Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » General Discussion » MORE THOUGHTS ON JUDGING

Author

bigworm
FOUNDER OF WORDSMITHLESSNESS INC.

Member Rated:

There's another area of judging that I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on. It's the idea of having a 2nd place, 3rd place, Honorable Mention, etc.

My natural (already in place) inclination is to not use these myself. The reason is because I sort of feel if I don't win, alright. Something other than winning is more of a consolation prize, at least to me, which I'm not really that interested in, if I'm even interested in winning a particular CC or not. I'm not aloof or jaded in this regard, and I do have a competitive aspect to my personality. That aspect just doesn't get any gratification from something other than winning, except the gratification from knowing I'm growing so much stronger from the loss!  (btw, that was a joke).

What I'm curious to know is if others do value the 2nd, 3rd etc. place finishes, because I don't think it's a big deal for me to include that kind of stuff. If others are interested, I would do it for that reason.

Right now I think that's all I've got to say on the area of judging. I would like to know the thoughts of others if anyone cared to address this.

Thanks.

---
bigworm

9-16-11 7:44pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

biped
Mr. Wonderful

Member Rated:

Yeah, I like getting a consolation mention if I don't win first place.

---
Legend, oh legend, the third wheel legend...always in the way.

9-16-11 11:12pm (new)

AngryAmerican
Here at least 3 times a year

Member Rated:

Sure. At least it lets people know they were under consideration.

I'd rather be 'first loser' than not mentioned.

---
Kill Whitey.

9-17-11 2:39am (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

I always try to at least put out some honorable mentions if I'm too lazy to actually organize placements.  It's always cool to know you were close to the win even if you don't get it.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

9-17-11 8:06am (new)

ZMannZilla
Ex-Zombie Hunting Dad Creature

Member Rated:

I'm a big fan of honorable mentions, as well as little "extra effort" things for the mentions and winner.  For my "Poetry Slam" CC, I wrote clarihew poems for the honorable mentions (and wrote a sonnet for the winner) so that people actually did sort of get a prize for their efforts, even if it wasn't the ability to make the next CC.

---
"He was cursed with a horrorshow of a face, like Guiseppe Archbold doing a study of mollusk tumors."

9-17-11 1:38pm (new)

bigworm

Member Rated:

Well, that pretty much settles that for me! Thanks again for answering one of my questions.

If I find myself in the position of judging another CC, I will absolutely include my feelings about comics which would be in the 2nd, 3rd, and honorable mention spots.

---
bigworm

9-19-11 7:26am (new)

bigworm

Member Rated:

Well, that pretty much settles that for me! Thanks again for answering one of my questions.

If I find myself in the position of judging another CC, I will absolutely include my feelings about comics which would be in the 2nd, 3rd, and honorable mention spots.

---
bigworm

9-19-11 7:26am (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

It's optional; don't much care either way.

If I'm judging and there aren't many entries, then I'm more inclined to forego honorable mentions.  At some point it starts to feel more like you're excluding the people who weren't mentioned.

But if there are plenty of entries, it can be nice to recognize others that came close to winning.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

9-19-11 7:29am (new)

bigworm

Member Rated:

That's how I thought it could be looked at as well, and how I had looked at in one or two CC's. I suppose it just requires a little tact and consideration.

---
bigworm

9-19-11 7:33am (new)

Stripcreator » General Discussion » MORE THOUGHTS ON JUDGING

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account