Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Evil Umfum Dcom Kitty Jes

Author

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

quote:

YOU BASTARD! Just kidding. There are plenty of people who don't like Johnny Cash yet still manage to live happy, productive lives. "Delia's Gone" is an original.

Actually, "Delia's Gone" is an old standard from a really long time ago that he updated with a reference to grabbing his sub-mowsheen. I read the lyrics to it in an old book of old standards that a woman I was dating a couple of years ago had open in front of her. I do really like his version of the song, though.

10-10-03 2:51pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

It's about time I actually give my impressions of the Umfum CDs. I'll start with the Twant, Violence, and Chicken one since I shamefully only listened to it for the first time yesterday.

Here are the ones that I thought were worthy of note to mention in one way or another:

02 The Autmun Wind - This was hilarious. I'm not sure I would listen to the song itself on its own merits, but it's pretty funny regardless.

04 Delia's Gone - See, I like this song not just because it's a funny song about killing a spiteful woman, but because the first time I heard it was on an episode of Beavis and Butthead when they were watching the video. See, things that remind me of Beavis and Butthead give me the warm fuzzies... another song that reminds me of it is God of Emptiness, by Morbid Angel.

06 Violet - evil_d and I are the same age. This also takes me back to high school. Argh! No! It's actually a really good song, but the memories involved aren't particularly great.

07 Henry Lee - Okay, I've only heard little bits of Nick Cave in passing before, and because of the circumstances under which I have heard them and the resulting situation, the name "Nick Cave" has a few negative associations that tinge any song it's attatched to. Having said that, It's a very good song. I love the music, vocals, lyrics.... but I don't like it. :p If I'm lucky I will get over this some day.

09 Bodies - I so did not like this song when it was on the radio, and I can't say I'm any fonder of it on this CD. The fact that half the people I knew would repeat the chorus out of nowhere made me cringe even more.

10 Drawing Flies - You know, it's not a bad song but were it up to me it's the last song on the album I'd have considered for this disc. It's short and it fits the theme I guess, but Soundgarden did so much better work than this. I guess this accusation could be leveled at me in my video game mix that people will be recieving soon... assuming any of them have every heard anything by the bands to compare it with. Which I doubt many have. Ha-HA! Victory is mine!

12 & 13 - Okay, I love weird little miscelaneous tracks like this. Sadly, you won't be hearing anything of them on the packages I send out because they really don't fit my theme. Like I said before.

16 Goodbye Earl - I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I kinda liked the song a bit... after all, I also kinda sorta liked the one song by the Dixie Chicks that they tortured me with at work at least once an hour on the hour via Country Music Radio. I'll be honest here and say I don't care for country really. I don't even like it "in theory." It's very much one of those styles where I hear rare exceptions to the general rule of vileness.

17 - I distinctly didn't like this one very much. I know this may sound extremely weird coming from me but I genrally don't like atonal singing and sparse melody, UNLESS it's accompanied by a super powerful or catchy percussion section. This really had none of that.

18 The Gift - Oh man, this was really cool! Now this is atonal vocals, sparse melody, and catchy percussion done right! Hypnotic and trance inducing music is really more my thing.

21 Cocaine Blues - You know, I actually liked this one. The crowd noise ws an added bonus.

23 Knoxville Girl - You know, what I like about this song is the contrast between the subject matter and the tone of the music. It sounds so upbeat and happy, and the song is just so gruesome. I like that sort of thing. I'm personally waiting for a death metal band that sings about fuzzy kitties and candle lit dinners. That would honestly make my lifetime.

Those are really the songs that stood out for good or ill on that CD. In my next post, I examine Rapestry, which based just on the title should be fuck's favorite album if it weren't for all the songs about women getting shot and beaten on this particular CD.

10-10-03 6:16pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Rapestry -

Now, going into this CD here's all I know about Rap:

1. I kinda liked the stuff I heard as a little kid
2. I really disliked rap when it went into its gangsta phase
3. I haven't cared enough to keep up with it since the gangsta phase
4. Sir Mix A Lot kicks ass for more songs than just Baby Got Back.

Now, what amazed me was that overall I really enjoyed this CD more than the other one. It didn't really defy my previous knowledge. I tended to really get into the older stuff on this CD. Rapper's Delight, Lyrics of Fury, You're Gonna Get Yours, Peter Piper, Fight the Power, Bitch I'm Broke, these were all really good songs. Unfortunately I can't really give an in depth review of most of these songs. A lot of them are just a case of me liking them because they're catchy. They don't evoke any images in my head, they just have a good beat or good lyrics.

