Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » eSwap 1.0

Author

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Okay, so far we have:

umfum

TheGovernor

evil d

brycekain

(and probably) Scyess

1) DropBox is the preferred method. My zip file would be ready except that I forgot to include artwork, so I'll work on that soon and then pm you folks with a link to share the folder.  I think my file size ended up being about 109MB. It was easy enough to upload it and Password protect it. The basic version of DropBox is free.

2) If you can't/don't wanna do DropBox, then let us know how to get the files to you via email and state you per-mail MB limit (Gmail is 25MB according to bryce).

3) Another option would be to send links to song videos via YouTube or use a Spotify or similar playlist. Work it out amongst yourselves.

4) If you want to post a review of the playlist(s) you receive, please do so; however, doing so is not required. It is very appreciated, though. ;)

5) If anyone else wants to join, please let us know so we can get your info/send you info.

Thanks and enjoy!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

11-27-16 11:03pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

I'm fine-tuning a track list of about 12 songs.  Should have it ready in the next week or two, unless December gets too busy, which is a definite possibility.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

12-01-16 7:05am (new)

choadwarrior
Crash Magnet

Member Rated:

Holy crap.  Where did you find Scyess?

12-04-16 8:06pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

choadwarrior wrote:

Holy crap.  Where did you find Scyess?

I just looked for not_Scyess; by not finding not_Scyess, I found Scyess. Elementary, my cear choad!

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

12-11-16 10:58pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Okay, I have my zip file ready with 15 mp3s (and artwork included as a pdf file). The total is about 105MB.

Just pm me the email address associated with your DropBox account. NOTE: if you simply want files via email, send me that address and let me know you're swapping via email not DropBox.

Once I have the email address(es), I can send you a link to the shared file on DropBox. The file is password protected, so I'll send that as well.

If/when you are able to access the file and unzip everything successfully, please let me know [u]here[/u]. That way I can post some instructions for those who come along later. Thanks!

I'm sending this message via pm to the group members, also.

---

12-11-16 11:08pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

I've listened to umfumdisi's set once.  First impression is pretty positive; early favorites are (if I'm remembering correctly) tracks 12 and 14.

My own set is close to done, but definitely won't arrive before Christmas, and maybe not until the new year.

---

12-21-16 7:29am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

If it's not too late I'm on for this. I haven't been on SC for months but just read a message from umfumdisi - I'm always up for a music swap. Probably will be January before mine is online but will keep you posted.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

12-24-16 3:56am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson wrote:

If it's not too late I'm on for this. I haven't been on SC for months but just read a message from umfumdisi - I'm always up for a music swap. Probably will be January before mine is online but will keep you posted.

Everyone please pm jes_lawson when you have a zip file ready so you can share with him, as well.

Bryce is doing his via gmail. I think I ended up sending my tracks in 5 or 6 emails with the 25Mb limit. Don't know if he received everything okay.

---

12-27-16 11:30pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Just finished my mix and put the ZIP up on Dropbox.  Umfumdisi, I shared it with you already.  Everyone else should have gotten a PM from me; let me know if not.

The ZIP is ~75 MB and contains 15 tracks, plus some cover art and an M3U playlist with the suggested listening order.  I'll post some short comments on the tracks later.

Now that this is done I should have more time to listen to umfumdisi's mix.

---

1-07-17 11:28am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I'm having a few issues with Dropbox due to my inadequate hard drive, as well as fitting time in round moving house, but I'm hoping this weekend will be when I can stick mine up online. Got umfum and evil_D's mixes and can't wait to get time to hear them.

PS if I don't have your address yet, pm me or umfumdisi, he has mine.

---

1-12-17 10:50am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

jes_lawson wrote:

Got umfum and evil_D's mixes and can't wait to get time to hear them.

I had a listen to umfum's Solar Flair mix today.  Stellar stuff, that's how to structure a cosmic mix...

My mix is still pending but expect a lot of short bursts of awesome, as well as some found sound from the depths of NI...

---

1-16-17 3:26pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

Just finished my mix and put the ZIP up on Dropbox. 

