Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Photoshop Valley » Photo Phreaking 35: Gone Fishin'

Author

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

People look really dumb when they're holding up the fish they just caught. But I'm sure you can make them look even more ridiculous by substituting something else for the fish. I've put some images for you to start with here.

Judging to take place Monday or Tuesday night, depending on how the entries go over the weekend.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

6-06-02 6:06pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

BigEvilDan
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Sure the others are having fish tonight, but we're having fish and chips!

---
"Oh, look, a joke! How original! Thank you, but if I wanted my emotions stimulated pleasurably, I'd get a whore." - Donald B. Jones III

6-06-02 7:51pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

No, these guys are having Fish and Chips.

6-06-02 8:36pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

While searching for source images, I found this classic:

Not an edit - this is a genuine photo. Shots of great whites breaching make me feel very uncomfortable.

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

6-06-02 10:00pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

...and with a bit of photoshop magic, we have:

Not really happy with the lighting on the redneck woman, but I spent far too long on this one as it is. :)

---

6-06-02 11:29pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Nice job cleaning up the shark, though.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

6-07-02 7:48am (new)

the_rew
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

My first attempt at photoshoppin....

---
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't

6-07-02 7:48am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

I don't get the joke, but it's a nice edit!

---

6-07-02 10:18am (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Closest I can figure is that "Fish 'n Chips" seems to be more of a British term than a North American one (well, it's something I certainly never hear anyone say around here), and ol' Matthew is wearing the Union Jack so...

I don't really have a point.

6-07-02 11:16am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

We hear of Fish and Chips all the time up here in Connecticut... a regular staple of low-priced restaurants an diners (and the family seafood places).

---

6-07-02 11:53am (new)

ObiJo
Eamus Catuli

Member Rated:

I'll say. How'd you do it?

---
I ate a hooker half a bottle of knife.

6-07-02 4:15pm (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

I had fish and chips for dinner tonight, or, well, it's now technically last night.

Believe it or not, I'm drunk!

---
Dad was flammable

6-07-02 5:46pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

I'll say. How'd you do it?

My good friend, the smudge tool. It's the tool that looks like a hand with one finger pointing downward, at least in my version of Photoshop. To extend pieces (like the tail in mine) you make sure "preserve transparency" (located right above the layers list) is turned off, and smudge with a fairly solid brush at 100% pressure. To clean up spots inside a shape, turn "preserve transparency" on, then... well, you have to experiment a bit. If the shape is a fairly flat colour with a spot on it that you don't want, a solid shape, 100% pressure, will usually be okay. If you have a scattered effect that you want to get rid of, a softer brush with a small amount of pressure (25% is my low pressure default) is good, and you kind of scirbble randomly in the area you want to normalise. Try to follow pre-existing patterns, and be sure not to smudge around the bits you are trying to remove.

Newer versions of Photoshop have a wonderful thing called "clone" which lets you select a small area, and then copy that bit all over a larger area. I wish I had that tool...

---

6-08-02 8:48am (new)

JrnymnNate
I fling the shoddy polo stick

Member Rated:

Poor because I couldn't find any guts online.

But they caught him anyway...

6-08-02 10:42am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Nate, it takes some time to do, but you should have cut out the fisherman and pasted him back into the original pic before doing the gore, remembering to preserve transparency. That way you could have put blood right up to his edges without spilling over. As it is, the red is blurring his edges. On another note, it is the wrong shade of red - blood is slightly purplish, and not 100% bright.

---

6-08-02 11:15am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

Hmmm... a crappy one... *sigh*

The original pic of the woman in the boat was all wrong - brightly-lit from the wrong direction, and taken from the wrong angle, not to mention that the image was too small and low-quality. Oh well... I finished it, so I had to post it...

---

6-08-02 11:54am (new)

JrnymnNate
I fling the shoddy polo stick

Member Rated:

I wanted to do lots of entrails and gore and stuff but I couldn't find any source. I wasn't thinking about the blood when I did... so you're right, it is poor for that.

"This is not klingon blood!"

6-08-02 12:11pm (new)

BigEvilDan
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

---
"Oh, look, a joke! How original! Thank you, but if I wanted my emotions stimulated pleasurably, I'd get a whore." - Donald B. Jones III

6-08-02 3:53pm (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

So, you've caught your shark... now what are you gonna do with it?

Ride it, of course...

Needless to say, before you can ride it, you have to break it in...

---

6-09-02 11:38am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

By the way, Dan - great edit. Those boxes look like part of the original pic. Beautiful job...

---

6-09-02 11:49am (new)

BigEvilDan
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Yes, it's a similar gag to my previous photoshop. Just consider them variations on a theme.

---

6-09-02 5:49pm (new)

lara7
Jimmy Carter says YES!

Member Rated:

that looks like the late Dave Thomas of Wendy's!

---
When they invent BookFace, I'm -there-.

6-09-02 9:47pm (new)

the_rew
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

Sorry people, I spent so much time and effort editing the thing (just because I thought it was a funny image) I didn't really put much thought into a joke.

Actually, there is a kinda "in" joke but I only thought of that afterwards. I know Matthew by the way (yes I am British but not as annoying). "Fish and Chips" was a kind of rhyming slang for "big lips" (don't ask me why). Everyone says he has big lips.

Anyway, the main reason I did it was because I noted how much you lot slated him in past competitions, so I thought he would be an easy target (shame on me). By the way, I don't have a copy of Photoshop on my machine at work, so I was forced to use Paintshop Pro.

And also, on the subject of fish and chips, I went to a place in San Francisco called "Ye Olde Fish and Chips" and it was supposed to serve good ol' english fish n' chips. Unfortunately, it was too dry. It's supposed to be greasy! When will you learn the true ways?

Sorry, I'm being annoying now.

---
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't

6-10-02 1:23am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

...and where is good old Mr Eastaugh these days? I know he has a tendency to appear and disappear with minimal fanfare, but his last Nessie-like resurfacing was ages ago.

---

6-10-02 2:48am (new)

the_rew
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

This person went fly fishing...

---

6-10-02 5:04am (new)

Stripcreator » Photoshop Valley » Photo Phreaking 35: Gone Fishin'

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help