Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » General Discussion » My Wonderful Music Reviews

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

My friend and I have a website where we review music/bands and such called The Green Book (yeah, that domain was taken; go figure). We named it after a Steely Dan song.

It's a work in progress. We might do another large list this year. A shorter Van Halen-style list is currently in the works for ZZ Top.

Our impetus was creating a list of the Top 50 Rush songs for a band we feel deserves more acclaim than what they usually receive (took them a looooong time to get into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, for example).

Anyway, check it out when you're bored or hard-up for entertainment. I'm TG. I also do the artwork. Thanks.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

1-24-17 1:32am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

I was entertained by Bad Company vs. Foreigner even though I'm too young to really know either of those bands.

In fact, because I don't really know about Bad Company, anytime someone mentions them I semi-consciously think of Bad Religion instead (whom I know a little bit and have at least one album by).  I'm sure that's highly amusing, but, as we've established, I don't know enough to really appreciate how amusing it is.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

1-24-17 7:27am (new)

biped
Mr. Wonderful

Member Rated:

Cool!  I'm reading the Beatles article currently.  Will peruse the rest later.  BTW, I do love their early stuff the best, with "She Loves You" being my all-time favorite Beatles song.

---
Legend, oh legend, the third wheel legend...always in the way.

1-24-17 11:11pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

In fact, because I don't really know about Bad Company, anytime someone mentions them I semi-consciously think of Bad Religion instead.

That in itself is pretty funny. Hopefully you don't get both of them confused with Bad English. Or, holy shit, Color Me Badd.

Maybe I should do my next comparison about Bad English and Damn Yankees -- the "British" vs American supergroups of the late 1980s! (the only Brit in BE was singer John Waite).

I suppose it was more of a friendly rivalry since several of the guys from both groups played together in other bands at one time or another, but that doesn't sell ad space (wait, our website don't have any ad space...or ads!).

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

1-25-17 10:28pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

biped wrote:

Cool!  I'm reading the Beatles article currently.  Will peruse the rest later.  BTW, I do love their early stuff the best, with "She Loves You" being my all-time favorite Beatles song.

Thanks. I obviously lean towards their later catalog for my picks, but She Loves You is joyous, and much of their early work is pure energy. My Mom had several of their singles, so those were my introduction to the Fab Four.

---

1-25-17 11:13pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

umfumdisi wrote:

Hopefully you don't get both of them confused with Bad English. Or, holy shit, Color Me Badd.

Yes to the first, no to the second, although I might get Color Me Badd confused with Another Bad Creation.

I just looked it up and Color Me Badd are still on tour!  This year!  Possibly coming to a city near you!

Brutal, but hilarious.

Yeah, this gets me every time too.  You know, between this and the Police's "Every Breath You Take" (which my friends and I refer to as "the stalker song"), you've got the start of a whole mixtape about abusive relationships.

I'm a late-Beatles kind of guy myself, but really, you can hardly go wrong with any of their stuff.  Interesting tidbit, though: you know the end of She's So Heavy when they stop singing and just repeat the same few bass notes for a while?  Well, when I was growing up we had that album on vinyl.  And the record had a scratch in it.  Right there.  So that bass just looped on and on forever.  So yeah, not my favorite Beatles song.

By the way, here's some free web design advice: make the font on the site bigger.  First, it'll be easier to read against the busy background (although reducing the opacity of the background images was a good move too).  Second, research tells us that once the number of words per line gets above a certain point, it's more work for people to read.  I don't remember what the cutoff is but you're definitely above it, at least on my monitor.  I'll spare you the full-blown course on CSS, but enlarging the font is a low-hanging fruit that will help alleviate both of those problems.

---

1-26-17 10:40am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

By the way, here's some free web design advice: make the font on the site bigger.  First, it'll be easier to read against the busy background (although reducing the opacity of the background images was a good move too).  Second, research tells us that once the number of words per line gets above a certain point, it's more work for people to read.  I don't remember what the cutoff is but you're definitely above it, at least on my monitor.  I'll spare you the full-blown course on CSS, but enlarging the font is a low-hanging fruit that will help alleviate both of those problems.

Never thought about that. The other guy handles the web stuff, so I'll suggest increasing the font.

And you mean words per line as far as the text being stretched out across the page? Yeah, I get that. Might be worth making a change in that direction. I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

But, yes, I have tried to make the backgrounds as light as possible while still being visible. Some are more obtrusive than others, but that's our style. Also, my buddy happens to be against links to videos and such, so that's why we don't have those (even though I've wanted to include some).

Thanks for the advice. When we put up anything new, I'll post here.

---

1-29-17 12:56am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Yeah.  An alternative/complementary approach would be to impose a maximum width on the paragraphs (regardless of browser window size).

umfumdisi

To be honest, I'm on his side.  I rarely watch videos on the web.  I prefer text because I can read it at my own pace.  If you're talking about linking to videos of the songs you're discussing, that's not so bad, but you know some of those links are going to go stale when the RIAA catches up with them.

---

1-30-17 7:58am (new)

Stripcreator » General Discussion » My Wonderful Music Reviews

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help