Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - Scyess

Author

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

As usual, I'm too lazy to print out my track list and put it with every CD.  So here's mine.

Stripped Down

U Stink But I Love U - Billy and the Boingers
Because we're all strippers here!  This song -- originally released in the Bloom County collection Billy and the Boingers Bootleg, was actually played by a band called Mucky Pup -- whose album I bought after I found this track on some web site.  Big mistake.  They suck.  But here's a track from a band pretending to be a band drawn by the guy who coined the term "strippers" for coimc creators.  Poetic.  Or something.

Little Bitty Pretty One / Rockin' Robin - Rod Piazza
White guy plays blues harmonica in the '80s to rock songs from the 50's.  Enough said.

Two Left Feet - Filé
A little Zydeco for fun!  This band is not bad, and this track's lyrics are moderately amusing. 

105 - Guy Forsyth
After I bought this CD, I realized that I hate Guy Forsyth.  His songs rank too high on political statement and too low on musical listenability.  But I like this one.  I still want the live version I heard on the radio. 

Andy's Ride - Andy Statman Orchestra with Itzak Perlman
Itzak Perlman, of course.  And Andy Statman is just as amazing on mandolin.  Plus two guys who are just as amazing on upright bass and accordion.  I only wish this track's volume level were higher.  It's phenominal. 

The Chair - Kim Massie
St. Louis local Kim Massie sings her signature song.  If you're ever in town, see her live. 

Used - Rocket from the Crypt
A fun rock band with a horn section!  (Or a keyboardist who likes the "horn" setting.) 

Little Man - On Ensemble
This group has grown on me.  They're ostensably a taiko group, but really they play more in the way of jazz fusion.  This song is a fun one by Maz Baba.

Great Dream from Heaven - The Geyer Street Shieks
Another St. Louis local group... I just love this track. 

Balkan - Troka
A scandinavian folk group tries their hand at Balkan folk rhythms. 

Seeing Hands - Dengue Fever
I don't know what's up with this band.  Their songs all have a retro 60's sound to me, but this album was released this year.  The singer's voice is pretty cute.  Dengue rhymes with "Bengay."

Get Your Lies Straight - Terry Evans
I can't believe I haven't put this on a swap CD before. 

A Mouthful of Exhaust - Man or Astroman?
I haven't put Man or Astroman on before because I figured most people had already heard them, but then I figured, "Hey, what if they haven't!"  They're also fun in concert... playing surf guitar wearing space suits. 

You Can Have Her - The Persuasions
The classic barbershop quartet / a capella group sings just about everything well... plus I like this song to boot.  So now you have to listen to it. 

Don't Believe in Christmas - The Sonics
It's Christmas in June!  Mazel Tov. 

Fishin' Blues - Taj Mahal
Classic folk blues from the classic folk blues legend. 

some crazy bulgarian song - some crazy bulgarian band
I got this track off a CD of French and Bulgarian dances compiled by Yves Moreau, the traveling folk dance teacher.  I have no idea what it is or who sings it, but its one of my favorite songs, ever.

Telephone Call from Istanbul - Tom Waits
Tom Waits is another one who's so popular I was afraid of wasting your time by putting him on a CD.  But he's done so much stuff that maybe you haven't heard this particular track before.  It's the first Tom Waits song I ever heard. 

Don't Fence Her In - The Jolly Boys
Before "third wave" ska was (presumeably) "second wave" ska, and before that was I guess real ska, and before that was raggae, and before that calypso, and before that was whatever the hell this is.  Enjoy.

Bargeld - KMFDM
I like this band even though they consistenly fail to sound as hardcore as they seem like they're trying to sound.  This track is available remastered, but I still have the CD I bought 14 years ago.  So pardon the wimpy unremastered sound. 

Symphony #9 in C Major, 1st Movement - Mendelssohn
I was going to include the entire symphony on this CD, but alas it falls into the unwritten rule that most classical music falls into:  "the second movement must always be slow and boring."  I don't know who made up this rule, but I want to slap them.  Instead of putting in three out of four movements, I opted for just the first one.

CDs should go out early next week.  (It sucks to burn this many, as I'm sure you know.)  In the meantime... enjoy the anticipation.

[edited by Scyess on 06-16-08 at 8:06:15am]

---
"Old" is the old new.

6-05-08 12:01am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

Update!

• CDs were sent out today.
  • It cost me $60 to burn & send these things, so you'd better fucking all send some back, you deadbeat asssniffers!
  • Because I addressed the labels at 3:00 am, I accidentally sent BigFrank's disk to Wisconsin.  If you don't have forwarding, Frankie, or if you don't get your disk in 10 days or so, let me know and I'll send another one.

---
"Old" is the old new.

6-07-08 1:51pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Scyess

*Most English words containing three consectutive esses begin with ass.

