Important notice about the future of Stripcreator (Updated: May 2nd, 2023)

stripcreator forums
Jump to:

Stripcreator » General Discussion » Try as I might, I can't stand Green Day

Author

Porternotes
http://www.porternotes.com

Member Rated:

There.

I said it.

---
https://www.porternotes.com

5-15-15 10:59pm (new)
quote : comics : pm : info

evil_d
Riding through your town with his head on fire

Member Rated:

It's okay.  You can stop trying now.

---
The what mentioned above is total fiction. Please don't take it seriously!

5-16-15 7:54am (new)

Porternotes

Member Rated:

Whew!
It's like a weight has been lifted off of me.
Thanks.

I mean, quite frankly, I can't stand them. I hated them in the 90s I hate them still. I don't understand their popularity. It must be "the punk rock it's okay to like". I mean... Does anybody else remember when they tried to conduct all of their interviews with fake British accents? And the lead singer, he looks just like a character from the cartoon SpongeBob Square pants. And not one of the main characters either, but one of the no-name fish characters that doesn't really have much purpose. And "American Idiot" on Broadway?!? Composers have poured their heart and soul, their blood and sinew, their very life force into works that have gone on Broadway and "American idiot" is out there with them?! No way, man. Not cool. Rolling Stone called it "a global knockout" what?!? Who's salad got tossed for that review? Other reviews at best were "mixed". What.... The Fuck? Where is our culture? Our integrity? Come on, Americans, demand better! Fuck Green Day!

---

5-16-15 8:48am (new)

brycekain
AFallenMind.com

Member Rated:

Personally I recommend Fuzzy Death Machine, but then I'm biased.

---
...and if you liked that one, here's a link to my other stupid shit.

5-16-15 11:51am (new)

Injokester
Definitely drunk

Member Rated:

I know what you mean, though for me it's Nirvana. It's not just their music it's that when you imagine Jamie Oliver singing with Kurt Cobain's voice then you can never again not hear the down syndrome.

---
Dinosaurs had eggs bro, the chicken came way later.

5-17-15 11:44pm (new)

HCRoyall
100mg Thorazine, Please

Member Rated:

Is Green Day a great band? No.  But they've got a few songs I really like.  

Nirvana on the other hand... Nirvana is the band everyone liked when they were twelve because it was the cool band, and I feel like everyone realizes the band is shit but they keep saying they like it because everyone else is saying that even though eveyone else secretly hates it too.  The only thing good that came out of Nirvana was the Foo Fighters, and they've had a few rocky stretches along the way temselves.

---
It was such a waste of everyone’s time and money that even the Tokyo stadium’s rape robots apologized– something they were programmed specifically never to do.

5-18-15 5:54am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

If I could have picked one '90s punk band to get a Broadway show, it would have been the Offspring.  But only if the show were based on something from their first three albums.

I liked Nirvana better than the Foo Fighters and I still do.  I know they weren't as technically accomplished and I don't care.  Not that I don't like the Foo Fighters.  But the first FF album is still my favorite; back when they were still shaking off the vestiges of grunge.

---

5-18-15 9:14am (new)

jes_lawson
I don't know what I'm doing either

Member Rated:

Plus one for evil_d there - Offspring were braintape from old times for me.  I could go on at length about how I got into the Pixies off the back of them, and how I got laid listening to the first couple of Foo Fighters albums, but... let's leave that out...

Bar Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and a few other tracks, I'm not a big fan of Green Day or any of the other pop-punk lot.  But I found Stripcreator to be a great place to listen to , and discover, old and new bands; I try not to rule anything out.

---
Please replace the handset, and try again.

5-19-15 5:56pm (new)

Matchbook_Romance
Going. Coming.

Member Rated:

At least we have the time to listen to you whine.

I'm in the "I liked some of their old hits" category when it comes to Green Day. I think it's pretty cool they've held up for so long.

