Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Showcase » TOBOR IN CHAINS!

Author

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 1']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 2']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 3']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 4']

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

1-02-02 6:00pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Interesting that you set that comic in my home state. I was just mentioning something about sodomy laws on another message board a couple of days ago and offered up NC as an example.

I think this means that about 90% of the 14 and older population are fellations... umm... fellons.

1-02-02 9:24pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Well, I picked it from a list of states with sodomy laws. Somehow, Michigan or Massachusetts didn't seem right.

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 5']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 6']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 7']

To be continued...

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

1-03-02 8:16pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

*chuckle*

Continue! Continue! :)

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

1-04-02 7:18am (new)

itsclark
Bar Room Superman

Member Rated:

Heh. Good series.

---
"You'll burn for this. Burn in jail!"

1-04-02 6:47pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 8']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 9']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 10']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 11']

To be continued...

---

1-04-02 8:38pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 12']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 13']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 14']

To be continued...

---

1-06-02 4:48pm (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

Hooray, a good thread in the RMDC forum, I was going to wait till this was finished before I praised it, but I see it becoming an ongoing thing, so I'll praise it now.

Fuzzyman, you are a God.

is that adequate praise?

---
Dad was flammable

1-06-02 5:35pm (new)

Kevin_Keegans_Perm
Bean There, Done That

Member Rated:

Fuzzyman utilising a concept ive always felt was an excellent choice for a judge to make

Feed them and clothe them for 30 years , or just kill em on the spot.

TOBOR WINS!

(as does the Fuzzmeister. Another quite superb comic)

---
"Life Sucks, Then you Die. The bit inbetween isnt very funny either"

1-06-02 6:08pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I think that's more than adequate praise. I appreciate the encouragement, because I wasn't sure if this one was any good relative to the other Tobor sagas. The gags are certainly harder to think up, but maybe I haven't watched enough prison films.

---

1-06-02 7:12pm (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

If Tobor dies in the end, a la "The Green Mile", I'll kill you.

---
Dad was flammable

1-06-02 7:30pm (new)

fpd
Doctor of Fine Parody

Member Rated:

This is a very good series. You're showing that your place in my favorites list is well-deserved.

---
FPD is the foremost plague on discussion boards. Do your part to stomp out FPD.

1-06-02 7:55pm (new)

DH-01
Stripcreator Regular

Member Rated:

You are not officially on my faves list as well. Damn, that kept me in stitches... good show!

-DH1

---
Needs more sodomy.

1-07-02 1:55pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 15']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 16']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 17']

To be continued...

---

1-07-02 7:44pm (new)

israphael
Stripcreator Veteran

Member Rated:

Don't be disrespecting the threads.

Classic!

---
"Nothing expresses the brutal grandeur of rectal polyps and anal fistulae quite like the mother-tongue of Goethe."

1-07-02 8:23pm (new)

ArSiNiK
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

hAHHHAHahaHAh... oh shit. that was great.

1-08-02 3:12pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 18']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 19']

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 20']

The madness will, indeed, be continued...

---

1-08-02 4:07pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Lots of ideas tonight for some reason!

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 21']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 22']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 23']

To be continued...

---

1-08-02 5:46pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

[Click to view comic: ' TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 24']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 25']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 26']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 27']

---

1-09-02 3:10pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

The thrilling conclusion...

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 28']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 29']

[Click to view comic: 'TOBOR IN CHAINS! - Episode 30: Epilogue']

THE END!

---

1-09-02 5:26pm (new)

Kevin_Keegans_Perm
Bean There, Done That

Member Rated:

Another Winner.

Now. Come up with a "Winning" Fuzzyman catchphrase , and youll be the belle of the ball.

Or something like that.

---
"Life Sucks, Then you Die. The bit inbetween isnt very funny either"

1-09-02 6:49pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Now how the hell can *I* keep a series going like that, bring it to a fun conclusion, and have it actually be funny?

1-09-02 6:58pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Drinking helps.

Seriously, I find that spreading it out over several days helps. During my drive to and from work I'd just think, "Okay, now what would happen?" and let the characters do their thing.

I learned a lot about setups by doing this one. Episodes 19 and 23 have essentially the same strucure: A common phrase is uttered in the second panel ("I came as soon as I heard") but the last panel defines the phrase in a way other than we expect ("No, you misunderstand me. What I mean is...").

I'm sure I didn't invent this setup, but it's neat to discover how jokes work. The other one I find interesting is how Episode 21 is funny enough on it's own, but it really only exists to make Episode 22 possible (which to me, is much funnier). But without the previous episode, 22 couldn't exist. Interesting.

Okay, I'm over-analyzing this. But honestly, when all is said and done I look at it and say, "I just did 30 episodes about an ass-raping robot that goes to prison. Where the hell did THAT come from?"

But thank you all. If it weren't for the encouragement I probably would have ended this in 15 episodes or so... but you all convinced me to extend it somewhat. I'm glad it worked out that way.

---

1-09-02 7:39pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Uh huh huh huh... he said "extend."

I've only tried writing two series as such. "Starstruck," which I didn't intend to make a series of (and which I never finished... I think it fizzled at 13 or so) was the first. The second was the 19 strip series that I took to completion and that won that comic contest. I think I did the first five in one afternoon, then the other 14 all rapid-fire style during intense sleep deprivation... and while I'm happy with the series as a whole, it's got nothing on this.

I'll have to take your advice into consideration about other series. I think part of my problem is that in general, I have a tough time coming up with ideas when I'm not given some guidelines (like the rules of a contest) to work with and/or around. Hey, maybe I could make a series based on the rules of an old contest?

1-09-02 7:50pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I've been reading a retrospective about Peanuts, and Charles Schulz had some good ideas. Namely, it's all about characters. If you have interesting characters, then you can throw them in different situations and see what they do. The story and gags write themselves if the characters are effective.

Which makes me surprised that Tobor, who is ostensibly a one-note character, works so well for these things. But his mostivations are so basic that it only takes a simple situation (give him amnesia, invert his personality, send him to jail) to get some action out of him.

Strangely, I haven't been able to think up a character as good as Tobor on my own. Super Britainman is good in his own way, but he really doesn't have a consistent voice -- he's just a model on which to plaster superhero parodies. Awfully Brain Damaged Boy is good for a gag, but he can't communicate enough to be really useful in a sustained way.

Jeremiah T. Fogg has some potential, though. I think I have to work on his dialect, but the whole clotheshorse schtick works. Maybe I'll release him from prison and do a series about him.

I guess this is my long way of saying, forget the story, just find a good character. Honestly, the only thing I planned was how Tobor was going to get out of jail (the "robot years" gag). I knew there was going to be a court scene and that he would be in prison, but exactly how everything happened was made up as I went along.

---

1-09-02 8:22pm (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Showcase » TOBOR IN CHAINS!

reload page with comics

Jump to:

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests
Sets