Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP ONE: Kramer_vs Fuzzy Choad Lawson

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Use this area to post about your discs and whathaveya.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

2-04-04 2:53pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Fuzzyman. My old nemesis. We meet again.

2-04-04 3:04pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Of all the playlists I've seen posted in the last three swaps, those made by Kramer and Jes most
closely matched my current musical tastes, so I'm really happy to be in their group.

Now I have to figure out what I have over here that they haven't heard over there.

You can revisit my music tastes here:
http://www.stripcreator.com/forums/showthread.php?postnum=105245&forum=7&page=1

and here (as AccentuateNegative):
http://www.stripcreator.com/forums/showthread.php?postnum=105245&forum=7&page=3

I'm not going to put any of the English/Scottish music listed there on my CD because I figure Jes and Kramer have already heard it to death, but that gives you an idea of what I like.

2-05-04 12:08am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

This time I'm asking for suggestions as to what people will/will not listen to. You've seen what I like and what I'm into - but if there's anything that will totally spoil your enjoyment of the CD (e.g. if 2 minutes of freaky drum and bass is going to make you vomit, or if Irish folk makes you cringe) please say so.

I reckon I've got a handle on what I could send to choad and kramer to get their ear mojos running, Fuzzy, I'll just have to take an educated guess :)

I've got a shortlist and will be finalising it at the weekend. Can you also read the other post I've made in this forum? It contains an important announcement regarding bonus extras.

Realistically the way my life is at the minute, I'd like to say CDs will go out by the end of the month, but I imagine I'm talking about Mid-March. But I'll see what I can do.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

2-05-04 2:58am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

quote:
Can you also read the other post I've made in this forum? It contains an important announcement regarding bonus extras.

Having thought about this, there is no post - I'll send an e-mail out about this once I've thought what the fairest thing to do is.

---

2-05-04 3:15am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

My song list is pretty much set as of last night. I'm going to give myself a couple days to think about it and also to decide whether I want to make a second disc or not.

2-06-04 2:03pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

As usual, my mix will be... interesting.

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

2-08-04 3:41pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

At last! I've finished burning the CDs, labeling, printing the liner notes, etc. etc. ALl I have ot do now is drop these puppies in the mail.

What, you didn't know I was sending you a puppy?

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

2-15-04 7:05pm (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

I wish you'd sent puppies when you were in my group last year. The kitten you sent got a little... dead in transit.

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

2-15-04 10:43pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I'm going to burn mine tomorrow or Tuesday.

2-15-04 11:00pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Due to technical issues I can't transcribe my amazing mix-tape to CD at all without going through the hassle of getting a new computer (long story)

Therefore you will have two (unmixed) CDs which I'll burn sometime this week, and post (God willing) by next. I'll throw in the mix tape for free.

---

2-16-04 4:08am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

That was as planned. Didn't you get the Moo Shoo Kitty recipe in the box?

---

2-16-04 4:54am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Thanks to my lovely wife, the CDs are now in the (air) mail.

I await your reactions of glee or dismay upon their arrival.

---

2-18-04 2:41am (new)

ladyjdotnet
Snitcreator

Member Rated:

Is that what that was? There were kitten guts all over it, making it unreadable.

---
I am a delicate fucking flower. https://beacons.ai/jesskent

2-18-04 12:46pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Fantastic, Fuzzy...

My CD's are burned--I'll hopefully mail by Friday.

2-18-04 6:08pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

My cd's are in my briefcase and I will mail them today at lunch, including to sideswapper mmyers.

My graphics are tremendously awful. My printer crapped out and my first few attempts with the cd label came out so bad I ended up deleting the background and only keeping two very grainy graphics. This is why I usually label cd's with Sharpies. In other words, please enjoy the music and laugh at the art.

I ended up only making one cd. I tried really hard on the second one, but I couldn't get the songs I wanted to logically flow. I may still send out a second bonus disc, but I need to do some reconsideration first.

2-20-04 12:09am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Songs should logically flow?

Damn.

2-20-04 2:08am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I got Fuzzy's today. I won't spoil the surprise for the rest of you, but what I've heard so far is damn fine.