About the Mix-A-Lot song on this CD... I can't tell you how many times I almost put a Mix-A-Lot song on one of my mixes, but it was very seldom ever this one because so many people have heard it already. Sadly, I didn't put one on this mix either. Next time, sirs and ladies. Next time.

I too was dissapointed to hear that Batman vs Blackman had no lyrics.

It wasn't all good though. I can't say I was very fond of Jingling Baby's overall sound, and "It was a good day" was pretty much everything I hated about Rap in the early 90s. You'd think "Nothin' but a "F" Thang" would have given me the same reaction, but somehow I managed to like that one better. I guess it was enough less bragging to make it listenable.

As I said, it was an overall really good mix. Probably my favorite out of all the ones I've recived so far. Who'd have though they'd hear that phrase come from me?

10-10-03 6:51pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

My mistake. The CD notes credited the song to Mr. Cash
------------------------

I'm still recovering from Drexle's reviews--cracked me up for some reason.

Something that made me sad was hearing that the B & B DVDs would not contain them making fun of videos! Too many rights clearances necessary from the RIAA, labels, et al--bastards. They might like to know that the only reason I bought MC 900 Foot Jesus was because I saw the video for "If I Only Had A Brain" on B & B. Same goes for Ween's "Push The Little Daisies."

What other stuff I've heard from Nick Cave I don't like either. His voice inflection and delivery tends to annoy me, but he's more subdued on "Henry Lee." I think you'll like this one soon enough.

I find it odd that most of you people have complained about this song. I've always considered it an overlooked little gem. Maybe it's the horns.

<--See, I'm in stitches.

quote:
17 - I distinctly didn't like this one very much. I know this may sound extremely weird coming from me but I genrally don't like atonal singing and sparse melody, UNLESS it's accompanied by a super powerful or catchy percussion section. This really had none of that.
18 The Gift - Oh man, this was really cool! Now this is atonal vocals, sparse melody, and catchy percussion done right! Hypnotic and trance inducing music is really more my thing.
Now you know why these two are together! I almost didn't include "Little Fury," but I wanted another track from the female POV, and I couldn't find a good Nashville Pussy song.

I like the part at the end where they announce that two men have "receptions." If you listen closely, you can hear somebody ask, "Will that be on the record?" Someone else replies, "No, I don't think so." I think one of them was Johnny, but it's hard to tell.

You'd probably like the Louvin Brothers version of "Atomic Power" then. It's a cheery little ditty about nu-cu-lar destruction. It was covered by none other than Uncle Tupelo on March 16-20, 1991.

----------------------------------------------------

quote:
Rapestry
As I said, it was an overall really good mix. Probably my favorite out of all the ones I've recived so far. Who'd have though they'd hear that phrase come from me?
And to think I almost didn't send you a copy of Rapestry! I just had a feeling you didn't like rap.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-10-03 10:26pm (new)

Drexle
Your Cure for Lameness

Member Rated:

Beavis and Butthead, and also Daria are incredibly good memories for me. There are a number of weird songs that remind me of them, and every time I hear them it makes me smile on the inside. I too was really upset when I heard that none of the B&B episodes released would have videos. In fact, I was also sorely dissapointed when they just seemed to stop showing the videos even during the normal MTV broadcasts. It really took away from the show when they lost them.

And about not liking the Nick Cave song, it really has nothing to do with his delivery or his style. It's what the name Nick Cave makes me think about. I want to like the song, 'cause it's really good and if I hadn't known who wrote it I'd have said "This has got to be the best song on the disc!"

quote:
quote:
Rapestry
And to think I almost didn't send you a copy of Rapestry! I just had a feeling you didn't like rap.

No, it's good that you did. I suppose I can see where you might get the impression that I don't like rap on the whole, 'cause we metal enthusiasts aren't supposed to like it. That's honestly not the case with me though. If I disliked anything about it, it would have been the whole gangsta scene and the type of people that it attracts... right assholes. Even outside of rap, for a long time, there were many bands that I couldn't listen to because total bastards went around wearing their shirts every day. Thankfully, I eventually saw my way past a good bit of that.

10-11-03 1:15am (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

Good news! Even as we speak, hardworking employees of the US Postal Service are tying my CDs to mooses and dolphins -- or in the case of umfum's copy, loading it into a catapult -- and sending them off on their way to you.

If you get my CD earlier than expected, thank dcom, who gave me everyone's address last night when I couldn't access my e-mail account to look them up myself.

It's possible that in my hurry to get to the post office before it closed, I did something boneheaded like put a label on a blank disc and sent that off instead. If there's a problem with your disc, let me know and I'll send you a good one.

Still no package from jes, but the Atlantic is a big ocean, and those dolphins have to take a break now and then.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

10-11-03 2:35pm (new)

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

its... moose.
moose is both the plural and singular form.
unless you're cool like me and say "meese"

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

10-11-03 3:59pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

I prefer mooooooosi.

(Link not working at the moment... constarn it.)

---

10-11-03 5:17pm (new)

kaufman
Director of Cats

Member Rated:

quote:
its... moose.
Meese is not the plural of "moose". It is the singular of "pigs".

---
ken.kaufman@gmail.com

10-11-03 8:55pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

damn, he got away...
those kaufman traps are useless.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-11-03 9:28pm (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

quote:
quote:
its... moose.
Meese is not the plural of "moose". It is the singular of "pigs".

haha... its a joke around, well, saskatoon at least, to say meese because the plural of goose is geese, right?

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

10-12-03 12:43am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

quote:

Still no package from jes, but the Atlantic is a big ocean, and those dolphins have to take a break now and then.

I used porpoises - they're cheaper but slower. The "A" on the packages is for "Eh, we'll get around to delivering it soon enough"

If nothing in 7-10 days, let me know.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

10-12-03 12:08pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Got evil_d's CD today, did not know what to expect, but...

It was wicked.

Top tracks

1. KoRn - one of my favourite tracks by them - good intro.

... the other metal was full on rocking.

8. Pizzicato Five - Funky laid back coolness. You might like the Cornelius track on my second disc if you like this.
9. Polopop - Kitsch kewl.
11. Sifl & Olly - Convoy rocks.
15. De Danaan - This is boss, despite a few wee glitches. I wanted to put some Irish folk on my swap CD but couldn't find any good tracks that I liked. This makes up for that - this is like being at home on a Friday night after closing time. Cheers evil_d, this is cracking!

17. Matt Pollard - Sounds like awesome video game music.
18. Minibosses - super background music. This is like somehting that should have been played by Yes or ELP or Focus.

Another one I'll dig out and listen to when I'm feeling bored and in need of cheerin'

Cheers evil_d.
PS - What's the significance of the cover art?

---

10-14-03 4:27pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Damn, that was quick.

Excellent.

Yeah, sorry about that.

The track seemed to have a little static on it, and I couldn't figure out how to fix that, but decided it was good enough to send anyway. I did strike another track that had static throughout (one of the ones I mentioned earlier in this thread), mostly because of that static but partly due to lack of disc space. I'll try to find a way to include it on a future swap disc.

I was listening to my disc the other night after I mailed off everyone's copy, and got even worse problems than usual with that track, and also with the next one, which had never had problems when I'd tested it before. A lot of cutting out and skipping. I don't know why, or whether the problem is in the CD itself (a brand I haven't used before, but not a bargain brand), the tracks (they seemed fine on the originals), or my player. If you folks experience problems that prevent you from enjoying these or any of the tracks (not liking Irish music doesn't count), let me know and I'll see if I can make you another copy or send you an MP3 or something.

This is especially frustrating because I went through three or four different Sifl & Olly songs trying to find an MP3 that was good enough to use.

Not as much as you might think. I'll say a bit more about that, and post my usual longwinded commentary, after everyone's had a chance to listen to their copy.

---

10-14-03 6:44pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I got Jes' today.

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

10-14-03 10:06pm (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

I haven't gotten either Jes' or evil_d's yet... DAMN YOU CANADA POST!! as for when i'm sending mine out? *sighs* when i have money... so... november 1st. November 1st i solemnly swear to send them out. and if not, may i be shunned for the rest of my life.

---

10-15-03 11:43pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Received an evil CD in the mail yesterday. After rocking out to the first part and enjoying the transitional tracks, I fell asleep to the comforting video game music. So, I'll have to listen again. Review pending.

---

10-16-03 7:32am (new)

Chi_The_Cynic
Comoedus Cynicalis

Member Rated:

My jes_CD arrived today - will post my thoughts once I've had a listen (could be some time, as both Drexle's and eponine's also arrived today!)

10-16-03 7:33am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

All right... I don't know what the hell goes on with Canada Post, but I always seem to get 2 cd's at the same time, which means that I have to pay attention to both person's stuff... Arg. Anyway, what I'm TRYING to say is that i recieved both Jes_'s and evil's cd's today, so critique pending!!

---

10-16-03 10:19am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Kitty's just told me her CD2 from me was blank. If this or anything like this has happened to anyone else let me know and I'll send out a replacement.

now, back to punching my CD burner...

---

10-16-03 11:42am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Both of my CDs are blank.

Oh, that's right, I haven't gotten them yet.

Damn those porpoises!

---

10-16-03 11:58am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I just got evil_d's.

---

10-16-03 10:35pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d's old school house of treats!

Yes, I'm enjoying my treats right now...

1. KoRn--Blind. I didn't really hear KoRn until Follow The Leader. The second half of that CD was pretty repetitive, so I eventually got rid of it. I always wondered if their earlier stuff was better, but I never took a chance and bought any. This one is cool.

2. RaGe--Snakecharmer. I have this CD. Good choice.

3. DeFtOnEs--Around The Fur. Always wondered about these guys. I like this track better than others of theirs I've heard.

4. FiLtEr--Gerbil. I'm biased against this band because of that crappy "Take A Picture" song that was played ceaselessly 99-00.

5. HeLmEt--Biscuits. I have their Meantime on cassette. The problem with bands like this is that they tend to write the same song too often (see Prong--even though Force Fed is awesome).

6. PeNnYwIsE--Nothing. Sorry, this one did "nothing" for me. :(

7. ClUtCh--Escape. I bought a Clutch CD after hearing some of them on evil's last Swap. Good sound.

8/9/10. Pizzicato Five/Polopop/Cowboy Bebop. A friend gave me an mp3 of P-Five's "Girl From Ipanema" which I play a lot. I enjoy all three of these.

11. Sifl & Olly--Convoy. Where have I heard of these guys before? Funny and foot-stompin' good.

12. Third Base--ABCee'z. I used to have this casette. Good times.

13. Sebastian Baxter & John Malkovich Orch--Hipster Sweater. Annoying and compelling at the same time!

14. Benj Luxon & Bill Crofut--Old Joe Clark. Finger-pickin' good!

15. De Danaan--Mulvihill. Nothin' beats a real reel.

16. OneUp Mushrooms--Coast o.t. Sun. The beginning reminds me of SANTANA's "Oye Como Va," but that's a typical Latin/Samba groove anyway. Mmmmmm...Tropical Sax.

17/18. MattPollard/Castlevania. I like hearing video game "background" music out of context. You can imagine your own graphiscapes.

19. Spin Doctors--More. I, too, accidentally bought Pocket Full of Kryptonite. It's one of my "guilty pleasures." Too bad they sucked after that.

20. Modest Mouse--Make/Mechanical Birds. WOW. This is my favorite track on the disc. Starts out in a Stonesish swank and devolves into mechanical bird bliss. Is the rest of their stuff this good?

21. Blind Melon--Change. I have this CD as well. Good song. Apt ending.

Another excellent excursion into evil_d land. Thank you.

---

10-17-03 11:28pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I am going to write stuff about evil_ and jes_'s after the weekend.

---

10-18-03 12:12am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Jes' discs arrived yesterday. Haven't determined if either of them are blank yet. Assuming not, I'll comment on them sometime early next week.

Their first album is the most "authentic". If you like Blind, you might like the album. Their second album I would say is their worst. And if you don't like Follow the Leader, don't bother with their later stuff.

A friend of mine aptly described Meantime as "the same song repeated ten times". Fortunately it's a good enough song that it inspired me to buy Betty, which is much more diverse.

They were a show on MTV. See http://www.sifl-n-olly.com/ .

Depending on why you like this one, yes. I don't think they have anything else quite like the "Mechanical Birds" part, which was what made me want to use this track. The "Make Everyone Happy" part is a fair representation of their style, though. If you enjoyed it, there's a good chance you'd like the album.

Again, I'll get into more detail on this stuff when I post my commentary.

---

10-18-03 7:29am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Evil Umfum Dcom Kitty Jes

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help