Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » CC263: Truth In Advertising

Author

seattlesque
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

I ran through a few possibilities, including "Submit This Exact Comic" (which would have the first, second, and third panels fixed.) But that seemed a little too challenging, so I picked an idea derived from the movie "Crazy People":

---

The advertisers have gone nuts and concocted a completely honest campaign for a product or service. Examples:

"Quaker Oats: Do they taste good? Who knows, but the box is cute."
"Volvo: Boxy but good."

Pick a REAL brand-name and come up with your best honest ad strategy. Then, present this as:

(a) a commercial
(b) shocked executives previewing the campaign
-or-
(c) customers reacting to the ad copy

Incompetent advertising campaigns ("Nutrific candy bars are nut-very good!") aren't the objective. The theme is *honesty*. Since this is a paid advertisement, it should at some point stress a legitimately positive characteristic of the product...even if admitting to some weaknesses.

If you want to do a series, then do one strip for each of (a) (b) and (c), but no more than that for any single product. Multiple submissions encouraged (the-more-the-merrier). I'll judge when people have gotten obviously bored of entering, which seems to be inside of a week.

10-26-04 6:42pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

80_Million_Fleas
Make a New One!

Member Rated:

CC 25_: Lobsters Are Also Tortured, but Not As Cuddly. by 80_Million_Fleas
10-26-04
Meanwhile, in a posh NYC office...
Boss! I got it!
Yeah... What is it this time?
Check this new slogan me and the boys have been working on... "Veal: Tortured Baby Cows That Taste Okay."
...Boss?
Your biggest retard ever to be hired onto this company. Even Retarded Mike that works in the mail room has more sense than that. You sir, are fired.

---
Shame on Us for All We Have Done. May God Have Mercy on Our Dirty Little Hearts.

10-26-04 7:42pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

CC 263 by dcomposed
10-26-04
Hi. I'm 50 Cent here to tell you why you should buy my new album.
Uh...

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

10-26-04 8:40pm (new)

EvilZak
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Dim the Dog and Ozzie the Ostrich 4 by EvilZak
10-26-04
Hey Ozzie, I just wrote a new commercial for the dog food company I work for! Go watch it!
Okay.
"It's BACON!" "No it isn't, you dipshit dog! It's Beggin Strips! Dogs are too fucking stupid to realize it's not bacon!"
That was the worst commercial I've ever seen in my life!
You're just mad because you didn't get a cameo and I did.

---
AFROMANS MOVE

10-26-04 9:10pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

re: two posts up
CC 263 2632!!!1 by dcomposed
10-26-04
Uh...
Dr. Dre is on it for twelve seconds.

CC 263 26322!!!!!2122411!! by dcomposed
10-26-04
Dr. Dre has decided not to appear on the album, sorry.
But I can assure you he will listen to it.

CC 263 263222!!!!!2122411!!rrr52255g by dcomposed
10-26-04
What's that?
No I can't.

CC 263 2632222!!!!!<-<-<- by dcomposed
10-26-04
There will only be two albums released on that day and mine will be number one.
I mean number two.
Fucking Hammer.

CC 263 26322222!<- by dcomposed
10-26-04
So there you have it, my album will be number two.
Just like my last one.

---

10-26-04 9:17pm (new)

biped
Mr. Wonderful

Member Rated:

CC 263: "Amazing New Products!" -- 1 by biped
10-26-04
Wow, that sure smells good, John! And you say the new Shmopeil "Amaze-o Oven" will cook a 20-pound roast in half the time?
Thet's roit, Nan-ceh! Thet suh-tainly is wot oi sed! And not a bleedin' wurd of it true!
Huh? What do you mean, not true?
Sheer bollocks, the lot of it! But no worries, Nan-ceh! The cloth-eared gits who sit starin' at these fookin' infomercials will buy anythin' shiny!
Why, you're right! They ARE shiny! Hey, there's the "ding"! Roast is ready!
No it tisn't, Nan-ceh! But we'll pretend it tis, and then we'll "ooh an' ahh" aboot how juiceh and delicious it tis! Blimey, we'll make a fookin' killin'!

CC 263: "Amazing New Products!" -- 2 by biped
10-26-04
Our next amazing Shmopeil product is a foolproof remedy for the most hard-to-get-out stains! Right, John?
Thet's the claim, Nan-ceh! Of course, it tisn't anythin' of the sort! But we'll pretend it tis, won't weh? Fa shits 'n' giggles?
Why, this incredible new "Stain-A-Bolish" even gets out bloodstains, doesn't it, John? It's great for housewives!
Nan-ceh, who in the bleedin' 'ell do you know who's got poils of clothes wif fookin' bloodstains all over 'em? Think, Nan-ceh, think!
Uh...gosh...I don't know...uh...serial killers?
Thet's roit, Nan-ceh! We're marketin' this product ta serial killahs! That oughtta make ya Mum an' Dad proud, eh?