As for mine, two discs are burnt, and a tape needs to be made. For cashflow reasons I'll have to wait another week to post them.

---

2-23-04 11:02am (new)

kramer_vs_kramer
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

I got Fuzzy's today as well. Interesting concept. Has shamed me into hurrying up with my cover artwork and getting the damn things posted.

2-23-04 11:32am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Choad's CD arrived today.

This should be interesting. I haven't heard of a single artist on this CD.

I am looking forward to "Ape Shall Never Kill Ape."

---

2-23-04 3:52pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

Wait, did you get my CD Choad? If so, then we can all speak openly of my Terrible Secret.

---

2-23-04 3:54pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I'm listening to it right now. I did a similar thing for my brother-in-law for his birthday. I'll let you reveal the dirty secret yourself.

Even though I have a picture of Miles Davis in my office and I was listening to him today, my favorite so far is track 3--it reminds me the time I spent growing up in Detroit. Notwithstanding--the Temptations track is just how you described it in the liner notes.

I'm a fan of many of the artists on this CD, even though it is nothing like the disc I sent out.

2-23-04 6:30pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Since Fuzzy has my disc and our insular friends should have it shortly...here's my tracklist and commentary for the record.

1. Prologue - Dimitri from Paris I've used this as an intro on other mix cd's I've made. No matter what the mix, it always works.

2. Sacre Francais - Dimitri from Paris I take the cd these Dimitri songs come off of (Sacre Bleu) with me whenever I go on road trips with people--no matter their musical tastes, they always ask what it is and compliment it.

3. My Robot - Looper Okay, I said I wasn't going to send a cd with English and Scottish artists...I lied. I said in another forum that my favourite Looper song is whatever song I'm listening to. I love the line about his apartment smelling like the Paris Metro in summertime.

4. Glitterball - FC/Kahuna I had never heard of FC/Kahuna until I saw them at a festival last year. Now I can't stop listening to them.

5. Field-Goal - Kinky Kinky is from Monterrey, Mexico. Their song "Mas" has been used in many commercials and any remotely latin tv/movie soundtrack in the last year--check out the rest of the album...rock/techno/pop with a Mexican accent.

6. Original Stuntmaster - Aim I heard this on a BBC1 Breezeblock by King of Woolworths. Evel Kneivel is the cheesiest of all 70's icons. This song makes me want to pop my copy of "Viva Kneivel" in the VCR every time I hear it.

7. Screenwriter's Blues - Soul Coughing I shamelessly impose Soul Coughing on every music lover I know hoping they'll eventually love them as much as I do. They are best known for their song "Super Bon Bon."

8. Barbarela - Bob Crewe The theme to the movie Barbarela. This is your kitsch interlude.

9. Theme of Luxury - Plastic Fantastic Machine This is the wacky sitcom themesong of my life.

10. Time to Kill-Be Waltz - Seatbelts Seatbelts is the band of composer Yoko Kanno, best known as the score composer for Cowboy Bebop. She writes the most American-sounding jazz music I've ever heard.

11. Ape Shall Never Kill Ape - Unkle You got Charton Heston in my Unkle! No, you got Unkle on my Charlton Heston!

12. Get Your Snack On - Amon Tobin I don't have anything to say about Amon Tobin except that I enjoy the hell out of his music.

13. Balkan Boogie - Farmers Market I saw this band last year in a tiny club at a university and was blown away. They are a multi-national band of middle-aged Europeans (Norwegian, Swedish, Romanian) playing the fastest, tightest jazz you've ever heard. The key players are an acordian and sax player who play at blazing speed, changing directions at an instant, all the while matched perfectly by the drummer, bassist, and guitarist. They are perhaps the most incredible musicians I've ever seen live.

14. Ejercicio No. 16 - Kinky More Kinky--by the way, I discovered this at a listening station the same day I discovered Dimitri from Paris also at a listening station.

