Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - choadwarrior

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

the man, the myth, the legend

disc received

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

6-16-08 10:54pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I called this one "There is Nothing New Under the Sun" because most of these songs are not new, or I have used the artists on other discs. There's no theme to this; it's merely songs I've been listening to lately. There are a lot of horns on this; that's just a coincidence and probably laziness on my part since it was easier to tie those songs together.

The Only One I Know The Charlatans -

The late 80's/early 90's was a great era for British music. I developed a taste for it in '89 when I lived in London. Praise be the miracle of downloading music that I'm now able to rebuild my collection of songs I really loved back then. This is one of them. I always wondered...was there a Charlatans US?

3 Strange Days School of Fish -

This was a tune I really liked back when it came out in the early 90's. It got a lot of airplay in LA, but I don't think it was really known outside of Southern California.

Vehicle Ides Of March -

I have no idea why I put this song on here, other than I think it's one of the most ridiculous, over-the-top vocals ever recorded. I always think of DVDA's Now You're a Man when I hear this. If you ever get me in a car and put this track on, I'll happily sing along.

Always Amon Tobin -

Hey! A new song! I think this is the third time I've put Amon Tobin on a swap disc. This is one of my favorite artists--nobody matches the depth he creates with his sampling.

Dustbowl Treva Whateva -

This was a late addition. There's a song called Singalong that I put on my funk CD by this artist. I think it's the bounciest song in my collection. A week before I burned the discs, I was browsing the Ninja Tune site and saw they released an album by him in the last year. I was happy to hear the new songs are just as funky.

Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries (Dan the Automator Remix) Willie Bobo & Dan The Automator -

This is just here for ambience. I have a lot of old jazz and blues songs that are sampled by modern DJs.

Rotary Ten R.E.M. -

I like the new R.E.M. CD; I'm glad they've gone back to their roots. This one is from Dead Letter Office and I think it's the only instrumental I've ever heard them release.

Valerie Mark Ronson featuring Amy Winehouse -

Please don't hate me for putting this on here. Yeah, she's a tragic mess, but this song helps explain why she's famous in the first place. I 70 pound Jewess should not have a voice like this.

Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance Frank Zappa -

I can't believe it's taken me this long to put a Zappa song on a swap. He's always been one of my favorite artists and since he was constantly evolving, you can hear the same song by different band line-ups and have a completely different experience. He truly could do it all. I like how stripped down and straight-forward this version is of this song is.

Dayton Bumps Deeds Plus Thoughts -

More ambience.

No One Lives Forever Oingo Boingo -

I really miss Oingo Boingo. I wish they'd reunite. I watched a dvd of their final concert (I saw them the week before) last month and then after hearing BigFrank's disc, I decided to lay down some ska influenced music as well.

Ugly Violent Femmes -

This randomly played on my ipod as I was contemplating tracks. While this album was seriously overplayed in the 80s and 90s, this particular song wasn't. Plus, half the participants in this swap were in diapers when it came out, so I figured it was safe to put it on here.

Brimful of Asha Cornershop -

I was in a spin class and the instructor played this song. I had completely forgotten about it. To be honest, I had to try a few google searches before I finally found out what it was called. Ironlically, the week after I downloaded it, I was in a record shop (the place where people used to buy music) and they had an Asha Bhosle CD on the counter.

Spacehopper Hookah -

Even more ambience.

Coin-Operated Boy The Dresden Dolls -

Just a fun song.

The Strangest Girl Looper -

Here's another band I wish would put something out again. They had a nice string of albums going, then nothing. This song was released for free on their website.

Double Bass Gorillaz -

From their first full-length CD.

Outversion Mark Ronson -

This song reminds me of theater advertizing or opening credits music from the 70s.

There you have it. By the way--this tracklist is also musically palindromic in that it works just as well if played in reverse order.

[edited by choadwarrior on 06-19-08 at 6:06:32pm]

6-17-08 12:14am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

ANY UPDATES, CHOAD?

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

6-19-08 1:30am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Yes.

6-19-08 6:32pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Do you have anything to admit that you may have used your powers to hide?

I think you got something wrong and you should come clean.

---

6-19-08 8:50pm (new)

BigFrank105
Obsessive Comic Disorder

Member Rated:

I listened to your CD the other day while running, Choad. I gotta say, most of your songs had a great beat to go jogging / fake running to. Here's some of my favorites:

The Charlatans - The Only One I Know

Ides of March - Vehicle

Willie Bobo - Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries

Oingo Boingo - No One Lives Forever (My favorite on the whole CD)

Violent Femmes - Ugly

Cornershop - Brimful of Asha

The Dresden Dolls - Coin-Operated Boy (I'll admit... normally I would HATE a song like this but... I like it. I don't know why but I do)

Looper - The Strangest Girl (Probably my runner-up favorite)

Mark Ronson - Outversion

Good CD overall, Choad. I liked the 'spiciness' the whole thing had... I guess what I mean by spiciness is that a good amount of songs had horns or an overall latin sort of feel. Anyway, I was impressed, and it lasted me through my work out. Bravo!

