Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » eSwap 2.0

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Okay, we have (unless informed otherwise):

umfum

TheGovernor

evil d

jes_lawson

dcomposed

1) DropBox is the preferred method.

The basic version of DropBox is free. Create your mix with digital files and put them in a zip file. Password protect your zip file if you like. Upload the zip file to DropBox and place it in a folder. Invite your mates above to share/view the file.

2) If you can't/don't wanna do DropBox, then let us know how to get the files to you via email and state you per-mail MB limit (Gmail is 25MB, for example).

3) Another option would be to send links to song videos via YouTube or use a Spotify or similar playlist. Work it out amongst yourselves.

4) If you want to post a review of the playlist(s) you receive, please do so; however, doing so is not required. It is very appreciated, though. ;)

5) If anyone else wants to join, please let us know so we can get your info/send you info.

Thanks and enjoy!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

7-16-17 9:18pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

I am slooowly putting together a track list.  Expect it sometime before the end of this year.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

9-05-17 8:18am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

I'm on for this, as stated in the 1.0 thread.  Tracklist is compiled, more or less, just need to mix it down and zip it up.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

9-15-17 6:52am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

No rush here. Would be great to get stuff before year's end. I'll send out a friendly reminder before then.

Wasn't satisfied with my first mix attempt, so I sat on it for a while. Then I cut some stuff and added other songs. Now it's good...hopefully.

Working on art and such.

[hr]

In other news, I'm going to see John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring together in concert in November.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-25-17 8:13pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Just shared my list with three of you on Dropbox.  Dcom, if you're in, send me the e-mail address for your Dropbox account.

Will try to get some comments up in the next week or two.  Or sometime.  Until then, enjoy.

---

12-15-17 6:34pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Here's my tracklist and some thoughts on it.

The cover image is a screenshot I took in The Last of Us.  My wife said it looked like an album cover, so now it is one.

01. Aya Higuchi — Waltz no. 19 - op. posth: A minor

This is a Musopen recording of a piece composed by Frédéric Chopin.  Musopen makes public-domain recordings of classical music.  (Classical music is pretty much all in the public domain by now, but recordings are still, by default, owned by the musicians who recorded them.  So Musopen pays people to make recordings and then place them in the public domain.)

02. Mastodon — Naked Burn

lyrics

I bought this Mastodon album (Leviathan) because the first track has a single guest verse from Neil Fallon of Clutch.  It was a good decision.  This song typifies what I think of when I think of metal music: high-intensity songs about mythology with heavy guitar sounds.

(By the way, I think this is the first Stripcreator swap where I haven't included a Clutch song.)

03. Jurassic 5 — Jurass Finish First

lyrics

I learned about J5 from a Stripcreator swap, indirectly -- dcom gave us a Roots Manuva track with Chali 2na as a guest.  Chali 2na is the deeper of the two voices on this track.  In fact, Chali 2na is probably the deepest voice on every track he's ever been on.

04. B.B.Rights — Funky Radio

This is from the Jet Set Radio soundtrack.  The sequel, Jet Set Radio Future, is a better game, in my opinion, but the original Jet Set Radio (for the Dreamcast; called Jet Grind Radio in the US) has one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

05. Spin Doctors — Yo Mama's a Pajama

lyrics

If this song has any kind of deeper meaning, it's news to me.

06. anima — Goodbye Overseas

Anima are French, from what I gather.  I don't know why their lyrics are in English.  I don't know much about them, actually, but I stumbled across this album (Broken Lands) and thought it was some pretty good punk rock.

07. Blackalicious — Supreme People

lyrics

If you want more Blackalicious, I highly recommend The Craft, the album this is from.  I was originally going to include Side to Side, a really fun song about clubbing with two guest MCs, but decided to switch to this track after I used some lines from it as the titles of my CC675 entries.

08. SoulEye — pushing onwards

From PPPPPP, the soundtrack to the indie video game VVVVVV.  If you like platformers and haven't played this game, you should.

09. Jazz de Paris — Somebody Loves Me

lyrics

My brother bought this CD from some random guy on the streets of Paris and it didn't exactly come with liner notes, so the artist name may not be accurate.  I looked up the song and it turns out it's a George Gershwin jazz standard from the '20s.  Normally I hate Gershwin so I'm going to give the credit to the performer for making me like this song.

Anyone else think it's weird that in three years we're not going to be able to say "the '20s" to refer to the Jazz Age anymore?