15. Verbal - Amon Tobin (Featuring MC Decimal R) My favourite Amon Tobin song.

16. Une Very Stylish Fille - Dimitri from Paris More Dimitri.

17. Marijuana - Inclitorotti Inclitorotti dices and splices soundbites to interesting music. Our British friends won't understand how funny this really is, since they've never heard jurassic home-spun huckster/newsman Paul Harvey.

18. Luetin - Underworld I finally saw Underworld at the same festival as FC/Kahuna mentioned above...I'm going back this May, check it out... www.coachella.com

That's it.

2-23-04 7:32pm (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

MINIMALIST LINER NOTES

Hello again, and welcome to my latest mix. I promised you something different, and this is it. By now you’ve looked at the back of the CD case and thought, “Hey, lots of recording artists, but no song titles? What gives?” That’s because there is only one song title: At Last.

Yes, you hold in your hands an entire CD made up of covers of a single song – a song which has a special meaning for me. I began collecting different versions of At Last after my fiancé (now wife) and I chose it as the song for the first dance at our wedding reception. I actually have too many to fit on one CD, but the ones here are the best, most interesting, and least annoying.

This is not an attempt to torture you. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the variety of ways a song can be interpreted. Thank you for listening.

1. Etta James
We’ll start off with the one you probably know best. I always thought this version sounded very melancholy, and wondered why, if Etta found her true love, she sounded so sad.

2. Harry Warren
A nice big-band version.

3. The Temprees
The Seventies are in full swing. When I first heard this version I thought it was a bunch of women with really bad voices, until I figured out it’s actually a bunch of guys with really good voices.

4. Gene Harris & Scott Hamilton
It’s half past midnight, and the smoky jazz club you’re in is all but closed. You nurse your scotch as the band indulges in just one… more… song.

5. Low Rawls & Dianne Reeves
This is the version we chose for our wedding reception. It’s happy and danceable. What more can you say?

6. Houston Person
Another jazz version, highlighted by nice guitar work.

7. Christina Aguilera
Okay, this CD isn’t entirely devoid of obnoxious singers. It’s overblown and full of vocal theatrics. There’s a hint of the melody in there, somewhere.

8. Miles Davis
People are talking when Miles is playing! People are talking when Miles is playing! Have they no respect?

9. Eva Cassidy
A sparsely beautiful version. A woman and her guitar.

10. Bluesiana Hot Sauce
Dig that Hammond B-3 organ.

11. Celine Dion
Not nearly as annoying as you would think. Simple, straightforward… she doesn’t even screech.

12. Glenn Miller
This is the version from the 1942 movie Orchestra Wives. I have the sheet music for this, and let me tell you, Cesar Romero looks way different than he did as the Joker.

13. Julia Demato
A decent version from the American Idol contestant, if not exactly sung with a hint of passion.

14. Diane Schuur & B.B. King
A nice contrast to Julia Demato, showing why these people are stars and Julia Demato is not. Keep listening… the song lights up when B.B gets to the instrumental.

15. The Temptations
I can imagine it now. “Hey, let’s update a classic song with a horrible synth and drum-machine combo so we can sing it at state fairs everywhere!”

16. Joan Osborne
I like this version. Joan retains some of the Etta James melancholy, but transforms it into a strange, compelling kind of blues.

17. Ella Fitzgerald & Joe Pass
At last, my love has come along… and I’m too freaking old to make whoopee.

18. Stevie Nicks
A nice vocal big-band version, very much on the happy side. I still think that Stevie Nicks sings like a goat in heat.

19. Ray Anthony
Let’s close it out with the original version from the 1941 movie Sun Valley Serenade. Of course, it turns out to be completely different from all others.

---

2-23-04 8:14pm (new)

MikeyG
Shoots the shit and often misses

Member Rated:

Which isn't even their best song. My two favorites are 'Soft Serve', and a song off the Batman & Robin soundtrack (the soundtrack was the only good thing about that movie whatsoever), 'the Bug'. Choad, you're like the third person I've ever met who likes Soul Coughing.

---
The giant three-phallused phallus of Uzbekistan will one day squirt the cosmic jizz of revenge all over Canada.

2-24-04 12:22pm (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » GROUP ONE: Kramer_vs Fuzzy Choad Lawson

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help