Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Comic Showcase » Just...Walk Away...

Author

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

This is the first time I intentionally made a series. This really does happen to me every time I go to Costco. They've called me names (jerk, asshole, and said I have and attitude problem), screamed at me, and chased me to my car, all because I decided two years ago that there was no need for me to wait in line to get out of a store I waited in line to pay at.

So just know this...you don't have to stop and have your receipt inspected at Costco or Fry's, and they can't detain you for it (at least in California--your state may vary, but I doubt it).

[Click to view comic: 'Costco, part 1']
[Click to view comic: 'Costco, part 2']
[Click to view comic: 'Costco, part 3']
[Click to view comic: 'Costco, part 4']
[Click to view comic: 'Costco, part 5']

8-05-03 1:04am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

8-05-03 1:06am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

8-05-03 1:29am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

funny because it's (mostly) true.

they do the same thing at SAM'S CLUB.

buttnuggets.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

8-05-03 6:33am (new)

flickguy
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

And truthfully, they *can* detain you, if they feel strongly enough that you're getting out without having paid for something.

It's called theft.

They probably don't, since you're here telling the story instead of rotting in a jail cell somewhere...

But they can.

---
This is not my empire.

8-05-03 11:31am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

I agree with you--a merchant can detain someone it reasonably suspects to be walking out with merchandise that was not paid for. In CA, there are 4 elements in the law that a merchant must satisfy to detain someone under this suspicion.

My point is that they have to have formed that reasonable suspicion prior to detaining you. The receipt-checker at the door did not see you shopping or go through the check stand, so he/she does not have any reasonable basis for suspecting you AND every customer leaving the store to be stealing. Anyone who stops and shows their receipt is being detained voluntarily because they submit to that stupid policy without question.

I do not submit to that policy and so far they have tried to coerce me to comply, but they have not limited my freedom of movement. I suspect this is because they know that they have no legal right to detain shoppers simply for violation of a store policy if they don't possess the 4 elements of reasonable suspicion required under the CA mercant detention act.

Again--your state's merchant detention laws may vary.

Yes, I am a kook. But only over this (as far as I can tell).

8-05-03 6:48pm (new)

Rabid_Weasle
Professional style cramper

Member Rated:

Do any of the employess recognize you yet?

---
Poop.

8-05-03 7:32pm (new)

Trippingbillee
Playmate of the apes.

Member Rated:

Choad, I once tried the same thing at a Costco too. I had only bought a big box of candy and some discount DVD's, and was carrying them out the door when the guy yelled. I held up the stuff I was carrying, and held up my receipt, but kept walking. He ran after me, telling me that I needed to stop or I would be a shoplifter.

After he checked my receipt, he told me that he would get in trouble if he didn't check. I'm not sure what the moral of my story is.

Don't try to eat the little packets you find in your coat pockets.

---
Sex Piano.

8-06-03 1:55pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

I like my store, where the cashier thinks my name is John Lennon, and always screws the receipt up into a tiny,tiny ball and throws it in the bin.

Great series.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

8-06-03 2:09pm (new)

flickguy
Senior Comic Technician

Member Rated:

I'm not trying to start an argument with this, believe me... but I have been on both sides of the customer service desk, so I tend to see the "other" side better than most.

You're right, Choad, that they have to have HEAVY suspicion before they detain you. But if you are asked repeatedly to show a receipt -- and you refuse to -- that's a pretty big case for suspicion.

You say your reason is "one line per store". Fine. Walk right by the receipt checking guy. If you're stopped in the parking lot (as is evidenced by your strips), you're out of excuses. You're not in a line, and you're taking more time refusing than you would take just showing your receipt. (Yeah, I understand that the comic was for teh funny, but you get the drift.)

Once you're marked as "uncooperative", they'll watch you like a hawk. Fine, if you never make any mistakes that could be considered criminal -- but all it will take is that one "oops. I stuck this in my coat pocket because I didn't want to have to get a basket, and then forgot to take it back out when I got to the checkstand." And then you *will* be posting your comics from a jail cell. Because service people are vindictive like that.

(Reminds me of all those New Year's Days I worked... ah, sweet, not-so-subtle revenge...)

Oh yeah... and it gets especially nasty when they have "off-duty" police officers working for security. They're not nearly as restricted as store personnel when it comes to detaining someone. At least in Texas. Where I live.

As for billee's story: That's kind of what I was getting at too -- if you don't show that you bought what you bought, for all they know you *are* a shoplifter. It's not really worth their effort to pursue it from the criminal angle, granted, but their system is in place to protect them, the store, and us, the consumers. Face it -- the less "free" stuff that goes out the door, the less often they HAVE to raise their prices to get it back. (Then they just raise the prices out of greed.)

And also, as jes said, it was a good series. ((**there's a smiley here somewhere with your name on it**))

---
This is not my empire.

8-06-03 2:11pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

If the cashier thinks her name is Yoko Ono, then run, do not walk, out of that store, and don't go back.

HTH.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

8-06-03 2:22pm (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

I had paid for "extra" at the register. He said " Welcome to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, Man. Round the corner, her name is Jude"

The receipt was my Ticket To Ride. I said "Hey Jude, It's been A Hard Day's Night, Please Please Me."

I started to "Imagine" what she was going to do to me...

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

8-06-03 3:13pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

Do I need to post this again?

[Click to view comic: 'The Fab 60']

I guess so.

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

8-06-03 3:58pm (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Your points are all well taken, Flickguy, especially the part about how we all pay for shoplifting through the store's overhead costs.

I don't spend more time arguing with the guys than it would have taken to stand in line and show my receipt, because I never stop walking to my car, loading my stuff, etc. It's just entertainment on my way out of the parking lot.

Trippingbillee, it may be that in NJ they can consider you a shoplifter if you don't show your receipt upon demand--I don't know. Otherwise, I would continue to suggest that non-cooperation alone does not rise to the level of suspicion of shoplifting if nobody can say that they saw you pick up the item, conceal it and/or make no attempt to pay.

Interestingly, Costco always holds the line with me that the receipt check is to verify that its customers are not overcharged. We all know it's for shoplifting prevention, but for some reason, they will not say it. So I've been called an asshole and a jerk because I won't let them check to see if they've overcharged me. Now THAT'S customer service!

BTW, I'm going to let my membership expire. When I factor the membership cost against the savings I realize as a single guy, and the fact that I pretty much only eat fresh food these days, it's not really worth it. I just started this thread because I hope that more people will revolt against this stupid inconvenience.

Thanks to anyone who complimented my strips or otherwise indulged me.

8-06-03 7:15pm (new)

Stripcreator » Comic Showcase » Just...Walk Away...

reload page with comics

Jump to:

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests
Sets