10. Mega Ran feat. KadeshFlow — Church

lyrics

I know I put two Mega Ran songs in the last swap, but what can I say -- this is what I've been listening to.  At least this one has a new guest MC.  Also, this track is a Patreon exclusive, so you're in an elite club now.  (There's a version of it on his latest album, with SisQó instead of KadeshFlow, but it's just not as good.)

11. Mindless Self Indulgence — Tom Sawyer

lyrics

Now that I know umfum likes Rush, I figure he'll either love this track or hate it, and I'm okay with either.

12. Carolina Chocolate Drops — Your Baby Ain't Sweet Like Mine

lyrics

A kazoo solo, talk of jelly rolls and putting people in line -- what more could you ask for in a love song?

13. Darren Korb — Brusher Patrol

From the Bastion soundtrack.  Supergiant Games have been putting out some really interesting stuff, but I don't think they've yet surpassed their first game.

14. Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox — I'm Not The Only One

lyrics

PMJ record modern (roughly, '80s and later) songs in older (roughly, '20s to '50s) popular musical styles.  I recommend watching videos or seeing them live because the costumes and dancing are part of the act. This is a cover of a Sam Smith song and honestly, I don't even know who Sam Smith is.

15. Klopfenpop — Duck and Cover

I don't really know much about this guy, but he posted this track on /r/nerdcore and I liked it.  When I decided to add it to this list, back in August, I had no idea it would seem so relevant to current events.

---

12-19-17 6:28am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Cheers for that evil_d - all I need to do is zip up mine in time for X-mas, which will be done by GMT 22:00 (at latest)  Password will be "norniron"

---

12-23-17 2:24pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Blast - power cut earlier.  Hope no-one minds getting the full thing a day or so later than I planned; I'd like to add the proper finishing touches to it rather than spin it off into the ether unpolished.

---

12-24-17 3:05pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Well, about a month ago, I was supposed to post a reminder to upload your swaps. So...upload your swaps!

evil_d hath done so.

jes is working on his.

i should have one up soon.

Better late than next year :)

---

12-27-17 7:50pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Funk Soul Expedition is uploaded and ready.

P for zip file is: umfum

Artwork and tracklist included at no extra charge!

---

12-27-17 9:34pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Received.  First listening has commenced.

---

12-29-17 8:52am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Mine's now up in my dropbox and evil_d and umfum are the first two confirmed guests.  If anyone else is defnitley on for this, pass their e-mail along.

Listening commences soon...

---

12-30-17 7:19am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

jes_lawson wrote:

Mine's now up in my dropbox and evil_d and umfum are the first two confirmed guests.  If anyone else is defnitley on for this, pass their e-mail along.

Right - seems I didn't sweep up all the shortcuts and one track is still only a link.  Oops, sorry :-)  This will be fixed within 24 hours.  Happy New Year all.

---

1-01-18 5:08am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

jes_lawson wrote:

jes_lawson wrote:

jes_lawson wrote:

Right - seems I didn't sweep up all the shortcuts and one track is still only a link.  Oops, sorry :-)  This will be fixed within 24 hours.  Happy New Year all.

You can now hear Your Children Are Screaming - Live.  Don't worry, it turns out OK for Niall and his recurring nightmare...

---

1-01-18 1:12pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Did my invites and files go through okay?

I have another one to send out and want to make sure.

Also, I'm having an eSwap listening party this weekend, so I will comment on tracks received then. Thanks, gents!

---

1-02-18 11:43pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Have listened to umfum's mix a few times so far and am liking it.  I'm not sure how much I can say about it by way of a review. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around songs that don't have lyrics.  I don't have the musical vocabulary to point out particular passages or techniques that I like.

What I can say so far is that the Quantic and Frankie Seay and the Soul Riders tracks are my favorites -- the ones that, when they come on, make me stop and check the track list.  I can also say that all of these are going on my media center, to be played when guests are over or when I'm doing work around the house.

[hr]

Jes, how do I get your corrected ZIP file?  I didn't get an e-mail about it like I did for the original one.

---

1-07-18 11:09am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

I'm not sure how much I can say about it by way of a review. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around songs that don't have lyrics.

Yeah, this is that kind of mix. Appeals more to the ass than the head. :)

---

1-21-18 12:13am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

WJES:

1: intro and outro – fantastic

2: don’t knock – quite lovely, if maudlin

3: your children are screaming – not sure about that dude’s jagged voice, but that jagged guitar solo was top notch (found it on YouTube since the file was wonkeroo)

4: kids don’t behave like this – this reminds me of some US band, but I can’t place which one. very good, though

5: set guitars to kill – in the fine tradition of “my guitar wants to kill your mama” but much, much better

6: some may revel in it – i did

7: make some room – jump around in that room, knock that room down when this track hits

8: release yo self – goes a little long, but it’s hard to go wrong with Method Man + Prodigy

9: old yellow bricks – just like Shakespeare -- i don’t understand all the words, but the flow is impressive

10: livin’ at the corner of – another bright bastard from a pregnant mashup, er, matchup

11: Pyongyang – who is this John Peel of whom you often speak? jk, but i’d probably pass out in disbelief if some American “DJ” played this

12: cock muff bum hole – wrote a song about cock muff bum holes. wanna hear it? here it go!