CC 263: "Amazing New Products!" -- 3 by biped
10-26-04
Well, now it's time to introduce -- the brand new Shmopeil "Vibe-O-Lux" Personal Vibrator! Why, it's just the thing for those tired, aching muscles!
Oi've got a tired achin' moosle ya can troi it oot on, Nan-ceh -- me big, throbbin' willie!
John! That's not what it's for! It's for massaging those tense, knotted-up back and neck muscles, and --
Horse shite, Nan-ceh! This dandeh li'l item is perfect fer shovin' up yer quiverin' snatch an' groindin' away loik theh's no tomorra! Give 'er a go, eh?
Well...if you say so...ooh! That feels funny!
Deloightful! Now be a good lass an' shove 'er up me bunghole, eh, luv? Noice an' deep, up to the 'ilt, that's a dear!

---
Legend, oh legend, the third wheel legend...always in the way.

10-26-04 9:55pm (new)

seattlesque
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Just a reminder that to qualify for the judging it must be a real product. And if you're going to make a series then it should be 1 strip for the commercial + 1 strip for the executive reaction + 1 strip for consumer reaction.

So as far as I'm concerned, EvilZak's more direct presentation of the Beggin Strips ads is within the rules. 80_Million_Fleas bends it a bit by campaigning for the idea of Veal. However, that's plausible...after all, once I saw a commercial for carpet. (Not any particular kind, just the idea of carpeting, paid for by the carpet growers association of america or whatever.)

10-26-04 10:12pm (new)

biped
Mr. Wonderful

Member Rated:

Oh...so THAT'S why I hate everybody.

---

10-26-04 10:58pm (new)

Rabid_Weasle
Professional style cramper

Member Rated:

CC263: Dope Drink Deal by Rabid_Weasle
10-26-04
Pepsi: It's shittier than Coke, but it's pretty dope.
God, what the fuck am I doing?

---
Poop.

10-26-04 11:44pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I didn't really enter to win anyway.

---

10-26-04 11:48pm (new)

80_Million_Fleas
Make a New One!

Member Rated:

Why Tobor? Why not?

CC 26_: Wow, It's a '6' not a '5'. by 80_Million_Fleas
10-27-04
The Nintendo DS: Our best gimmick since the VR... Unless you count all those OTHER gimmicks, like ROB or that silly Gameboy Pocket.
Seriously.. That ROB robot was only good for "Giant ROB Vs. GI Joes."
Did I mention the Powerglove and Running pad was also gimmick-y?
TOBOR WILL CORNHOLE TV

---
Shame on Us for All We Have Done. May God Have Mercy on Our Dirty Little Hearts.

10-27-04 5:30am (new)

Karajin
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

CC263: Nike Sweats by Karajin
10-27-04
At Nike
Hey! I have an idea for a commerical! "Buy Nike, because we tourture people in sweat shops and pay 50 per shoe but sell them for 140$"
Hm...Well it couldn't hurt, consumers are idiots who will do any thing for us!
At Nike
Buy Nike, because we tourture people in sweat shops and pay 50 per shoe but sell them for 140$
" />

10-27-04 10:09am (new)

Karajin
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

Heh I screwed up, it is supposed to be 50cents not just 50. and the last pannel wasn't supposed to say "At Nike"

10-27-04 10:10am (new)

biped
Mr. Wonderful

Member Rated:

CC 263: "Blazing Pintos" -- 1 by biped
10-27-04
We're here LIVE with Chief Lester T. Welonmelon, whose entire police force is now using the fabulous new FORD PINTO! Right, Chief?
That's right, Bob. The fabulous new Ford Pinto makes a dandy little prowler, thanks to its high-performance engine and fuel-efficient --
OMIGOD! The chief's patrol car just BLEW UP! It...it must be a terrorist act protesting superior American automotive ingenuity!

CC 263: "Blazing Pintos" -- 2 by biped
10-27-04
Well, there's your new commercial. How do you like it?
LIKE it? Are you INSANE? It showed our product BLOWING UP and KILLING a COP!
Ehh...collateral damage. Besides, we blamed the "blowing up" part on terrorist envy of your product's greatness.
Hmm...that could be a selling point, I guess...
Shit yeah, Pops. "Buy A Pinto -- Piss Off A Terrorist." This shit practically writes itself.
Yes...YES! Why, now I'm GLAD they explode!

CC 263: "Blazing Pintos" -- 3 by biped
10-27-04
Yay! Our car exploded! This means the terrorists hate us, Dad -- just like in the commercial!
Our horrible deaths are a tribute to the automotive industry, Pookums!
America is UNDER ATTACK! Thanks, no doubt, to the FORD MOTOR COMPANY and the enviable superiority of their fabulous new FORD PINTO!
"Well, there goes my fucking clubhouse."
I FUCKED a PINTO, and it BLEW UP! Man, I've never felt so POTENT! I'm "SUPER-DICK!"
IT'S OFFICIAL, folks! The new FORD PINTO is now the OFFICIAL CAR of the INTERNATIONAL CAR-FUCKERS ASSOCIATION!

---

10-27-04 10:13am (new)

80_Million_Fleas
Make a New One!

Member Rated:

...I laughed. Then I felt boned.