5-20-15 10:38pm (new)

pita
La fille qui a joué avec le feu

Member Rated:

♪ ♫ Another turning point, a fork stuck in your head... ♪ ♫

---
“It is only with the heart that one sees rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1945)

9-14-15 12:08am (new)

ZMannZilla
Ex-Zombie Hunting Dad Creature

Member Rated:

I have this great idea for a cover band. We're going to do punk covers of Green Day songs.

---
"He was cursed with a horrorshow of a face, like Guiseppe Archbold doing a study of mollusk tumors."

5-16-16 2:48pm (new)

Injokester
Definitely drunk

Member Rated:

evil_d wrote:

If I could have picked one '90s punk band to get a Broadway show, it would have been the Offspring.  But only if the show were based on something from their first three albums.

Nobody should get a broadway show until someone finally does Mad Max: The Musical

---
Dinosaurs had eggs bro, the chicken came way later.

5-18-16 9:11pm (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

Funny. I've never really cared for them, either.

Nirvana was good, though. Amazing how they went from the throbbing gristle of Bleach to the fuzzy sheen of Nevermind. Poor Kurt couldn't handle it all, though.

At least Dave Grohl is still around acting like some Rock Ambassador -- not a terrible thing if I made it sound that way. I didn't have much use for the Foos after The Colour and the Shape, but Dave redeemed himself by doing the Sound City thing and pushing for Rush to get into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame (which he shouldn't have had to do, but that's another paragraph or three).

Never cared much for The Offspring, either. But I like Cake.

Pixies deserve their own paragraph, too. They eventually went for the Pop crossover with Trompe Le Monde, but damn if they didn't sound good doing it. I love that record. They had already moved in that direction with Bossanova, anyway.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

12-12-16 12:10am (new)

brycekain
AFallenMind.com

Member Rated:

Nirvana sucked balls.

---
...and if you liked that one, here's a link to my other stupid shit.

12-16-16 8:53pm (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Since this seems like the thread for it, can I get an amen for my opinion that Hamilton is not good hip-hop?  It never stops sounding like it's designed for social studies teachers to play to get their students "jazzed" about America's "OGs".  And if that is what you need, I wouldn't throw out that 1776 videocassette just yet.

---

1-03-17 8:13am (new)

Porternotes

Member Rated:

In my opinion, Hamilton is a broadway "afterschool special".

---

1-06-17 7:43am (new)

evil_d

Member Rated:

Thank you!  It seems like everybody likes it and I can't figure out why.  I feel like the kid in The Emperor's New Clothes.

---

1-06-17 8:49am (new)

Porternotes

Member Rated:

I imagine it was pitched like this:

"It's learning, but we'll put it to a hiphop beat.  People won't even notice they're getting their minds freaked!"

---

1-12-17 7:39am (new)

umfumdisi
Forum comment:

Member Rated:

It has "hip hop"? I just thought it was an overbearing musical about Alexander Hamilton. Now it sounds even worse than I suspected.

And I'm not anti-Broadway. I've seen Phantom, Les Mis, Oklahoma!, Sound of Music, The Mikado and Cats to name a few.

Cats is complete crap, BTW; I couldn't wait for that shit to be over, and I like cats.

---
Chicken Feather Bed Bugs Bunny Hop Sing Out Side Street Walker Texas Ranger Cookie Dough Boy Wonder Years

1-29-17 1:04am (new)

ZMannZilla
Ex-Zombie Hunting Dad Creature

Member Rated:

Meh, Hamilton is still better than any given Lil Jon song. I realize it's not a high bar, but there you have it.

I'm also willing to grade on the curve since this is Lin-Manuel Miranda's first attempt at a rap musical, a genre which itself doesn't have a whole lot of examples (TBH I can't think of any other rap musicals). Hopefully its flaws will serve to inspire another artist to do better.

---
"He was cursed with a horrorshow of a face, like Guiseppe Archbold doing a study of mollusk tumors."

2-02-17 8:42am (new)

Stripcreator » General Discussion » Try as I might, I can't stand Green Day

reload page with comics

Jump to:

Post A Reply

stripcreator
Make a comic
Your comics
Create account
Forums
Help