Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - BigFrank

Author

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

I figured that with 10 people, it would be easier if everyone's mix had its own thread -- instead of trying to carry on 4 mix discussions on at once in one thread.  This one is for BigFrank (obvously).  Make more when more CDs arrive.

---
"Old" is the old new.

6-02-08 9:38pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

I got my CD.  I appreciate the personal touch, even though your wordplay failed to take into account that c makes an s sound in English when it preceeds y.  Although there aren't many genres I can say "I really like that genre!" ska happens to be one of them, so I've already given the CD several listens.  Here's my quick review.

1)  We Will Fall Together -- I like this song a lot.  It mixes that "third wave" punk/ska feel together perfectly... from the vocals to the energy to the guitars and horns.  I see why it's your favorite.

2) High Fives -- Definitely has a pop sound to it.  But it seems like they're pop-y in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way... and it doesn't hurt them at all.  I doubt I could listen to a whole album of this band, but this track was fun.

3) All My Best Friends Are MetalHeads -- I've heard of "Less than Jake" many times, but I've never listened to them.  I think the reason is I keep confusing them with "Jake's Leg" -- a local piece-of-shit Phish-wanna-be jam-band piece-of-shit shit-piece band.  Anyway, I liked this song for the same reasons as track 1, although I did like the first track better.  This song had more of a rock feel to it, dispite the horn section.  Maybe this is fourth or fith wave.

4) Beer -- Ha.  I almost put this song on my own mix.  I didn't because a) I figured everyone'd already heard it and b) I knew you were doing all ska, and figured Reel Big Fish would get their shot.  Needless to say, this is a great one... although I have to say that RBF's lyrics do tend to sound the same in every song.

5) Shining On -- Now we're back to more of the ska feel.  The laid-back sound of this one is a good respite from the harder stuff earlier.  This is a great track, too.

6) Super Rad -- Kind of like track 2, this has the tongue-in-cheek pop-y sound that ska can totally get away with.

On another note, since the whole album is one genre, I'm running out of unique stuff to say by track 6.  Anyway, on with it.

7) Wasting My Life --  This "ska" track is not really "ska" at all.  Whatever this band calls themselves, this is a pop/rock song.  Not that that's bad, I'm just saying.  It's still all right.  I like the two beats they cut off in the chorus.  The electronica solo is kind of annoying, but mercifully short.

8) Favorite Show -- This is the first track I really didn't like.  Worse than that, it made me sad.  MU330 is the biggest local (St. Louis) Ska band around here, so I want to like them.  But I've never been a fan.  They always sound amateurish, and I hate the lead singer's voice.  And this track is no exception.  It's just kind of boring.  Yuck.  Move on!  Nothing to see here.

9) Ever Since I... etc. -- That's more like it.  Wisconsinness notwithstanding, I like this track.  Again, I don't really know how ska it is aside from the horn section.  But the punk/ska sound is great, too.

10) Hey -- I disagree that this is the first mix of ska with punk.  Although this one of the first songs that really has a lot of ska and a lot of punk feel at the same time.  Still like track 1 better!

11) Superman -- This song is not bad, but I don't see much special about it.  Basically a pop song with extra horns attached.

12) Keasbey Nights -- This one rivals track 1 for my favorite track of the CD.  The refrain is JUST SO FUCKING CATCHY.  It almost has an Irish drinking song feel to it.  The changing rhythms keep it interesting, but hold together.  The fun just doesn't stop on this one.  Wins the award for "most listened to by Scyess so far."

13) Crushing Destroyer -- What is this, bossa nova "third wave" classic rock?  Very interesting sound, but not something I'd be interested in persuing.  Of course, it sucks to follow Keasbey Nights.

14)  Clear -- Maybe I was ODing on "third wave" by this point, but for no reason I can figure out, I wasn't a big fan of this one.  I guess these guys are the "Shonen Knife" of ska.  There are some good ska bands out of Japan, though.  Germany, too.  Must be an Axis thing.

15) Insubordination -- Sounds like a frenetic chase scene at a circus.  Yes, that's a good thing.  This one is fun... and the parts with the ska upbeats played on the snare are kind of neat.  And, of course, I always like musical shouting.

16) Infectuous -- Woah... it's disca.  It's like a song from the 80s with Daft Punk on backup.  Not bad... but not quite infectious.  The guitar solo is pretty awful.

Overall, this was a great CD.  It's always good when I find some bands I want to hear more of.  I suppose I was just lucky that I happen to like your genre of choice.

And now I feel compelled to point you to the most excellent ska radio show ever.  They have streaming audio Fridays 8 - 10 pm (central), and also archived streams from two shows ago.  Good stuff here... check it out.

Thanks, BigFrank!

---
"Old" is the old new.

6-02-08 9:53pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Also received the BF ska diska diska diska diska diska -- sorry. Gave it the ol' once-through tonight. Heard some really cool stuff. I'll have to 'ear it some more before giving my thoughts. Thanks!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

6-02-08 10:42pm (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

Thanks for review Scyess! I will admit I scraped the bottom of the barrel with a few songs when I was trying to provide a truly 'diverse' disc consisting of only one genre... That's why I had to throw that Streetlight Manifesto song on there: I knew it'd be impossible for anyone to hate it.

I definitely recommend checking ANYTHING out by Streetlight Manifesto, and anything from Catch 22's album 'Keasbey Nights'. Definitely fine specimen of ska.

