Bark (when You Come Around)

Possibly my favourite track on the cd.

Gangbé Brass Band
Aou Whan

Not too bad, but I don't like the vocal.

Save Ferris
Goodbye

For Ska, this is brilliant. So, an okay song.

Amy Winehouse
You Know I'm no Good

I could listen to her all day, but if I look at her for to long, I gag. Great song.

Hungarian State Folk Ensemble
Gergely

This reminds me of something else, but its pretty cool.

Bluekilla
The New Ska Age

No. Sorry. Not my cuppa.

George Rose
I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General (from The Pirates of Penzance)

Pretend you care.

Jim Tomlinson and Stacey Kent
If I Were a Bell

Cute voice, but I don't really like the swingyness.

Cab Calloway
What's Buzzin' Cousin?

Don't think much of this one.

Harry Choates
Rye Whiskey

Despite myself, I really enjoyed this.

Wanda Jackson
I Gotta Know

Country rock and roll? Hmm...

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
Ramblin' Man

This wasn't too bad.

Amadou & Mariam
Artistiya

I liked the riff, and the vocals fit in nicely.

Jazz Passengers
Your Ambivalence
Good track, one of the best on the cd.

Loituma
Leva's Polka
Strange, but listenable. It ran through my head for a day or two after, for better or worse.

Lily Allen
Alfie

Lily Allen annoys me, but this is one of her better ones.

Nadka Karadzhova and Svetla Ivanova
Begala Radka

This is actually fantastic. When I read your description I wanted to kick you, but I don't listen to enough Bulgarian folk music.

Teresa Bright
Hawaiian War Chant

Maybe a war chant should have the enemies humming along... If so, this works.

The Toasters
You're Gonna Pay

Sorry, I hate raggae.

Alexander Glazunov
Violin Concerto in A minor, Op. 82- Animando - Allegro - Quasi allegretto - Sempre animando

Meh.

All in all, I was quite surprised by this cd, some of it is excellent, and I didn't think I'd enjoy it much. A fair bit went over my head, as I already didn't like the genre, but all in all, good stuff. Thanks, Sycess.

6-21-07 9:55am (new)

mandingo
weak stream

Member Rated:

gabe_billingsthis is how i felt after the first swap i did. someone even said something like "Dancing with Myself??" lool. i substituted last minute cause benn makking on 3rd graders pulled out, so i didn't bother to read the thread and just put together a cd of some of my favorite songs. then i got these awesome cds of music i had mostly never heard of before. but fuck it, it's not a rare music pissing contest. plus i dig your cds, oh gabe my gabe, no matter how much i hate the idea and actuality of you. (and i probably hadn't heard around half of them, not that it matters.) i've had one in my dvd drive and the other in my cd-rw for the last 4 or 5 days now. they just got usurped this morning because i just got the new polyphonic spree and white stripes to see what all the hubbub's about

---
what if nigger meant kite

6-21-07 11:02am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Swap #9--Scyess' Mix

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account