Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Read My Damn Comics » What do you think?

Author

Spark_Of_Life
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

12-29-15 7:13pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

The jokes are okay but feel forced.  because of the limitations of the panels setup and artwork, the humor has to come almost entirely from the dialogue and that's a delicate balance.

It's something you'll pick up in time; just spend some time looking at the top rated comics and get a feel for how the rhythm works if you want your work to get good reviews here.  If our tastes don't match you comedy, hey, whatever; if you or your friends/family/whoever you share them with find your comics funny, that's all that matters.

Welcome to Stripcreator.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

12-30-15 7:11am (new)

ragu4u
Because being DISGUSTING just isn't enough!

Member Rated:

Heed what HCRoyall had to say!  Isn't he eloquent?  The artwork is your only limiting factor.  Like the Clinton's used to say...."It's the WORDS, stupid!"  The dialogue takes you where the artwork leaves off.  Remember....if it's funny to YOU then it's funny!  You'll NEVER please everybody!  Take me for example....I never please ANYBODY but yet here I am!  The bad penny that you can't get rid of.

Welcome, dude or dudette!

12-30-15 7:24am (new)

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

I liked these.  I really liked the premise of "Expositional Dialogue", though I agree with HCRoyall; the second panel is kind of forced.  There might be a way to introduce that dialogue more naturally.  In "Amnesia", I thought "What weeks?" was a great line.

"The Jogging Show" was okay, but I had to read it a couple of times to understand what was happening.  One piece of advice I'd give about it is that you could cut down the amount of text.  In panel 2, the characters saying "See ya" doesn't contribute anything.  The left guy saying "Suit yourself" and turning away is enough to tell us what we need to know: that they parted ways and didn't go jogging together.  Comedy needs to be quick; don't use more words than you have to.

Keep at it and welcome to Stripcreator.  You have a bright future at this dead-end comedy web site.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

12-30-15 9:33am (new)

ZMannZilla
Ex-Zombie Hunting Dad Creature

Member Rated:

"Exponential Dialogue" was my favorite, it kind of reminded me of a Monty Python sketch.

I agree with the general consensus that you're definitely forcing the jokes a bit. I don't really see that as a bad thing though. Stripcreator is kind of a unique medium and it takes some time and exposure to really get the feel for it. You're working from a pretty solid base of funny though so all I can recommend is keep making comics and have fun!

And of course, welcome to Stripcreator. May someone someday do a tribute strip about one of your strips. :)

---
"He was cursed with a horrorshow of a face, like Guiseppe Archbold doing a study of mollusk tumors."

12-31-15 1:35pm (new)

Spark_Of_Life
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

1-02-16 3:36pm (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

I think "Not the Best Policy" could have used a different punchline, like "I thought it went well" or "But you SAID...", something less direct.  But there is improvement.  Try your hand at a couple open comic contests.  The rules help you streamline your comedy.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

1-05-16 1:35pm (new)

biped
Mr. Wonderful

Member Rated:

I like these.  You are on your way to the big time, at least within the context of Stripcreator.  One nitpick but an important one:dialogue balloons should ALWAYS read from left to right.  Therefore in the strip "Shameless Pun" the two characters' positions should've been switched. If you become a donor you can edit stuff like that.

Keep up the good work!

---
Legend, oh legend, the third wheel legend...always in the way.

1-07-16 8:01pm (new)

Spark_Of_Life
Stripcreator Newbie

Member Rated:

1-08-16 6:23am (new)

Stripcreator » Read My Damn Comics » What do you think?

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help
comics
Random Comic
Comic Contests