Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » General Discussion » I Am a Colossal Geek

Author

BigEvilDan
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Personifying forum threads is a rather strong sign of geekness.

---
"Oh, look, a joke! How original! Thank you, but if I wanted my emotions stimulated pleasurably, I'd get a whore." - Donald B. Jones III

9-14-03 4:50pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Spankling
Looking for love in ALL the wrong places, baby!

Member Rated:

How bad can a science job get?

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

9-17-03 9:35pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Fun with fusion!

---
"Jelly-belly gigglin, dancin and a-wigglin, honey that's the way I am!" Janice the Muppet

9-19-03 9:29pm (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

I want to be that kid when I grow up.

---
I ate a hooker half a bottle of knife.

9-23-03 10:15pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Now we're geekin' old-school

---

9-27-03 10:56pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Ten Technologies That Deserve to Die according to Bruce Sterling

---

10-02-03 9:34pm (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

His logic on why we should get rid of prisons and dvds makes me want to dickslap his frail grandmother.

---

10-04-03 12:44am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

His logic on why we should get rid of prisons and dvds makes me want to dickslap his frail grandmother.

The logic may be bad, but he is right about their having big problems.

Actually the one that earns his grandmother a full-fledged cornholing is "manned spaceflight" -- especially given the "green"ness of his opinions elsewhere.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-04-03 4:33pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Does he have a less frail grandmother that needs dick slapping? Just askin'.

---

10-04-03 11:13pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

I don't see the use in manned spaceflight, either. Maybe I'm missing something.

---
What others say about boorite!

10-05-03 10:27am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Do the math. Population going up. Resources holding steady or going down. Pollution making more of earth unusable ...

It may be slow now. It may not be an immediate danger. But sooner or later, humanity will be facing it in its gunsights.

Assuming that decimation of the human race is not the ideal solution, we need a bigger pie. Whether it's resources to mine outside of earth, or just some new living space out there somewhere, we have to learn to get off this rock we call home. And that means going forward with some sort of manned space program.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-05-03 9:37pm (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

Plan B: Human kind dies off and the great spirit finds something else to occupy its time.

---

10-05-03 11:59pm (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

The logic may be bad, but he is right about their having big problems.

Prisons definitely have problems, though, like everything it depends on your purpose. I think societies need to solidify what they want the purpose(s) of prisons to be (rehabilitation, punishment, prevention, keeping them from breeding) before deciding on how to improve them.

Dvds I see as a step forward from VHS tapes in the same way I see CDs as a step forward from cassette tapes. Can they be improved upon, sure, but they're still a step in a better direction.

That one I actually agree with.

At this point, unmanned spaceflight is cheaper, faster, and really all around better for our current technological capabilities and mission objectives. I say make them all unmanned.

The thing to be careful of though is that we don't stop pouring money into RESEARCH that will make manned missions more feasible. (Gravity simulation, radiation protection, faster propulsion systems, cryogenics, etc.)

So then - in 50, or 100, or 200, or however many years down the road - if we actually NEED a manned as opposed to an unmanned mission, we'll have the necessary technology in place, and will have much more experience since we'll have many more missions under our belts than we would have if we'd gone the manned mission route, since manned is so much more expensive than unmanned.

Really, if we know how to do unmanned, we know how to do manned. Now that we know the effects of 0g on the human body, we can really just go full throttle on unmanned, then contract out a plumber and Tang, Inc. once we need to reintroduce manned.

---

10-06-03 1:10am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Assuming that decimation of the human race is not the ideal solution, we need a bigger pie. Whether it's resources to mine outside of earth, or just some new living space out there somewhere, we have to learn to get off this rock we call home. And that means going forward with some sort of manned space program.

I do see the impending population crisis. I don't see manned spaceflight, given current technology, as anything remotely resembling progress toward a solution. Liquid-fueled rockets simply aren't going to cut it. You may say that the only way to advance the technology is to put more liquid-fueled rockets up there. I'd say that's a good way to advance liquid-fueled rocket technology, which isn't going to cut it. It's literally going nowhere. We haven't been beyond Low Earth Orbit in how long?

