Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » General Discussion » Stripcreator CD swap

Author

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

I still think there's something about getting a proper mixtape (or cd in this case) where care has been taken in not only selecting the songs, but also the order. Having just a load of mp3s removes that whole personal touch and effort that goes into it.

12-10-02 1:26pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

JrnymnNate
I fling the shoddy polo stick

Member Rated:

Sycess's idea sounds cool...

Josh recently gave me access to a repository of music from his old webspace hoster, an irc friend. When i looked at what was in there, it blew my mind. There were hundreds of artists, thousands of tracks. I have a playlist enqued in winAmp to demo stuff every now and then but to download it all would take forever and it'd take a year to listen to. Right now I've got 3267 tracks I wanna skim over(I'm not going to listen to every single one but you get the picture.)

But then again, the other option is just as cool.

Perhaps we should limit the swapping to certian continents. If there's enough scots and aussies who wannna participate together.

12-10-02 1:41pm (new)

JrnymnNate

Member Rated:

I mean limit the swaping to people in the same continent. americans w/ americans and so on.

12-10-02 1:42pm (new)

bunnerabb
Some bloke.

Member Rated:

Why?

---
I wanted my half in the middle and I wound up on the edge.

12-10-02 2:44pm (new)

andydougan
Film critic subordinaire

Member Rated:

I guess no one from any other country would like all the bagpipes we listen to.

12-10-02 2:53pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

I think this should be a tangible CD swap. It's easy enough to have an FTP, and boring as hell. I want a package to come in the mail, with someone's handwriting scrawling the names on the songs and the artists on a piece of paper cut roughly to fit the jewel case, and maybe a photo of the reg holding the CD with a big cheesy thumb's up sign, or a note saying "Hi! I used the bathroom before sealing the envelope, and I forgot to wash my hands!"

It's FUN to receive mail. Downloading mp3s is just too commonplace to be fun.

Besides, I have cool packaging materials and I plan to include other silly stuff with the cds.

Count me in if it's a jen-yoo-wine CD swap of cd audio songs, old-skool style.

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

12-10-02 3:59pm (new)

KajunFirefly
chooby digital (in stereo)

Member Rated:

Aye.

---
Dad was flammable

12-10-02 4:04pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

I prefer tangible CDs. They're more human, and the wait for a CD to come in the mail is a lot less tedious to me than the wait for what... 50 - 70 songs to download? For me, a CD is harder to ignore, or put off until later.

12-10-02 5:15pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

No sealing envolopes with semen.

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

12-10-02 5:22pm (new)

itsclark
Bar Room Superman

Member Rated:

Why stop at swapping files instead of CD's? We could punk out completely and just exchange personal recommendations:

[i]"Hey, Drexle; go to WinMX and DL that Garmarna track. Tell me what you think."

"OK. Hey Andy; some guy has his whole collection of traditional Scottish sheep fisting music up on Kazaa. I thought you'd like to know."

"Thanks Drex, but that's me!"[/i]

Lame, right? I prefer a physical CD swap. But I'm up for whatever.

---
"You'll burn for this. Burn in jail!"

12-10-02 5:31pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Actually, I did. The ones I heard were cool. :p They were a bitch to get ahold of, though.

12-10-02 6:33pm (new)

JrnymnNate

Member Rated:

Why?

For those who would rather not spend 20 bucks shipping a CD of random Mouse on Mars, Green River, Mudhoney and such songs to 4 different people across the globe.

But it still sounds fun... I'm just worried about the postage.

12-10-02 7:21pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Well all of mine would be going to different continents.

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

12-10-02 9:30pm (new)

Jael
Resident Wench

Member Rated:

Once again, I have to agree with LadyJ here. I'm in, and I don't care what continent I send it to, as long as no goverment agency types show up on my doorstep demanding to know why I was sending such filth into their country. I tried to send a buddy of mine in SA a tape of a local punk band...it got sent back with a nice little letter about their laws on such type music. Go Fig!

---
Women are fisher's of men because we all know.... The small ones you throw back. The medium ones you eat. The large ones you mount.