6-20-08 3:51pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Too long ago to mention, I read that the "original" Charlatans were a hippy garage band (possibly out of SanFran). Presumably someone at Sony/BMG uncovered this factoid, so the band became The Charlatans UK.

I really liked the first two Charlatans UK cassettes. "Bear," "Flower" and "You're Not Very Well" pop into my head. Seems like I put "The Only One I Know" on a recent swap. Must have been one of the few we didn't exchange...

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

6-21-08 12:59am (new)

UnknownEric
and the Goblet of Mountain Dew.

Member Rated:

choadwarrior

Believe it or not, it actually got a fair deal of airplay on the "dinosaur rock" station in Buffalo.  Brought back some serious memories when I heard it on your disc.  :)

---
I has a flavor!

6-21-08 11:40am (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Received!!

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

6-24-08 6:42am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

little_kitty

Really? I thought choad would have made an error when sending it.

---

6-24-08 6:50am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Like maybe if your home is at number 2 he'll send it to 1.

---

6-24-08 7:47am (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Initial listen: Very nice vibe/groove going on here. I'm digging it, Msr. Choad.

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

6-24-08 9:14am (new)

Scyess
Official Traveling Menstrual

Member Rated:

I liked this one.  It's catchy.  Not much to it, but very listenable, and sets a good theme for the entire CD.

This song seemed kind of generic to me.  Not bad, but just not something that catches my attention.

Vehicle Ides Of March -

I always thought this song was Blood, Sweat, & Tears.  I guess I should've known better.  It's a classic, that's for sure. 

Always Amon Tobin -

This track was an aural pleasure.  Smooth feeling but also engaging.  I might have to check out more Amon Tobin.

Dustbowl Treva Whateva -

Too much funk and wa-wa pedal and disco for my taste, I'm afriad. 

Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries (Dan the Automator Remix) Willie Bobo & Dan The Automator -

Tied for my favorite track on the CD.  It's got the feeling of driving nowhere in particular at 30 mph with the top down on a day that's 72 degrees F and sunny.  Very groovy.

Rotary Ten R.E.M. -

Unfortunately, I never liked R.E.M.  Fortunately, this track is nothing like I've heard from R.E.M. before.  Unfortunately, I also didn't like it.  Fortunately, George Bush's term is ending soon.  (Okay, that's irrelevant, but I was trying to keep the pattern going.)

This track falls into the trap that a lot of Amy Winehouse's tracks fall into:  a good song that just doesn't seem to go anywhere and just ends up being kind of boring.  But I dig it for the first 2 minutes.

I've not heard that much Frank Zappa, but I've liked what I've heard.  This track, too.  Jazzy (but in a lame or try-to-hard way) with the occasional hint of Klezmer.

Another great chillin' while drivin' track.

I don't understand at all how this track would be considered ska-influenced, but it's fun.  I've liked whatever I've heard from Oingo Boingo... just never heard that much.

Ugly Violent Femmes -

Another band I always kind of liked but for some reason never persued.  This track is pretty good.

The other tie for my favorite track on the CD.  I have no idea what it means, but it's mellow and chill and just kind of... yeeeeeah.

Spacehopper Hookah -

Even more good shit.

This is the opening theme to one of my favorite radio shows... but I'd never actually heard the full version.  A shame the singer isn't as cute as her voice, though.

I like this one, too.  Fun 80's type sound without being boring.

Double Bass Gorillaz -

Another smooth, mellow, chill, fun track.

Outversion Mark Ronson -

Woah... too much 70's boringness for me.

Overall... this is a great swap CD.  Lots of good stuff to check out.  And even though none of it is new, most of it is new to me.  Whee!

---
"Old" is the old new.

7-01-08 11:08pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I demand you admit to your mistake.

---

7-02-08 9:48am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

choadwarriorThere you have it. By the way--this tracklist is also musically palindromic in that it works just as well if played in reverse order.

---Sorry, my CD player won't play the disc backwards. Oh, you mean the song order. That I can do. I haven't been able to get into this disc as much as past ones you've sent. Maybe it was too general or too same-sounding and not choadcentric enough. Gotta have my choad!

---

10-24-08 11:26pm (new)

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

Let me preface my forthcoming review by stating that on my old laptop I couldn't hear any of the music on this mix CD. I tried, but it naturally imported at a such a low volume that I couldn't accurately figure out what was playing.

That time... is OVER

DUN DUN DUN

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

4-07-09 11:25pm (new)

LuckyGuess
hm

Member Rated:

A floaty start to the mix. Good tune, too! I like the vocals.

I seem to remember this track from a long time ago. Probably in the car while I lived in LA or Modesto. Nice alternative sound, very mellow rock beat and smooth guitar round it out very well.

Vehicle Ides Of March -

HOLY SHIT

I heard the opening horn blast and my jaw fell open. At long last, I have this song. I'm about to have so much hipster cred. You don't even know.

Always Amon Tobin -

Cool sampling. It makes me think of Boom Boom Satellites and Dragonfly, both of which I like.

Dustbowl Treva Whateva -

You've got to be kidding me. I never thought anything could be this awesome. Not even swordfighting monkeys.