---

10-27-04 10:40am (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

(1982) You Asked For It! by kaufman
10-27-04
The new PT Cruiser from Chrysler. Drive it, and you'll be the talk of the town.
Honorable ninja, I'm tired of being a wallflower. I want to have people talk about me. Give me one of them PT Cruisers.
Oh, I can get you a good deal. But would not be Honorable ninja if I didn't say that car looks straight out of 1949.
Good evening. Our top stories tonight: A record setting April blizzard. A dreadful ambush in Iraq.
Harold Johnson of 614 Golden Lane was spotted driving an unbelievably ugly car. And a landmark Supreme Court decision on abortion.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-27-04 1:11pm (new)

fpd
Doctor of Fine Parody

Member Rated:

CC263: Lest we forget truth in advertising by fpd
10-28-04
It is driving me bonkers! That son of ours plays nothing but Marilyn Manson day and night.
Tell me about it! It is complete and utter noise pollution. There should be a law against calling it music!
That's right. Marilyn Manson's music is utter dreck! We guarantee that your parents will hate it, or your money back!
And that is the best reason of all for buying Marilyn Manson's latest CD, Lest We Forget.
It's all part of the time-honored tradition of rebelling against your parents! Your grandparents were rebels for listening to the Beatles!
And your parents were rebels for listening to Kiss! Don't you want to be a rebel too? Be a rebel. Buy Marilyn Manson.

---
FPD is the foremost plague on discussion boards. Do your part to stomp out FPD.

10-28-04 6:55pm (new)

quodlibet
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

CC262: On a roll - Take One by quodlibet
10-30-04
Dude, what's hanging? Looks like you've stumbled onto a *radical* find!
As a matter of fact, my anachronistically-challenged friend, I have.
Spill it, man. Do you snort it, hit it, or smoke it?
Something far better, old chum. It's environmentally friendly toilet paper, reclaimed from the waste streams of our wasteful industrialized world.
Noooooo waaaaaay. Toooooo coooool.
Whilst you and I might feel some unconscionable illicit thrill from lifting this top-secret product from this industrial lab, it's also available at your local store for a low low price of 9.99.

CC262: On a roll - Double take by quodlibet
10-30-04
Hey, boss! Did you see my ad campaign for our recycled toilet paper line?
Well, I....
Isn't it cool or what? It'll appeal nicely to the cool and hip as well as the treehuggers. It'll be a blast.
I'm not sure I'd wipe my butt with something that looks like it's been reclaimed from the sewers and pressed into rolls.
I hear we've sunk $500 million and mortgaged your house to make the product.
Although there are worse things that wiping your bum with someone else's used toilet paper.

CC262: On a roll - Take it away! by quodlibet
10-30-04
There's a reason I look really unhappy right now.
I haven't had a dump in seven days.
Recycled toilet paper? Get real.

---
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

10-30-04 1:16pm (new)

quodlibet
Member - Tobor Fan Club

Member Rated:

CC262: The best thing since sliced bread. by quodlibet
10-30-04
Looks like I'm the last person alive on Earth.
Nothing seems to have survived except for cockroaches and fruitcake. They're pretty much the only things that don't glow in the dark. I suppose they're sturdy enough to make a nice house, too.
But even the cockroaches won't eat fruitcake.

Which reminds me, only 57 days until Christmas. I hope you've finished your shopping.

---
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

10-30-04 1:30pm (new)

rgedey1
Dispenser of Nitrous Oxide

Member Rated:

Not exactly sure if this fits, but WTH!
255619[/comic]]

---
The only way to discover the limits of possible is to go beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke

10-30-04 8:46pm (new)

seattlesque
Junior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

Ok, judging time!

Who will claim CC263 and have the coveted rights to CC264? The nominees are...

CC264: Judging 1 by seattlesque
10-31-04
For "Best following contest directions in a series comic," the award goes to:
quodlibet (or is that French, quodlib-ay?) for "On a Roll"
The "Most promising comedic premise" award goes to:
80_Million_Fleas, for an irate robot consumer reaction to Nintendo's admission that R.O.B. was just a glorified action figure.
In the "It's funny because it's true" category, the winner is:
EvilZak, for observing that Beggin' Strips are already sold on no more of a premise than "dogs eat anything".

CC264 will be posted and judged by... by seattlesque
10-31-04
In the always-competitive category of "Best Catch Phrase", we have:
"Buy a Pinto - Piss of a terrorist!", courtesy of biped.
The "Not entering to win" category was swept by dcomposed.
Fucking Hammer.
Kaufman couldn't be here tonight, so accepting the first place CC263 award in his place is Honorable Ninja.
Would not be honorable ninja if I not say your contest was overconstrained.

I'd like to thank all entrants, and it's important to remember that there are no losers here. Just a lot of guys who spend countless hours on the computer, lonely and friendless, with the sole social outlet of internet bulletin boards.

10-31-04 5:43pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Ok. I'll think of something exciting and new next month.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-31-04 7:49pm (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Competitions » CC263: Truth In Advertising

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account