Received the disc the other day. The first track made me laugh my ass off because it took me back to the first time I put the flexidisc on my record player and thought a finer song had never been performed by cartoon characters. The tuba solo by Opus Croakus is truly sublime! Matter o' fact, I still have the book and the disc on my bookshelf.

Will get to the rest of your disc eventually. What I've heard so far is mostly great.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

6-15-08 12:19am (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Received! Review to commence possibly this weekend.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

6-19-08 9:38pm (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Okay. I don't have a song by song review quite yet (been busy, what with the new engagement and the fact that I'm leaving for 2 weeks in 4 days), however I can sum it up in one statement

This CD is nothing I expected my ears to listen to. Not to say that its good or bad, this statement is completely ambiguous.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

6-24-08 6:44am (new)

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

I got this forwarded to me through my roommates back home. One more CD for me to review before August! Joy!

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

7-01-08 11:41pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Just opened this one from the stack Ive got piled up on my desk. Review forthcoming. 

7-21-08 4:52am (new)

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

Over the last two or three years I've slowly been exposed to new music, a step that was neccessary following a very sheltered childhood with little to no musical influence outside of Humpenstein's Beatles albums (which I can no longer listen to without going insane, thanks Hump) and video game soundtracks. It's sad to think that for four months my 'favorite song' was the fifth track on the Grandia 2 complementary music disc. This album served as the single most hilarious crash course in music I've ever experienced, easily taking the gold when it came to the music therein and the accompanying stories that I got out of them. But enough about that, here's the review.

U Stink But I Love U - Billy and the Boingers
There were these kids in high school that wanted me to sing in their band. When I finally went to go hear them practice, it sounded almost exactly like this track. There are hints of goodness saturated in a creamy sauce of poor production values and 'old skool,' which was really fun until I overplayed it and ruined the track for myself. I still like it.

Little Bitty Pretty One / Rockin' Robin - Rod Piazza
I don't think you could possibly hate this. I don't think anybody could even come close to maybe disliking certain parts of this. A great track.

Two Left Feet - Filé
Out there much? Instantly thought I was going to hate this song, but after a couple plays I found it oddly charming with it's strange combination of dopey lyrics and what appears to be polka possessed by the devil.

105 - Guy Forsyth

Down-and-dirty southern rock will never jive with me again, as I spent several years in Future Farmers of America raising sheep (seriously) and that's all they ever listened to. I mean, I got it, they were farmers. Goddamn.

Andy's Ride - Andy Statman Orchestra with Itzak Perlman
When I started this track up my roommate looked over at me and said, "See, that's your people's music." I assume he meant "Jew," and I'd be hard pressed to disagree (plus he's black, which means he'd have stabbed me). It's a really great number, racism aside.

The Chair - Kim Massie
I was really digging this. You just don't hear this kind of music anymore, so to hear it performed in a contemporary setting was astounding to me. Not on a regular rotation, but a great track to listen to every now and again. I approve.

Used - Rocket from the Crypt

I wasn't too much of a fun of this track. It seemed too jumpy for it's own good, with a frequent abuse of drums and horn setting.

Little Man - On Ensemble

I was not expecting Taiko. Then again, I wasn't expecting a lot of things. One of the things I've developed a predisposition to disliking  is drums when not paired with certain instruments. It causes these wierd aches in the back of my head, so Taiko by definition can't jive. Maybe if they threw in a really intense electric guitar (don't ask me why that helps).

Great Dream from Heaven - The Geyer Street Shieks

Didn't click to well, but I bet it would have if I was a pioneer fording rivers and dying of cholera on my way to Oregon.

Balkan - Troka
I actually play this song while I cook things (boil pasta). I think it gives off the neccessary ambiance for cooking that old world cuisine that I wish I knew how to make. It seems to do the trick; some girl asked me from the street under my balcony if I was cooking foreign food. I was not, leading to a round of reality checks and stark disappointment. Good track, though.

Seeing Hands - Dengue Fever
I'd have to file this under "really really high pitched vocals." I just can't deal with them.

Get Your Lies Straight - Terry Evans

Great, great track. Again, the minute+ intro had me worried, but then it picked up and really impressed me. That's rare for the genre.

A Mouthful of Exhaust - Man or Astroman?

Here in Santa Cruz I see a lot of surf comp videos, and I guarantee I've heard this in one of them. That being said, I listen to this song all the time and I appreciate being able to have it on a disc finally. Surf guitar rules!

You Can Have Her - The Persuasions
Pure win. So much of this is soaked in excellent win that it's hard to describe how win it really is. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Don't Believe in Christmas - The Sonics
Doesn't do anything for me.

Fishin' Blues - Taj Mahal
Classic. I approve.

some crazy bulgarian song - some crazy bulgarian band
A little too frenetic for my taste, and ill-suited for anything but, I assume, some crazy bulgarian dance.