13: kindling fickle flame – another fookin’ beaut

14: undercover martyn – if this is typical 2DCC, then i haven’t been listening to them enough

15: the divine comedy – Bowiesque? damn good

16: tip the can – have to admit i was a bit disappointed that this wasn’t a song performed by the actual cast of Cheers. still love the interplay of the rhythm parts

17: frost – that’s one hell of a depressing Christmas song…oh, wait

18: corpse’s candle – you got a lot of talent in that wee country of yours

19: i am not done – i am; i am all out of superlatives; i believe you have outdone yourself with this compilation, and that’s saying a lot

20: take me to church – this was all over the place stateside a couple of (a few?) years ago, so i’m sure people started to hate it, but it’s a damn fine song. i liked Making Mirrors by Gotye; it sounded like an Australian Peter Gabriel album

21: Christmas for cowboys – if i learned one thing from Dumb And Dumber, it’s that john Denver is full of shit

22: o tannenbaum – o Charlie Brown / o Charlie Schulz / how fortunate you were / to get Vince Guaraldi / to play your Christmas tunes

23: hallelujah!- what’s more Christmas than singing Swedes? i hear the Coldplay thing

24: Christmas wrapping – did the Spice Girls cover this? that’s the only version i’ve ever heard (i don’t know that it was them, but it always sounded like them to me). this version is more organic and funky

25: alive – apropos for New Year’s, but charming enough for other times

[hr]

I mean, damn, if you had a Sirius XM station, I'd have to listen to it. Thanks for all the great music you've provided over the years. Here's to more coming in 2018!

---

1-21-18 12:22am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

The cover image is a screenshot I took in The Last of Us. My wife said it looked like an album cover, so now it is one.

Your wife was correct. I've heard that's a good game, but I've never played it.

evil_d wrote:

01. Aya Higuchi — Waltz no. 19 - op. posth: A minor

That's really excellent that they pay for recordings and then make them public. If there's a link between this waltz and Mastodon, I'm not catching it. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

This should have been in Fallout4. Maybe it was, and it's been too long since I've played it to remember.

evil_d wrote:

02. Mastodon — Naked Burn

(By the way, I think this is the first Stripcreator swap where I haven't included a Clutch song.)

Yeah, what the hell's wrong with you? :) While I'm here, how do you feel about Earth Rocker?

This song confirms that I need more Mastodon in my collection. I only have one CD of theirs.

evil_d wrote:

03. Jurassic 5 — Jurass Finish First

Oh, shit, this takes me back. Makes me think of the Jungle Brothers, A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul. That recent DLS album was pretty good -- different than their old stuff but good.

evil_d wrote:

04. B.B.Rights — Funky Radio

Having never heard this before, I can only agree that the soundtrack it's from must be great.

evil_d wrote:

05. Spin Doctors — Yo Mama's a Pajama

Recently read John Popper's autobiography Suck And Blow, and he mentions these guys a lot. Turns out they both came out of the same scene in NYC. Blues Traveler had faster success, but the Doctors had their two huge hit songs and then thought they were the biggest band in the world.

Of course, they went out of style faster than a fidget spinner while Blues Traveler persevered and turned their sound and band into a career.

His book is all over the place, but Popper is mostly entertaining and pretty darn funny. I don't know how his co-author kept him on topic.

evil_d wrote:

06. anima — Goodbye Overseas

thought it was some pretty good punk rock.

They're French? Sacre bleu! It is good punk rock with a nice metal edge. Great pick.

evil_d wrote:

07. Blackalicious — Supreme People

I'll go ahead and admit that I like my Rap in smaller doses as I get older, so these comps are perfect for that. I just mentioned (above) the most recent Rap album I bought, and there were parts of it I didn't care for or didn't care that much about. I liked it overall, but, yeah, small doses.

evil_d wrote:

08. SoulEye — pushing onwards

So why no Cuphead music? Too popular?

This next track could have fit in with Cuphead:

evil_d wrote:

09. Jazz de Paris — Somebody Loves Me

Anyone else think it's weird that in three years we're not going to be able to say "the '20s" to refer to the Jazz Age anymore?

