Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - LuckyGuess

Author

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Lucky called this one California Lowball.  The character of this music is much how I picture Lucky...fun, likeable, and not offensive in any way.

Leroy - Good Time

This is a party song...the kind that if everyone knew the words, they'd drunkenly sing along.

Kings of Leon - The Bucket List

Good follow up to the first track.

Roy Ayers - Everybody Loves the Sunshine

Ah, this song is as smooth as Billy Dee Williams pitching Colt .45.  I like the 70's soul feel to this.  If this were in a blaxploitation film, it would be the background music while the hero is driving around the ghetto trying to wrestle with his inner demons.

Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels

I always liked Tears for Fears back in their hey-day.  Right before they became famous, a kid from my school called me to ask if I wanted to go see them at a small venue in downtown Detroit.  Since I'd never heard of them and didn't want to spend the $13 on a band that might suck, I said no.  He begged and begged me to go and I'll always remember that he said they were going to be bigger than the Beatles.

I found out 15 years later that he's gay, and ever since then I've wondered if that's why he wanted me to go with him so badly.

Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom

Novelty song.

The Specials - Ghost Town

Another song I always liked from the MTV era.

The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

This is a good use of sampling but it reminds me of some Mr. Scruff songs you can only listen to infrequently or the novelty wears off.

The Coral - Dreaming of You

This song sounds entertaining at first, but then tires out quickly...kind of like the TV show you discovered it on.

The Eels - Fresh Feeling

Hey, Lucky...at the end of the credits did they have an ad for the background music?

Melissa Williamson - You're Not Here

This song was a little to melodramatic and overproduced for my tastes. 

Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven

This has so many Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman cues in it I can't mention them all.  A lot of this tune reminds me of Nasty Habits, though.

KoRn - Word Up!

YES!  I can't wait to bust this out at my next sexy party.

Cynthia Harrel - Snake Eater

I agree with the spy noir comparison--I was thinking it was a Connery era Bond film reject.

Mike Doughty - 27 Jennifers

This might be my favorite track on this disc.  I am still a big fan of Soul Coughing, but I've found Doughty's solo stuff kind of boring.  This could easily pass for a Soul Coughing song.

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

More 80's Choad concert trivia here.  Chicago was the first band I saw in concert (besides the Beach Boys, but I was with my parents, so that doesn't count).  In this case, my sister's friend backed out at the last minute, so she dragged me along and made me pay for my ticket.  I think the only Chicago song I knew then was Saturday In The Park because my sister played it all the time.  I didn't really enjoy the show all that much and because of that, I was always leery when somebody tried to get me to pay for a concert for a band I'd never heard of, like Tears for Fears.

I probably heard this song a few years later when I got more into music, and I've always liked it.

Andrew Bird - Tables and Chairs

There's nothing wrong with this song, but it doesn't do much for me.

Braincells & Snappleman - Scrambled Eggman

Rawk!

U2 - It's a Beautiful Day

Because of this song, I can't say, "It's a beautiful day," without mocking Bono.  I watched an episode of Iconoclasts earlier today where Michael Stipe and Mario Battali went to a U2 show together and they showed those two old queens, one fat, one bald, dancing and singing along to this tune.  It really ruined it.

9-20-08 6:40pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

Woohoo! Glad you liked it, and moreso since it seems to have resurfaced music related memories. Score.

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

9-22-08 4:30am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

choadwarrior

---Good disc, LG. I wish there'd been more Ray Ayers and and Avalanche-type stuff, but you gave us what you really like and still found something all us swap veterans could appreciate (and, in my case at least, hear for the first time). I think this clusterswap was a good idea. Thanks!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-23-08 11:49pm (new)

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

umfumdisi

Uh, I knew that. I was just testing you all. Every single one of you. It was a grand social experiment.

Glad you liked the mix!

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

10-27-08 1:34am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

California Lowball

1. Good Time - Leroy
I like this, lovely chilled out number with a catchy beat.

2. Bucket List - Kings of Leon

Missed em at Glastonbury, heard they went down a storm. They've always been just off my radar, which is a shame because Im sure Id probably like them, especially based on this rather relaxed little ditty.

3. Everybody Loves the Sunshine - Roy Ayers
Smooth, sort of reminded me of very early Jamiroquai, guessing Roy Ayers was one of their main inspirations back before they embraced shite pop. Getting rather relaxed in this mix so far.

4. Head over heels - Tears for Fears
One of those songs where the sum of its parts is greater than you'd expect, especially from that era. Ace.

5. Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne
I find it hard not to like this, milftastic.

6. Ghost Town - The Specials
Classic. Always loved it.

7. Frontier Psychiatrist - The Avalanches

intriguing. Most intriguing.

8. Dreaming of You - The Coral
I like the coral, but they're a little underwhelming really, I think this song got really overplayed when it first came out, but I enjoy it more now. Fun Bass line on this aswell.

9. Fresh Feeling - The Eels
I like this, fitting nicely with the chilled out feel of this compilation.

10. You're not here - Melissa Williamson
Had flashes of U2 about the guitar. Lovely voice, no complaints really, though does go on a bit longer than it maybe needed to.

11. A Little Piece of Heaven - Avenged Sevenfold
Brilliant. Love shit like this.

12. Word Up - KoRn
Taken as a cover I think they could have stamped their own authority on the song a bit more. Just seemed a wee bit too like the original.

13. Snake Eater - Cynthia Harrell
Excellent homage, comparitively speaking to the latest few Bond efforts, I think I prefer this. MGS3 is on my list of games to have a sniff at, more so now. Love this.

14. 27 Jennifers - Mike Doughty
Enjoyable.

15. 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
Yep, hard not to like. Early 70s was the best time for rock really.

16. Tables and Chairs - Andrew Bird
Not really sure what to make with it, Id have possibly moved this and Scrambled Eggman around, Its a lovely song, not entirely sure it follows chicago that well.

17. Scambled Eggman - Braincells & Snappleman
Id toyed with the idea of doing a full VG music compilation for one of these swaps, but its definately difficult to strike a balance between some of the excellent music and sheer geekyness. I had found a rather good band online who do music like this called Megadriver. Great guitar work on this track, though I am a geek so appreciate it on the game level aswell.

18. Beautiful Day - U2
One of the tv channels in the UK used this for their footy show's titles. It lost all charm with me after that. Shame because I actually think its a good song.

--
Well California Lowball, Very Chilled effort which Ive enjoyed loads, nice mix of the old with the new, Stand out song was A Little Piece of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold which just pushed all the right buttons. The Snake eater song aswell, great song with a John Barryesque vibe. Cheers, great compilation.

12-09-08 10:30am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - LuckyGuess

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help