The ZIP is ~75 MB and contains 15 tracks, plus some cover art and an M3U playlist with the suggested listening order.  I'll post some short comments on the tracks later.

Please do post some comments. Mine are below. Great artwork! Why didn't I think of that? Because I suck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

01 ROLLINS BAND Ghostrider - It's been forever since I listened to Rollins Band, and this track reminds me what I liked about them back then. Forgot this was on The Crow soundtrack. Guess I'll have to get that one now.

02 CLUTCH Firebirds - Clutch has some songs I like but others that make me say "Meh". I like this one a lot.

03 CAPTAIN DAN & THE SCURVY CREW Shore Leave - This sounds exactly how it should sound from the title. Seems like it would be equally at home in a biker bar or on an episode of Spongebob. I didn't even know pirate rap was a genre before now!

04 MC CHRIS Check the Ring, Yo - I really thought this was a female. Then I listened to "Fett's Vette" and still thought it was a female -- even though all of the online evidence seems to point in a dickward direction. Sick rhymes, though.

05 WYNONIE HARRIS Grandma Plays the Numbers - It's interesting how "gutter" jazz and blues became the blueprint for Rock N Roll. Many black artists only became known for their risque or novelty tunes (from Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Moocher" all the way up to Chuck Berry and "My Ding-A-Ling"). And rap didn't really break through nationwide until Aerosmith and Run-DMC teamed up on "Walk This Way". Whatever its history, this is a cool song. Shoutout to Fallout 4.

06 THE THRILLING ADVENTURE HOUR Trouble in My Place - So, TTAH is apparently an old-time-radio-style comedy show. Seems about right.

07 THE MINT JULEP JAZZ BAND You Can’t Live in Harlem - Old-tyme (different than old-time above;) Jazz by new young hipsters. It swings elegantly. I'm definitely stealing this and putting it on future comps. --BTW, this track wouldn't play when I first imported the tracks into winamp, but I went back and added it by itself, and now it works fine.--

I guess I leaned more toward BUDOS BAND and THE MENAHAN STREET BAND after the Daptone Gold collection came out. Both bands are worth checking out if you haven't already.

08 A SKILLZ (feat Kymberly Kennedy) Dead Ringer - I made a compilation CD for myself called Deep Funk Expedition featuring recordings of "lost" funk. Sounds like similar may have been sampled for this track. Maybe I'll whip that one out for future e-swap. Good stuff.

09 THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS The Lady and the Tiger - What's a stripcreator swap without TMBG? A bad one!

10 DEX DUBIOUS In Space - Updated version of Les Baxter's space lounge Jazz sound? Sure.

11 MEGA RAN & STORYVILLE (feat. Wise Intelligent) I Know Who I Am +

12 MEGA RAN (feat. D&D Sluggers) Infinite Lives - I guess I'm a nerd. I like this nerdcore stuff. Never heard of this guy before. Second tune is infintely catchy. Flow shows through blows mind anew.

13 ONE DAY AS A LION If You Fear Dying - Well, this is obviously Zack de la Rocha. Did they ever release anything else?

14 BUDDY WAKEFIELD Convenience Stores - This guy is something else. I'd normally avoid a poetry slam like a toddler avoids the truth, but I'd make an exception for him.

15 SAGE FRANCIS Slow Down Gandhi - Is it just automatic that white rappers now sound like Eminem to me? This guy certainly shares some vocal inflections with Marshall Mathers, but his messages seems more legit, rooted in reflections on real life where Eminem is just the Rap God.

I understand when Em says "faggot" was just a word that was used a lot when he came up in rap battles and such. My friends and I used it all the time in high school, too, mostly referring to each other. But we grew up. When Eminem sprayed "faggot" around in "Rap God", it just sounded out of place and unnecessary. And I'm not one to tell people what they can and can't say. They're just words, after all. They only have power if you give them power, but some people wield them more effectively than others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, this is a great compilation that introduced me to some new stuff, which is entirely the point. Based on what's here, you might like SIAH & YESHUA DAPOED'S The Visualz Anthology from 2008. There's also The Visualz EP (which is on YouTube); if you like that, you might as well search out the Anthology which includes pretty much everything they ever recorded together. Siah moved to the Middle East to study the region, and I don't know what happened to Yeshua. I got it as a DL when I was briefly an oinker (RIP, oink).