Telephone Call from Istanbul - Tom Waits

I have been waiting for this part of the review since I first listened to this mix. Here's the short version: I didn't like this song. Normally I'd leave it at that, but I just can't. I just can't. Here's the long version: When I first turned on this track, I heard what I believed to be a chain smoking crackhead literally screaming strings of complete nonsense out of my speakers. Maybe it was the smoky voice or the slight hint of gurgling hiding within the throatier parts of his insane ranting, but I just wrote it off as a misfire and prepared to start jumping down the track to see if there was a part I liked, until he actually intensified his vocals. I thought he might have wanted to sound more soulful, but it sounded like it went from screaming to desperate, painful vomiting. It was possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard. Ever.

Don't Fence Her In - The Jolly Boys
I'm not sure if this was a cool island song to cool off my flaming heart, or a warm island song to melt my frozen heart. Whatever ot was, my heart was affected. I like it.

Bargeld - KMFDM

They used this song in the rythm-based rail shooting game REZ. I liked it while I was de-resolutionizing strange combinations of shapes and lines with green spheres, but without that to go along with it the track seems... less. I dunno. Definitely neutral on this one.

Symphony #9 in C Major, 1st Movement - Mendelssohn
Well there's nothing bad I can say about Mendelssohn. It's an unwritten rule that nerdy guys will end up listening to classical music before most other genres, and I was no exception back in the much nerdier 'day.' I agree with you, the second movement is slow and boring. This one is not, is good, and I love it.

Overall, this was a really great experience, as well as a CD. That one track was pretty brutal, but otherwise I need to thank you for this mix. It's a fucking good mix. Thank you.

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

9-22-08 5:53am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

1. U Stink but I love U - Billy and the Boingers
Sort of reminds me of the generic stuff on guitar hero for some reason.

2. Little Bitty Pretty One / Rockin' Robin - Rod Piazza
Don't all these harmonica blues songs end with Rockin' Robin?, I figured it must be the law or something. Enjoyable nontheless

3. Two Left Feet - File
Nice, would go down well at a wedding or shindig. Thats right, shindig.

4. 105 - Guy Forsyth
On the fence on this one, I enjoyed the dirty guitar riff, but something seemed a little too generic about the whole thing.

5. Andy's Ride - Andy Statman Orchestra with Itzak Perlman
This I love to bits. Truely Immense.

6. The Chair - Kim Massie

I can see this one appealing if seen live. Very Strong voice and personality, Enjoyable

7. Used - Rocket from the Crypt
Didn't quite know what to make of this, it has flashes of excellence, but somethings letting it down, and I couldn't quite work out what.

8. Little Man - On Ensemble
Great track, I was listening to this in a shop the other day and spent a good couple of minutes just bashing on products rhythmically, much to the general distain of my fellow shoppers.

9. Great Dream from Heaven - The Geyer Street Shieks
Sounded a bit too gospel for my tastes. Nice Harmonies though, and I enjoyed the instrumental part.

10. Balkan - Troka
Beautiful. Reet up my Street.

11. Seeing Hands - Dengue Fever
I love this, its well paced, beautifully sung, and has a rich and engaging sound.

12. Get your lies straight - Terry Evans
Didn't really do much for me at first, I think it wasn't until I started paying more attention to it though (rather than just listening on autopilot) that it grew on me.

13. A Mouthful of Exhaust - Man or Astroman
Enjoyed this, do like the surfer style, though was a little short.

14. You can Have her - The Persuasions

I like this a lot.

15. Don't believe in Christmas - the Sonics

Sort of had a Dylanesque lyrical quality jammed onto an christmas song. Bizarre.

16. Fishin Blues - Taj Mahal

Yes.

17. Some Crazy Bulgarian Song - Some Crazy Bulgarian Band
More Yes! Im starting to think you'd have probably liked my folky Gypsie-esque compilation from the previous swap.

18. Telephone Call from Instanbul - Tom Waits
Ive recieved this in a previous swap aswell. It fits this mix really well, but then to be honest its such a brilliant song it fits pretty much everything.

19. Don't Fence her in - The Jolly Boys
Not really sure what to make of this. I want to like it, but it just wouldn't take.

20. Bargeld - KMFDM
Not really my cup of tea really.

21. Symphoney No 9 - Mendelssohn

Classic way to end the cd (geddit). Beautiful.

Really enjoyed this compilation. Standout tracks for me included Balkan and Seeing Hands, not to mention the crazy bulgarian thing, Andy's Ride was rather spledid aswell. In general this mix really floated my boat. Cheers again.

10-23-08 3:57am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Scyess

Another interesting and winning compilation from Sigh-ess. Even if I hated every other song on here, I'd love it just for the first track. If you'll pardon me, I must now go drop the B-Side of "U-Stink-But-I-<3-U" onto my turntable. Ladies and Gents..."I'm A Boinger" by Steve Dallas!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-23-08 9:36am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - Scyess

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help