12-11-02 5:18am (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

More people should do that. It would make life so much better for all. :)

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

12-11-02 5:42am (new)

DexX
What the Cat Dragged In

Member Rated:

I'm not really here (I'm just a figment of your deranged imagination) but I'd really like to join in with this. A similar thing was started in another internet community I was involved with, and it just kinda... died. It was really disappointing, as I had all the tracks picked out and I was ready to go. I'm always telling people outside Australia how great our local musicians are, so here's a great chance to prove it to a bunch of people.

...though if anyone asks who gave you the CD, you must answer, "Nobody!"

Incidentally, there isn't much point to me swapping CDs with dcom, as we live about an hour's drive apart. I would much rather send CDs to the US and UK, where the lesser-known Aussie music with which I will fill my CD will be heard by fresh ears.

---
This signature has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down.

12-11-02 7:38am (new)

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

Oh, well. I haven't the cash for postage, access to a CD-writer, the get-off-my-assed-ness to actually package and mail anything, nor anything else, so if anyone wants to do the FTP idea as well I'm in. I'm always looking for new music. Otherwise... oh, well.

---
"Old" is the old new.

12-11-02 8:27am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Perhaps a keen geek can write an SC - exclusive P2P service. I've heard of a wysiwig prog for such a thing, but I can't remember the name.

---
Jesus saves, but everyone else in a 10 foot radius takes full damage from the fireball.

12-11-02 9:33am (new)

Devin
Comic Overlord

Member Rated:

Gabester!

I don't know anything about it though; I just heard of the program from one of the other threads.

12-11-02 9:51am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Yeah. That site mentions some kind of P2P service maker.

---
Jesus saves, but everyone else in a 10 foot radius takes full damage from the fireball.

12-11-02 9:54am (new)

boorite
crazy knife lady

Member Rated:

I discovered this medium that's like this long long strip of magnetized stuff on two spools enclosed in this little rectangular plastic case. It's cheap like the wind.

---
What others say about boorite!

12-11-02 11:44am (new)

jools
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

You could convert the file into binary and write the 1s and 0s out by hand, copy 4 times and send it to people.

---

12-11-02 12:05pm (new)

JrnymnNate

Member Rated:

I discovered this medium that's like this long long strip of magnetized stuff on two spools enclosed in this little rectangular plastic case. It's cheap like the wind.

Sounds geeky.

Oh.

12-11-02 12:11pm (new)

Brad
Feature Creep

Member Rated:

The FTP idea is neat but I won't be setting that up. Bandwidth, The Law, etc.

I'd like to keep this swap as simple as possible and see if it actually works. If this one comes off without a hitch, maybe we can do another round and complicate it and make it harder to manage.

It will be audio CDs rather than MP3s.

I'm not going to do any geographical sorting. If postage is going to be an issue, you may not want to participate.

If you want to be involved, send your mailing address, your email address and your Stripcreator username to cdswap@stripcreator.com by Monday, December 16th. You will get a confirmation reply.

I will divide the names and addresses up into groups and I will mail the group address lists out on Thursday, December 19th.

Once the group lists are sent, you have until January 19th to mail your mix CD to the people in your group. Please label and include track lists with the CDs.

I will start a forum for this soon.

---
www.bradsucks.net

12-11-02 12:36pm (new)

gabe_billings
President and CEO of Wirthlingsux Inc.

Member Rated:

I'm all for some manner that will let everyone participate, but half the fun is really actually receiving something in the mail. It'd be easy for most of us to just post a list of 12-15 songs and then we could go snatch them off of Kazaa, but that kind of detracts from the fun of it. I get a load of crap in my mailbox daily but I can't even remember the last time I got an honest to goodness personal letter. What with email, most people have pretty much given up writing by hand.

But a package? Huzzah! It's like Christmas. Or Boxing Day, or whatever the fuck you weirdo Brits have. So there can always be something slapped together for people that want to FTP stuff, but I'd hate to see the actual CD-exchange part of it disappear.

---
100 pounds of shit in a 25 pound sack.

12-11-02 12:37pm (new)

Stripcreator » General Discussion » Stripcreator CD swap

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account