6-03-08 7:39pm (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

I got mine. I have to say that I'm really not big on ska in general; I like some songs, I dislike others. It was kind of the same with the CD, but I liked all the songs enough that I can put it in as some background music for when I'm doing something else.  I'll probably put it in my Xbox; the CD's eons above the crap soundtracks on most of my games.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

6-04-08 6:13am (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Received today... am currently listening.

Upon reading liner notes, I have heard of several of these bands. A golden oldie you should check out (had you not already done so) is Save Ferris. Its a woman singer, and Jesus balls she's got some pipes.

This genre is by no means unfamiliar to me. Several of my floormates in res were ska-listeners. One even taught me how to properly "skank" (the form of dance one does to ska music). Said person was a male, drunk, at a very busy bar on a Saturday night. Good times.

A few stand-out tracks/notes.

3. All My Best Friends are Metal Heads - Less Than Jake One of my favourite ska bands of all time. I started listening to them when I was like 16... almost 7 years ago, blimey!

4. Beer - Reel Big Fish When I worked at music store # 2, my boss was HUGE into these guys. So when closing time came around, they were cranked right up more often than not. Again, wicked ska band.

11. Superman - Goldfinger Saw these guys in concert when I was 17. They got an audience volunteer to eat a twinkie out of the guitarists ass. Like, they literally shoved the twinkie in there and got someone to bite it out. Turns out that I knew the guy that did it, brother of a friend of mine. GOOD TIMES.

12. Keasbey Nights - Catch 22 An ex of mine was literally obsessed with this band. However, when I took it upon myself to learn up on them (aka download some of their tunes) and listen to it, he found that creepy and somewhat stalker-ish. Hence the "ex".

Overall, 8 out of 10 horns facing upwards. 

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

6-11-08 3:32pm (new)

Rabid_Weasle
Professional style cramper

Member Rated:

little_kitty

Way to like Sum 41 lameass.

---
Poop.

6-13-08 12:39pm (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Rabid_Weasle

Way to like Sum 41 lameass.

You must have been there in order to know that Sum 41 was playing, so you're the bigger lame ass. And I did happen to like Sum 41 at the time. It was the epitome of their career.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

6-13-08 1:19pm (new)

Rabid_Weasle
Professional style cramper

Member Rated:

I remembered hearing about it on the radio.

---
Poop.

6-13-08 9:49pm (new)

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

Got Frank's a while ago, and I must say I was pleased. Fan of Ska, not really a huge fan but a fan nonetheless. Here's my thoughts:

We Will Fall Together - Twenty seconds into this song I was in love. Everything about it appealed to me and I now play it loudly when I drive around so that everyone else can hear it whether they like it or not. Best track on the mix.

High Fives - A little poppier than I usually like, it ended up being really funny, which I enjoyed. I think the pop/rock sound was intentional, though I could be wrong. A good track.

All My Friends are Metalheads - Less Than Jake has the dubious honor of being one of the few really generic ska bands that I don't really like. I've never gotten over how similar a lot of their work sounds (there are, of course, exceptions). This is a song that reminds me of 90% of Anthem, so I wasn't very big on it.

Beer - Never heard this until now, though I can't imagine why. It's very good, catchy lyrics, and a great sound.

Shining On - I have always loved feel good "keep on truckin" songs like this, so it was instantly enjoyable.

Super Rad - For whatever reason I just couldn't get into this. To me it seemed like High Fives, something I liked. And yet... I dunno. Didn't click.

Wasting My Life - A good song for driving. I approve of hippos.

Favorite Show - Now this song I enjoyed. Good sound, I enjoyed the lyrics especially and the sort of un-harmony harmony that rolls with the chorus.

Ever Since I Told You I Was Deaf (You've Been Making Lots of Noise) - Erm... Okay. That was almost entirely pop, with some ska thrown in to hide from the scowling face of society. It didn't fit well, at least to me.

Hey - Now that's what I'm talking about. Give me something that changes pace four times in less than two minutes and you've got me sold. A personal favorite.

Superman - I was suprised to see Goldfinger on theis mix, as I actually recognize the name from a while back. Not that it's a bad thing, I love Goldfinger and I hadn't heard this song before, a song that is quite good.

Keasby Nights - Another great song. I dig the faster pace.

Crushing Destroyer - I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, GREAT vocals... until the chorus. I like inconsistency, but not like this. On the other hand, you have a really cool sound... until the chorus and some random part in the second half of the song. It's like it's trying to make me like it and then suddenly wants me to stick a carrot up my ass and take a picture. That is why Crushing Destroyer and I will only ever be friends, and why I don't go to her house to hang out with Annie anymore. Wait.

Clear -Where we will fall together instantly hooked me, Clear instantly repelled me with brutal force. Wasn't into the "Oh oh oh" harmony(?) at all.

Insubordination - I love the Voodoo Glow Skulls. A lot. I love this song in direct proportion to that.

Infectious - This song is hot. I personally thing it's a great track, but it does even better with girls in my car who happen to hear it, making it the best song on the CD regardless of anything I said before.

A great mix! I loved almost all of it, and am actually listening to it right now. Thanks, Frank!

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

6-26-08 8:10pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

I listened to BF's disc several times and enjoyed much of it.

However, I'm ashamed to say that it is now lost amidst the detritus surrounding my computer desk, so a more expansive review is not currently available.

Do you remember what you wrote on my disc, BF? At least if I do find it, I'll know it's from you and can say more about it.

little_kitty review coming soon ...

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-22-08 12:14pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - BigFrank

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help