Unrelated, do you like King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard? Just found out about them recently. I like what I've heard from Nonagon Infinity . Thanks for the great music!

---

1-16-17 10:10pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

So here are my thoughts on Solar Flair.  I might have more later, but I don't want to leave you waiting for too long and I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to sit down and listen again.

[hr]

Really cool cover art.  Looks like you put a lot of work into it.

01. Pink Floyd - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
02. Mercury Rev - Holes
03. Venus in Furs - Ladytron

I guess the order of tracks was determined by the order of the planets, but I was really impressed with the musical similarities, the continuity of theme, in these first three.

04. Bill Haley and His Comets - Razzle Dazzle

Maybe the song that is least like the rest of the mix, although Parliament is in contention for that title too.  I appreciate that both hipsters and square cats are equally welcome here.  But shouldn't the comets come between the moon and Mars?

05. Rush - Earthshine

I think I was born a little too late to listen to Rush, but I've gradually become aware that they're well regarded in some quarters.  Don't have an opinion on the band as a whole, but this song is pretty boss.

06. Bon Iver - Moon Water
07. The Bad Plus - Life on Mars
08. Dave Brubeck Quartet with Bill Smith - By Jupiter

I own Time Out and nothing else, but I doubt there's been a bad Dave Brubeck song.

09. Sun Ra - Saturn

It's hard to know what to say about instrumental tracks, but as a whole I thought this "jazz block" was good stuff.

10. Sleeping At Last - Neptune
11. Bjork - Pluto

You know, I could have been a Bjork fan, maybe.  But one of my college roommates really loved Bjork, and played the same album repeatedly at high volume.  I'll go as far as to say that I appreciate the composition here; I think this is objectively a good song, but for me, this song, and Bjork in general, are challenging to listen to.

12. Voivod - Astronomy Domine
13. Parliament - Theme from the Black Hole

I died from an overdose of double entendre.

14. Noisia - Alpha Centauri

Probably the standout track of the mix for me.  I don't know the technical term but I like the scratchy parts later in the song.

15. King's X - Pleiades

---

1-17-17 8:07am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

And now a little editorializing about my own mix.  Written before reading umfum's comments above.

[hr]

01. Rollins Band - Ghostrider

If you've ever wondered where the quote next to my name in these forums is from, here it is.  This song was actually on the soundtrack to The Crow.  What do The Crow and Ghost Rider have to do with one another?  Nothing!  They're not even owned by the same company.  I don't know how this happened.

02. Clutch - Firebirds!

I've put a Clutch song on every SC music swap because they're my favorite band.  This is from their most recent album, Psychic Warfare, which I think is their best in years.

03. Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew - Shore Leave

You're probably thinking, oh that's cute, somebody got their friends together and made a rap song about pirates.  But, no, somebody got their friends together and made like 60 rap songs about pirates.

04. mc chris - Check the Ring, Yo

MC chris is most famous for 2001's "Fett's Vette", sung from the perspective of Boba Fett.  This track is from 2006, and in case you were worried, he has gotten married in the intervening time.

05. Wynonie Harris - Grandma Plays The Numbers

If you've heard this song before, it's probably in the same place where I did: on Diamond City Radio in Fallout 4.

06. The Thrilling Adventure Hour - Trouble in My Place

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a radio show revival in the form of a podcast.  My wife and I have been listening to their "Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars", a space western comedy, on car trips recently.  One episode was a musical, and this is my favorite song from it.  The singers are Craig Cackowski as "local yokel Felton" and Joshua Malina (of The West Wing fame) as the town bartender, who stereotypically reminds all his patrons of his aversion to trouble.

07. The Mint Julep Jazz Band - You Can’t Live in Harlem

Saw these folks live a couple of years ago.  A fine jazz outfit.

08. A Skillz feat. Kymberley Kennedy - Dead Ringer

Honestly, I don't know anything about this song or the artists, I just heard it on jetsetradio.live and really liked it.

09. They Might Be Giants - The Lady and the Tiger

I figure everybody has a copy of Flood, but maybe not everybody knows what TMBG are up to these days.  This track is from 2013.

10. Dex Dubious - In Space

Same deal as A Skillz above.  These songs are just really fun.  Joyful, I would say.

11. Mega Ran & Storyville feat. Wise Intelligent - I Know Who I Am

Storyville (verse 2) and Mega Ran (verse 3 & refrain) teamed up to make an album called "Soul Veggies", which is where this is from. We'll see Mega Ran again on the next track.  I kind of agonized over whether to use this track, or another one from the same album called "Rappin' About Rappin'", which hilariously parodies hip-hop customs.  But this one has a guest MC and a better tune, so I thought it might have broader appeal.

12. Mega Ran feat. D&D Sluggers - Infinite Lives

Mega Ran used to be called "Random" until he released a couple of albums where all the music was from the Mega Man games.  They're good stuff if you like that sort of thing.

13. One Day As a Lion - If You Fear Dying

One Day As a Lion was a team-up between Zack de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine and Jon Theodore from The Mars Volta/Queens of the Stone Age. They released one five-track EP in 2008, and nothing since then.  It was Zack's first album since Rage broke up.  Even though I consider myself a big Rage fan, it took me until last year to hear about this project.  Anyway, if you also miss Zack, the EP is well worth the purchase.

14. Buddy Wakefield - Convenience Stores

Normally I wouldn't put spoken word on a mixtape, but since this is all digital, I figure you can just delete it if you don't want to listen to it.  And anyway, I guess it's not that much different, conceptually, from including a song with music but no lyrics.

I actually don't listen to spoken word... pretty much ever, but I saw Buddy Wakefield with Sage Francis (next track) a few years ago and was really impressed by him.

15. Sage Francis - Slow Down Gandhi

This track is from 2005 but, no surprise, as relevant as ever.

---

1-17-17 8:15am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

umfumdisi

Glad you liked it!  But man, your cover really blows mine away.

umfumdisi

Do.  Not that The Crow wasn't a good movie, but this is one of those cases where the soundtrack is good enough to justify the movie's existence by itself.  Another case like that is the soundtrack to Batman Forever (which is indeed a very bad movie otherwise).

umfumdisi

Yeah, he's a guy with a very distinctive voice.  Did you watch any shows on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network back in the day?  Chris was an animator/writer/etc. for them in the early days and provided some memorable voice work in Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I saw mc chris and Mega Ran on tour a few months ago and it was a fantastic show.

umfumdisi

Years ago, in a previous swap, you and dcom recommended that I get Raising Hell.  I just want you to know that it took me until last month, but I finally followed your advice.

Speaking of whom: I'm missing one of dcom's CDs from a swap you and I were on with him.  Was going to ask you if you still had it, but I don't remember which one.

umfumdisi

Maybe a problem with the apostrophe in the filename?  Sorry about that.

umfumdisi

I'd be interested in more of anything that sounds like this track.

umfumdisi

See my previous post -- the answer is yes, but not enough.  Zack has appeared on the odd track here and there, but from what I've read, he's basically too much of a perfectionist and is afraid to release anything that isn't as good as Rage was -- but what could be?

umfumdisi

Yeah, about how I felt.

umfumdisi

Yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying.  I think it's at least partly a question of working with the accent that you have due to your cultural/racial background.  Like, certain rhymes or inflections are just going to sound better coming from white folks than black folks or vice-versa.

Interesting side note though, I think there's actually some bad blood between Sage and Eminem.  But I don't have a ton of patience for rap feuds so I don't really know about it.

umfumdisi

That's some high praise from someone who clearly knows what he's talking about.

umfumdisi

You've dropped a lot of names I don't know; I'll look into at least some of them.

umfumdisi

You're going to have to explain "oinker" to me.

---

1-17-17 9:33am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

An amendment to some of my previous comments.

I retract my question about comets.  I was thinking of asteroids.  Comets can be anywhere.  Well, so can asteroids, but... never mind.  Question withdrawn.

Amazon wants 90-some dollars for The Visualz Anthology so I don't think that's in the cards.  But I listened to The Visualz on YouTube as suggested.  It's good stuff.  I thought it was surprisingly sophisticated for its time period (mid-'90s).  It could have been written today and nobody would think it sounded outdated.

I also listened to some Noisia on Soundcloud since they were my favorite track of the set.  I liked what I heard.

---

1-23-17 8:17am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

Glad you liked it!  But man, your cover really blows 

Glad you didn't stop there ;)

evil_d wrote:

Do.  Not that The Crow wasn't a good movie, but this is one of those cases where the soundtrack is good enough to justify the movie's existence by itself.  Another case like that is the soundtrack to Batman Forever (which is indeed a very bad movie otherwise).

I liked the movie and the soundtrack (I think NIN is on there?) -- just literally forgot about it. I did recently buy the Judgement Night soundtrack, though. And, of course, I have Prince's Batman soundtrack. I also got the Triplets of Belleville one long ago because someone put it on a swap CD.

evil_d wrote:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Took me a long time to get into ATHF, but him being on it now sounds familiar.

evil_d wrote:

Years ago, in a previous swap, you and dcom recommended that I get Raising Hell.  I just want you to know that it took me until last month, but I finally followed your advice.

Speaking of whom: I'm missing one of dcom's CDs from a swap you and I were on with him.  Was going to ask you if you still had it, but I don't remember which one.

Excellent! While I'm here, I've only heard "Rings" by Aesop Rock, but I really like it. Great video, too.

dcom wasn't the greatest about labeling his discs, but I should have them somewhere. I remember Wombats (maybe?) and S.N.A.W. (Songs Not About Wombats). One of them had this song, which I've played for numerous people. He also had Killing Heidi and Roots Manuva on there I think.

If I can find it, I'll be glad to .zip it up for you. That's what she said.

evil_d wrote:

he's basically too much of a perfectionist and is afraid to release anything that isn't as good as Rage was -- but what could be?

Ha, not much, but they probably stopped at about the right time. Tom was everywhere for a while, but I haven't heard much about him lately.

umfumdisi

evil_d

oink was an invitation-only, file-sharing site (music and much more) that came about from the what.cd site (same thing, diff name, legal reasons).

It was somewhat ethical because you had to maintain a certain level upload/download ratio, but they did feature occasional "free" DLs, suggested by mods and power users, which didn't count against your ratio. That's how I got The Visualz Anthology and multiple other interesting things.

I eventually lost my account (could never upload anything successfully or popular enough to dent my bad ratio). But my friend kept his until last year when they were finally shut down. He was really bummed about it. Oh, and I somehow wrangled my original invitation from ObiJo. Yes, everything leads back to stripcreator.

---

1-24-17 12:35am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

[hr]

Really cool cover art.  Looks like you put a lot of work into it.

I did, thanks. Adding the names took the longest, but I truly enjoy doing these things, so no big deal.

evil_d wrote:

04. Bill Haley and His Comets - Razzle Dazzle

Maybe the song that is least like the rest of the mix, although Parliament is in contention for that title too.  I appreciate that both hipsters and square cats are equally welcome here.  But shouldn't the comets come between the moon and Mars?

I think we're both right (and wrong?). It could be either. This track does wreck the mood a bit, but that's why it's the Halley's Comet of this collection. Plus, I thought the guitar solo was pretty good (for that era).

evil_d wrote:

05. Rush - Earthshine

I think I was born a little too late to listen to Rush, but I've gradually become aware that they're well regarded in some quarters.  Don't have an opinion on the band as a whole, but this song is pretty boss.

That it is. Well, in case you (or anyone else reading this) is interested, my friend and I have a website where we listed the Top 50 Rush songs -- http://www.frequency-boost.org/rush50list.html. I'm TG. I also did the artwork. Go to the homepage if you want to read more.

evil_d wrote:

08. Dave Brubeck Quartet with Bill Smith - By Jupiter

I own Time Out and nothing else, but I doubt there's been a bad Dave Brubeck song.

Probably not. Was lucky enough to see him in concert once. He was 75 but played like he was 25. Amazing!

evil_d wrote:

09. Sun Ra - Saturn

It's hard to know what to say about instrumental tracks, but as a whole I thought this "jazz block" was good stuff.

Ra can be hit or miss, but I like him a lot. Lanquidity is a 42-minute space-jazz trip if you're ever in the mood.

evil_d wrote:

You know, I could have been a Bjork fan, maybe.  But one of my college roommates really loved Bjork, and played the same album repeatedly at high volume.  I'll go as far as to say that I appreciate the composition here; I think this is objectively a good song, but for me, this song, and Bjork in general, are challenging to listen to.

Interesting, one of my college suitemates played The Sundays' Reading, Writing and Arithmetic ad nauseam. If I ever heard it again, I'd be transported right back to the dorm!

evil_d wrote:

I died from an overdose of double entendre.

My desired effect...

evil_d wrote:

14. Noisia - Alpha Centauri

Probably the standout track of the mix for me.  I don't know the technical term but I like the scratchy parts later in the song.

You never know which one will stand out for people, but I like this one very well, too. Must admit I found it at the last minute.

---

1-24-17 1:17am (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Hey swappers, my mix has been uploaded and (I hope) shared to Dropbox.  Thematically it has taken a bit of a turn due to recent events with me, but let me know if you get it.

Not my greatest work, but I'm not feeling that great right now, but if there's one thing I can do, it's pick music and try and weave a concept into a mix.  I said I would deliver by January - I have - if you can't access it - DM me or e-mail me.  

I will give umfum's and evil_d's mixes a proper review on here, when I'm in better form and have more time.  On first listening, they were both grand.  Looking forward to the other participants coming through.

---

1-31-17 4:41pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Oh, and there's probaly an extra Easter Egg in the form of a Thom Yorke remix I forgot to list...

Again, e-mail, DM me, my compilation is online.

---

1-31-17 4:54pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

Right, evil_d tells me I've shared the wrong folder which is what I was afraid of. It'll be online within 6 hours...

---

2-01-17 9:20am (new)

TheGovernor
Talentless Hack

Member Rated:

Right, apologies for delay,  I'm getting there with a shortlist and should have my swap ready in a few days or so. (Been organising my music collection as it was a shambolic mess spanning multiple devices,  incidentally Id recommend Music Bee if you're in the market for a decent free windows based music player) 

Once it is all tickedy boo I'll upload the relevant snuff to the snaffle and send out the sketch.  (Once ready I will upload said music to dropbox and message passwords and such to relevant parties) 

Original plan was to listen to your swaps in the car but a mechanic swiped my phone to radio doo-dad at its service last month so will give them a proper run out on my computer in the coming week and leave some notes. I also found I'd started a file on my work comptuer of notes from previous swaps that never quite made it to a forum post so will dig that out also.

2-10-17 8:17am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

jes_lawson wrote:

Oh, and there's probaly an extra Easter Egg in the form of a Thom Yorke remix I forgot to list...

Again, e-mail, DM me, my compilation is online.

Just DLed, and it looks like great earfun is ahead.

S'already late here, so I think I'll burn it to disc and listen tomorrow. Just finished filling out my tax forms and am about shagged out.

Track 04a came through as a .wav file, but I fixed that up tout-de-suite.

BTW, jes' swap password is super complicated. I mean, I would not underscore how complicated it is.

Thanks, jes!

[hr]

Also, I will try to get my second set out this week. All the tracks are by one band. I know that's risky, but I think they can pull off holding your attention. Hints:

The band has been around a good while and has changed up their sound through the years while still being indentifiable as that band. I saw them live in 2015 -- excellent show with super energy in a small venue. They've had mostly the same four members until recently.

---

2-19-17 9:41pm (new)

jes_lawson

Member Rated:

I didn't think I'd added a password! Always do what the cyber criminals don't expect I.e. forget if you added a password or just made it ridiculous easy and forgot it :p

Comments on umfum and evil_D's mixes follow shortly...

---

2-20-17 12:31pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Samples & Loops, Phones & Heartbreak

I wasn't expecting anyone to have actually made any of the tracks they sent for this swap.  I feel like I'm part of an exclusive club now that I have these rare & unique compositions.

00 -- Ulster Television Ident
01 -- (UTV orchestra) -- The Antrim Road

These opening tracks make me feel like I'm sitting in the living room with you.  Great intro!

02 -- Mister Nick -- Axelrod Speaks
03 -- David Axelrod -- The Human Abstract

I guess I ought to know who David Axelrod is, but I don't.

04 -- Pekka Pohjola -- Sekoilu Seestyy (Madness Subsides)
04a -- Midnight In A(n) (im)Perfect World

I know that electronic music like this gets puts together from parts of other songs, but I rarely think about those source songs.  So hearing them together like this was really interesting.  I have a copy of MiaPW from a friend who's trying to get me interested in DJ Shadow, so I listened to that too for comparison.

05 -- Napalm Death -- The Kill
06 -- The Winstons -- Amen Brother

I had heard of the "Amen break" before, but had never heard the original song.  It's catchy!

06a -- N.W.A -- Straight Outta Compton

Have to admit I would not have recognized the sample in this song without your clue.  Mostly because it's slowed down, I guess.  And because I'm unobservant.

07 --  Patrick Troughton as Doctor Who
07a -- Delia Derbyshire -- ZIWZIH ZIWZIH OO-OO

I'm not the Doctor Who fan that I'd need to be to appreciate these, but I do like them.  The second sure has that '70s sci-fi sound.  The first, unfortunately, is really quiet, and I have to turn up the volume if I want to hear it.

08a -- Adele and Lionel Richie answer the phone

Just to be clear, this track is supposed to be 11 seconds long, right?  I'm pretty sure it is.

08b -- Homer Simpson and the snack related mishap

I remember this scene and can picture it as I listen.

08c -- Robin The Fog - I Answered The Phone...

This one is a miss for me, I'm afraid.  I feel like there's some context that I'm missing.  But as it is, this sounds like an excerpt from a comedy routine that I wouldn't laugh at.

09 -- And So I Watch You From Afar - S Is For Salamander
09a -- DOOM -- Gazzillion Ear (Thom Yorke Remix)

I instantly recognized MF Doom, but hadn't heard this song before.  It's a great showcase of his unique style.  But I'll need to look up the original in order to appreciate what Thom Yorke brings to this version.

10 -- Ray Parker Jr. / Will Smith / jes_lawson -- The Fresh Ghostbuster of Bel-Air

This is better than it has a right to be.

11 -- Drew Fairweather -- Making Beats In The Studio With Charles

Who's Charles?  Is Charles a dog?  Is there a Charles?

11a -- Glenn Campbell -- Wichita Lineman

This seems like it's probably a classic, but I hadn't heard it before.

12 -- Napalm Death - Deceiver
13 -- Guy Mitchell -- Heartache by The Numbers

Man, I played a lot of Fallout: New Vegas.  This really takes me back to all those days travelling the Wasteland with my trusty energy pistol on my hip and a robot companion floating over my shoulder.

14 -- Sufjan Stevens -- Casimir Pulaski Day

I like this a lot.  Melancholy, but also pleasant and peaceful in a way. I recognize the artist's name but am not familiar with him.  This harmonizes well with the preceding and following songs.

15 -- Travis -- The Cage
16 -- Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game

I have mixed feelings about Amy Winehouse I guess.  Everybody loves her music, it seems, and objectively I see why, but it evokes a kind of "smoke-filled jazz lounge" atmosphere that doesn't really resonate with me.  A friend gave me a copy of "Back to Black" as part of another CD swap, and I liked that, but as for this one, I judge it to be "just okay".

17 --  M.I.A. / Adele / The Clash / jes_lawson -- Send My Love To You On A Paper Plane

I don't think I've heard any of these songs before, which leaves me free to regard this as the authoritative version of them.  I love it.

18 -- Napalm Death --  Dead (pt1.)

An instant classic.

77 -- Duke Special -- Love is a Series of Scars
99 -- ...

Another one where I have to turn the volume way up to hear anything.

Great mix; thanks for sending it.  Favorite track: can't decide between Amen Brother, Gazzillion Ear, Casimir Pulaski Day, and Paper Plane.

---

2-21-17 7:07am (new)

Stripcreator » Stripcreator CD Swap » eSwap 1.0

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help