The hollow sound in the vocals and sticky, summertime horn give me a picture of a freshly polished brass trumpet with condensation clinging to the sides. So, SO good.

Rotary Ten R.E.M. -

This is great, too. Holy hell, I never knew consistent lyrics were so unneccessary. 

I'm going to be so sad when Winehouse dies the typical drug-addled death of a burned out music star. Not really suprised, but definitely sad. Her voice is incredible, and I can't get enough of it.

Smooth and full-bodied, like an ice cold name brand beer(tm). I've only heard a few Zappa albums, and to me Just Another Band from L.A. will remain in my top five favorite albums of all time for all time, but this is really, really good.

A little repetetive for me, but I like the horn.

I used to jump up and down on my mom's bed to Oingo Boingo tapes when I was but a wee tyke, and I've always loved them since. "It's Just Another Day" brings on pretty intense childhood flashbacks. Big fan of this track.

Ugly Violent Femmes -

I like the Femmes. Not really familiar with their library overall, but this continues the trend of me liking them.

Has a nice, mellow sound, but goes on a little longer than might be neccessary. In any case, I'm enjoying this.

Spacehopper Hookah -

Sci-fi and ambiance together. It should click with me, but it just doesn't.

I may have mentioned that a Dolls song was exposed to me during a breast reveal. This was the song that came on after it. 

Yes. Yes indeed.

Feeling a little neutral here. Kind of like a Little Boots lite, but with more dude singer.

Double Bass Gorillaz -

I love the Gorillaz, but not this particular track. Nothing to get into for me. I mean, it'd be hard as fuck for bass solo mode in Rock Band, but...

Outversion Mark Ronson -

Cheesy in a good way. It also reminds me of old-style theaters, with all their exposed lightbulbs and toxically thick popcorn butter.

Another great mix from this swap, with a lot of cool ambient stuff for parties and other "hip joints."Or whatever they call them. Malt shops, fuck.

Thanks, choad!

---
the kid's getting old, the kid's getting old

4-07-09 11:58pm (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

There is nothing new under the sun by Choadwarrior

Charlytwins always say summer time for me, love this song

3 Strange Days
School of Fish -

Hadn't heard this before, quite a mellow groove,.guitar work carries the tune along nicely without being ott.

Vehicle Ides Of March -

Aceness.

Always Amon Tobin -

I think I put Switch on my cd. He definately has something, though it has taken a while for me to get into his catalogue, Im starting to totally dig his work.

Dustbowl Treva Whateva -

Love the funk. Greatness, but I also love the direction this takes near the end.

No complaints here, loving it.

Rotary Ten R.E.M. -

This is REM? Amazing.

I like this, and Amy's vocals are great for the song, but for some reason Ronson never settles for me, I always have gotton the impression that hes too far up his own arse, I think he  got hyped a little too much over here (uk) and started to believe what the press was saying about him. It may have just been a couple of bad interviews, and a rather average gig I saw, but I take a lot of his 'remixes' with a pinch of salt.

I found a cache of hidden Zappa albums on my hard disk the other day, which I thought Id lost back when my music drive crashed, such a good feeling. Very relaxed tune, Im used to a more random quirky Zappa, ace nontheless.

If the bass was just a little more 'phat' in the mix, this would be marvellous.

Love it, Never really delved too deeply into Oingo Boingo ('cept for Werid Science), consider that rectified.

Ugly Violent Femmes -

Enjoyable, I can't say it really hooked me though, Used to enjot the Violent Femmes a lot though, maybe just didn't sit right with the tone of the compilation, not quite sure.

Wouldn't spin class have played the Norman Cook Remix to get the tubbies sweating, fat boy slim 'n all? I actually prefer this version though.

Spacehopper Hookah -

Love this, Im tinkering with Reason 3 and a few trakers at moment, so great for inspiration, sort of tune I like hearing when Im out, not too intrusive, but good listen, ambience is a good way to describe it.  

Dresden Dolls were the band that were missing from my life for too long, this is possibly one of my favourite songs they did, theres a great live version on A is for accident that Id recommend you check out. Caught Amanda Palmer playing a few numbers with Ben Folds last year. Definately recommend her solo album, shes the future ex mrs Governor, Im smitten.

I hadn't heard this till now, quite an intriguing song.

Double Bass Gorillaz -

One of my fav's, possibly cos of my Bass playing preference, I take umfums comment on board though, as Im not overly a fan of the up tempo remixes that they charted, but I did find their first album full of excellent experimental tracks like this one, or the Day of the Dead inspired M1A1.

Outversion Mark Ronson -

Funky, I stand by earlier Ronson comments however.

Overall this is an brilliant compilation, ideal summer fodder, and a great mix of stuff I was familar with and complete newness to me, one mans old hat is another mans erm, new hat (I guess). Loved the Oingo Boingo track, and that REM instrumental, weird hearing how they sound without Stipe's distinct vocal.  Mellow Funk is probably how Id best describe this mix. Cheers mate, sorry for taking so long on the commentary.

6-27-09 10:48am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » CD Swap 10 - choadwarrior

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help