Spaceflight proponents make lots of analogies to Columbus and Magellan and so on. "They said it couldn't be done," etc. Well, all analogies to terrestrial exploration simply fail, in my opinion. Such is the scale and inhospitability of interstellar space.

Until we come up with something like a photon sail or a portable tokamak, we're just playing with matches up there.

I think the population crisis is much closer than any possible large-scale space colonization. It's as if a truck is bearing down on us in a crosswalk, and we're talking about constructing a concrete anti-truck bunker. The way to handle the population crisis, in my opinion, is economic development based on renewable resources. This would require letting many "3rd world" or client nations or whatever you want to call them nationalize their resources and implement protectionistic measures (which is how every G8 nation got it done). In short, freedom. This is the opposite of the trend toward "free trade" globalization, and so is unlikely to happen. I figure we're doomed. But it's our best shot.

---

10-06-03 9:04am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Huh huh huh huh

---

10-06-03 10:23am (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

The F-in Shift key?!?

Don't sue him. Hire him.

---

10-09-03 10:40pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Gabe is most certainly a colossal geek, but his digital projector is fucking magnificent.

His dog is cute, too.

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

10-11-03 3:49am (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

I like this analogy.

---
Dad was flammable

10-11-03 8:31am (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

Or we could, you know... just stop fucking.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Is the future going to be crowded? Is that a truck?
Of course, it will be. However:

I think that paying a bit of attention to our infrastructure, as well as our aeronautic and space R&D - and what we're going to need to survive until we all get a condo on Mars - is at least as blitheringly important as sending up another Sprint satellite.

Spending actual time and money to find better ways to actually use what we have, and to house and feed people effectively where we already are, would go a long way to alleviate the inherently distasteful aspects of being shoved together like sardines. Our disgrace is not a dearth of technological skills, but rather the lack of resources in some areas vis a vis the pigshit-deep-in-fliet-mignon abundance of others.

I.E: What's going to turn Earth into a very well decorated gaveyard, eventually, is not lack of technology. Nor shall it, I believe, be our penchant for reproduction. It will be our oldest exercise in self-defeat: Greed.

HOW we do whatever we must in order to cope with the impending overpopulation of this very forgiving planet is as LEAST as important as whatever it is that we do, IMHO.

---
I wanted my half in the middle and I wound up on the edge.

10-11-03 10:49am (new)

Spankling

Member Rated:

I can't get through to www.google.com anymore. I gotta go through stuff like google india (www.google.co.in). Could this have something to do with excessive searches on pr0n, Tattoo Barbie bits, and leftist news? Does anyone else have this problem?

---

10-12-03 10:13pm (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

I think yahoo used to be powered by google, though my exceptional sleuthing(getting 18,200 hits for "dog car" from google, and only 10,900 hits from yahoo) makes me think it isn't anymore.

---

10-12-03 11:14pm (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

Crowding is not the real danger of overpopulation. Among the real dangers are resource depletion and habitat destruction. Bunner, you're right to cast it in terms of haves vs. have-nots. I think the means to address it, at least to take a first step, exist here in the US, both in theory and in the law. The question is, will we live by our own supposed principles? The answer so far is "no." And so our slow orbit around the drain of natural history tightens.

---

10-13-03 11:39am (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

Jesus, that was a well turned phrase.

---
I wanted my half in the middle and I wound up on the edge.

10-13-03 10:22pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Not only is this hideously geeky, they're coming out with a sequel!

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-14-03 11:54am (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

You'd think that if he had all that money to pour into it, he'd have gone with something bigger than a studio apartment.

Still, damn cool.

---

10-15-03 5:13am (new)

Stripcreator » General Discussion » I Am a Colossal Geek

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics