Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Evil Umfum Dcom Kitty Jes

Author

little_kitty
I bop, you bop, a-they bop.

Member Rated:

Again, I'm just going to do a general critique of the cd's i recieved, as I am too lazy i mean... too busyto do a play by play (song by song i guess?)

Anyway, Jes_'s one cd... Outrospective... was different (i guess that's the word for it). I liked most of the songs on there, but a few of them I didn't really. (As I am completely retarded, I don't remember the songs I didn't really care for)

Jes_'s other cd, Introspective, was... blank.

Evil's cd came the same day as Jes's... so i had quite the intense music listening spree ahead of me. I am definitely a Korn, Rage, etc fan, so this made me happy. I don't know why i didn't associate evil_d with this sort of music... but it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

All in all, I am very pleased with the CD's I got... Jes_ is sending me out Introspective again, hopefully with music on it this time, but yeah. So I'll do the critique for that one soon. As for my cd's? November 1st, guys. Student Loan Installment comes in... and don't worry... I'll be sending them express post...

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

10-18-03 11:51am (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Kitty, glad you liked some of my stuff. But yeah, "Eclectic" is my middle name and granted, tracks about the Gulf War, drum and bass, ska, soul and jazz aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Would you prefer I sent you a CD of some rock and metal stuff I listen to instead of the other CD? It could be arranged easily, as my Introspective CD is, well, pretty emo.

Everyone:
If your internet's up to it here's the guy I mentioned in my notes:John Peel, on-line. If you want to hear eclectic, he starts with some Grrl-metal, through Hip-hop-breakbeat-dance, into Electronica by the third tune, then into some punk by the 4th.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

10-18-03 2:13pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

quote:
Everyone:
If your internet's up to it here's the guy I mentioned in my notes:John Peel, on-line. If you want to hear eclectic, he starts with some Grrl-metal, through Hip-hop-breakbeat-dance, into Electronica by the third tune, then into some punk by the 4th.
If I didn't have such a gay download limit I would.

---
Batman created by Bob Kane

10-18-03 4:11pm (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

Kitty, take your time with the reviews and discs. I am still owed discs from the second CD swap, so anything that gets here faster than them is okay by me. :)

I was in my car for about five hours today, and so had plenty of time to listen to some swap discs.

Jes' discs I have only listened to once each and so can't say much about yet, other than "I like 'em". Both of them contain music, but my car's CD player didn't like tracks 18 or 19 of Outrospective.

A couple of things about dcom's and umfum's discs that I haven't said before. Dcom: the 28 Days track is one of my favorites. Umfum: a lot of your stuff is instrumental, and without lyrics to grab my attention it can take me a while to notice a song, even when I like it. Just wanted to get around to saying that I like pretty much all of the lyricless songs on TV&C.

Also, in light of a particular song umfum gave us in this swap, I think it's quite appropriate that I post these links here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/quislibet/164084.html
http://www.student.richmond.edu/~zp8we/greek%20rap.htm

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

10-18-03 7:10pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

My rough hands gripped jes' bulky package today!

Haven't had a chance to listen as I was helping my bro-in-law move furniture today--"can't you just sell the bloody piano?"--but reviews will appear soon, i'm sure.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-18-03 11:09pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

"Out"ward Bound:

**01. Sibelius--Finlandia.
excellent opening--your grandfather must have been a good one.

**02. A--Nothing.
"Nothing" short of amazing--I can't stop playing this.

**03. Apples In Stereo--You Said That Last Night.
Quite pleasant--I sort of wish this one came after Wendy Carlos in the sequencing. I wanted more crunch after "Nothing."

**04. Hundred Reasons--Remmus.
I think I've heard this one somewhere. I really like it, plus it's got the crunch stated above. It kind of freaks me out that the singer sounds a bit like Jon Anderson of YES at times.

05. St. Germain--Rose Rogge.
Nice groove. I believe I stated somewhere that electronica can get old because of the redundancy of the beat, but this has enough interjections to keep me interested.

06. Ian Dury & The Blockheads--What A Waste!
Nice and laid back. Clever lyrics.

**07. Wendy Carlos--Title Music.
This sounds like the title music to a cheesey sci-fi space adventure. I'm imagining spaceships on strings and lizards in forced perspective. Good sounds, though.

08. The Wannadies--You And Me Song.
This one has taken quite a licking in the forums. It starts off reasonably well, but turns annoyingly vapid very quickly. I understand jes' attachment because of extenuating circumstances, but "You And Me Song" really sucks.

**09. Super Furry Animals--Juxtaposed With U.
Now, THIS is a song to have sex by.

10. Higher Intelligence Agency--Lines In The Sand.
Ooh, conspiracies set to music! jes prefaces this piece with a caution, so I took it in stride. however, i have no doubt that the CIA does more than we'll ever know about.

11. Travis--Tied To The 90s.
I like the spirit of this song, but I've never been able to get into Travis. They probably came around too late for this old man.

12. FOCUS--Hocus Pocus.
My Dad has this album. We'd put Hocus Pocus on when we were feeling goofy. One weird thing about this song is that it sounds like Southern Rock (aside from the yodeling, that is).

**13. John B.--Jazz Session 2.
I have a sneaking suspicion that jes would like jazz. In fact, I think I'm going to send him a disc chock full of jazz just for the fun of it.

**14. David Holmes--Rip Rip.
Another one that's made a deep impression on me. Almost sounds like a leftover from the BEASTIE BOYS' Check Your Head.

15. Max Romeo & The Upsetters--Chase The Devil.
Nice Rap n Reggae stylie mon.

**16. John Barry--Midnight Cowboy.
Cool--another Midnight Cowboy cover for my collection!

**17. Horace Parlan--Congalegre.
Excellent Latin-tinged jazz track. I haven't bought any Horace Parland, yet, but I might have to after hearing this one.

**18. Plaid--Scoobs In Coumbia.
Another great track that gets me dancing around in my skivvies.

19. Selecter--On My Radio.
The toys are winding down, now.

**20. Akabu (feat. Linda Clifford)--Ride The Storm.
Ah, the perfect exit from jes' interior. Linda=smooth n sexy.

[hr]

Okay, the color coding for text isn't working for me, so I've asterisked the tracks I REALLY like. Thanks to jes for showing off his sunny, groovy exoskelton. I wonder what's "inside?"

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

10-23-03 1:53pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I didn't say which weekend.

---

10-26-03 1:08am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

In my cutting and pasting and trying to get text color to work, this comment should have been included under A's "Nothing." D'Oh.

---

10-26-03 10:08pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Hey umfum,

Wendy Carlos - Title Music is the title music from "A Clockwork Orange". Good call.

PS - I mentally aged your high-school photo about 14 years and it was *exactly* how I pictured you :D

---

10-29-03 3:29pm (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

I owe jes a reaction, and all of you some boring commentary on my disc. I'm thinking sometime next week. Sound good?

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

10-29-03 6:52pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

We'll be here.

---

10-30-03 6:48am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

Mark this date on your Calendars : November 3rd I will be sending off the long awaited for Kitty-Mix. No, its not a box of Kitty Litter, its my CD, along with the song list and commentary, and (this is the good part) added fun WRITTEN on the commentary. For each individual recipient of the CD. Can I get a w00t w00t?

---
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

10-30-03 2:51pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Don't send mine, I won't be here and stuff.

---

10-30-03 3:41pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Here, at this adress that is. I'll still be here here.

---

10-30-03 3:46pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

WARNING: Long Review Ahead

First, I must say that I feel I know jes better after listening to "Introspective." If "Outrospective" represented his colorful candy shell, then "Introspective" is his hidden, tasty, and perhaps nutty interior.

Next, I wrote up a review of jes_lawson's "Introspective" disc, but it sucked. I had run out of spiffy words and expressions, so I then sought aid from Howard Rheingold and his book They Have A Word For It.

They Have A Word For It presents words and expressions from languages other than English. However, these foreign words succinctly express thoughts, actions, and feelings where a similar English equivalent often does not exist. Got it?

[hr]

01. MUM--Celtic River Dance.
hozh'q [HOE-shk] (Navajo): the beauty of life, as seen and created by a person
02. BOARDS OF CANADA--In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country.
nadi [NOD-ee] (Balinese): to temporarily inhabit another dimension
03. ELBOW--New Born.
sabsung [SOB-soong] (Thai): to slake an emotional or spiritual thirst, to be revitalized
04. MOGWAI--Summer (Priority Version).
yugen [YOO-ghen--hard "g"] (Japanese): an awareness of the universe that triggers feelings too deep and mysterious for words
05. TRAVIS--Waiting To Reach You.
Weltschmerz [VELT-shmairtz] (German): a gloomy, romanticized, world-weary sadness, experienced most often by privileged youth
06. BIOSPHERE--Kobresia.
ostranenie [ohsh-truh-NYEHN-yay] (Russian): art as defamiliarization; making familiar perceptions seem strange
07. CORNELIUS--Butterfly.
maya [no pronunciation given, but maybe--mah-throat-clearingYAH] (Sanskrit): the mistaken belief that a symbol is the same as the reality it represents
08. ARAB STRAP--Love Detective.
talkin [TALL-keen] (Indonesian): to whisper instructions to the dying
09. FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON--Papua New Guinea.
ngarong [nn-GAH-rawng] (Dyak, Borneo): a secret helper who appears in a dream
10. GOLDRUSH--I Let You Down.
cavoli riscaldati [KUH-volee ree-skall-DAH-tee] (Italian): attempt to revive an old relationship
11. ROY BUDD--Jazz It Up.
rame [RAH-may] (Balinese): crowded, bustling, chaotic, hectic social environment
12. ATTICA BLUES--Deeper.
shih [SHE] (Chinese): an insightful, elegant kind of knowledge
13. LOW--Closer.*
frotteur [frawt-HER--silent "H"] (French): man who rubs up against strangers (especially women) in crowds
14. BROTHOMSTATES--Adozenaday.*
kut [KOOT] (Korean): spiritual trance performance
15. ROGER WHITAKER--Durham Town.
razbliuto [ros-blee-OO-toe] (Russian): the feeling a person has for someone he or she once loved but now does not
16. ORBITAL--Belfast.
sabi [rhymes with "bobby"] (Japanese): beautiful patina

*These two titles are transposed on the provided tracklist. My #13 is LOW--Closer.

To sum up, I like every track on this disc. It is an overwhelming success. In fact, it fills me with yoin.

yoin [yoh-EEN] (Japanese): experiential reverberation that continues to move you long after the initial external stimulus has ceased

---

11-01-03 1:16am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I really can't be fucked with real reviews. Favourite tracks instead. I will do more when I stop being a lazy zombie.

Favourite favourites are in bold. Favourite favourite favourites are underlined.

Introspective:
Mùm
Cornelius
Arab Strap
Future Sound of London
[b][u]Roy Budd[/u]
Attica Blues[/b]
Roger Whittaker

Outrospective:
A
Apples In Stereo
co.uk
Wannadies
[u]Super Furry Animals[/u]
Travis
John B
David Holmes
Max Romeo & The Upsetters
Mark B and Blade
Doppler Effect

evil_d's thing:
Korn
Deftones
[u]Clutch[/u]
Pizzicato Five
Polopop
Cowboy Bebop
Sifl & Olly
3rd Bass
OneUp Mushrooms
Matt Pollard
Spin Doctors
Blind Melon

---

11-01-03 2:16am (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

Here are a few random and short sentences about stuff. Roy Budd is sexy and awesome. I don't really know if he's sexy, but he's damn awesome. Nate told me about Super Furry Animals one time, I can't find anything of theirs to download or buy. I thought Travis was meant to suck. Travis doesn't suck. I underlined the wrong song, [/b][u]Max Romeo & The Upsetters[/u][/b] was my favourite favourite favourite on Outrospective. I was listening to Korn before I had hair on my nuts. Clutch through Polopop is the highlight of the night. Or at least it would be if evil_d named his disc "night". OneUp Mushrooms is one of the best band names I have ever seen. dongs. wangs.

---

11-01-03 2:29am (new)

fuzzyman
Alpha Geek

Member Rated:

I've made it halfway through unfum's CD. It's an interesting variety of stuff. Some stuff I like, some stuff I think, "this song can't be over soon enough." But that's the way it is with me -- never much into the heavy stuff. A nice sense of humor, and I get the sense that you paid a lot of attention to the order.

A more detailed review when I give it a few more thorough listens.

Glad I got it anyway, only CD I've gotten so far, and it's not even in my swap group!

---
...Trot and Cap'n Bill were free from anxiety and care. Button-Bright never worried about anything. The Scarecrow, not being able to sleep, looked out of the window and tried to count the stars.

11-01-03 5:43am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Thanks, guys. My intention of Introspective was one of sbottornarsi (Italian - "To open up,reveal one's opinions or feelings") and it looked liked it worked - umfum's descriptions are pretty much spot on, although for "New Born", the word I'd pick would be bardo (Tibetan) "The plane between death and birth"

OK - now all I have to do is mail off Kitty's replacement and look forward to hers.

See you in the forums.

---

11-01-03 10:01am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

kitty's being replaced? no way!

You magnificent bastard. I did consider "bardo" for ELBOW, but, hey, everyone has their own interpretation.

Weren't you the one in the Book Thread who said you were reading Bill Bryson's Journey Through England or some similar title? I have his book The Mother Tongue: English And How It Got That Way!

---

11-01-03 9:55pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Yep - "Notes from a Small Island" is the one I have and is about journeys through Britain.

---

11-02-03 8:44am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

*screams and yells in an insane fashion*
okay, now that that's done and over with, bad news. I didnt get the cd's sent out yesterday, as I was napping too long, and because of the stupid fucking weather today, I didn't get them sent out. Tomorrow... I swear to god... Tomorrow they will be sent out, or I will kick someone in the face.

---

11-04-03 2:10pm (new)

dcomposed
C3H5N3O9

Member Rated:

I think I have somewhere you can send it to now. I just don't remember where it is...

---

11-04-03 4:30pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I mailed out the following some weeks ago:

- replacement disc 2 for kitty
- a reduced "Best of" compilation for Trippingbillee

Since I haven't heard that you've got them I can only guess Royal Mail have lost them in the backlog after the strikes that we had. This sucks, and I apologise for our country's idiot postal workers.

Unless they have arrived in which case ignore this post.

---

11-12-03 9:13am (new)

little_kitty

Member Rated:

Jes : can't say that i've gotten it yet, BUT Canada Postal system is shit, so I wouldn't blame your postal system. Then again, its only been 8 buisness days... i'll give it till friday before I start complaining :)

Good news everyone. As of about an hour ago, your cd's were stamped, enveloped, and posted to your respective addresses. As they will be arriving by moose or by goose, expect them in a few weeks.

---

11-12-03 11:06am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » Evil Umfum Dcom Kitty Jes

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help