Now that you mention it, yes. Maybe '20s Jazz will make a come back just in time. I know what you mean about Gershwin, but this one is carried off by the singer.

evil_d wrote:

10. Mega Ran feat. KadeshFlow — Church

this track is an exclusive, so you're in an elite club now.

Love what they did with the Mario music. Frickin' excellent.

Funny that you and Jes put songs with Church in the title, and I included one with God. Well...I'm going to. You'll see.

evil_d wrote:

11. Mindless Self Indulgence — Tom Sawyer

I figure he'll either love this track or hate it, and I'm okay with either.

I dig it, but I think most Rush fans would die and then roll over in their graves if they heard this. Ha. I think it's very well done.

My friend and I have disicussed that it's hard to cover Rush because you end up just playing the song to show you can play it or change it so much that the people who might appreciate it will hate it.

Turns out Rush has released a couple of recent multi-disc anniversary editions of their classic albums with complete concerts included. Also, they added some cover versions of their songs by other artists, but nothing like this!

evil_d wrote:

12. Carolina Chocolate Drops — Your Baby Ain't Sweet Like Mine

A kazoo solo, talk of jelly rolls and putting people in line -- what more could you ask for in a love song?

They're an interesting band, for sure. I DLed a bunch of their stuff back in the day. Still haven't listened to all of it. That's one problem with digital music for me -- out of sight, out of mind.

evil_d wrote:

13. Darren Korb — Brusher Patrol

I have to say here that I've thoroughly enjoyed all the video game soundtrack music you've provided over the years. Where else can you hear retro bluegrass metal electronica all in the same song (like here)? Excellent.

evil_d wrote:

14. Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox — I'm Not The Only One

honestly, I don't even know who Sam Smith is.

You lucky, lucky bastard. This version makes up for the regular one. Thanks.

Also, Sam Smith (wrote? and) performed a song for the Bond film Spectre after the studio turned down Radiohead's requested submission. Of course, someone subsequently put Radiohead's song over the film's opening title sequence. Skip ahead to 1:45 of the video if you want to see/hear it.

evil_d wrote:

15. Klopfenpop — Duck and Cover

I had no idea it would seem so relevant to current events.

You're supposed to say that you knew it was going to be relevant, and that's why you included it...

Having heard some of the source material, this track is disturbingly funny. Well done, Klopfenpop.

[hr]

Also, well done evil d. You always make me feel like I'm not listening to enough stuff. I mean, I can't listen to everything, so thank you for being an extra set of ears!

---

1-21-18 1:45am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

sent out an invitation to another mix. no pass. njoy.

Anyone heard from TheGov?

---

1-21-18 2:08am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

umfumdisi wrote:

evil_d wrote:

The Last of Us

I've heard that's a good game, but I've never played it.

I recommend it.  Story and gameplay are both very good.

umfumdisi

None thematically, I just liked the way they sounded together.

umfumdisi

Not their best album.  There's never been a Clutch record I disliked, but there have been some that failed to excite me, and Earth Rocker was one of those.  "The Face" was excellent, and "Cyborg Bette" was alright; I just wish the rest of the album had been equal to them.  I had been worried that Clutch were on a permanent downward trajectory until they came out with Psychic Warfare in 2015.

umfumdisi

I actually haven't played Cuphead yet, but the consensus seems to be that it's very good and I ought to.

umfumdisi

Yeah, I can see that.

I've grabbed your second mix but have only had time for one half of a listen so far.  Early impression is pretty positive, though.

---

1-23-18 9:31am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Hey sorry guys, Ive been effectively lurgified throughout January so have barely had a chance to do anything swap related. I'll get on that shortly.

2-02-18 2:36am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Ditto here. I REALLY need to get time to listen and give some proper feedback on the swaps, maybe when I haven't had several flu strains, work, and two sick friends to look out for.  But thanks for the positive words :-)  

---

3-14-18 2:44pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I noticed TheGuv has updated in the last couple of weeks, thanks for that!!  I'll have to take a day off to relisten to all the swaps as I'm pulling 10 hour days in butbat least i have a good (I think) theme for a bonus compilacomp when the time comes alsi stupid phone keypad 

---

4-24-18 2:00pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I noticed TheGuv has updated in the last couple of weeks, thanks for that!!  I'll have to take a day off to relisten to all the swaps as I'm pulling 10 hour days in butbat least i have a good (I think) theme for a bonus compilacomp when the time comes alsi stupid phone keypad 

---

4-24-18 2:01pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » eSwap 2.0

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help